Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Lol the world where we buy a phone and then have to pay money to remove poo poo from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Rastor posted:

Don't root your phone.

T-Mobile and Sprint phones have less bloatware than AT&T or Verizon ones. Just go into settings -> apps and for each app you don't want to see choose the Disable option.

If an app doesn't have a Disable option it means it has been marked as a "System" app. For these cases the best advice is usually to ignore it. If there's one which really gets under your skin and you want to get rid of it you have two options:

1. If it's a Samsung app you can purchase Package Disabler Pro which will allow you to uninstall the relevant Samsung package.
2. If the offending app is not from Samsung or if you don't want to spend :10bux:/3 then you can install App Inspector to get the package name of the App you don't want and then follow this guide to uninstall it. Warning: guide requires downloading a bunch of stuff on your computer and running console commands.

Don't root your phone.

lol just root the drat thing instead of paying money to disable poo poo. It's so trivial nowadays anyways.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nokia 6.1 or Huawei Mate SE. Which one should I get?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nokia if you care about updates and the cleanest software experience, Huawei if you must have the best hardware $200 bucks can buy.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Yep they're both good, it just depends on your priorities. When I was shopping, I learned that I'm kind of a bezel snob!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
at least we're not in the timeline where different samsung galaxy versions exist for each carrier still

i for one love my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S9 Vibrant 4G LTE

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

logikv9 posted:

at least we're not in the timeline where different samsung galaxy versions exist for each carrier still

AT&T's was the captivate :colbert:

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Hi, I've googled this a bit and can't really find anything pixel 2 related:

I was robbed at work, thankfully my phone wasn't on me. I want to make it so my phone can't be turned off unless my passcode is entered, I have find my device with notifications tuned off (before it had a nice notification saying "find my device!") but that won't help if mr methhead can just turn it off!

Other phones seem to have this capability and again, Google doesn't really pull much up for the pixel 2!

stringball fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jun 18, 2018

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

stringball posted:

Hi, I've googled this a bit and can't really find anything pixel 2 related:

I was robbed at work, thankfully my phone wasn't on me. I want to make it so my phone can't be turned off unless my passcode is entered, I have find my device with notifications tuned off (before it had a nice notification saying "find my device!") but that won't help if mr methhead can just turn it off!

Other phones seem to have this capability and again, Google doesn't really pull much up for the pixel 2!

How does this work when you can just turn on airplane mode or remove the SIM from the device?

Also, you need a way of shutting a phone down if it's hard crashing constantly.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

What stops anybody from doing the 'hold the power button until it cuts out' trick or just burning its battery down to nothing?

Or hell, just smashing it, if all they care about is denying it to the owner.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Ragingsheep posted:

How does this work when you can just turn on airplane mode or remove the SIM from the device?

Also, you need a way of shutting a phone down if it's hard crashing constantly.

You would need to unlock to turn on airplane mode, and the pixel 2 does not have a SIM or removable battery

As for the hard crash, uhh I have no idea :v:

dont be mean to me posted:

What stops anybody from doing the 'hold the power button until it cuts out' trick or just burning its battery down to nothing?

Or hell, just smashing it, if all they care about is denying it to the owner.

That's what I'm trying to deny in the first place, and if that's not an option I guess I can hope he's not smart enough to do it, seeing how he robs gas stations for $50. He can have fun burning the battery by opening the lock screen for 5 seconds over and over for, what a couple hours?

Id figure he would attempt to sell it before smashing it

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

stringball posted:

You would need to unlock to turn on airplane mode, and the pixel 2 does not have a SIM or removable battery

You don't. You can pull down the quick settings from the lockscreen, without unlocking the device.

e: but you can't change the available settings, so if you've removed airplane mode, WLAN and mobile data from the quick settings, you're safe from that, I guess.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 18, 2018

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Tamba posted:

You don't. You can pull down the quick settings from the lockscreen, without unlocking the device.

e: but you can't change the available settings, so if you've removed airplane mode, WLAN and mobile data from the quick settings, you're safe from that, I guess.

You definitely can, and already did

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

logikv9 posted:

Hey I had the Vibrant, it was TMO

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I made the plunge and enrolled my Pixel 2 in the Android P beta program several days ago.

I am happy to report my phone is no longer a wifi router killer after installing the Android 9/P beta.

If you have a Pixel 2/XL that is having Wifi issues, Android P seems to solve the problem.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

stevewm posted:

I made the plunge and enrolled my Pixel 2 in the Android P beta program several days ago.

I am happy to report my phone is no longer a wifi router killer after installing the Android 9/P beta.

If you have a Pixel 2/XL that is having Wifi issues, Android P seems to solve the problem.

What issues are these, exactly? A couple of times recently my house internet has gone completely to poo poo after uploading a big video via WhatsApp, even after the upload has finished, and then everything has recovered as soon as I turned off or rebooted my phone. Is this the sort of thing you're referring to?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

chippy posted:

What issues are these, exactly? A couple of times recently my house internet has gone completely to poo poo after uploading a big video via WhatsApp, even after the upload has finished, and then everything has recovered as soon as I turned off or rebooted my phone. Is this the sort of thing you're referring to?

The problem originally started back in October with the phone spamming your router with broadcast messages if you have a Chromecast present on your network. This one made some tech news websites. This was eventually fixed, but then with the February patch, they introduced a new problem.. Turning many phones into router killers yet again.

A multitude of things happen depending on the circumstances.

Disconnecting repeatedly and randomly from Wifi.
The phone will be connected to wifi but state there is no internet access.
Causing all devices on the same wifi network to get kicked off repeatedly or experience very poor performance when the Pixel connects. (mesh network routers seem to be most affected by this one)
Or even cause the router itself to reboot. (Asus RT series routers, some Netgear routers, many DSL modem router combos, etc..)

My Pixel 2 was causing my Asus RT-AC66U router to completely crash and reboot typically within seconds of the phone connecting to it.(confirmed via router logs) My parents Frontier supplied DSL modem/router combo would also reboot when my phone connected. And a friends Netgear Nighthawk router would just go entirely non-responsive when my phone connected.

There are multiple threads on the Google Product Pixel forums about it, one has over 600 replies. And it is also on the Google Issue tracker with several hundred reports and replies as well. Several people on both forums noticed the Android P update seemed to solve the issue.

I would guess you are experiencing the same issue if turning off your phone solves the problem.

So far installing Android P seems to have solved the issue entirely for me. Several days with no router kills on P. I've had my Wifi disabled for months because of this problem.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 18, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I thought that was just an issue with Google Wifi hub or whatever that thing is called? I didn't have that issue and I have 2 Chromecasts, nor did anyone else I know with one.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I thought that was just an issue with Google Wifi hub or whatever that thing is called? I didn't have that issue and I have 2 Chromecasts, nor did anyone else I know with one.

Only certain combinations of routers/phones are affected. But there is definitely a lot of them going by reports on Google's own forums.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have a pixel 2 and have never run into this with my onhub.

Comically, the time my father came up to visit in April his oneplus was clearly doing this though. Like it was perfectly replicable, from the moment his car parked in front of our house until we restarted the router after he went back to his hotel, the router would act as though it was connected but otherwise be non-functional including communication with the google wifi app- but only via wifi. If I disconnected from wifi and checked the app on mobile signal it would act normally.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

I have a pixel 2 and have never run into this with my onhub.

Comically, the time my father came up to visit in April his oneplus was clearly doing this though. Like it was perfectly replicable, from the moment his car parked in front of our house until we restarted the router after he went back to his hotel, the router would act as though it was connected but otherwise be non-functional including communication with the google wifi app- but only via wifi. If I disconnected from wifi and checked the app on mobile signal it would act normally.

This is how I discovered my phone was causing the issue with my home internet.

Everyone in the house was complaining of disconnects that would start at the same time every day. Then we realized it was when I pulled in the driveway. My phone would connect and cause the router to crash.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
btw, i haven't seen this mentioned, but the new moto g6 is an amazing phone for its price - just if you buy one, the first time you boot it you may have to force boot it. if yours has 0% battery when you open the box, charge it for a few minutes, then factory reset it from the android robot guy screen, and it'll work just fine.

they have an issue somewhere in the supply chain where the phones are being shipped either already on, or turning on in the box. They work just fine once you force boot them. So heads up - i've had a lot of customers think their phone is DOA but then it happily works just fine once you resuscitate it. If you're looking for a good phone under 300 it's retail is right at that 300 mark, and you get a really really good phone for that price. Beats the crap out of everything else you can find in that range.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I'd much rather have my Mate SE. There's several compelling devices in this price range and I don't think Moto beats the crap out of any of them. Glad you're happy though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

When it comes to the relative advantages of the Nokia/Huawei/Moto at this price point, I actually doubt most people are going to have any solid preferences about anything other than the look and feel of the hardware.

And by "most people" I mean the general $200-$300 phone-buying population, not "most people posting in this thread".

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I agree 100%. The look and feel of the screen/body of something by Huawei or Nokia stands out a lot more than Moto Assist. But all 3 are fine purchases. I miss the Flashlight Chop and Camera Twist but other than that I greatly prefer the Mate SE.

DrThief
Jan 6, 2001

Well my Nexus 5X is acting up again, with random slowdowns and occasional reboots. It has already been about 18 months since the last bootloop and i'm afraid it hasn't got long to live, so i'm deciding on a new phone.

I'm between the Oneplus 6 and the Pixel 2 XL, leaning towards the Oneplus, but this thread seems to hate the company? The Oneplus 6 is getting rave reviews on the internet, and most tech blogs/sites/reviewers seem to like it. Is the pixel really worth the 200€ premium or is a there a specific reason to avoid the oneplus?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

DrThief posted:

Well my Nexus 5X is acting up again, with random slowdowns and occasional reboots. It has already been about 18 months since the last bootloop and i'm afraid it hasn't got long to live, so i'm deciding on a new phone.

I'm between the Oneplus 6 and the Pixel 2 XL, leaning towards the Oneplus, but this thread seems to hate the company? The Oneplus 6 is getting rave reviews on the internet, and most tech blogs/sites/reviewers seem to like it. Is the pixel really worth the 200€ premium or is a there a specific reason to avoid the oneplus?

OnePlus shipped a phone where you can flash a new rom despite the locked bootloader. This is nowhere near the first issue they've had. The company is a trainwreck.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

DrThief posted:

Most reviewers use the phone for a week and give a goddam about long term or security issues. OnePlus is a train wreck of stupidity. Buy one if you want, but don't think that the company behind them cares about giving more than lip service to security or longevity.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Oneplus will always get rave reviews because they ship spec sheets which wows reviewers that have limited time to review the phone. Then later down the line you find out the bad parts like upside down screens and security holes the size of jupiter's red spot. Once upon a time they were cheap enough that you could maybe argue buying one and immediately installing a different rom would be a good value if you had to, but they're not that much cheaper than pixels now. Xiaomi also somewhat lives in this weird spot now, but most of their phones don't fully support LTE in the united states

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
lmao I forgot all about the upside down screens :psypop:

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Looks like the Messages app is getting a web interface for sending and receiving texts among other things. Maybe someday the Messaging App Feature Bingo game they seem to be playing will fill out a feature complete app.

https://www.blog.google/topics/rcs/five-new-features-try-messages/

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
My friend broke the poo poo out of my old Xperia Z3 Compact after violently taking a piss. He's looking for a decent handset £200 or under. We're in the UK and he's not looking a contract.

Camera quality isn't important but reasonable performance, screen quality and water resistance would be nice.

What are his options in the UK? I think he's on Tesco mobile, which I believe is an MVNO on O2's network. Not sure if UK goons need to worry about bands like in the Americas.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
is piss resistance a priority

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

DrThief posted:

If you want better pictures the Pixel 2 would be worth the premium. If you want faster updates and a more secure operating system then you have to ask if the premium is worth it. Each and every phone that runs android right now has its software quirks, if its not the constant security flaws of chinaphones, its your phone deciding to wage jihad on your home network or an update making your screen act stupid or just plain not getting updates since its release because god only knows what samsung is thinking with the S9 in the states.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

My friend broke the poo poo out of my old Xperia Z3 Compact after violently taking a piss.

Lmao what

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

poo poo, I'm failing at searching.

Is the Verizon prepaid phone at Target thing still a... thing?

My oldest needs a phone to fill in the gap between now (nursing a shitted out Droid Turbo 1) and when I buy my Pixel 3 (at least August, possibly October).

I think the cheap Moto they had with the unlock would be a perfect fit, but I can't find the details anywhere or I can't craft the right search because my brain isn't functioning today.

Anyone recall the details on that?

Edit: Oh, I think I DID find it. The other question I have is, if it's SIM unlocked, would I be able to use it on a 'real' Verizon plan, or would it only work on other networks?

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 19, 2018

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

My friend broke the poo poo out of my old Xperia Z3 Compact after violently taking a piss.

I have questions.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Unlike talking about BT, this story needs a followup. I've taken some wicked long pisses, and some bumpy ones even, but how do you take a violent one? Are you threatening your junk like Kylo Ren having a tantrum on some control panels but instead of a lightsaber he hits stuff with his phone?

On P2XL running DP3 talk, mine got a little funky with charging after the update and USB stopped working, short of doing a hard reset I flashed a different kernel (Flash's) and everything is peachy again. Really weird, but outside of that the phone is now running exceptionally and a bunch of little bits that's were a bit off or broken in DP2 seem fixed now in DP3. No idea why my phone felt like being broken whether I pushed the OTA or full Image, but it is getting close to probably being time to do a hard reset once P officially comes out anyway.

Really though after DP3 my phone hasn't run this good since it was new out of the box.

*Edit* Ha let me go against my opening line about BT because I literally just saw this for the first time (another DP3 change). I've owned the QY8's for about a year and only now saw when repairing them to my phone that they support Apt-X as shown under the setting toggles under the BT settings for them. I know they showed HD Audio in the past but now it actually says "HD Audio: Qualcomm Apt-X Audio" now. So yea, best $7 I've spent on any headphones.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 19, 2018

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

AlexDeGruven posted:

Edit: Oh, I think I DID find it. The other question I have is, if it's SIM unlocked, would I be able to use it on a 'real' Verizon plan, or would it only work on other networks?

I'm not 100% sure, but fairly confident Verizon postpaid won't let you use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FistEnergy posted:

lmao I forgot all about the upside down screens :psypop:

Having to mail it in to stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Google Play Video in HD...