Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I get slate by going to home depot and purchasing a single 12"x12" slate tile for about $1, and then hitting it with a hammer until there were pieces an appropriate size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Inquisitor Greyfax is my new favorite model I've painted. I'm nowhere near done, but it's been a ton of fun so far. Well, aside from spilling a bunch of Screaming Bell all over my pants and making it look like someone poo poo in my lap.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
You can get one pound bags of slate specifically intended for miniatures on Amazon.not as cheap as smashing a Home Depot tile but still affordable and they're lightly tumbled so they look to scale.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Good lord thats a lot of aggressors. They look awesome so far.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bucnasti posted:

You can get one pound bags of slate specifically intended for miniatures on Amazon.not as cheap as smashing a Home Depot tile but still affordable and they're lightly tumbled so they look to scale.

I'd imagine the smashing itself is, however, wonderfully cathartic?

Just, like, cover it with thick canvas and wear eye protection.

:ohdear:

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Those look outstanding mate. Real joy watching them come together!

These guys are getting there. Markings and sword stuff tomorrow.

Private_Snafu
Nov 26, 2007

Chiwie posted:

Those look outstanding mate. Real joy watching them come together!

These guys are getting there. Markings and sword stuff tomorrow.

Really digging the olive green marines.

I'm currently in the process of painting up a box of Rubric Marines. I probably shouldn't have tried to batch paint ten at once without a plan aside from Duncan's WHTV video. I've got a plan now and it'd be nice if someone could confirm I'm not crazy for doing it this way.

I've picked this one to finish as a test model with the process below.

code:
Cleaned and made sub assemblies:
	Legs and torsos
	Shoulder pads
	Arms
	Weapons
	Heads
	Tabards

Drilled barrels, cleaned mould lines.
Sprayed stynylrez black to prime.
Sprayed Vallejo Metal Gold.
Wasn’t thorough enough with the priming and gold layer, should’ve checked after each coat (missed spots in areas that won’t be seen unless someone is upskirting them).
Washed (too heavily) with Reikland Fleshshade. Should’ve thinned it, or gone easier with it. Areas of the gold turned out very dark.
Painted Reaper Deep Ocean on armour.
Washed with AP Strong Tone.
Dry brushed Vallejo Metal Gold.
Layer of Marine teal over Deep Ocean. Pretty sure either this doesn't have great coverage or I've over thinned, everything looks like it needs a second pass up close but is okay at arms length.

Future plan:
Paint Vallejo Metal duraluminum on guns and armor cables
Paint black on gun casing
Paint Vallejo Metal Chrome on gems
Paint sun yellow on large stripes
Paint medium yellow on large stripes
Paint light grey on tabards
Wash tabards with drakenhoff nightshade

Assemble
Highlight and clean.
Do eyes and gems.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
I hate painting skin.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

bonds0097 posted:

I hate painting skin.

I guess wear gloves? Still, it’s just acrylic so it should wash off pretty easily?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Schadenboner posted:

I guess wear gloves? Still, it’s just acrylic so it should wash off pretty easily?

Hilarious.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Glued pouches, grenades, banners, and birds to some marines this morning, then I got some more paint on my Obliterator conversions.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm almost done with Inquisitor Greyfax, I've got to base her and maybe put on some hardcoat to make the metal shinier. The only thing I'm not happy with is the gauge on the back. But also I tried a bunch and kept loving it up, so I'm going to leave it.

flamingweedle
Oct 8, 2010

How do you do sub assemblies like that? Are you drilling holes in everything and gluing the tips of the rods? I want to stop being a lazy idiot who only tries to paint fully assembled minis.

Private_Snafu
Nov 26, 2007

flamingweedle posted:

How do you do sub assemblies like that? Are you drilling holes in everything and gluing the tips of the rods? I want to stop being a lazy idiot who only tries to paint fully assembled minis.

Mostly yeah. I can usually get away without gluing, provided the hole is tight enough, but it can make things awkward. For the pauldrons and tabards I used blu-tac. Other people probably have better suggestions but this seems to work alright for me.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

bonds0097 posted:

Hilarious.

I'll be here all week! Tip the veal, try your waitress!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Schadenboner posted:

I'll be here all week!
We wish you weren't.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ilor posted:

We wish you weren't.

Well, my weekend starts in a couple of hours and I'm mostly a workposter and I'm taking care of the tiny hu-mon more than is usual next week so you might get your wish, at least partly?

:shobon:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Made some progress on my MkIII marines the other day. Highlights are in place and ready for clean-up.

Safety Factor posted:

I just finished up 5 MkIII marines for a tactical support squad. They're all magnetized at the wrist to let me switch out weapons however I want. I've got flamers, plasma guns, meltaguns, volkite calivers, and volkite chargers. However, only the flamers are painted so far. Painting black armor, as always, is an arduous task endless joy and I've got 15 more just like these guys. And 20 heavy support marines.
:shepface:

Don't know what happened with the white balance in that last image, but it doesn't really matter.

Additionally, while I was doing the bases for these guys, I got a head start on my next project:

????????

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Pretty happy with how the sword turned out. I wanted that to be the focal point of the model.

Loads more work to do.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug
This guy is already a pain to paint thanks to that pelt but really excited to keep going on him, such a cool and dynamic pose.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
So after staring at them for a couple of weeks I dragged out the airbrush and primed and base coated all 35 dudes on my table. Throw in the Stormtroopers and the Hellhound and that's 50 models to do to finish off 2000 points.

... and I'm trying to ignore the box of Escher and the AdMech SC! box sitting next to me.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Back on this TOXX.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed
Finally a productive weekend for the first time in a while. Spent a good chunk of time Saturday organizing stuff, getting my airbrush station set up, and doing final customization on an Intercessor squad+.

Sunday I actually managed to get some paint on plastic. Still a long way to go but it's a start, and I think I'm happy with the base coat color for my Death Company. Since the rest of the chapter is going to be the bright blue on the right below, I'm trying a dark blue over black so it still reads as DC but up close you can tell they're not pure black, idea being they're regular chapter guys who have just had their armor darkened. Have to wash one and see if it still subtly reads as blue and also give P3 Coal Black a try and see if I like that better but it's not far from dialed in now.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Nice! Did you make those Blood Angel pauldron things or buy them somewhere? I bought a primaris upgrade sprue but it's a pain in the butt with the primaris that come in the DI box. Since their shoulder pads and arms are all one piece it means you have to hack the entire thing off before you can put on the new one, and even then getting the fit right is a challenge.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I love seeing people use that grenade launcher conversion.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I fully intend to do it when I get around to a box of intercessors. The full-sized grenade magazine underslung on a miniature, rapid fire rocket launcher (bolter) is 40k as poo poo.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:siren: WIP :siren:

The hunter-killer missiles are magnetized as they're an option in 30k. They also need a bit of clean-up, but the dreadnought itself is ready to be primed. The right arm is magnetized and I've got a plasma cannon for this guy too. The left is glued on as he will never be without his crozius.
:colbert:

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Crosspostin from the 40k thread:

Chiwie posted:

I finished off my latest batch of mandollies.

Together with the other 5 members of the squad that I finished earlier:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Are those his own legs bones in his leg reliquaries?

Because that's loving hardcore.

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

One million men at war,

Mikey Purp posted:

Nice! Did you make those Blood Angel pauldron things or buy them somewhere? I bought a primaris upgrade sprue but it's a pain in the butt with the primaris that come in the DI box. Since their shoulder pads and arms are all one piece it means you have to hack the entire thing off before you can put on the new one, and even then getting the fit right is a challenge.

Thanks! Both the blood drops and the chapter symbol are from Pop Goes the Monkey on Shapeways. I also have packs of various sized ones from a different seller that are flat rather than curved like his to use on vehicles - it's hard to see in the picture but there's a droplet on the front of one of the contemptor arms, and a chapter symbol on the side of the other. The only exception is a couple of the sergeants, since I was putting on chainsword and power sword arms from the assault marine kit, I was able to use regular shoulder pads for those.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah they look so good on yours I couldn't not give it a shot! I have to say customizing/kitbashing is one of my favorite things to do so far, and has slowed down my progress a good bit because every time I see a cool idea or 3rd party bit I like, I have to stop progress until I receive it because once I get it in my head I just have to have it. Even little things like giving this guy a helmet from the BA tac marine kit or this other guy a Death Company backpack are fun and go a long way towards making them feel like my own unique squad.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Current progress on Crafworld Ibraesil. I took a few days off to just watch some painting tutorials and...whoops. No wonder they are looking splotchy and thick. So my current plan is to get the Wraithguard, Wraithlord and the War Walker all done, or done to a point where it looks like something, I'll move on the the Farseer and the Guardian Squad. Hopefully those come out better.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Knocked out 32 Howling Griffons Primaris helmets tonight.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I still really love this Iron Hands sergeant. Getting the squad ready to finish is a good feeling. Hope to get them all done over the weekend now that I don't have a bunch of stuff that I have to do.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

FromTheShire posted:

Yeah they look so good on yours I couldn't not give it a shot! I have to say customizing/kitbashing is one of my favorite things to do so far, and has slowed down my progress a good bit because every time I see a cool idea or 3rd party bit I like, I have to stop progress until I receive it because once I get it in my head I just have to have it. Even little things like giving this guy a helmet from the BA tac marine kit or this other guy a Death Company backpack are fun and go a long way towards making them feel like my own unique squad.

That's why I bought a 3D printer. Now I can make my own crazy widgets!

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

One million men at war,

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's why I bought a 3D printer. Now I can make my own crazy widgets!

I'm super jealous, I'm trying to decide what I want to get for a printer to make a bunch of terrain since I backed a couple of the Printable Scenery Kickstarters. Your stuff looks fantastic but I kind of feel like it might be overkill for just making terrain vs something that works with plastic since it's cheaper and has a higher build volume. The quality is hard to argue with since I don't want to have to do a ton of sanding etc afterwards to get decent looking stuff though.

Started working on something a little different, a wrestling team for the Rumbelslam game. Tried the zenithal highlighting method, but I think I went too heavy or too dark over top of it? I've never been able to pick up on the finished effect as well as other people for whatever reason so maybe I'm wrong but to my eyes I don't really see a difference. Still a good way to test some stuff out on models I'm not quite as attached to as my 40k stuff, so I also used liquid green stuff for the first time on the troll and one of the orcs to fill some gaps which went ok, and now I can experiment with some color/highlighting choices with the troll since he's the same color as my marines.

I really need to get my macromat set up so I can take some better pictures, but if anyone has advice on how to do this better next time I'm all ears.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Are those his own legs bones in his leg reliquaries?

Because that's loving hardcore.

Nah, they're the last guy's. Those reliquaries are the "Left on the curb" Craigslist announcements of the 41st Millennium.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Matte coat and edge highlights left! Gotta love all that sculpted detail, no decals needed.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Almost no painting, but stripping about 30 Matchbox/Hotwheels cars and getting on converting up some vehicles for Gaslands.

Goal is to do everything without any pre-made bits. Still have a lot of work to go, especially in terms of sanding down some of the flared-out bodies, but I like where I’m starting. Really enjoying my ridiculous pickup with a tank cannon in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Doing my cross-posting rounds for the Dunecrawler I just finished up. Probably took 10-20 hours in total, so it's a bit of a relief to have him finally done.