Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ihop posted:

I keep getting black eyes. Second one in as many weeks. This one is so bad it's leaking into my sclera, turning my eye all bloodshot. Very professional looking at work.

No one's gonna gently caress with you at work though. Hopefully you don't have a job that requires social contact with people who wouldn't understand how much BJJ owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

ihop posted:

I keep getting black eyes. Second one in as many weeks. This one is so bad it's leaking into my sclera, turning my eye all bloodshot. Very professional looking at work.

Are they caused by the same move tagging you or is it just bad luck?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I think it's mostly my fault. Usually happens when I'm trying to pass guard. I usually try to stand up and hand-fight the legs to set up a leg drag/weave. I also like to crash the hips for an over/double under pass. I tend to run into knees somewhere in there. I also tend to catch them when someone tries to aggressively reguard when I pop up into a tight combat base(?) One knee down, one knee up, front knee and elbow connected, face near the front hand.

I'm also the dumb blue belt who likes to push the pace, and most of them happen when I run into someone who wants to play the same game. It's like two Highlanders meeting or something.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

ihop posted:

I think it's mostly my fault. Usually happens when I'm trying to pass guard. I usually try to stand up and hand-fight the legs to set up a leg drag/weave. I also like to crash the hips for an over/double under pass. I tend to run into knees somewhere in there. I also tend to catch them when someone tries to aggressively reguard when I pop up into a tight combat base(?) One knee down, one knee up, front knee and elbow connected, face near the front hand.

I'm also the dumb blue belt who likes to push the pace, and most of them happen when I run into someone who wants to play the same game. It's like two Highlanders meeting or something.

I was just curious because I have/had an amazing ability to jump face first into knees. It's a skill...?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
It's definitely an art.

Edit- as for not having to deal with awkward social contacts, I work EMS, so nothing but odd looks from total strangers and ER staff all day.

ihop fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 18, 2018

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A while back I read/heard some jiu jitsu famous person say "Everything above the neck is neck," re: RNCs. Anyone know the source of that?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Demian Maia demonstrated that principle with Rick Story. If your squeeze is strong enough, being under the chin itself isn’t necessary.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I feel like that's something that Rogan would say.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

JaySB posted:

I feel like that's something that Rogan would say.

Yeah, which is why I qualified it. I kinda remember it being something like Rogan: "You know what Rigan Machado says about that, right?" Guest: "What?" Rogan: "Everything &c..."

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

The other week I was being stubborn about an RNC that was over my chin while I was attempting to escape. Partner kept going until my chin was almost behind my shoulder before I tapped. My partner isn't a particularly strong guy. I haven't been able to comfortably look to my left since.

Moral of the story is: everything above the neck is the neck. Tap.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I tried for a collar choke in rolling finally and pulled it off and seriously collar chokes feel like a cheat code I kind of hate using them

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Neon Belly posted:

The other week I was being stubborn about an RNC that was over my chin while I was attempting to escape. Partner kept going until my chin was almost behind my shoulder before I tapped. My partner isn't a particularly strong guy. I haven't been able to comfortably look to my left since.

Moral of the story is: everything above the neck is the neck. Tap.

Chin Locks are no joke and not something to be screwed with. A broken neck or broken jaw is not a fun time I assume.

widunder
May 2, 2002

CommonShore posted:

A while back I read/heard some jiu jitsu famous person say "Everything above the neck is neck," re: RNCs. Anyone know the source of that?
Also Braulio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6LFkdeSox0

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think you need long arms to do Braulio’s trick effectively. I’ve tried and failed at it often.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Defenestrategy posted:

Chin Locks are no joke and not something to be screwed with. A broken neck or broken jaw is not a fun time I assume.

Are there any examples of a neck being broken like this, or by other BJJ chokes?

I've often found it a bit funny while watching martial arts movies, where all it takes is a flick of the wrist and the bad guys neck is broken. But irl I've seen some necks twist in some very disturbing ways to no ill effect.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Count Roland posted:

Are there any examples of a neck being broken like this, or by other BJJ chokes?

I've often found it a bit funny while watching martial arts movies, where all it takes is a flick of the wrist and the bad guys neck is broken. But irl I've seen some necks twist in some very disturbing ways to no ill effect.

I cant think of famous examples, but anecdotally in nogi if someone puts their chin down during a properly applied RNC I have no doubt I have enough leverage left after they tap to the chin lock to have gone way further if I want. If not breaking the neck then atleast dislocating the jaw and hyper extending any muscles involved.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Defenestrategy posted:

I cant think of famous examples, but anecdotally in nogi if someone puts their chin down during a properly applied RNC I have no doubt I have enough leverage left after they tap to the chin lock to have gone way further if I want. If not breaking the neck then atleast dislocating the jaw and hyper extending any muscles involved.

Isn't that true for a lot of things in BJJ? Isn't it on the person being hyper extended/dislocated to tap?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

spacetoaster posted:

Isn't that true for a lot of things in BJJ? Isn't it on the person being hyper extended/dislocated to tap?

Yes. Except in cases of people like Rousimar Palhares that hold on long after tap, someone just toughing out a submission is accepting liability for the outcome, imo.

c.f. angela magana and her twister injured back. I do not fault the person applying the submission at all.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Imo with the chin lock it's easy to release the pressure - by lifting your chin (and accepting the sweet release of the RNC).

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

CommonShore posted:

Imo with the chin lock it's easy to release the pressure - by lifting your chin (and accepting the sweet release of the RNC).

I have great success with just grabbing their choking arm with both hands and doing a pull up type motion.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Not tapping is the dumbest poo poo ever and I blame pro wrestling

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

I have great success with just grabbing their choking arm with both hands and doing a pull up type motion.

In the words of Kurt Ossiander,if you wind up in this position you hosed up a long time ago. I just accept the sweet release of the RNC, because in my weight division you're not gonna have the strength to haul someones RNC hand down.

spacetoaster posted:

Yea, but a bunch of idiots will look at certain submissions and go "LOL LIKE THAT'LL EVER ACTUALLY HURT SOMEONE I CAN TOUGH IT OUT", so it's a worthwhile comment to be made for non-traditional moves that "Yes, from this position they shouldn't be tapping because they're annoyed, they're tapping because you can totally rip the submission and no poo poo gently caress them up.

See: Bicep/Calf Slicers, Compression chokes, most catch wrestling holds.

CommonShore posted:

This is true.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 19, 2018

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

spacetoaster posted:

In the longer run, this position favours the strangle, not the escape. I can blast out of white and most blue belts' RNCs like this - really it's more of a function of buying myself a second to exploit the space they give to my hips and back - but against purple belts and up it's game over once that choking arm gets to my shoulder.

Which comes back to my original thought about who said that thing - I've started just taking the chin lock when people give it to me, and I'm getting far more taps than I expected.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I finally think I am over the cardio hump. Managed four rounds in a row without a break

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

The takedown potentials with the Russian Tie feel pretty awesome. I feel like I have a lot of control. I hit one this morning during nogi class that was almost like an uchi mata and then turned into a tai otoshi like situation. Usually dont play around with Russian Tie but Im learning to like it.

Any Russian tie takedowns you guys prefer that are maybe a good startoff point?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

The takedown potentials with the Russian Tie feel pretty awesome. I feel like I have a lot of control. I hit one this morning during nogi class that was almost like an uchi mata and then turned into a tai otoshi like situation. Usually dont play around with Russian Tie but Im learning to like it.

If I'm feeling spry, I use the russian tie to pick up single legs. If I'm feeling lazy I use the tie to get a weird tani otoshi by taking the close arm going to a far hip/belt grip while keeping far hand on wrist/sleeve.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I like to piss them off with the broken posture for a few seconds and then push the wrist into their chest and feed my other arm deeper (making a fist) into a kimura-esque position and then do a sacrifice throw with it. You land in a near-arm-kimura-thing that’s not too hard to finish.

The trigger is when they get a bit of posture back and the arm is starting to slip out, pushing that wrist in keeps you in control. Works best when combined with a couple of simpler takedowns. If you’re having trouble with the armlock, you have to make sure it’s really deep while you’re still standing.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I like switching the near hand to a lat/waist grip, put a lot of pressure on the back of the shoulder, then hit a yoko sumi gaeshi.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Armdrag and also duckunder on the opposite side as they defend it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Just only the coolest throw ever, Kata Guruma! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7_Yy-NB198) just move into side control, ignore the goofy as gently caress entry into the kneebar.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
weeeeeee https://i.imgur.com/Vf83UMy.gifv

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Good God drat!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

If you can't do an iminari roll by now, turn in your no gi belt.

They are actually easier than it looks. (hitting in a comp is something else entirely)

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Drewjitsu posted:

If you can't do an iminari roll by now, turn in your no gi belt.

They are actually easier than it looks. (hitting in a comp is something else entirely)

did you just brag about being able to hit a move and then immediately admit that you can't hit it against a resisting opponent aka you can't hit the move

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

gently caress. I just realized I can’t hit any moves :smith:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

did you just brag about being able to hit a move and then immediately admit that you can't hit it against a resisting opponent aka you can't hit the move

A fine example of verbal jiujitsu. Oss.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

the man is very good at spinning on his back like a breakdancing ninja turtle

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Like that dude has to have a bit of background in Capoeira yeah, it looks like he was doing that stance for that

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like that dude has to have a bit of background in Capoeira yeah, it looks like he was doing that stance for that

No, he has that stance because he's known for spamming imanari rolls in competition. There's footage of him hitting it on a bunch of people in competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

break squad!