Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
I can't wait to hear authentic American children's slang written by middle-aged Frenchmen.

No, seriously, I'm excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tragedienne posted:

I can't wait to hear authentic American children's slang written by middle-aged Frenchmen.

No, seriously, I'm excited.

To be fair, their new game Vampyr doesn't have any of the weird "French people writing English" turns of phrase, I'm guessing that they have learned to give all the writing a pass through a few native speakers by now.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

precision posted:

To be fair, their new game Vampyr doesn't have any of the weird "French people writing English" turns of phrase, I'm guessing that they have learned to give all the writing a pass through a few native speakers by now.

The dialogue in Life is Strange is a billion times better than Vampyr

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I advise art school kids for a living, and I can tell you the dialogue in Life is Strange is 1000% accurate in intent, if not in jargon.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
they should use this chance to bring back 'very' in the modern era

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Whoever the protagonist of LiS 2 is (I'm guessing it won't be Chris at any rate, but he will be important somehow and it'll probably take place in the same town at least) I actually kind of hope they do something different this time and it won't be another high school setting.

Incidentally unlike Arcadia Bay (which was loosely based off of places like Astoria, Tillamook and Garibaldi according to the developers), Beaver Creek, OR actually is a real place.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 17, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Macaluso posted:

The dialogue in Life is Strange is a billion times better than Vampyr

I'm not speaking to quality, I'm speaking to the way a lot of the dialogue sounds like someone who doesn't speak English at all.

The dialogue in Vampyr might be "boring" or whatever to you, but as far as technical writing competency and line delivery, it is more natural.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

precision posted:

I'm not speaking to quality, I'm speaking to the way a lot of the dialogue sounds like someone who doesn't speak English at all.

The dialogue in Vampyr might be "boring" or whatever to you, but as far as technical writing competency and line delivery, it is more natural.

The dialogue in LiS does kind of improve a bit as the game goes on but I've never really had all that much issue with it (and like was mentioned, there are people who actually talk that way). But if the writing has improved that's still a good sign. Also, based on the Captain Spirit trailer they've figured out how to make the character models actually emote properly this time around as well.

That said, I'd still like a remastered version of the original game one day, even if the only real change was updated character models with actual facial expressions.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
I wonder if they will stick to the native american symbolism or if they they other other stuff for LiS more mystical themes. Or just cut it down for more mundane coming-of-age drama?

Would be kind of a shame even if the spirit animals and such did not amount to much for the core interpretation of the story.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well from what we've seen of Captain Spirit so far it seems the supernatural stuff is going to be mostly limited to Chris' imagination but I imagine there will be a bit more of it in the actual LiS 2 (though just how much remains to be seen). Even BtS had a little bit of that even if it was downplayed significantly (the raven, the fire and Chloe's dreams being somewhat prophetic).

Though I don't think we've really seen an actual spirit animal representing the protagonist of a LiS game just yet as all the ones we've had so far have been heavily implied to be the spirit of someone else (the doe was Rachel, the butterfly was Chloe and the raven was William). I wouldn't be surprised if that trend continued into LiS 2 as well.

The nature of these particular creatures seems to be different as well, such as how the doe does not show up in photographs but the butterfly does. Not sure about the raven though as while we see it in the real world a few times Chloe is the only one that really seems to notice it (and even then she never once mentions it, even in her journal).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 17, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

precision posted:

I don't agree at all, especially on the line delivery

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Larryb posted:

Though I don't think we've really seen an actual spirit animal representing the protagonist of a LiS game just yet as all the ones we've had so far have been heavily implied to be the spirit of someone else (the doe was Rachel, the butterfly was Chloe and the raven was William). I wouldn't be surprised if that trend continued into LiS 2 as well.

The nature of these particular creatures seems to be different as well, such as how the doe does not show up in photographs but the butterfly does. Not sure about the raven though as while we see it in the real world a few times Chloe is the only one that really seems to notice it (and even then she never once mentions it, even in her journal).

There is also the interpretation that doe, blue bird, and butterfly and their role in local native folklore correspond with the three female characters, who drive the plot. (I think "Panzer Skank" brought it up in her lp?)
Max and doe (compassion)
Chloe and the blue jay (trickster and troublemaker with good intentions)
Rachel and the butterfly (agent of change)

While this interpretation is as good as any other, it is intriguing for the key scene in the girl's bathroom, when Chloe gets shot. All three female leads for the story would be present in some capacity, when Max would get her time travel powers and kicks the chain of events and consequences in motion.

Did those three enter a covenant with the power-that-be to set things right and in exchange let a magic tornado of take the wicked corrupted institution of a town? The plot would be one anime fan-fiction writer short of getting Max a magical girl transformation and costume.

This is the point you realise, that you can't take a literal reading of the "magical realism" for the narrative Playing it fast and loose with some symbolism is for the better.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jun 18, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Can't speak for some of the minor animals we see in the games but I'm pretty sure about the Big 3 at any rate.

There are lots of interpretations you can make but I'm pretty sure the devs confirmed a while back that the doe was indeed Rachel's spirit (also the fact that it usually showed up around where she was buried). Not really sure what Rachel's personality as we know it now necessarily has to do with deer but there you go.

As for Chloe and the butterfly, it's interesting to note that it only really starts moving when Chloe dies, appearing later at the funeral. When Max saves Chloe the butterfly goes still, remaining perched on the bathroom sink. It also sort of fits with Chloe's character a bit (brilliant yet fragile) and neither of the two appear during the Sacrifice the Bay ending (though we do see a family of real deer in the ruins). As I've mentioned before, it's also possible that it was Chloe that somehow subconsciously granted both Rachel and Max their respective "powers" as both first came about while they were in Chloe's direct presence during a traumatic event (also the whole Chaos Butterfly thing).

Regarding William and the raven, from what little we see of him he seems to have had a bit of a jovial, fun-loving personality (and Chloe at her core is basically a mirror image of her dad with a bit of her mom's take-no-poo poo attitude thrown in) so coming back as a being that is widely regarded as a trickster spirit makes sense for him in that case. It's still kind of unclear whether the raven literally was William or a separate entity working through him but the fact that he shows up in the real world as himself near the end of BtS Episode 3 kind of makes me believe it's the former.

That said, I'm sort of curious what the gimmick of LiS 2 is going to be now. Whether it will be some kind of time travel again, a different power more suited to the new protagonist (which is probably the most likely option) or they forego it entirely and do something different like Deck Nine did with BtS and Dontnod seems to be doing with Captain Spirit. Honestly I'd be fine with any of those as long as it's done well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 18, 2018

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

One of the LiS writers was an American, so any feeling of 'this sounds like French people trying to talk like Americans' is possibly something you're reading into it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Barbet and Koch wrote the script in English and an American writer was also brought in to help localize the dialogue. Anybody who hates the dialogue in this game or says "it's not what normal teenagers sound like" instead of thinking it's the best script ever just 100% don't get Life is Strange and never will.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How many times do I have to say that I'm not referring to the teenagers or their slang, I'm referring to things like when adults say something totally normal but the way they phrase the dialogue sounds unnatural.

I'm not referring at all to the "hella" slang etc.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

How many times do I have to say that I'm not referring to the teenagers or their slang, I'm referring to things like when adults say something totally normal but the way they phrase the dialogue sounds unnatural.

Give an example.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

precision posted:

A lot of that could be the fault of the actors to be fair seeing as aside from Ashly Burch and a few others most of the cast was made up of relative unknowns and this was their first real voice acting job (the majority still did a decent job though even if it was sometimes really obvious when a certain actor was playing a different character). Can you give some examples of what you're talking about?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Orange Sunshine posted:

Give an example.

There is that one fisherman who exclaims "Neptune's beard" but that's all I can think of.

But I love the dialogue in the game so maybe I'm biased.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 19, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In It For The Tank posted:

There is that one fisherman who exclaims "Neptune's beard" but that's all I can think of.

But I love the dialogue in the game so maybe I'm biased.

Yeah, there's a few cringe worthy lines and some memes here and there (mostly from Max and Chloe though who are already characterized as being massive dorks) but I kind of consider it part of the game's charm. Plus, a lot of that stuff starts going away anyway around Episode 3 or so.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012
hot take: DONTNOD games are full of enjoyably bad and just plain bad lines.

fun fact: According to Wikipedia, Remember Me and Vampyr share a writer, while Life is Strange doesn't seem to share one with either game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

LoseHound posted:

hot take: DONTNOD games are full of enjoyably bad and just plain bad lines.

fun fact: According to Wikipedia, Remember Me and Vampyr share a writer, while Life is Strange doesn't seem to share one with either game.

Exactly, stuff like "Ready for the mosh pit, Shaka Brah" makes no sense but it's hilarious and I honestly hope they keep it up for Captain Spirit/LiS 2.

I also look forward to seeing what kind of cruel tortures they plan to inflict on this poor child (he's already got a dead mom, his dad seems to have a drinking problem, and the main theme of the game is called Death with Dignity, this kid is either doomed and/or destined to become the next Chloe Price). Either way I have a feeling that the most important part of this next game is going to be at the very end.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 19, 2018

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

To be fair, Death with Dignity is about the death of the singer's mother, so it might not have any further significance.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
You either die with dignity, or you live long enough to see yourself become Chloe Price.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Skellybones posted:

You either die with dignity, or you live long enough to see yourself become Chloe Price.

Eh. Could be worse. Becoming a vampire with a Ph.D. for example.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 19, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

To be fair, Death with Dignity is about the death of the singer's mother, so it might not have any further significance.

True but this is still Life is Strange, I don't exactly trust this series anymore when it comes to stuff like that (Farewell for example). Becoming the second coming of Chloe is still probably the best case scenario for this kid regardless but you never know (to be fair, there are worse fates).

Unless they want to put the game in the future or something, LiS 2 can't take place any more than 2 years after Captain Spirit so Chris is most likely not going to be our protagonist for the whole ride. He probably has some connection to them at the very least though (we also don't know his last name yet so for all we know he could be a relative of one of the Season 1 characters, I doubt it though).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 19, 2018

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
What's the wildest LiS fanfic you guys have read? I found one in which Rachel and Chloe are playing the truths and lie game and the plot goes swerving in a wild direction when Rachel confesses she has the power to transform into a lion.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Death with Dignity is very explicitly about grieving the death of your mother so it’s not even really like their is any interpretative wiggle room

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Eshettar posted:

What's the wildest LiS fanfic you guys have read? I found one in which Rachel and Chloe are playing the truths and lie game and the plot goes swerving in a wild direction when Rachel confesses she has the power to transform into a lion.

This one called “Before the Storm”. It was pretty middling

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The first Death with Dignity Act in the US was passed in Oregon in 1994, which may or may not hold special relevance to the setting.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Death with Dignity is very explicitly about grieving the death of your mother so it’s not even really like their is any interpretative wiggle room

Fair, though you were the one who kept saying earlier about how Chris is probably going to die at some point. Either way, something significant needs to happen at the end considering this leads directly into Season 2 (though I suppose there could be an after credits scene or something). Also, unless the game says otherwise I'm going to assume for now that Bae is canon and Max inadvertently killed this kid's mom 3 years ago.

Interestingly, BtS was set 3 years prior to LiS and this (and presumably Season 2) is set 3 years after, meaning we're due for another major crisis soon. I'm curious how they manage to top "massive tornado caused by time travel and/or Rachel Amber".

As for Captain Spirit itself, from what I've been hearing the game is roughly about as long as Farewell was if not slightly longer but there's a bunch of different ways you can get through the day/accomplish certain tasks that there seems to be a lot of replay value involved. If not in this game, I'm hoping stuff like photos/graffiti makes a return as well as that was pretty fun (if not annoying or unnecessarily obtuse at times).

Paul Zuvella posted:

This one called “Before the Storm”. It was pretty middling

BtS fell flat on it's face at the end granted (about as much if not more than the first game did actually), but I did still enjoy the rest of it. Brave New World is probably my top favorite LiS episode besides Chaos Theory from the original.Once again, please take your time on the LiS 2 finale DontNod. I don't care if it means delaying the game, I just for once would like an LiS game that's consistently good from start to finish.

Though then again, as was brought up a while back, Night in the Woods is basically a Life is Strange game only in 2D and without voice acting and even that kind of stumbles a little at the very end (though not to quite an extent to be fair) so maybe games like this are just cursed to always have somewhat disappointing final chapters.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 20, 2018

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Did anyone else notice that while Chloe and Rachel are performing during the play, you can just make out the figure of Sera watching them? I don't mean that moment right at the end when she turns and walks away into the night, I'm talking about when Chloe's shuffling around sheepishly while dressed as Big Bird's fugly cousin. The combined effect of that pale dress of hers and the haze of the stage lights makes her look very ethereal. Almost ghostly as she stands behind the silhouettes of the students and their family members.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While it's been confirmed that Captain Spirit/LiS 2 is still in the same universe as the first game the question still remains how far are they going to take that connection? Personally I'd rather it just stay as self-contained as possible with just a few references here and there (and maybe a character cameo towards the end if they really want to and it makes sense to the story they're trying to tell). I am sort of curious if they're going to throw any nods to BtS in there somewhere as well.

Off the subject, but is Detroit: Become Human any good? I've been hearing a lot about it but I'm not sure whether or not to try it out (it's a David Cage game after all).

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, but is Detroit: Become Human any good? I've been hearing a lot about it but I'm not sure whether or not to try it out (it's a David Cage game after all).

It is easily the best David Cage game but that is saying extremely little. The game is split into 3rds (3 different main characters) and they range from Embarrassingly bad, to awkward and middling, to pretty good.

The part that is pretty good is essentially a drunk human/android buddy cop movie but you have to go go through the other 2/3rds to play it all so RIP. I would probably give it like a 6/10, and it is nowhere near as fun to hate play it as Heavy Rain was or Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The biggest problem with Detroit in a game filled with problems, is that the game spends any amount of time on two characters where one isn’t interesting in the slightest, and the other is interesting but pretty detached from the main story. Granted you can get rid of one of them very early. But like Hank and Conner, for as tropy as they are, are legit good interesting characters and their story is the most compelling. I kind of wish Detroit was ONLY about Hank and Conner

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Macaluso posted:

The biggest problem with Detroit in a game filled with problems, is that the game spends any amount of time on two characters where one isn’t interesting in the slightest, and the other is interesting but pretty detached from the main story. Granted you can get rid of one of them very early. But like Hank and Conner, for as tropy as they are, are legit good interesting characters and their story is the most compelling. I kind of wish Detroit was ONLY about Hank and Conner

It could have been a GOTY candidate if it were just a Hank/Connor/Sumo version of LA Noire but in lovely detroit in the future.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Captain Spirit releases this Monday:

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1009820773970792449/

I'm actually kind of looking forward to this to be honest. I imagine information regarding the actual LiS 2 will start popping up not long afterwards (as others have speculated, it could be that the games are so closely tied with each other that to release a trailer for it now would spoil the end of this). Hell, we might even get our first teaser at the end of this game.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

https://twitter.com/DONTNOD_Ent/status/1010175587900706816

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

*that one gif of Jonah Hill freaking out*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Aside from a shot of a slightly ripped bag the video tells us nothing but it's nice to get a release date at any rate. I imagine Captain Spirit will also give us a few more hints regarding the plot as well. I kind of wish they'd given this game some kind of subtitle though as that's going to be annoying to search for (at the moment, looking up Life is Strange 2 generally just gives you a bunch of Before the Storm related stuff).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 22, 2018

• Locked thread