Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The big song from the Blade Soundtrack was a remix of Confusion by New Order
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6UXQ_9IRo8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Phanatic posted:

A lot of the people making it had a background that was very different than what was described. Dr. Dre went to a suburban high school. Ice Cube went to college in Arizona and studied architectural drafting. Chuck D was studying graphic design (which he has a B.F.A. in) at Adelphi when he met Flav. Kurtis Blow was a communications student at Nyack. Common went to a private high school and then Florida A&M to study business administration. Tupac studied jazz and ballet at a magnet school in Baltimore. The guys in De La Soul went to high school in Amityville, which is about as suburban as you can get.

The number of old-school rappers who were serious criminals might actually be lower than the number that had middle-class backgrounds and never came within a mile of crime.

Another great 90's classic movie, CB4, was basically a parody of some of these 'hard' 90's rappers.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uli2000 posted:

Another great 90's classic movie, CB4, was basically a parody of some of these 'hard' 90's rappers.

i haven't thought about that movie in years, but I seemed to remember it owned.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Yeah.

https://youtu.be/kga2soqvMF0

Fear Of A Black Hat was also pretty good.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Iron Crowned posted:

You want the early 90's? This was the CD you needed:

Hell yeah, I got that album still!!

Also, takes place in the 70's but quintessential 90's movie: Dazed and Confused.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I forgot that Frank Black released some good stuff in the 90s solo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ2qi9KfEZ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2zb_iZC6nI

Which I cannot post without posting Breeders
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxvkI9MTQw4

Though at the time I had no idea who the Pixies were so, I was in for a surprise.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
EDIT: Double Post

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM7H0ooV_o8

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't know what reminded me of these, but the TV specials in the 90s moved from just celebs your parents knew talking about each other to AMAZING SECRETS REVEALED!, which the first is obviously Alien Autopsy.

But there was this one

Breaking the Magician's Code
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPj2hFc9XQw

And of course
Exposed - Pro Wrestlings Greatest Secrets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znhP2tsrx-s

I liked how after the second aired, the next Raw, Mick Foley said "now that Pro Wrestlings Greatest Secrets have been exposed, I am unbeatable!!!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

twistedmentat posted:

I don't know what reminded me of these, but the TV specials in the 90s moved from just celebs your parents knew talking about each other to AMAZING SECRETS REVEALED!, which the first is obviously Alien Autopsy.

But there was this one

Breaking the Magician's Code
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPj2hFc9XQw

It's up in its entirety on Netflix, if you haven't seen it. It's well worth a watch.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I remember that magician thing. That guy's mask really creeped me out for some reason like I was legit terrified of it as a child :ohdear:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's up in its entirety on Netflix, if you haven't seen it. It's well worth a watch.

yea i saw it when it aired. My favorite part is when Mitch Peleggi says "The assistants are there to distract the audience, I know they're working for me".

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Alice in chains unplugged is incredible. I'll listen to the whole thing on you tube every so often.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Alice in chains unplugged is incredible. I'll listen to the whole thing on you tube every so often.

It really is. It isn’t all THAT often that unplugged stuff is better than the album versions, but it manages.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I forgot how much I adore this video. It's also 90s as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-MroGCKDcM

Some 90s stuff I spied: super damaged platinum blonde hair, pigtail buns, the cars on the street at the beginning, neon colored interiors for fast food places with matching uniforms, the yellow smiley face watch, old ladies wearing visors and fanny packs

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Dixville posted:

I remember that magician thing. That guy's mask really creeped me out for some reason like I was legit terrified of it as a child :ohdear:

I remember when he took it off and revealed his identity at the end, everybody went "who?"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cacator posted:

I remember when he took it off and revealed his identity at the end, everybody went "who?"

Yeah I remember that being a really interesting show about how magic tricks are done. Then having exactly that reaction. I'd never heard of him even a single time before that and I was the type that if a magic show came on TV you'd bet your rear end I was watching it.

Though I also remember them making a huge deal out of OH NOES!!! REVEALING SECRETS!!! DON'T WATCH THIS IF YOU LIKE MAGIC BECAUSE IT WILL RUIN IT!!!!!! as if it was some edgy thing they were doing. Because apparently you couldn't just like buy a book on magic tricks and either get a description of them or just figure them out on your own.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I remember this video causing a stir when it came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7l5ZeVVoCA

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dixville posted:

I forgot how much I adore this video. It's also 90s as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-MroGCKDcM

Some 90s stuff I spied: super damaged platinum blonde hair, pigtail buns, the cars on the street at the beginning, neon colored interiors for fast food places with matching uniforms, the yellow smiley face watch, old ladies wearing visors and fanny packs

Don't forget filming with wide angle lenses and Dutch angles.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

How about a music video from a UK pop duo that tied in to the Power Rangers movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_RNAoBlUIo

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Qft.

The Nirvana one is pretty damned good, too. The cover of The Man Who Sold The World is amazing.

At the opposite end of the spectrum was the Eric Clapton one.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Phanatic posted:

Qft.

The Nirvana one is pretty damned good, too. The cover of The Man Who Sold The World is amazing.

At the opposite end of the spectrum was the Eric Clapton one.

Nirvana covering Man who sold the world, with the benefit of hindsight, is so obviously a sign of Cobain's impending suicide. The missed note in the solo still gives me chills.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I used to spend hours practicing the AiC unplugged on my guitar I love that album to this day

Between that, the Crow, and Fantastic Planet by Failure there were more than a few albums I could set to play and just zone out listening which just isn't a thing that happens anymore (because I'm old and set in my ways I'm sure)

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Alice in Chains Unplugged starts off really strong and is pretty amazing throughout but it's noticeable by the half way point that Layne was really not... well.
He takes off his sunglasses and he looks half dead.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quote-Unquote posted:

Alice in Chains Unplugged starts off really strong and is pretty amazing throughout but it's noticeable by the half way point that Layne was really not... well.

I assumed he was pillsick the whole time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dixville posted:

fanny packs

God I hated these, my mom of course adored them. There was that brief time in like 1991 when they were cool (because I was 10), and my mom bought us all a neon yellow/pink/blue monstrosities. We were forced to then bring them with us to hold our inventories anytime we went anywhere from then on out, much to my chagrin.

How in the hell did I forget about the Crow? That was the movie, among my people when I was in 8th grade.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i wear a fanny pack literally every day. it owns for biking around town

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Quote-Unquote posted:

It's an impressive performance when you realize he was basically ready to tip over and the rest of the band wasn't even sure he'd be there. It's also probably the last thing he ever really did of significance with the band. He recorded two songs for a box set type thing afterwards, but to give you an idea of how bad things got for him, when the band went on Rockline (which used to a fairly popular syndicated show that hipped me to a lot of stuff and probably deserves it's own post from someone more knowledgeable) to promote it, he ended up calling into the show and it clearly surprised the rest of the band and the host. I guess it could have been planned but given how incredibly hosed up his life got it's totally plausible.

Apparently when they found him, it was "Rookie officer in the corner puking his guts out" bad, guy's injection arm had gone gangrenous. He had a hell of a singing voice and was apparently really kind according to a lot of Seattle peers, his story was really sad. His mom had plenty to say about the ghouls who hung around Layne once he got famous in the excellent book Grunge is Dead by Greg Prato. Kurt Cobain had a similar issue. I know Mark Arm (Mudhoney, and a friend of Kurt's) says he wishes that when Kurt asked Mark how he got clean, he wished he'd have said "You have to take a break from all of this, and you have to ditch your junkie wife, too."

Maybe unfair to Courtney, but I kinda get it.

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Jun 19, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's an impressive performance when you realize he was basically ready to tip over and the rest of the band wasn't even sure he'd be there. It's also probably the last thing he ever really did of significance with the band. He recorded two songs for a box set type thing afterwards, but to give you an idea of how bad things got for him, when the band went on Rockline (which used to a fairly popular syndicated show that hipped me to a lot of stuff and probably deserves it's own post from someone more knowledgeable) to promote it, he ended up calling into the show and it clearly surprised the rest of the band and the host. I guess it could have been planned but given how incredibly hosed up his life got it's totally plausible.

Apparently when they found him, it was "Rookie officer in the corner puking his guts out" bad, guy's injection arm had gone gangrenous.

He had a hell of a singing voice and was apparently really kind according to a lot of Seattle peers, his story was really sad.

He was dead for two weeks when he was found. He was a decomposing 85-pound skeleton.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Iron Crowned posted:

How in the hell did I forget about the Crow? That was the movie, among my people when I was in 8th grade.

I don't think The Crow was as popular as expected when it released in theaters and around where I lived it took about a year or so for it start growing a larger cult popularity, and by the late 90s it was that entire South Park joke of, "I'm dressing as The Crow for Halloween" brought to life.

I do want to say that The Crow HAS been largely forgotten, I think, by a lot of modern audiences because the Heath Ledger Joker has supplanted it in the minds of a lot of audiences. Granted, not the same characters, but there are some shared elements between the characters and even the actors that played them.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Its been forgotten, probably because lovely country is pretty much forgotten, but its amazing how Garth Brooks ruled the 90s if you were living in a boring suburban life.

They even broadcast a concert on NBC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-f5_AKfy9U

of the 10 best selling albums of the 90s, 3 of them are Garth Brooks albums.

Shania Twain had more crossover success, and honestly, when someone says that they hate country, they're thinking of stuff like this. The New Country that popped up in the mid 90s. It's been discussed earlier, that after Grunge took over and drowned hair metal and most other rock in a shallow puddle, the producers and song writers that were so important in making those bands that ruled in the late 80s and early 90s moved to Nashville and helped develop a new crop of country singers that had a pop sensibility for crossover success.

I dislike country because that which makes it country i do not find enjoyable to listen to, so before someone starts going "oh you just have to listen to REAL country", they can save their breath.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JediTalentAgent posted:

I don't think The Crow was as popular as expected when it released in theaters and around where I lived it took about a year or so for it start growing a larger cult popularity, and by the late 90s it was that entire South Park joke of, "I'm dressing as The Crow for Halloween" brought to life.

I do want to say that The Crow HAS been largely forgotten, I think, by a lot of modern audiences because the Heath Ledger Joker has supplanted it in the minds of a lot of audiences. Granted, not the same characters, but there are some shared elements between the characters and even the actors that played them.

The Crow had the Kevin Smith effect for the studio: decent box office, KILLER sales on video. Well, Kevin in the 90's.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm actually not sure if I solidly remember any Garth Brooks songs from the 90s, despite my main radio station being 105.1 Orlando (the hits station that did weekly 80s days).

I've been a little obsessed with this Deli Creeps song. The album is from 2001, but I believe it's made up of content that they'd been playing for years by that point. It was Buckethead's old band before he became an almost exclusive solo artist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4F-vR_Y0lA

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I've mentioned the song, "Gone Country" before. It's a song that I'm still surprised is from 1994 because I would have assumed, not really paying attention to country in the 90s, that it was a song written about 2000-2010 after a long time of the industry starting to sound a lot more like other genres..

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Its been forgotten, probably because lovely country is pretty much forgotten, but its amazing how Garth Brooks ruled the 90s if you were living in a boring suburban life.

They even broadcast a concert on NBC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-f5_AKfy9U

of the 10 best selling albums of the 90s, 3 of them are Garth Brooks albums.

Shania Twain had more crossover success, and honestly, when someone says that they hate country, they're thinking of stuff like this. The New Country that popped up in the mid 90s. It's been discussed earlier, that after Grunge took over and drowned hair metal and most other rock in a shallow puddle, the producers and song writers that were so important in making those bands that ruled in the late 80s and early 90s moved to Nashville and helped develop a new crop of country singers that had a pop sensibility for crossover success.

I dislike country because that which makes it country i do not find enjoyable to listen to, so before someone starts going "oh you just have to listen to REAL country", they can save their breath.

There was a weird part of my life where Garth Brooks and 2Pac sat uneasily beside each other in my mom's cd collection. The 90s are kind of like a fever dream for me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DicktheCat posted:

There was a weird part of my life where Garth Brooks and 2Pac sat uneasily beside each other in my mom's cd collection. The 90s are kind of like a fever dream for me.

One thing I think that was positive in the 90s that it became okay to listen to different genres of music during the decade. I certianly remember it being weird if you liked metal and rap, or techno and grunge, you could easily be alienated from sociali groups if you didn't listen to the right stuff, but as the decade wore on, it became less important about what you listened to, became more important who you listened to.

Maybe my high school was more cliqueish?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Speaking of Buckethead, it's easy to forget just how long he's been playing guitar. This is still one of his concert staples and the album came out in 1994.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GFtkPJU1WE

The album has vocals from Iggy Pop and Bill Moseley (who is quite a nice guy to work with according to an acquaintance who did a film with him).

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's an impressive performance when you realize he was basically ready to tip over and the rest of the band wasn't even sure he'd be there.
Their manager was watching from backstage, bawling his eyes out because he couldn't believe Lane could do it. What isn't obvious about that performance was that it took over 3 hours to record.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Their manager was watching from backstage, bawling his eyes out because he couldn't believe Lane could do it. What isn't obvious about that performance was that it took over 3 hours to record.

The DVD has if not an uncut version a lot more of it; I haven't watched it in a long time and don't know where mine is but I know there was more stuff that isn't on the CD in between songs

I can literally remember where I was when I found out he died; I was in a book store in college and someone offhandedly mentioned they'd heard about it before they came over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

JediTalentAgent posted:

It cant rain all the time