Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Welp I made some videos. First I tried a fancy build that leaned off of green spells and more strongly towards UW to utilize Rhystic Circle. Spoiler alert, Circle probably isn't worth the hassle of casting a double-W spell.

Rhystic Stonehorn Tron League #1
Rhystic Stonehorn Tron League #2

Not ready for primetime, but I learned something - I wanted a bounceland. One way to avoid missing my third land drop is if one of my two lands is if one of those lands is a bounceland, and sometimes I just want to Map for two lands to fuel a Circle of Protection or maybe turn 1 map, turn 2 crack for bounceland and turn 3 play the bounceland to ensure a turn 4 Stonehorn.

Stonehorn Tron Challenge #8

also Relic of Progenitus was actually game winning against me (in one game) so maybe it's just great?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

oh poo poo you guys, WotC found out about Pauper, who told them?
almost guaranteed nothing good can come of this.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
An Oubliette reprint would be good.

But explaining that we need more complex and interesting cards at common would be better, rather than the vast majority of commons from every set being jank that's scarcely playable even in limited.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

It was pretty unfortunate that there were no playable Pauper cards in Battlebond.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
Like, the fact that Delver is far and away the best single creature in the format should tell you what's needed. Mulldrifter being a major part of the metagame is great, I love playing with creatures of that power level, but the biggest impact to Pauper in the past what, four years? is Thunderous Wrath being reprinted at Common and Before that it was loving Peregrine Drake. The only cards that even came close to being Pauper viable that aren't from a Masters set are firebrand archer and thermo-alchemist, and they only fit in the bad version of Burn.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Thraben Inspector is pretty decent and Ash Barrens is great.

oh Monarch cards too

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Hellsau posted:

Thraben Inspector is pretty decent and Ash Barrens is great.

oh Monarch cards too

fair enough, but that's three cards from normal rotation blocks, while pretty much every other thing is from a supplemental once-a-year product. How often does a card even speculatively make the jump to Modern SB/playable? Because I don't think that a format with cards added that infrequently is a sustainable or healthy format.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
a lot of stuff sees fringe play it just rarely changes the meta significantly like the burn cards did. cartouches show up in bogles, control decks play striped riverinder sometimes, dusk leagion zealot shows up un mono black. kaladesh gave us gearseeker serpent

"we don't regularly see a card on the power level of mulldrifter" seems fine to me

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Here's the corrupt control list that top8'ed:
https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/corrupt-control-3/?cb=1529308205

Black magic, as Garfield intended.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

always be closing posted:

I like.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

This is a spicy list, I'm in.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

That's pretty sweet. Can't ever beat Tron but at least you'll actually have good matchups, unlike traditional MBC.

I think a Bubbling Muck would be better than that Talisman. If you're gonna throw a fun-of in might as well make it super high impact.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hellsau posted:

I think a Bubbling Muck would be better than that Talisman. If you're gonna throw a fun-of in might as well make it super high impact.

My guess is that Talisman isn't a fun of so much as the fifth Bauble, but I don't play Pauper.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

I love that this runs 12 drain lifes (even though it doesn't run the card itself). It really is magic as Garfield intended. I always had a soft spot for drain life. Back in Odyssey block, I had a kitchen table magic deck with cabal coffers and drain lifes. It was pretty good in that meta, lol.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Serious question. What is Magic, as Garfield intended?

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

Matsuri posted:

What were the intentions of the Founding Fathers as they wrote the Bill of Rights?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Matsuri posted:

20 black lotuses, 40 plague rats

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

What were the intentions of the Founding Fathers as they wrote the Bill of Rights?

2 assault rifles in every pocket and no reserved list.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

evilweasel posted:

20 black lotuses, 40 plague rats

So basically, as rule free as possible?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Matsuri posted:

So basically, as rule free as possible?

To give a serious answer, Garfield intended magic to have powerful spells and mediocre creatures.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Matsuri posted:

two lovely decks you drag out of a closet three times a year when the power goes out

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Matsuri posted:

Played six days a week with a side of lasagna.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Speaking of MBC, I've been puttering around with it on Magic online and I still love it. Even if I will never get Oubliettes in paper until they are reprinted. I actually thought about pulling the trigger on them from CFB when they were 25 each, but then when I went to finally check out a couple days later they were over 40.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
If we've learned anything from the tournament results a couple days ago, MBC doesn't need Oubliette to do well. Nor does it need creatures.

(Though I do love Gary a lot as a wincon.)

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

Speaking of MBC, I've been puttering around with it on Magic online and I still love it. Even if I will never get Oubliettes in paper until they are reprinted. I actually thought about pulling the trigger on them from CFB when they were 25 each, but then when I went to finally check out a couple days later they were over 40.

Oubliette looks super cool, but MBC sucks and it's not worth 20+ dollars. I got one from my LGS when it was $10 and the rest from Pucatrade before it went to poo poo, and I'm happy enough. The MBC deck in paper with all original printings looks fantastic, and we all know that aesthetics is 90% of what matters. Unfortunately the other 10% is playability and MBC sucks so oh well. Maybe they'll ban Tron and Mulldrifter.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Counterpoint: It apparently doesn't auto-lose to delver and actually appears in tournaments.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Made top 8 of another challenge, and the other player I know who plays Stonehorn Tron (Hampuse1) is in the finals against UR Delver. Deck is great.

Why did I not side in CoP: Red against Affinity? Atog is the only good card in their deck. Lesson learned for next time.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Matsuri posted:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Whatever happened to Suicide Black? There's a bunch of modern cards that make it better than it could have ever been in the old 4th through 6th Standard and Extended formats, but nobody ever seems to play it any more. Are people just afraid of going full aggro and never blocking?

btw here's a suicide black decklist I just brewed up a few minutes ago :v: :

Lands
16 Swamp

Artifacts
4 Lotus Petal

Instants
4 Dark Ritual
2 Diabolic Edict
4 Geth's Verdict

Sorceries
4 Duress
4 Raven's Crime
2 Wrench Mind

Creatures
3 Carnophage
2 Dauthi Marauder
4 Dauthi Slayer
4 Gurmag Angler
4 Vampire Lacerator
3 Vault Skirge

(Shadow is underrated in every format)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
If you're going to do that, I would honestly just load up on every 2 power one drop you can, including Pulse Tracker and its ilk.

Which includes Night Market Lookout and Thornbow Archer.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I had considered those guys, but I prefer the raw power of a 2/2 over a 1/1, since the 2/2s can eat chump blockers and still swing away on consecutive turns. Carnophage and Lacerator have downsides, but your opponent should be dead before the life loss from them even matters, which is the entire point of Suicide Black.

edit: also, the deck has really good odds of a turn 1 or 2 Angler, which is pretty much a guaranteed win 70% of the time. Ideal hand would probably be something like Swamp, Swamp, Ritual, Ritual, Angler, Lotus Petal, Duress. Turn 1, Swamp, Petal, sac Petal for B->Duress to possibly get rid of any early creature removal, tap Swamp for B, Ritual->Ritual->spend BBBBB and delve 2 for Angler.

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 25, 2018

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Seems like that deck would insta-lose to a moment's peace or 2 because your drawback creatures would start eating you

A Moose fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 25, 2018

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I ain't afraid of no Fog

Suicide Black is all about trading security for raw speed and power, so small setbacks shouldn't really disrupt the deck's tempo.

edit: also, there are 10 discard spells in the deck including 4 Duress, so fog-likes aren't really a concern

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 25, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It seems like you auto-lose to burn, and carnophage is no longer that impressive now that the blue aggro decks are packing a 3/2 flier as their 1 drop.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Silhouette posted:

I ain't afraid of no Fog

Suicide Black is all about trading security for raw speed and power, so small setbacks shouldn't really disrupt the deck's tempo.

edit: also, there are 10 discard spells in the deck including 4 Duress, so fog-likes aren't really a concern

moments peace has flashback

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Jabor posted:

It seems like you auto-lose to burn, and carnophage is no longer that impressive now that the blue aggro decks are packing a 3/2 flier as their 1 drop.

Burn is a bad matchup, but decent draws can see it outpaced, and delver still dies to an edict or verdict

GoutPatrol posted:

moments peace has flashback

Silhouette posted:

I ain't afraid of no Fog

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Some Numbers posted:

If you're going to do that, I would honestly just load up on every 2 power one drop you can, including Pulse Tracker and its ilk.

Which includes Night Market Lookout and Thornbow Archer.

You know what, you're right. Lookout would be better than Skirge and the 3-drop Dauthi Marauders, and would help insulate a bit against burn.

Revised decklist:

Lands
16 Swamp

Artifacts
4 Lotus Petal

Instants
4 Dark Ritual
2 Diabolic Edict
4 Geth's Verdict

Sorceries
4 Duress
4 Raven's Crime
2 Wrench Mind

Creatures
4 Carnophage
4 Night Market Lookout
4 Dauthi Slayer
4 Gurmag Angler
4 Vampire Lacerator

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm a little confused here. You start off asking why noone plays suicide black anymore, and then when people tell you why you get very defensive about it, as though the deck not being very good any more is somehow a personal attack on you?

If you really want to find out first-hand then feel free to jump into a bunch of leagues with it I guess, mtgo is right there.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I'd say people don't play it because it's hard to run Rancor in mono-black which is a really good card for a low to the ground aggro deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
traditional hellsau answer: it dies to stonehorn tron

that said suicide black seems like a lot of fun for more casual pauper beatdowns