Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Each and every phone that runs android right now has its software quirks

It's not just right now and its not just android. It's every phone ever.

(actually every device that has software to have quirks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

gwrtheyrn posted:

Oneplus will always get rave reviews because they ship spec sheets which wows reviewers that have limited time to review the phone. Then later down the line you find out the bad parts like upside down screens and security holes the size of jupiter's red spot. Once upon a time they were cheap enough that you could maybe argue buying one and immediately installing a different rom would be a good value if you had to, but they're not that much cheaper than pixels now. Xiaomi also somewhat lives in this weird spot now, but most of their phones don't fully support LTE in the united states

Samsung optimizes their phones to look flashy and cool for the 5-10 minutes you spend dicking around with the phone in the showroom, and doesn't give a gently caress after that.

OnePlus optimizes their phones to look good the 5-10 minutes it appears on MKBHD's YouTube and doesn't give a gently caress beyond that.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I like my oneplus 6 and cant wait to buy the notchless oneplus 6t

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Why are you such a bad person?

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

My friend broke the poo poo out of my old Xperia Z3 Compact after violently taking a piss. He's looking for a decent handset £200 or under. We're in the UK and he's not looking a contract.

Camera quality isn't important but reasonable performance, screen quality and water resistance would be nice.

What are his options in the UK? I think he's on Tesco mobile, which I believe is an MVNO on O2's network. Not sure if UK goons need to worry about bands like in the Americas.

Nokia 6 2018 or Moto G5+ or Xiaomi mi A1. Not sure about water resistance at that price point though.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

sourdough posted:

I'm not 100% sure, but fairly confident Verizon postpaid won't let you use it
Pretty sure that's still accurate, you have to have a Verizon prepaid phone active on a prepaid account for however many months before they'll let you use it on a postpaid account.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
vivo: we made a notchless phone with a pop up camera
oppo: you are like a little baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2Uu2rYFlPQ

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Malloc Voidstar posted:

vivo: we made a notchless phone with a pop up camera
oppo: you are like a little baby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2Uu2rYFlPQ

this is pretty cool but i hope someone figures out the under-screen front facing camera soon so there doesn't have to be motors and sliding mechanisms (failure points)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Just get rid of the front-facing camera entirely.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Just put the screen on the back.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Just make a camera that has a phone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

me your dad posted:

Just make a camera that has a phone.

Nokia did that

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

I like my oneplus 6 and cant wait to buy the notchless oneplus 6t

Maybe if you bought a good phone you wouldn't feel the need to buy a new phone every three months.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
Every few weeks my Fitbit Ionic disconnects from my Pixel 2 and I have to reinstall and reconnect from scratch to get everything working again. Is this the typical case of Android being bad with Bluetooth? Or is this the Fitbit Ionic being extra garbage and that's why they made a new model so fast?

I got a taste of the notifications on watch life and I really like it. Is this every watch experience on Android???

//This is on Android P, but I had the exact same issues before upgrading as well.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

manwithoutskin posted:

Every few weeks my Fitbit Ionic disconnects from my Pixel 2 and I have to reinstall and reconnect from scratch to get everything working again. Is this the typical case of Android being bad with Bluetooth? Or is this the Fitbit Ionic being extra garbage and that's why they made a new model so fast?

I got a taste of the notifications on watch life and I really like it. Is this every watch experience on Android???

//This is on Android P, but I had the exact same issues before upgrading as well.

Do you definitely have to reinstall? What happens if you just disable/enable bluetooth on the phone? Or power cycle the Fitbit? Sometimes it seems like the drivers haven't got complete control over all the states. So it might have been trying to connect when it was out of range and then given up permanently, when it really should have given up temporarily and started trying again on some sensible trigger.

Example of bad state management from my headphones. It can have two devices at the same time. If I'm connected to 1 device and go out of range, it says "disconnected" and that's that. Then it connects again when within range. But if I have 2 devices connected, 1 of them can go out of range, typically by connecting by phone and leaving the house/laptop. Then it will beep forever every minute or so with "boohoo I can't connect to the laptop anymore". I have to switch them off/on to stop it.

No problem with Android or BT in general, but every supplier has to write some software for their device or driver and inevitably they screw parts of it up.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends

Ola posted:

Do you definitely have to reinstall? What happens if you just disable/enable bluetooth on the phone? Or power cycle the Fitbit? Sometimes it seems like the drivers haven't got complete control over all the states. So it might have been trying to connect when it was out of range and then given up permanently, when it really should have given up temporarily and started trying again on some sensible trigger.

This morning I reset Bluetooth, hard reset my watch, and rebooted my phone, all while the watch was right next to my phone and nothing.

I only mentioned Android/BT problems because I've seen them mentioned here in the past. After installing the latest beta I had a couple of hiccups but everything is back to working great again, except the watch. That would point to Fitbit being the culprit I guess.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

manwithoutskin posted:

Is this every watch experience on Android???

I had a Pebble and a couple of fitness trackers and have never experienced what you are describing, so I think that you are correct in your assumption that it is unique to the Fitbit.

Is unpairing and repairing the watch able to fix the issue or does it actually require reinstalling the application?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

manwithoutskin posted:

It's definitely the Ionic. My wife had one and had exactly the problems you described until it died ten days after purchase. She ended up getting an Alta HR and it's had no problems at all.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Verizon has an offer where I can trade in my Droid turbo 2 and get a pixel 2 for the lowest price I've seen yet.

But I have a wireless charger that I don't want to go to waste. Does anyone have experience using one of those things you plug into the phone that adds a charging pad?

Also, I haven't put any sort of case on my phones, is it a good idea to do case + screen protector?

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Doctor Butts posted:

Does anyone have experience using one of those things you plug into the phone that adds a charging pad?

I used one a few years ago and while it worked as expected, it charged at something like 500mAh so took hours to charge. Maybe the technology has improved since then, though.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I can't remember the thread consensus. Re-applying oleographic coating? Yay/nay?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Internet Explorer posted:

I can't remember the thread consensus. Re-applying oleographic coating? Yay/nay?

Real easy to gently caress up, isn't it?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Have any of you kind folks had Android Messages 4 Web enabled yet?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Nay, it never lasts.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm curious how to do this, it's my biggest annoyance with a phone after 8 months or so.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

So this is a new one. Been using an anker USBC cable and brick for 2 weeks without issue on my Pixel 2XL. Today after getting the June security update, my phone will shut off after 2 or 3 minutes when plugged in. What the hell? Any ideas?

Edit: ran out to my car to see if it was every cable/charger and I haven't gotten a reboot on this one. Guess I have a bad brick.

Edit 2: nvm I think I solved it. Looks like the cleaning crew at work knocked the brick partially out of socket so the phone must have been freaking out about not getting enough or constant power.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 19, 2018

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

TheWevel posted:

Have any of you kind folks had Android Messages 4 Web enabled yet?

No, and I'm dying to know the specifics. Is it like a whatsapp thing where its just tied to a single device? Does the phone need to be on?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

strap on revenge posted:

this is pretty cool but i hope someone figures out the under-screen front facing camera soon so there doesn't have to be motors and sliding mechanisms (failure points)

Everyone says this about Slider Keyboards, kickstands, etc but outside of someone bending/seriously mishandling one I have never seen one broken or broken any of my slider phones that were all made of plastic all those years ago. My Touch Pro 2 and HTC Arrive both still slide and work flawlessly.

The one problem we have now though is phone are no longer made out of a durable plastic so putting a slider of sorts on a metal/glass phone makes it a little more risky to go without a case to allow it to move without adding a stupid level of bulk (The Verizon Moto Droid with that plastic case crap they made for it. Yuck).

Really though that Oppo looks sick as hell, but the curved edges ruin it.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

EdEddnEddy posted:

Everyone says this about Slider Keyboards, kickstands, etc but outside of someone bending/seriously mishandling one I have never seen one broken or broken any of my slider phones that were all made of plastic all those years ago. My Touch Pro 2 and HTC Arrive both still slide and work flawlessly.

All those were manually deployed though, right? According to the article I just read, Oppo's camera is deployed by motor. In the attached video it showed it automatically deploying when the camera app opens. Does it still work with third party camera apps? Will it deploy slower as the phone software starts running worse? Could a bad software update prevent it from deploying entirely?

On the other hand, maybe it's fully deployable manually. If so, that's cool.

I actually think the whole thing is really neat, and I'm glad to see phone makers innovating things like this.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

incogneato posted:

I actually think the whole thing is really neat, and I'm glad to see phone makers innovating things like this.

Lol "And given that there’s no fingerprint sensor on the Oppo Find X, you’re going to be using the selfie camera for face ID a lot during the course of a regular day."

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

No, and I'm dying to know the specifics. Is it like a whatsapp thing where its just tied to a single device? Does the phone need to be on?

Yes. Just like WhatsApp and several others, the web interface is just a remote control for the phone. The phone is the one still sending and receiving the messages so it has to be on and connected.

Otherwise, Android/Google would need to link to something at the carrier level.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The job of the hardware is to get out of the way of the user experience. That Oppo does the exact opposite on several levels.

I mean, good in on experimenting, but some stuff shouldn't leave the prototype phase.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Me reading Messages on the web news: "Google Voice supremacy!"

(nevermind all the intermittent weird bugs)

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm curious how to do this, it's my biggest annoyance with a phone after 8 months or so.

Tougher to do with curved-edge screens, but I usually throw on a glass screen protector after 6 months to get a fresh oil-resistant coating. I have no intention of it protecting the phone with it; it was just the easiest path to having a fingerprint-resistant surface again.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

Tougher to do with curved-edge screens, but I usually throw on a glass screen protector after 6 months to get a fresh oil-resistant coating. I have no intention of it protecting the phone with it; it was just the easiest path to having a fingerprint-resistant surface again.

Glass screen protectors for "2.5d" or curved displays or whatever are universally poo poo. If anyone has found a Pixel 2 XL tempered glass protector that's not poo poo, pleeeeeease please tell me

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

Glass screen protectors for "2.5d" or curved displays or whatever are universally poo poo. If anyone has found a Pixel 2 XL tempered glass protector that's not poo poo, pleeeeeease please tell me

There's always the option of the ones with a UV lamp in the box which you use to cure the LOCA glue

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078JR1HTN

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

kitten smoothie posted:

What brand of coating do you use?

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

DrThief posted:

Well my Nexus 5X is acting up again, with random slowdowns and occasional reboots. It has already been about 18 months since the last bootloop and i'm afraid it hasn't got long to live, so i'm deciding on a new phone.

I'm between the Oneplus 6 and the Pixel 2 XL, leaning towards the Oneplus, but this thread seems to hate the company? The Oneplus 6 is getting rave reviews on the internet, and most tech blogs/sites/reviewers seem to like it. Is the pixel really worth the 200€ premium or is a there a specific reason to avoid the oneplus?

People in this thread seem to have long memories for OnePlus' fuckups and short memories for everyone else's.

The OnePlus 6 is getting great reviews because it's a great phone. It's not the best phone for everyone (how could it be?), but for a specific set of people it's basically perfect.
If you live in the United States and want a top-of-the-line chipset, a headphone jack, no bloatware, and plenty of support for rooting/custom ROMs/etc. (however unnecessary that may be these days) the OnePlus 6 is basically your best and only option.

The Pixel 2 XL is also a great phone, and would be preferable if you want a better camera, don't care about the lack of a 3.5mm jack, and are buying a new one to avoid the bevy of issues the first line of production has.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tykero posted:

plenty of support for rooting

Lol it definitely supports rooting, all right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Specific set of people is a strange way of saying suckers