Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revolther
May 27, 2008

"Whom farted?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fdjkbnadjnbkjldaf
Mar 2, 2016
There are a lot of excellently and funnily written episodes in this series. But there is a lot of repetitive stuff that holds up because Kelsey Grammer and David Hyde Pierce encapsulated their characters and are outstanding comedic actors. Like out of this world good at comedy.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Did we ever discuss this article about why Frasier is the best show to fall asleep to?

http://theweek.com/articles/709272/why-frasier-best-show-sleep

The author is definitely a real fan who has actual knowledge of the show. They hate the Greek episode!

I found the article resonant because I got into Frasier by watching late night reruns on the 12 inch antenna tv I had in my room when I was in high school in the early 2000's. Although the show was still going at that point, I'm not sure if I ever watched an episode as it aired. Just the midnight hour of reruns before sleep.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I guess the Greek episode must be one of those things that I would've hated if I were waiting a week to watch it, but in reruns it seems perfectly ok.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think it's more so that it's one of the most glaringly obvious "sitcom" moments in a show that usually disguised them better. Frasier didn't have to sink to "long lost cousin" territory and both times it did the episodes stuck out.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They should have had several episodes with Frasier and Niles' criminal Russian branch of the family.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

fdjkbnadjnbkjldaf posted:

There are a lot of excellently and funnily written episodes in this series. But there is a lot of repetitive stuff that holds up because Kelsey Grammer and David Hyde Pierce encapsulated their characters and are outstanding comedic actors. Like out of this world good at comedy.

So good.
It's on tv every day here and I mostly have it in the background but there's always scenes or entire episodes where you just have to stop and pay attention to their facial expressions and delivery. It really makes the show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Brawnfire posted:

They should have had several episodes with Frasier and Niles' criminal Russian branch of the family.

Now I want to see Russian Frasier.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Fall asleep to Frasier in the hopes of having a Roz dream

Roz my dream hole

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Having a Roz dream but it's her perspective and Bulldog is over for the night

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Brawnfire posted:

Having a Roz dream but it's her perspective and Bulldog is over for the night

What do you think Bulldog smells like?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

In Drew Carey's book he mentions that as a young man he was wearing this cologne called "Brute" which was basically the 90s version of Axe.

I imagine Bulldog reeks of Brute.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Waxy, like the shiny pate of his bald head exudes a sebaceous scent

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Old Spice

His dad used it and he never grew up enough to try something else

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Man, Kate was the absolute worst of Frasier's multi episodes love interests. Bad acting, bad plot lines. Just bad.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Kate from the Drew Carey show: coincidentally, also a terrible actress. Possibly the worst on TV

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

Man, Kate was the absolute worst of Frasier's multi episodes love interests. Bad acting, bad plot lines. Just bad.

But it did cause one of the best moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC5rp7PJ8DQ

"Just pump up the volume and call me kitty".

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

I finally finished the episodes of the show.

Season 10 had lower lows than Season 9 but it had higher highs. It started off with the infamous parking ramp episode but it only got worse from there. Niles' heart attack arc was pure cringe from start to finish. Like Roger the garbageman, it seemed like a hamfisted attempt to add depth to existing characters but it was so poorly executed. It did seem like after that, the writing did get much better and the last few episodes of the season were some of the best in the last few seasons.

Season 11 definitely seemed like an attempt to bring back the comedy from the first six or seven seasons but of course it had all the baggage of the bad seasons (8 through most of 10) so it was never as great as it could be. It kind of killed things for me when Niles and Daphne's marriage devolved into the typical sitcom narrative of Niles doing something stupid or insensitive and Daphne overreacting to it. It was like watching an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond or some awful poo poo like that. Kind of disappointing when neither character seemed well suited for it.

Great show though and hope to get back to it again in the next few years.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the Niles and Daphne arc really killed the show. One of the funniest things used to be Niles ogling Daphne or lost deep in a dirty reverie and Frasier yelling "NIIILES!!" So sad that their characters morphed into the standard sitcom couple of 'the man's a clueless idiot and the woman is a nag'. They didn't have an ounce of chemistry as a couple yet when they were just friends the actors bounced off each other and had a spark and great rapport.

Don't even get me started on the grim reaper, Ronnie. Who the hell thought that was a good idea? Hopelessly and terribly mis-cast and the actors were just going through the motions like "how can anyone believe this poo poo?" Just awful. He should have ended up with Sherri, if anyone.

The current run on tv here is almost at the end of the whole series so in a couple of days it will start back up from episode one, here's to 90's hair and boxy suits!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Drunk me was really excited and subsequently crushed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9uAPAezbis

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

At first I was like what? And then I saw lol

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

LE SAUCER VOLANT

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Good evening Andromeda... I’m listening

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

New Concept Hole posted:

LE SAUCER VOLANT

Seems redundant given the original UFOs were described as giant cigar-shaped objects

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

supernatural blonde posted:

Yeah the Niles and Daphne arc really killed the show. One of the funniest things used to be Niles ogling Daphne or lost deep in a dirty reverie and Frasier yelling "NIIILES!!" So sad that their characters morphed into the standard sitcom couple of 'the man's a clueless idiot and the woman is a nag'. They didn't have an ounce of chemistry as a couple yet when they were just friends the actors bounced off each other and had a spark and great rapport.

Don't even get me started on the grim reaper, Ronnie. Who the hell thought that was a good idea? Hopelessly and terribly mis-cast and the actors were just going through the motions like "how can anyone believe this poo poo?" Just awful. He should have ended up with Sherri, if anyone.

The current run on tv here is almost at the end of the whole series so in a couple of days it will start back up from episode one, here's to 90's hair and boxy suits!

It is a total bummer. Sitcom cute girlfriend always turns in to dream killing harpy wife (looking at you, Pam from the Office)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ElGroucho posted:

It is a total bummer. Sitcom cute girlfriend always turns in to dream killing harpy wife (looking at you, Pam from the Office)

I have to wonder if this is reflecting something about the writers.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It always does. The poor soul who created Debra :(

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

I like how Faye was the absolute best thing for Frasier, but he was too retarded to realize it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Totally. You only get the "married life sucks" cliches from people who hate their own marriage.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

No loving kidding

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

A. Beaverhausen posted:

To be fair she did have to live with manchild Ray who had pretty much nothing lovable about him whatsoever.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

How could men possibly use sex to get what we want? Sex IS what we want!!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

supernatural blonde posted:

Don't even get me started on the grim reaper, Ronnie. Who the hell thought that was a good idea? Hopelessly and terribly mis-cast and the actors were just going through the motions like "how can anyone believe this poo poo?"

Mahoney said in an interview that he was ready to walk from the show after the eighth season, but then he and Pierce got new contract offers for such silly money ($850,000 per episode) that he would have been a fool to turn it down.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I like how Faye was the absolute best thing for Frasier, but he was too retarded to realize it.

Yeah, Cassandra Faye really was perfect for him. I think Claire was really good for him too. Hell, I'd marry either of them and I have Frasier levels of commitment issues.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

John Mahoney was so drat young when Frasier started. It's like having 28 year olds play high school sophomores but backwards.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Can you imagine getting paid $850,000 a week to sit in a recliner and call Kelsey Grammar a boob?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

John Mahoney was so drat young when Frasier started. It's like having 28 year olds play high school sophomores but backwards.

I think for obvious reasons it's generally a good idea to cast down for old characters, for similar reasons you have the twentysomething high schoolers; that they're more physically able and stable, and you don't have to deal with growth spurts or dementia.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

you don't have to deal with growth spurts or dementia.

Tell that to the producers of 2 and a half men

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Can you imagine getting paid $850,000 a week to sit in a recliner and call Kelsey Grammar a boob?

The ideal life

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I just love how Frasier confidently walked into that gay bar and had a drink and began dancing and took it all in stride

Patrick Stewart is so goddamn funny here.

How it all builds to the dance scene, and the dance scene itself is so good.

S11 isn't all that bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Elephunk posted:

Patrick Stewart is so goddamn funny here.

How it all builds to the dance scene, and the dance scene itself is so good.

S11 isn't all that bad

I think the Patrick Stewart episode is different from the "Yes, I did pop into 'Bad Billie's' last night" episode.

Both were pretty good. But Patrick Stewart owned the gently caress out of that role.