Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Omobono posted:

Even Jrod would admit that loving 5 million watermelons in a day (or year) is impossible.

You know drat well that he wouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
There are a fair few of us Jews around the thread, it seems.

I could go into a long-winded rant/explanation of some Jewish approaches to suffering and wealth and things like that if people are really interested, though it'd be on a fairly basic level.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

*shrug* I dunno, maybe I just never had any other alternative so I'm just used to it? I don't think believing in a just world really seems to make people much happier, given that people can manifestly do it and still be bloody miserable. I would suggest in no small part because of the dissonance they must experience living in a manifestly unjust world.

It's not a huge leap to adjust your mental filter from "oh well I'm sure that [bad things] are just a blip, the world's still basically alright" to "oh well yeah it's crap but there's nothing I personally can do about it right now"

We all live by not actively and fully engaging with the lovely state of the world around us every second of the day, and you don't have to do that any more when you believe that the world is not inherently just, what mostly changes is how you act when you do engage with it, which is limited by how robust of a person you are. Some people aren't equipped to do that often, some are equipped to do it a hell of a lot, but I don't think that has a lot of bearing on the idea of whether the world is just or not, other than perhaps engaging with the world you live in a lot is perhaps going to make it harder to believe it's inherently just.

I think what makes you miserable is being unable to stop engaging with the world, not having that filter at all, which is, I think, independent of subscribing to the just world fallacy, though I suppose religious practice might be the vehicle which helps some people switch off so there's a correlation there.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
As means of an explanation, my given forename is "Geoff", which is pronounced exactly the same as "Jeff". "Geoff" is the dominant spelling in the UK, Australia, NZ and is even fairly common in Canada, but very rare in the US. I've lived quite a few years in America and I have had many, many Americans genuinely believe that that name is pronounced "Gee-off (2 syllables)" - sometimes with a hard 'G', sometimes soft - or other bizarre permutations. I would always replay "It's just 'Jeff', thanks", thus the name.

theshim posted:

There are a fair few of us Jews around the thread, it seems.

I could go into a long-winded rant/explanation of some Jewish approaches to suffering and wealth and things like that if people are really interested, though it'd be on a fairly basic level.

Not surprisingly, I would like to hear (read) this.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

JustJeff88 posted:

As means of an explanation, my given forename is "Geoff", which is pronounced exactly the same as "Jeff". "Geoff" is the dominant spelling in the UK, Australia, NZ and is even fairly common in Canada, but very rare in the US. I've lived quite a few years in America and I have had many, many Americans genuinely believe that that name is pronounced "Gee-off (2 syllables)" - sometimes with a hard 'G', sometimes soft - or other bizarre permutations. I would always replay "It's just 'Jeff', thanks", thus the name.

Not surprisingly, I would like to hear (read) this.

Phew, and here I thought Jeff was a reference to Hitler's nickname in art school.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Now let's math this out. 5 million watermelons in a day, yeah that's impossible, but in a year that's 13699 a day. 857 an hour with 8 hours sleep. As long as you don't assume a need for, ahem, completion with each watermelon, a conveyer belt bringing the watermelons to the hosed could almost certainly provide the necessary pace of 15 watermelons a minute.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

reignonyourparade posted:

Now let's math this out. 5 million watermelons in a day, yeah that's impossible, but in a year that's 13699 a day. 857 an hour with 8 hours sleep. As long as you don't assume a need for, ahem, completion with each watermelon, a conveyer belt bringing the watermelons to the hosed could almost certainly provide the necessary pace of 15 watermelons a minute.

Two seconds to thrust in, two to pull out, as long as you're on a nutrient iv you should be fine to go without eating, and presumably you could watch TV while doing pelvic thrusts, really the only issue is atrophy for the rest of your body and the risk of repetitive stress injuries.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I might suggest that having your penis immersed in watermelon for 16 hours a day in constant motion may present an issue fairly quickly.

Not least the facility of said penis to issue in future.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 18, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

paragon1 posted:

It's like the Grail room in The Last Crusade but which Grail is right keeps changing also there is a dozen Nazis giving you the same bad picks.

It's like the grail room except the right grail is locked behind a door with a big sign that just says "nepotism."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

Nevertheless, as I grew older I could no longer reconcile the Prosperity Gospel myth that is inherent to Christianity

It's not inherent to Christianity, quite the opposite in fact. Jesus says over and over that those who suffer the most in this life are the favorites of God and will be blessed in the next, He says over and over that those who follow Him will be tortured by the world (and not like "oh noes I have to make a cake for a homo" petite-bourg suburban white American ideas of what it's like to be oppressed, but like actual privation, starvation, mutilation and martyrdom), He says you can only follow Him if you give up your earthly wealth, He says your family won't understand and will disown you, etc.

Prosperity Gospel is basically an early modern invention to change the religion into something that glorifies the rich and powerful and shits on the poor, so obv it became hugely popular in America a country built on expropriation, slavery, theft, and genocide.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

reignonyourparade posted:

As long as you don't assume a need for, ahem, completion

Ahem excuse me I believe you'll find "joinder" is the proper term of art for this situation.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The prosperity gospel as we know it now in America traces back to Calvinism which started in the 16th century. And yeah it's so far gone from what Jesus actually taught that it's literally incompatible with what Christianity is actually supposed to be. The temptation of wealth is too huge so it's best to avoid it. More importantly you are supposed to help those less fortunate so hoarding a bunch of wealth without sharing it is inherently sinful. If a man with more food than he needs encounters a hungry man then he is to give to the hungry man according to what Jesus actually taught. No means testing, no asking questions, no worrying about if he is worthy. He's a fellow human and he is hungry so if you can then you share food with him. The prosperity gospel says it's not only ok but actually the right thing to do to deny the hungry man and blame him for his situation.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
The Conservapedia thread's been idle for quite some time so I don't know if people remember Andy Schlafly's Conservative Bible Project or whatever the hell he called it, but I distinctly remember him arbitrarily deciding discovering that a better translation was to substitute "idle miser" for "rich man" in Matthew 19:24 (that's the camel-through-the-eye-of-a-needle one), because the problem wasn't being wealthy but not putting your money to work which of course would allow the market to fix any/all social problems for the deserving poor.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 18, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Very sure that Jesus was talking about modern monetary theory with that parable.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

There was the parable of the three servants where only the servant who wisely invested his master's money and made mad capital gains was rewarded, and of course that was intended to be 100% literal with no deeper meaning behind it, just like the Book of Genesis.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

OwlFancier posted:

Very sure that Jesus was talking about modern monetary theory with that parable.

It's important to remember that a big part of American Evangelical Protestantism is that the Bible was written as a secret code meant specifically for you, yes you personally, right now. Those centuries of religious study and interpretation were pointless, because they weren't the intended audience, who are 21st Century American Evangelical Protestants. Are you reading Kings and aren't sure who Asherah was? Don't bother looking up mythology or anthropology sources, Asherah is just code for Michelle Obama's school lunch program and was always meant that way.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
You lot are making it very hard for me to enjoy my favourite fruit, which I used to only think of as a source of nourishment and consume only in a completely non-sexual way.

VitalSigns posted:

It's not inherent to Christianity, quite the opposite in fact. Jesus says over and over that those who suffer the most in this life are the favorites of God and will be blessed in the next, He says over and over that those who follow Him will be tortured by the world (and not like "oh noes I have to make a cake for a homo" petite-bourg suburban white American ideas of what it's like to be oppressed, but like actual privation, starvation, mutilation and martyrdom), He says you can only follow Him if you give up your earthly wealth, He says your family won't understand and will disown you, etc.

Prosperity Gospel is basically an early modern invention to change the religion into something that glorifies the rich and powerful and shits on the poor, so obv it became hugely popular in America a country built on expropriation, slavery, theft, and genocide.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The prosperity gospel as we know it now in America traces back to Calvinism which started in the 16th century. And yeah it's so far gone from what Jesus actually taught that it's literally incompatible with what Christianity is actually supposed to be. The temptation of wealth is too huge so it's best to avoid it. More importantly you are supposed to help those less fortunate so hoarding a bunch of wealth without sharing it is inherently sinful. If a man with more food than he needs encounters a hungry man then he is to give to the hungry man according to what Jesus actually taught. No means testing, no asking questions, no worrying about if he is worthy. He's a fellow human and he is hungry so if you can then you share food with him. The prosperity gospel says it's not only ok but actually the right thing to do to deny the hungry man and blame him for his situation.

Oh, I'm well aware of this despite having a far greater familiarity with the Old Testament than the New, for obvious reasons, but religion is a human construction and if the dominant belief has shifted to "gently caress the poor" than that's what Christianity is about now, even if it spits in the face of the teachings of its most sacred figure. I think that you can see why someone would move away from a belief system that has morphed from "love thy neighbour and help the helpless" to "The lazy fuckers had it coming, bugger them"

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Phew, and here I thought Jeff was a reference to Hitler's nickname in art school.

Another thing I wish that I had never known. :sigh:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Okay but there are active strains of Christianity that aren't Prosperity Gospel.

I am not a Christian or anything, but writing off the whole religion as "Prosperity Gospel" is just plain inaccurate, even if you ignore the writings and look only at what people believe now there are still active schools of Christian thought that reject it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

OwlFancier posted:

I might suggest that having your penis immersed in watermelon for 16 hours a day in constant motion may present an issue fairly quickly.

Not least the facility of said penis to issue in future.

We'll obviously you'd be wearing protection, otherwise your DNA might get left in the watermelon, and if you don't make sure to dispose of it properly then you'd only have yourself to blame when someone uses it to make a genemodded clone of you and then psychically implant a command in it's subconscious to kill you at an inopportune moment.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Okay but there are active strains of Christianity that aren't Prosperity Gospel.

I am not a Christian or anything, but writing off the whole religion as "Prosperity Gospel" is just plain inaccurate, even if you ignore the writings and look only at what people believe now there are still active schools of Christian thought that reject it.

Seriously. I've met some insanely nice Christians that really paid attention and try to be very Christ-like. These are the ones that live simply, donate excess money to charity, and do stuff like help run homeless shelters. The issue is that American culture encourages narcissism, greed, gluttony, and pride while recent sects of Christianity are saying you can he have that way, still be Christian, and still go to heaven.

It also goes back to 19th century thought there. The robber barons argued that they must be more righteous because if they weren't God would never let them be wealthy. The poor were being punished for their awful behaviour because they were so obviously a bunch of lustful, lazy drunkards. They also did "sins of the father" justifications for slavery on a similar vein. Obviously if one was a slave it was because of punishment for some sin and obviously black people are inferior heathens so we obviously much punish them for their own good while forcing them to give up whatever traditional faiths they had. So you see taking wealth from the rich and ending slavery were going against His will. Whatever happened to you in life you deserved either because of your behavior or the behavior of your ancestors. Those teachings are really attractive to the rich or the temporally embarrassed millionaire.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Seriously. I've met some insanely nice Christians that really paid attention and try to be very Christ-like. These are the ones that live simply, donate excess money to charity, and do stuff like help run homeless shelters. The issue is that American culture encourages narcissism, greed, gluttony, and pride while recent sects of Christianity are saying you can he have that way, still be Christian, and still go to heaven.

It also goes back to 19th century thought there. The robber barons argued that they must be more righteous because if they weren't God would never let them be wealthy. The poor were being punished for their awful behaviour because they were so obviously a bunch of lustful, lazy drunkards. They also did "sins of the father" justifications for slavery on a similar vein. Obviously if one was a slave it was because of punishment for some sin and obviously black people are inferior heathens so we obviously much punish them for their own good while forcing them to give up whatever traditional faiths they had. So you see taking wealth from the rich and ending slavery were going against His will. Whatever happened to you in life you deserved either because of your behavior or the behavior of your ancestors. Those teachings are really attractive to the rich or the temporally embarrassed millionaire.

Not that you aren't correct, Slurpee, but I'm trying to decide if you're American and growing up there made you really despise the culture or if you are from elsewhere and just came to justifiably hate the worst aspects of American culture via the fact that it imposes itself in everything.

I was essentially the latter. I grew up in comfortable middle-class circumstances in a small city in Britain, come to the US, got hosed over hard by the terrible post-secondary education and health care systems, came to hate most of what the country stood for and then got to enjoy watching the land I grew up in become poisoned by a combination of Thatcherism and American cultural imperialism, mixed with a huge dollop of neo-fascist xenophobia.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

JustJeff88 posted:

Not that you aren't correct, Slurpee, but I'm trying to decide if you're American and growing up there made you really despise the culture or if you are from elsewhere and just came to justifiably hate the worst aspects of American culture via the fact that it imposes itself in everything.

I was essentially the latter. I grew up in comfortable middle-class circumstances in a small city in Britain, come to the US, got hosed over hard by the terrible post-secondary education and health care systems, came to hate most of what the country stood for and then got to enjoy watching the land I grew up in become poisoned by a combination of Thatcherism and American cultural imperialism, mixed with a huge dollop of neo-fascist xenophobia.

I grew up right smack in the heart of America's rust belt. My upbringing was in a region heavy on evangelical Christianity. I'm part Polish on top of it all. I also spent much of my life living in poverty and only got out due to dumb luck. The icing in the poo poo sandwich is that I struggle with mental issues so yes growing up here made me loving hate the prevailing culture. I've spent pretty much my entire life getting poo poo on by it.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Keeshhound posted:

Two seconds to thrust in, two to pull out, as long as you're on a nutrient iv you should be fine to go without eating, and presumably you could watch TV while doing pelvic thrusts, really the only issue is atrophy for the rest of your body and the risk of repetitive stress injuries.

Obligatory Silicon Valley reference:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMeqEDEfniA

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
I'm not sure you'd survive all the drugs needed to keep it up for the entire process.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pff, spoken someone who is not fuelled by the actualization of their free will.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

Another thing I wish that I had never known. :sigh:

hitler was not nicknamed jeff at any time

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Jazerus posted:

hitler was not nicknamed jeff at any time

stalin, on the other hand

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

I actually understand in part the Just World Fallacy, because without it humans lose all sense of hope, which is the basis for what pathetic morality people still have. Nevertheless, it's poison to a society because it makes victims out of the victimised and casts the exploited (the poor) as the victims while turning the real leeches in society (entrepreneurs) into heroes. A lot of countries are bad about this, but it's one of the things I hate... especially about the US where it's the worst. A combination of religious ideals and "temporarily embarrassed millionaires" is a horrible cocktail, and if there is a culture that despises the poor and worships celebrities and the wealthy even more than the USA, I don't want to see it.

I think that people discount the role that Christianity in the west has played in the vilification of the underclass, though this hatred of the oppressed seems to be much stronger among Protestants than Catholics in my experience. I was raised both Protestant by my mother's family and Jewish by my father's; I was both baptised and underwent a brit milah (bris) as well as having a bar mitzvah. Believe it or not, I actually had a pretty positive experience with Christianity as I was exposed to it. There were no "fire and brimstone" speeches where you were threatened with hell for every supposed fault, nobody told me to set fire to homosexuals and it was mostly about being nice to people, not stealing and learning lessons from Jesus. My Jewish grandfather even told me that while he didn't believe in the divinity of Jesus, he always said that he was a mensch and a pretty good role model in some ways. Nevertheless, as I grew older I could no longer reconcile the Prosperity Gospel myth that is inherent to Christianity and I drifted away from it. I don't know if there are any other Jews in this thread (possibly WrenP?), but Judaism has always had this underpinning of "Life sucks, make the best of it" that I can accept. It's most likely a result of all of the horrible things that have been done to the Jewish people over the centuries for no reason while Christians have almost always been the oppressors, but it's a culture that clearly recognizes that one can do everything "right" in life and still get hosed over hard. Capitalist disillusionment and personal struggle made me realise that if there even is a god then he either doesn't care, can't get involved or chooses not to, so there's no point in assuming that one reaps what one sows.

Not if they are rolling down a hill... I assume.

I had a Christian experience vaguely similar to yours, just be cool to each other don't be a dick

It wasn't until later that I learned that the Bible actually has some hilarious stuff in it. Like in one story Jesus is hungry so he goes to a date tree to get a snack, and when he discovers that the tree doesn't have any dates he basically whispers "gently caress you, tree" and causes it to whither and die on the spot.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Polygynous posted:

stalin, on the other hand

Geozef Stalin

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

QuarkJets posted:

I had a Christian experience vaguely similar to yours, just be cool to each other don't be a dick

It wasn't until later that I learned that the Bible actually has some hilarious stuff in it. Like in one story Jesus is hungry so he goes to a date tree to get a snack, and when he discovers that the tree doesn't have any dates he basically whispers "gently caress you, tree" and causes it to whither and die on the spot.

Jesus fuckin owned.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Neo Rasa posted:

Jesus fuckin owned.

The poo poo he gets up to in the Infant Gospel of Thomas is hilarious.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The meaning of the parable of the date tree is full communism now.

not really it's actually about the need to come to Christ immediately don't wait do it now fucker but you didn't hear that from me

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

The poo poo he gets up to in the Infant Gospel of Thomas is hilarious.

In the Acts of Thomas, Thomas doesn't want to go preach the gospel in India, so Jesus comes back in human form and sells him into slavery to a merchant who's headed that way. The apocrypha are the loving best.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
If you incorporate yourself then hire enough employees you can gently caress five million watermelons in an hour.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

White Coke posted:

If you incorporate yourself then hire enough employees you can gently caress five million watermelons in an hour.

Just like a capitalist to degrade the art and skill of skilled artisan melonfucking for the sake of industrial-speed melonfucking!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

White Coke posted:

Automation has surpassed this. Robot dildos for all watermelon fuckery.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Just like a capitalist to degrade the art and skill of skilled artisan melonfucking for the sake of industrial-speed melonfucking!

You forget what thread this is.

CommieGIR posted:

Automation has surpassed this. Robot dildos for all watermelon fuckery.

If a human isn't involved is it really loving?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

LTV would suggest that the manufacturer of the robot is doing the loving, so yes.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Libertarians: home of industrial teledildonic watermelon loving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
You guys just don't get it. Though no entrepreneur could gently caress 5 million watermelons (until the singularity, that is, when melon-loving capabilities will veer off the graphs toward infinity), he may desire to gently caress ANY of his 5 million watermelons at any point in time. Thus it is not only fair but a moral imperative for him to hoard and accumulate as much as required, free from government interference.

Not only that, but should he have a fetish, for, say, loving a watermelon while in space, science and aerospace tech will benefit enormously from his drive!