Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

2 nozzles 1 layer

The future is almost certainly going to involve making the faster and easier to use. Id also like to see ANSI or equivalent standards on materials so there's no question of what kind of plastics and/or additives you're getting.

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think it's unlikely that we'll ever have significantly more 3D printers on people's desktops than we already do. It's like the desktop publishing "revolution" in the 1980s: laser printers were invented, everyone was amazed that you could make documents that looked just like a book! at home, people predicted that this would ruin the printed book industry, start a new wave of self-published novels, everyone and their grandma had some sort of page layout software, etc.

But what ended up happening? People made one banner out of letter-size sheets stapled together and gave up. No one wanted to put in the massive effort required to actually design the documents unless they were already a professional, and no one really wanted to maintain an expensive printer at home and deal with toner and calibration and the space and noise if they weren't going to use it all the time. Instead, people just go to Staples when they need to print some big document and pay a small premium to have it done as a service.

I think 3D printing is going to go the same way. Some hobbyists, hackers, and professionals will own them (as those people do today), but most people won't want to deal with the hassle of actually running a machine. If 3D printing reaches a stage where it's noticeably useful to the average person, the Staples around the corner will start offering it as a service, and the guy who just wants a new light switch cover shaped like a frog or a replacement knob for his stove will go there to have it done.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

like this buy tiny and also not built from lovely hobby servos, maybe those new IQ position-aware brushless motors

It would be cool to see 3d printers with 5 axis robot arm print heads with a full understanding of the built environment and where the object being printed is positioned. So you can print a flat base, then start printing angled geometry off of that., print at a 90 degree angle exactly as you would print on the base, or upside down for whatever reason. I saw this tech demo of a printer that prints AROUND a cylinder, basically like a souped up version of that, or one of those high end metal 3d sintering machines that also CNC's the surface afterward to look like it was machined from a solid block of material.

lovely video, but you can sort see what I'm talking about here, but this seems to rotate the base, not an arm moving around the object.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I10bn53ECBo&t=84s

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 18, 2018

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

frunksock posted:

What's the future of printers like in the consumer market? Like, 1 year, 5 years, 10 years?

FDM printers are probably about as good as they get, until someone figures out cheap dual extrusion. The real advances from here on out are going to be in 2 spaces:

- Software. Slicers, frontends like Octoprint, and printer firmware itself. The Prusa MK3 uses modern stepper drivers so it can detect head crashes, for example. There are still slicer innovations in their early stages: tree supports, variable layer heights and speeds, pathing can always be improved, etc.

- Materials. ABS used to be the most prominent material. Now it's PLA, but PETG recently became good enough that you can print it at almost-PLA speeds and achieve the same quality. Nylon alloys seem like they may eventually be usable on affordable printers. I just fell in love with Protopasta's matte plant fiber infused HTPLAs, which are supposedly almost as strong as their carbon fiber stuff. If dual extrusion becomes a more popular thing, we'll probably see more innovation with dissolvable support materials. More people are discovering annealing, maybe we'll start to see filaments that are formulated to be annealed without shrinking.

I am also interested in seeing where the other print methods are going, too. Maybe someday someone will formulate an SLA resin that's not wildly toxic!

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
The Bowden connector on the extruder side broke so I have to wait until the replacements get here. Given the amount of trouble I'm having getting stuff calibrated and the number of mods I've installed, I kind of wish I had picked up the Ender 3 over the Mini Select given its the same price and appears to be quite a bit better in a bunch of ways. 3D printing is pretty dang cool but man it's a timesink to get it all working.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Your problem is you dove straight into modding without understanding what you are really doing.

Best "mod" I printed is a retaining clip to put in the Bowden connectors at each end to take all slack out of the compression fitting on the tube.

Because that clip is a standard part of that kind of tubing fitting in every not-3d-printing application (basically a spacer that keeps the connector pulled out/gripping the tube as tightly as it can, because retractions can make the connector release if you allow that nuetral slack in the fitting to exist).

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 19, 2018

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

That Gobbo posted:

The Bowden connector on the extruder side broke so I have to wait until the replacements get here. Given the amount of trouble I'm having getting stuff calibrated and the number of mods I've installed, I kind of wish I had picked up the Ender 3 over the Mini Select given its the same price and appears to be quite a bit better in a bunch of ways. 3D printing is pretty dang cool but man it's a timesink to get it all working.

I think this is an example of where 3D printing is going. It’s all QoL improvements and easier setups for less money from here.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

cephalopods posted:

Maybe someday someone will formulate an SLA resin that's not wildly toxic!

I've always wondered where this comes from. Reading the MSDS for FormLabs' resin it's not dangerous at all, just an irritant with risks for contraindication by condition such as asthma or other respiratory problems.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Sagebrush posted:

I think it's unlikely that we'll ever have significantly more 3D printers on people's desktops than we already do. It's like the desktop publishing "revolution" in the 1980s: laser printers were invented, everyone was amazed that you could make documents that looked just like a book! at home, people predicted that this would ruin the printed book industry, start a new wave of self-published novels, everyone and their grandma had some sort of page layout software, etc.

But what ended up happening? People made one banner out of letter-size sheets stapled together and gave up. No one wanted to put in the massive effort required to actually design the documents unless they were already a professional, and no one really wanted to maintain an expensive printer at home and deal with toner and calibration and the space and noise if they weren't going to use it all the time. Instead, people just go to Staples when they need to print some big document and pay a small premium to have it done as a service.

I think 3D printing is going to go the same way. Some hobbyists, hackers, and professionals will own them (as those people do today), but most people won't want to deal with the hassle of actually running a machine. If 3D printing reaches a stage where it's noticeably useful to the average person, the Staples around the corner will start offering it as a service, and the guy who just wants a new light switch cover shaped like a frog or a replacement knob for his stove will go there to have it done.

This is an odd take as you can walk into pretty much any home and find a printer. What made it possible was post script and the low cost of a printers. A laser printer in the 80's was the price of a car (by today's numbers), and was marketed to businesses. If you even had a computer at home you might have a dot matrix printer which was a low cost (by comparison) way to print your paper at home.

As it is a 3d printer is a specialized printer much in the same as a large format printer. There is a specific need/want for one that the majority of people don't have. The company I work for looked into putting 3d printers into their print shops but there just isn't a market for it. The time it would take to design the print does not make it a cheap option for one offs.

Only way that 3d printers will become as common as a 2d printer is a lower cost and ease of use. When someone can click on a picture and "print now" and have it a few minutes later they will be in every home.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

cephalopods posted:

I am also interested in seeing where the other print methods are going, too. Maybe someday someone will formulate an SLA resin that's not wildly toxic!

I have a SLA printer that I barely even used, not because I was worried about toxic resin (as pointed out it's not really all that hazardous/toxic) it's the hassle of cleaning up.

After your done printing you have to funnel the leftover resin back into a different bottle so as to not contaminate the unused resin from the original. Then you have to wash out the printer reservoir. Then you need to give everything that might have come into contact with resin a good scrub because I don't think you want the resin curing on the sink or wherever you rinsed your print off with water and isopropyl alchohol. And your tools. And the plastic tubs you soak your prints in.

One of these days I'm just going to harvest the projector from it because that thing is a really nice hd projector.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

NeurosisHead posted:

I've always wondered where this comes from. Reading the MSDS for FormLabs' resin it's not dangerous at all, just an irritant with risks for contraindication by condition such as asthma or other respiratory problems.

Uh it's made of chemicals

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Looking into larger printers (from my MP Select MIni) and was wondering what people’s thoughts are about the Anycubic Kossel Plus. I had the MP Delta but donated it to the local school due to the small print bed size and like the idea of having a 230mmx300m print volume.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

duffmensch posted:

Looking into larger printers (from my MP Select MIni) and was wondering what people’s thoughts are about the Anycubic Kossel Plus. I had the MP Delta but donated it to the local school due to the small print bed size and like the idea of having a 230mmx300m print volume.

People are going to say Creality Cr-10. The Prusa isn't bad with 250x210x210 compared to that 120x120x120, but the CR-10 is huge.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I got my CR-10S this weekend and I'm still wrapping my head around the volume and the possibilities.

Taking my time getting everything set up and tuned, but I've been impressed so far.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Your problem is you dove straight into modding without understanding what you are really doing.

Best "mod" I printed is a retaining clip to put in the Bowden connectors at each end to take all slack out of the compression fitting on the tube.

Because that clip is a standard part of that kind of tubing fitting in every not-3d-printing application (basically a spacer that keeps the connector pulled out/gripping the tube as tightly as it can, because retractions can make the connector release if you allow that nuetral slack in the fitting to exist).

You're probably right, I should have spent more time playing with settings before doing any modding but I kind of went whole hog. So far I've only done the rewiring of the bed as a preventative measure, Z-axis coupler and stabilizers, and belt tensioners. The Z-axis mods actually helped a fair bit but the tensioners could go back to the stock ones. I'll take a look at those clips to help with the Bowden connectors when I get them.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

What do you do when your print job is bigger than your build area? Improvise. :v:

If this comes out anything close to right I'll be amazed.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Reminds me of that Futurama episode where Fry joins Bender in the robot apartment. "It's a little cramped", "What?! This closet is 2.3 cubic meters and together we only take up 1.8 cubic meters; there's loads of room!"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

When students ask me about the toxicity of our SLA resin, I compare it to bleach. It won't kill you just to be around it, and you don't need a respirator unless you're unusually sensitive, but you should wear gloves when you work with it and avoid getting it on your skin, and definitely don't drink it or get it in your eyes.

I kinda like the peppery smell it has tbh. Super sticky and annoying to try and wash off your hands though.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I joined a maker space and now have access to 3d printers. These are my first two prints done on a PolyPrinter with ABS. I am learning the Formlabs SLA printer Sunday and there is a Rostock Max V3 (3 axis) PLA, PETG, or Nylon printer as well.

The Arduino case (not my model) cover has a spring loaded button in the back to keep it closed and the reset button in the front works.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I designed up a smoke ring/torus ring launcher for my 5 yr old nephew. Has a range of like 5 meters

It's a fun little toy I might need to print out a copy for myself

https://imgur.com/a/ooAlnLn

It's a fairly simple design task but if anyone wants the STL just tell me and I'll upload

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jestery posted:

I designed up a smoke ring/torus ring launcher for my 5 yr old nephew. Has a range of like 5 meters

It's a fairly simple design task but if anyone wants the STL just tell me and I'll upload

Odd way to vape :thunk:

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Jestery posted:

Your link just looks like a blank page to me.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

peepsalot posted:

Your link just looks like a blank page to me.
Sorted

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Nice fleshlight

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Full Circle posted:

Nice fleshlight

Certainly gives a blowy

mewse
May 2, 2006

If you're in Canada, Canadian Tire has a digital caliper on sale right now. I picked one up and it's better than my chinese amazon one that wouldn't hold zero.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Good timing, my old caliper just went on the fritz.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What's the best free program for making your own 3D print patterns?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Gort posted:

What's the best free program for making your own 3D print patterns?

Tinkercad is good for beginners

Fusion 360 when you get a little more advanced

I just installed a genuine e3dv6

And my god it makes a noticeable difference, even on the first layer. I'm a convert, those dudes know their poo poo

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I just finished training with the geomagic capture scanner and wrap software, effort post incoming but oh good it's so quick and easy to use I can't even exaggerate.

The scanner is quick, auto mode is as good as done, the HDR mode is slower but gets more data from each scan position. Lining the scanner up is super easy as there's a projected matrix as well as a laser cross.

Auto best fit matching consecutive scans together is pretty drat good and takes like 3 second per scan, the manual alignment tool for matching up scans that auto didn't get (you turned the piece on its side etc) is as easy as selecting from a list of scans to be "fixed" or "free" then clicking at least three similar points on each partial scan and it nails them together.

Follow that up with the automatic registration command and it jiggles all the scans until they really match. There are dirt simple but super powerful tools to edit the point cloud if you want.

Turningo that point cloud into a mesh is a couple of button clicks then there's a hundred tools to fix and manipulate the mesh, from which creating spline data, iges lines, true features and surfaces are again a few clicks away. For every string of commands there's an auto mode or you can step through it yourself tweaking as you go. It's truly some of the easiest to use software I've had the pleasure of paying for.

Basically we turned a lump of steel into a set of surfaces and features necessary to machine a true replacement in about an hour and a half, on day one.

It's worth the money to the company, but obviously circa £15k (training and support etc included) is outside hobby level.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That sounds really sweet, the future costs but the future is also really cool.

Beaucoup Haram
Jun 18, 2005

Got an Ender 3 delivered a few days ago, with some help from Jestery and FB groups, these were my first 3 prints -

Poor bed adhesion due to incorrect levelling and a warped bed.

Got a sheet of glass, did live levelling on the skirt print, this is my recent print

Well ahead of where I thought I'd be after a few hours of fiddling.

Next step is a temp tower to try and reduce stringing a bit and a torture test to see what I can improve. Will probably loosen all screws and re tighten as the bed sits a little skewed too.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

One e3dv6 and titan later she's printing well.

I guess something was just struggling and needed good quality parts

She is finally capable of full (as possible) self replication as I was struggling with the bushing holders but now she is rattling them off like a dream.

Ty all for you help

Buy genuine, less problems.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jestery posted:

One e3dv6 and titan later she's printing well.

I guess something was just struggling and needed good quality parts

She is finally capable of full (as possible) self replication as I was struggling with the bushing holders but now she is rattling them off like a dream.

Ty all for you help

Buy genuine, less problems.

You built a hypercube right? How did you mount the titan?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

mewse posted:

You built a hypercube right? How did you mount the titan?

I reused to mounting bracket for the Y motor on the cr10 and screwed that into the 2020 frame.

I also hacksawed the neck off a clone jhead to mcguyver a Bowden adaptor while the the genuine part comes in and it works well enough

It's not the best photo ,but I'll be fiddling with it now it can print reliebly

mewse
May 2, 2006

Oh I didn't realize you were using titan in a bowden config, that certainly works

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

mewse posted:

Oh I didn't realize you were using titan in a bowden config, that certainly works

My end goal is to crack the 300mm/a barrier so I'm trying to cut down on moving mass as much as possible

Edit: detail pic of the mount

Jestery fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 30, 2018

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I have a 3D printer adjacent question. I'm looking to make a very long linear movement system, on the order of 10-50m. I don't need super high accuracy or precision, just the ability to travel relatively long distances along a line. Does anyone have any experience in putting something like this together for relatively cheap? Maybe using some combo of extruded aluminum or guide rails?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Spazzle posted:

I have a 3D printer adjacent question. I'm looking to make a very long linear movement system, on the order of 10-50m. I don't need super high accuracy or precision, just the ability to travel relatively long distances along a line. Does anyone have any experience in putting something like this together for relatively cheap? Maybe using some combo of extruded aluminum or guide rails?

In terms of motion system , maybe some of those roller that go on 8mm steel rod. Or even some sort of roller that goes on to PVC tubing.

I guess marlin could do this but I'm not sure if it's the right fit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Jestery posted:

It's not the best photo ,but I'll be fiddling with it now it can print reliebly

I have spoken too soon

I feel like the biggest dumbass, like I'm following all the right things and things just keep jamming.

Gosh darn it