Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you don't need to poison him, old demon king's easy period

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

People save Old Demon King for last? I'm doing my first playthrough and did him when I first found the smoldering lake, he wasn't that hard.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Old Demon King was one of the few times I genuinely felt like I was fighting the camera rather than the boss

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
storyteller's staff weapon art then benny hill around for a couple min

this strat also works on gael

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
He kills speedruns so he's left til last where endgame set up can make up for any rng shenanigans.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
The entire area is a wash. Its like anything having to do with Izalith is just bad. The layout is boring, the catacombs within feel like DMs first dungeon. Rooms of lava you in all likely hood die on for items.

It just all sucks. An its filled with Ghru instead of anything that makes sense.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

For_Great_Justice posted:

The entire area is a wash. Its like anything having to do with Izalith is just bad. The layout is boring, the catacombs within feel like DMs first dungeon. Rooms of lava you in all likely hood die on for items.

It just all sucks. An its filled with Ghru instead of anything that makes sense.

Lost Izalith/Demon Ruins in DS1 is the land of copy/paste - a nightmarescape of unfun, rushed design with some egrerously lazy/illogical monster placement.

Like so many things in DS3, the design of smouldering lake is a clear nod back to DS1.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The dragon butts are one of the strangest things in the original Dark Souls, really. They make no contextual sense in Izalith, but if the area were just lazily slapped together it'd make much more sense for them to be Taurus or Capra Demons or those vaccuum sponge guys from deeper inside, all of which would actually "belong". There's only one other dragon butt in the game you can engage with, and it's that weirdo leftover one in Painted World that bars your way unless you explicitly do a jump attack, which opens the strangest (and one of the more dubiously useful) shortcuts in the game. It doesn't really fit in there, either, beyond some generic Through the Looking Glass vibe, which isn't actually what the Painted World is about (it's a dumping ground for things that threaten Anor Londo, not a wacky chaos realm).

They're so weird that they're one of the cases where I'm inclined to listen to fan theories, because it seems deranged that their (really excessive) placement there could even happen otherwise.

Baku fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 19, 2018

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 199 days!

Soul Reaver posted:

Lost Izalith/Demon Ruins in DS1 is the land of copy/paste - a nightmarescape of unfun, rushed design with some egrerously lazy/illogical monster placement.

Like so many things in DS3, the design of smouldering lake is a clear nod back to DS1.

I like how they just threw some crabs in there.

And then for some reason the greatest siege engine the world has ever known is there and it dislikes you specifically.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Soul Reaver posted:

I'm not giving them the credit for a nod to ds1 Izalith like that. Little too meta for them.

It feels like it was ment to connect to another area. It feels like you walk in but from rear to front. You run in a straight line an theres the boss gate.

"Ok we got fire, lava, more fire what do we need?"

"Crabs an an auto turret."

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
It is my understanding that the area was meant to have much more, and the worm was meant to be its own boss (but better than the current version, possibly not even a worm but something like gundyr or pontiff), but, like the version in DS1, rushed to meet the release date

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

For_Great_Justice posted:

Carthas is one of my favorite levels. Wolnir is my favorite boss design.

How dare you.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Not carthus the lake an the Old Deamon king.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

All the demon corpses lying around are a hilarious wink to the mess that was Lost Izalith and the Demon Ruins. So as much as I might rag on the rest of the game I can't be mad at Smouldering Lake.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Smouldering Lake is the worst non-DLC area, as well as the one and only time I agree when people accuse DS3 of being nothing but lovely level design and cheap DS1 nostalgia.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Smouldering Lake is the worst non-DLC area, as well as the one and only time I agree when people accuse DS3 of being nothing but lovely level design and cheap DS1 nostalgia.

When you say the Worst NON-DLC area are you suggesting that one of the DLC areas is worse?

Is it the loving swamp in DLC2 cause gently caress that swamp.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Two questions:

- Should I buy Dark Souls Remastered if I own Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (I don't care about online multiplayer)?

- Is the Dark Souls 3 DLC worth buying (and if so will it be on sale during Summer Sale)?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 19, 2018

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Ds3 dlc is worth it.

Remastered you might as well. Its what ppl will play on for anything ds1 related.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gridlocked posted:

When you say the Worst NON-DLC area are you suggesting that one of the DLC areas is worse?

Is it the loving swamp in DLC2 cause gently caress that swamp.

Dreg Heap is worse, but it's kind of an apples to oranges situation.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Also does 60fps still crash Prepare to Die Edition?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Farron Swamp is the worst because there's no Rusted Iron Ring to speed up having to wade through all that bullshit.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Nah. I'm running it with DSfix and it works fine. Some odd screen tearing at times, but nothing more.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Farron Swamp is really slow, yeah. It's not particularly challenging, but you're just forced to slog and it becomes draining.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Dan Didio posted:

Farron Swamp is really slow, yeah. It's not particularly challenging, but you're just forced to slog and it becomes draining.

The only really deadly things about the swamp are the Ghu Shamans, or in the forest the loving crabs.

Seriously Crabs are easily the worst enemy for me on everything that isn't spell casting their face off.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I have very little trouble with crabs because I spent so long when the game came out fighting them just to see what they dropped (generally, not much) are the shamans the really big Ghru, or the Ghru that spit poison at you, because the big guys are really weak to physical damage for something so massive, which I always thought was weird.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The worst ones are the leaping Ghrus. If you don't rush and stunlock them they can just chain leap forever and they have lovely hitboxes when they do a grab attack. They're my most hated enemy with only the DLC2 angels (prepatch) that would shoot you even with hidden body.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Dan Didio posted:

I have very little trouble with crabs because I spent so long when the game came out fighting them just to see what they dropped (generally, not much) are the shamans the really big Ghru, or the Ghru that spit poison at you, because the big guys are really weak to physical damage for something so massive, which I always thought was weird.

The giant guys with the trees that summon the tracking spirits

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Two questions:

- Should I buy Dark Souls Remastered if I own Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (I don't care about online multiplayer)?

- Is the Dark Souls 3 DLC worth buying (and if so will it be on sale during Summer Sale)?

Remastered has a few changes that are nice, like the added bonfires. DSfix worked fine for me (in April) and didn't have the strange stutter that remastered has. Considering I paid $10 for DS1 originally, I can't complain about giving them more money, though the stutters really annoy the poo poo out of me and I may go back to the original if I do another play through.

And the DS3 DLC is well worth it. The first one seems a bit short, the second is quite large. Both add lots of weapons and armor.

Phuzun fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 19, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

If you don't care about online then what you're really getting in the Remaster is native 60fps (no more having to keybind a 30fps toggle to be able to jump properly and slide down ladders) and some QOL features like being able to rebind jump to L3, using multiple items at once and quick-select Estus from DS3.

For me (I don't care about online either) that was absolutely worth it, but ymmw :v:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've never experienced it crashing at 60 FPS. It does make your jumps shorter and make you sometimes slide through the world if you slide down a ladder or go down a fast elevator, but I found that it was actually totally playable at 60 FPS if you just toggle it off before doing those things, since they aren't very frequent

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Shortest Path posted:

It's the hardest Souls boss hands down, imo. Fume Knight might be a bit close.

Still, fume has but one health bar.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Still, fume has but one health bar.
As much as people complain about the three phases of the Friede fight, only the third phase is really a hard boss though. It's annoying having to go through the first two, but it's not like it's particularly hard.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

And Tyler Too! posted:

Farron Swamp is the worst because there's no Rusted Iron Ring to speed up having to wade through all that bullshit.

Dagger weapon art. Swoop through, grab the titanite/scroll/coal/bone shart, run past all the grus, boom done.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Nah. I'm running it with DSfix and it works fine. Some odd screen tearing at times, but nothing more.

force on vsync in your video driver's control panel to fix the tearing.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Old school question but, how do I beat the gargoyles bosses in Dark Souls without summoning help? It seems I always get the first gargoyle down to one fifth health, and then the next one comes along and kills me due to fire either covering me or covering up the other gargoyles attacks.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Old school question but, how do I beat the gargoyles bosses in Dark Souls without summoning help? It seems I always get the first gargoyle down to one fifth health, and then the next one comes along and kills me due to fire either covering me or covering up the other gargoyles attacks.

Upgrade your weapon to +5 and be really aggressive. If you cut off the tail of the first one, it basically can't do anything to do you from behind so you can just go ham and kill it before the second one gets close enough.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

If you have any Gold Pine Resin left, the gargs are super weak to lightning damage too. You can chump them up real good with that on a decent weapon. Once the second one gets into play, try to bait out the fire and use the roof angles for protection - the fire attack takes a ton of time, so if you are safe it gives you a good chance to finish the other one off.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

90% of darksouls bosses can be summed up as "stab it in the butt, abuse bleed damage"

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Upgraded to +4 after "grinding" for 10 minutes. Destroyed both of them. Later ran into the Moonlight Butterfly. Destroyed it too.

It's crazy how much easier this game is compared to my first playthrough where I got stuck on bosses for hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

And Tyler Too! posted:

90% of darksouls bosses can be summed up as "stab it in the butt, abuse bleed damage"

50% of bosses are immune to bleed. And a bunch of the rest are impractical to bleed before they're dead anyway, unless you didn't upgrade your weapon at all and are relying 100% on bleed damage. Pinwheel can be bled, for example, but you'll almost certainly kill him first.