Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paulywallywalrus
Sep 10, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

That's the canonical end of the Sole Survivor's journey

There's no other way to go out

Some say the survivor is still out there somewhere. I hear tell he became a ghoul and joined a colony of ghouls on the moon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Paulywallywalrus posted:

a colony of ghouls on the moon!

is there a mod yet that plays this when the ship launches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF32DRg9opA

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

Pretty much the same thing you do now, go on quests, explore the world. It's the part where you become literally a superhero and get to choose the outcome of the story that I hate. No other medium don't let you do that poo poo.

To take Fallout 3 as example, very little would even need to change, just the god awful ending. You can even have the Enclave or Brotherhood emerge victorious based on your cumulative actions or something if you want to make the ending somewhat malleable. Just don't make it reliant on the player to do everything, don't make the player character ultra cozy with Elder Lyons, probably replace the Raven Rock sequence with something else.

I don't want to play an action movie, or a superhero movie, I want to play a good movie. And it's not that action movies are bad necessarily, just repetitive and uninteresting.
might i suggest to you a david cage game

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That's what I would recommend to someone who likes good movies and doesn't want to influence the outcome of the story.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I'm afraid I'm going to have to officially demote Honest Hearts to the position of "Least Favorite Fallout New Vegas DLC" (Good news Dead Money! You're moving up in the world!)

Actually I think you're gonna find that Dead Money is and always has been the best DLC. :colbert:

I mean, all of you who hate the Courier making Extremely Important Decisions for everybody should love Dead Money. It teaches you that you're just a pawn like everybody else, and in the end you just walk your rear end home having never really resolved anything apart from killing another madman with plenty more waiting for you back in the Mojave. I used to not really care for Dead Money, but ultimately it's the one DLC I keep returning to because I like the bleakness of it and how different it is from the main game.

Old World Blues is silly, and I like silly, but silliness can only carry it so far when 99% of the gameplay takes place in that loving school. Personally I'd rank them: Dead Money > Old World Blues > Honest Hearts >>> Lonesome Road.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Keeshhound posted:

If you actually ask Daniel about it he tells you outright that the Sorrows have hunters and have killed White Legs in self defense. The issue for him is that they've never actually engaged in the kind of concerted aggressive fighting that war entails, and he's worried about the effect it will have on them.

Well that explains that, disregard the parts of a my previous posts that complained about this.

King Vidiot posted:

Actually I think you're gonna find that Dead Money is and always has been the best DLC. :colbert:

I mean, all of you who hate the Courier making Extremely Important Decisions for everybody should love Dead Money. It teaches you that you're just a pawn like everybody else, and in the end you just walk your rear end home having never really resolved anything apart from killing another madman with plenty more waiting for you back in the Mojave. I used to not really care for Dead Money, but ultimately it's the one DLC I keep returning to because I like the bleakness of it and how different it is from the main game.

Old World Blues is silly, and I like silly, but silliness can only carry it so far when 99% of the gameplay takes place in that loving school. Personally I'd rank them: Dead Money > Old World Blues > Honest Hearts >>> Lonesome Road.

Here's the thing: I loved the story of Dead Money, and I adored the characters (They're some of the most interesting and best developed in all of New Vegas, and that's saying something given how top notch all the other characters in New Vegas are), I just hated the mechanics so much I don't ever want to replay it again.

Dead Money is sort of like the Anti-Honest Hearts to me: The more I think back on the story, the more I find reasons to love it. It has some of my favorite moments not just in New Vegas, but in any story ever (I literally cried at the end of Dog/God's story arc where you have the opportunity to help them unite into a new stable personality.).

However, when I think about having to ever again backtrack through those loving villa streets my skin starts to crawl. It just wasn't my kind of fun, in fact I hated it.

And that's why I (formerly) ranked Dead Money last in my DLC rankings, despite loving so much about it. Enjoyable gameplay is pretty important to me when it comes to enjoying a game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I watched the Rage 2 gameplay again and it had me thinking just how amazing a fallout game running on iD Tech 6 or MGSV's Fox engine would look.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

might i suggest to you a david cage game

Ah yes, because when I say I want a Fallout game with all of the same combat and open world exploration mechanics, but a plot and a wasteland environment less reliant on a messiah protagonist, what I really want is on-rails levels and a series of quick time events.

disclaimer: I haven't actually played any of Cage's games, though that conforms with what I have seen on YouTube (mostly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAhG9D9UO7c)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Not sure what this has to do with Fallout 76

https://twitter.com/fallout/status/1008706373335601152?s=21

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Rinkles posted:

Not sure what this has to do with Fallout 76

multiplayer soccer minigame confirmed, only $4.99 to play in your favorite teams uniform?????

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
I have this weird thing with Dead Money where I always beat it when I play a new NV game. Storywise it's my absolute favourite of all the DLC's. It's almost as if I've taken such a liking to the good parts of DM that I forget about all the bad.

... until I come across them again.

"Oh right the loving gas cloud"

"loving hell these stupid loving holograms"

"Why didn't I put points in Unarmed/Melee?!"

Going through all the bad aspects of Dead Money, though, is not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
please tell me old world blues was good

I think I have good memories from it but I'm not sure if it was actually fun & good or if it's just my brain warping it because I love that dumb Fallout sci-fi

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
old world blues is one of my favorite DLCs ever with Shimmering Isles.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I would've probably enjoyed it more if it was an FO2 expansion. The writing was fun, but playing it mostly wasn't.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

The writing was outstanding and genuinely funny. The Sink and its resident appliances constitute what may be the best player home in any game ever.

The actual labs were hit and miss and playing at level 30+ is a nightmare slog, in terms of combat.

I think it was the strongest of the FO3 + NV era DLC. But it certainly had flaws.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The good karma ending with everybody still alive might be my favorite ending ever. :kiddo:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i've never actually done any of the new Vegas dlc, should I try them out?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

gently caress yes

Dead Money is probably the worse, just because the engine is really bad for survival horror, but the story is good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

If you liked the base game, yeah. With the exception of Honest Hearts maybe, they're all kind of "messy" in their own way. You can definitely feel the budgetary and time constraints (which didn't stop Dead Money from being my favorite of the bunch).

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Dump some points into melee/energy weapons (or both) before doing OWB

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
you know I actually kinda wanted to start a new FO:NV playthrough just to do OWB again and I installed mods and everything... but man, time has not been kind on that old engine. I've spent so many hundreds of hours in Oblivion, FO3 and FO:NV but it's been too long since I touched any of them and it's hard to go back. Even with mods improve it, NV is so janky and drab that it's hard to get into :negative:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I had a similar reaction last time I tried. The shooting is especially awful.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Your Computer posted:

you know I actually kinda wanted to start a new FO:NV playthrough just to do OWB again and I installed mods and everything... but man, time has not been kind on that old engine. I've spent so many hundreds of hours in Oblivion, FO3 and FO:NV but it's been too long since I touched any of them and it's hard to go back. Even with mods improve it, NV is so janky and drab that it's hard to get into :negative:

Yeah, going back to stock FO3 is even worse. How they released a game with an FPS camera but no proper sighting view is loving baffling.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Maybe you'll be able to dive and play dead in fallout 76

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Official Twitter video just confirmed that stealth skills and [Hidden] crouching will hide your dot from other players on the map.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Prophecy120 posted:

Official Twitter video just confirmed that stealth skills and [Hidden] crouching will hide your dot from other players on the map.

Cant wait to play with 27 other people just crouch walking everywhere.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Randaconda posted:

gently caress yes

Dead Money is probably the worse, just because the engine is really bad for survival horror, but the story is good.

gently caress those bombs in the final area. Everything else was pretty fun in dead money. Might also suck if you don't have melee weapons trained up.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Replaying a bit of New Vegas (with mods!) recently and man... decade-old game chugging on my modern system with frame rate drops and sound garbles. Not all the time, just when it wants to.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Prophecy120 posted:

I feel like this game is at odds with itself

Paulywallywalrus
Sep 10, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Replaying a bit of New Vegas (with mods!) recently and man... decade-old game chugging on my modern system with frame rate drops and sound garbles. Not all the time, just when it wants to.

That happens even with 4. I clip into stair cases at least every few hours of play. Worst was in vault 81. Totally stuck.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New Vegas Stutter Remover is your friend.

I like how you can tell what areas were made first in Fallout 4 by the dialogue given to NPCs. You might not make it to Salem until mid game, but Barney and the PC both act like the player has never seen a Mirelurk before.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 19, 2018

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
I kind of like the idea of stealth skills affecting visibility to other players. I can only imagine there will be a perk where you don't show up on the map at all while running. Stealth builds could be a viable way to avoid getting randomly ganked.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Your Computer posted:

If you want to relive the memories of Old World Blues without actually having to play it I recommend watching Oxhorn's lore videoes on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulgKXypGw5M&list=PLX3Sax_xs4WQc49EPSTyK4T4duqrAWDad

He also has a series on Dead Money that I've been really enjoying, because I love everything about Dead Money except playing it.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
The thing with modding New Vegas and Fallout 3 is that it doesn't matter just how great your PC is, the engine itself can only handle so much. If you go easy on the visual mods and skip the ones that add extra NPCs it'll be just fine. I'm not a fan of the shooting either but melee and especially unarmed are loving awesome and the only way I play it nowadays. The perks you get for it are obscene and it never gets old punching someone with a power fist and watching their head fly off into the distance.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Old World Blues was great and my favorite of the four DLC packs.

Granted it does help that you get plenty of James Urbaniak voiceover...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

To play Fallout 3 & NV on my old laptop, I had to get mods to remove various clutter and particle effects

New laptop runs them both just fine without any of that

I also remember one mod for the Rivet City Stairwell that boosted the FPS of that area to uncanny valley levels of smoothness that jarred with the rest of the game, and I'd love if they'd been able to do that with the rest of the game

Also been watching (far too many of) Many A True Nerd's various Fallout playthroughs and enjoying all of them

And yes, OWB is every kind of good and then some, even with the dense enemy spawns (Animal Friend at least helps with the Nightstalkers, thankfully)

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

I’m sure this has been brought up earlier,but after all this good New Vegas discussion, I wanted to ruin everything by asking about FO4. To prepare my palette for Bethesda’s brand of East Coast “Spirit of ‘76” writing, I’m going to give FO4 a shot at love, with all of the DLC included. The first steps of the game are just so trite, I may hike the whole way to Far Harbor and see what that was like. Gotta conceptualize a build, though; I guess it will be less loot focused and more damage and charisma?

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 19, 2018

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Just console cheat all your stats to ten it's not like anything really matters in a Bethesda game. Just have fun.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The start of FO4 sucks, and I say this as someone who enjoys the game. My last couple of runs I've done with mods that unlock the level cap on perks because some stuff (like being able to build weapon/armor/etc. benches or trade between settlements) just feels like it should've been available from the get-go (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2986. Also alternate start mods that let you start at a higher level and in a different place (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18946/?tab=files)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Yea it's kinda poo poo you need such high int and charisma to build settlements when they make up such a huge amount of the gameplay.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Just console cheat all your stats to ten it's not like anything really matters in a Bethesda game. Just have fun.

This is kinda fun but then it makes an easy game even easier and it also makes it basically skyrim with guns. It might be what they are trying to do.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 19, 2018