Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Ayn Randi posted:

I can definitely see that for the guys who are actually investigating you, someone higher up though has the knowledge to make the call on what evidence demands a conviction and enough power/influence to be operating as an officially empowered shadow arm of the government. And is also presumably discreetly covering up the corpses and the summoned demons and the misshapen knows who have begun to manifest physical marks instead of immediately screaming omg look at this crazy loving poo poo to the world at large

are you saying there's a Long arm of the law :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So let's say I've lost a lot of minions in one run, is there a limit on how many cultists I can get? Do named ones ever come back in any way? or am I boned?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i dont know that this game ever becomes difficult (past your first deaths to evidence, fascination and dread), so anything that isnt lantern just takes a bit longer

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Red Mike posted:

e: That said, it's not as insanely rare as Edge lore. I mean, come on. I don't think I've ever managed to finish an Edge commission.

There's a fair bit of higher-level Edge lore knocking around, but there does seem to be a famine in the early game.

That said, Edge was the only lore I had to seriously get into subverting for in my all-max-lores run. Which had to come from Moth, because I didn't have enough any closer. Moth has to go through Lantern and Forge to get to Edge :shepicide:

Speedball posted:

So let's say I've lost a lot of minions in one run, is there a limit on how many cultists I can get? Do named ones ever come back in any way? or am I boned?

You get two or three in each category and they're unique. They do not come back.

Fortunately, cultists don't do much you can't get elsewhere. I'd say you're fine so long as you've got at least one Knock cultist left, and maybe one in your victory/cult aspect.

Verviticus posted:

i dont know that this game ever becomes difficult (past your first deaths to evidence, fascination and dread), so anything that isnt lantern just takes a bit longer

Yeah, once you know how to deal with threats it's basically impossible to lose.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
There's a development retrospective up on the website, and while the whole thing is worth a read IMO but of particular interest is that the last month of development was supposed to be additional legacies but that got axed in favour of UI improvements and breadcrumbing. So I'd be shocked if we didn't see those get hammered out and bolted on in the coming months.

Also, their sales target was 10k copies in the first year and their dream scenario was 30k. They sold 40k+ in a fortnight.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
enjoyed the comment from the development track "it is with great sorrow I announce that the bug where two magnet-receptacles going after the same card resulted in the card bouncing back and forth between them until one of the two timed out has been fixed"

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Tehan posted:

There's a development retrospective up on the website, and while the whole thing is worth a read IMO but of particular interest is that the last month of development was supposed to be additional legacies but that got axed in favour of UI improvements and breadcrumbing.

One thing I would say, having played while it was in beta, is that the UI improvements and breadcrumbing for release are super handy because a few things were incredibly opaque previously.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I get Edge stuff thrown at me left and right in my games. I constantly get all of the tools and regularly get like 3 level 6s early on.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

yeah, if they have any improvements to give to the game I'd love to see it. Plus anything that lets you upgrade that headquarters. Dunno what it would DO, but hey. Maybe a more reliable source of Eruditions or Glimmerings or something.

"Escape hatch" or "hiding space," can be used to sequester someone so you absolutely do not lose them to a trial, or yourself, but needs to be rebuilt (you need a new hiding space)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Speedball posted:

yeah, if they have any improvements to give to the game I'd love to see it. Plus anything that lets you upgrade that headquarters. Dunno what it would DO, but hey. Maybe a more reliable source of Eruditions or Glimmerings or something.

"Escape hatch" or "hiding space," can be used to sequester someone so you absolutely do not lose them to a trial, or yourself, but needs to be rebuilt (you need a new hiding space)

An actual prison instead of a cupboard, so that prisoners don't expire.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tehan posted:

There's a development retrospective up on the website, and while the whole thing is worth a read IMO but of particular interest is that the last month of development was supposed to be additional legacies but that got axed in favour of UI improvements and breadcrumbing. So I'd be shocked if we didn't see those get hammered out and bolted on in the coming months.

Also, their sales target was 10k copies in the first year and their dream scenario was 30k. They sold 40k+ in a fortnight.

quote:

Feedback is invaluable and we’re grateful to everyone who sent something in (apart from the guy who said Alexis should be tried as a war criminal in the Hague – screw that guy)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

The game really feels like it was designed around Lantern with other stuff added. It has good, easy to access summons, it's one of the two types of Lore required to progress, it has one of the only Aspect victories, and it does feel like there's a little more in the way of books/artifacts, especially early game. Even the overarching lore seems like Lantern is the canon way for the character to ascend.

You can cheat with those two, but there is actually a sensible path through the Mansus with different lores that I worked out via slot descriptions. It does seem like the "right one" to get to the Peacock Gate, however.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

An actual prison instead of a cupboard, so that prisoners don't expire.

ooh, yeah, excellent idea.

also whoever gave me the tip of imprisoning hirelings so I can suck their blood/use them as ritual sacrifice, good job guys.

The Spider Door asks for a blood sacrifice just to enter it, does it regularly give out anything particularly good?

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

power word- Jeb! posted:

are you saying there's a Long arm of the law :hmmyes:

:perfect:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Speedball posted:

also whoever gave me the tip of imprisoning hirelings so I can suck their blood/use them as ritual sacrifice, good job guys.

The Spider Door asks for a blood sacrifice just to enter it, does it regularly give out anything particularly good?

I found that the Spider Door gives out good stuff, but not that much better than other stuff, and I got to the Peacock Door pretty quickly after Spider anyway so I just started hitting the Peacock Door. You need followers to do something in order to enter the door in either case.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Speedball posted:

You can get some crazy Forge influence and ingredients out of there, or if you don't particularly need those, lore that you can use to hunt down places with a chance to drop your Peacock Gate key without needing to spend prep and time merging the littler lores.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Farming the Spider Door until you get the Frangiclave is pretty worth it, because repairing that poo poo to go through the Peacock door every time takes a ton of Silver Spintra.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Everyone who thinks the Lantern ascension is easiest is crazy. It's Forge by a mile. Two miles maybe.

Prisoners are worth multiple Funds in terms of value and hassle. The Spider Door is considerably more rewarding than the Peacock Door unless you lucked into an early Frangiclave, and you can't even say "well you need Lantern to ascend the Mansus" because Lantern subverts into Forge so it's not hard to go from mid-game 8 Lantern and 8 Forge to ascension ready 10 Forge. Or, well, you can ascend with Knock by eating up literally anything else.

Doing The Work early with Lantern/Grail means you have to keep a new resource in play. With Forge it means your cost to live goes up by like 5%.

Spider Door is super good. You can literally make enough money to live off of hiring shmucks, feeding them to your dreams, and selling the mad valuable dream-stuff at the auction-house.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
what dream stuff can you even sell? the iotic essence and...

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Verviticus posted:

what dream stuff can you even sell? the iotic essence and...

when you are dreaming up something that sells for twenty funds a pop on a semi-regular basis, that is the moment that you go from part time cultist to full time cultist

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sandweed posted:

I wasted hours trying to get to 36 heart for a power victory before realizing it wanted forge.

back up the save file, it'll be handy for a Life victory

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

One of my language scholarship cards disappeared after I studied a fourth language! Is there not enough room in my brain or does that mean I've just used up all the books that require it?

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

One of my language scholarship cards disappeared after I studied a fourth language! Is there not enough room in my brain or does that mean I've just used up all the books that require it?

It probably was buried under another card. Try clicking on the empty spot on the Study action and see if something lights up that it shouldn't.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
It probably means it's physically (digitally?) hidden, with another card being on top of it.

Either that, or a bug.

You shouldn't lose skills.

FAKE EDIT: Did you try to learn the same language again? Unique cards (like rituals) disappear if you get a newer copy.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jun 19, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I saw it fade out before my eyes!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Synthbuttrange posted:

I saw it fade out before my eyes!

Were you trying to learn the same language? That's what happens when you get two copies of the same unique card.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Arg, I'm deadlocked due to lack of Moth lore. Even one goddam fragment and I could migrate everything else around and max out Lantern.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

If you’re nearing max level lore do some expeditions, they’ll usually throw high level books at you.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

If you’re nearing max level lore do some expeditions, they’ll usually throw high level books at you.

Yeah I've been grinding them for a while but the RNG has not been kind for a long time. I'm basically flooded with everything but Moth or Lantern.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah I've been grinding them for a while but the RNG has not been kind for a long time. I'm basically flooded with everything but Moth or Lantern.

the addition of grindable repeatables is a pretty solid addition.

mirrorghost, legmass, poppa needs to round out his collection, go rifle through some standing stones, here's some spending money.

with occasional transitions to FONT OF LIMITLESS CHANGE AND POWER, also still legmass.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

If you're out of unique expeditions Unnumbered Stones is the best for grinding, iirc. 1 common and 2 uncommon draws. Though if it's rares you're after you'll need to do Miah instead. Hope you found Frangiclave~~~

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

the Gambeast

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

The Human Centipede (alpha version)

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
The Beast With Zero Backs

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Johnny Tenshoes

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Ze Pollack posted:

The Beast With Zero Backs

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
god i want to see the other ascension paths. let the Mother of Ants Open us. let us become a weapon in the hand of the Colonel. let us stare into the Sun-In-Rags. i gotta learn more horrific secrets.

let us make the Supremely Bad Decision of trying to venerate the Crowned Growth just so we can see what happens

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ze Pollack posted:

god i want to see the other ascension paths. let the Mother of Ants Open us. let us become a weapon in the hand of the Colonel. let us stare into the Sun-In-Rags. i gotta learn more horrific secrets.

let us make the Supremely Bad Decision of trying to venerate the Crowned Growth just so we can see what happens

Oh boy. Yeah, that would be something.

Still weird me out a bit that your ascension is not tied to your cult preference. But hey.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

It's obvious they're going to add more content, and hopefully at least one ascension path for each cult, but right now it's just a really bad system. There's no narrative or gameplay benefit to founding a cult other than the three ascension paths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's obvious they're going to add more content, and hopefully at least one ascension path for each cult, but right now it's just a really bad system. There's no narrative or gameplay benefit to founding a cult other than the three ascension paths.

Sure there is, I want a Heart cultist who can eat Notoriety for breakfast and poo poo out satisfaction.