Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twistedmentat posted:

Its weird seeing Saturn Girl in the show as she's currently teamed up with Rorschach in Doomsday Clock.

that is a hell of a pairing :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Huh, pretty much called the reuse of the Smallville "split the baddie from the goodie" plot. And they even used a black stone again.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Chokes McGee posted:

that is a hell of a pairing :stare:

They were both in Arkham. Batman threw Rorschach in after Bruce met him. Oh its not Kovacs Rorschach.

They're helping and elderly Johnny Thunder find Allen Scott's Green Latern battery.

Doomsday Clock is insane and kinda good.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Jeremy Jordan is being moved to a recurring status instead of a series regular.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I'm really glad cult guy got his face lasered off by the witches three. Very satisfying.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Awww, he's one of the best parts of the show. I love his little brother chemistry with Alex.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They kind of wrote him into a corner this season where he has to actually do something with his abilities.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
For all we know it was his request to step back. We got in an uproar over Wally in the Flash and Legends threads and he put out a statement that pulling back was his idea.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Oh I'm sure this was Jordan's decision, but it's still a bummer.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, yeah, I really like his rapor with Alex but on the other hand that's kind of all he has left besides the Jimmy/Guardian stuff. Winn's relationship with Kara has pretty much completely grown apart and he's just kind of the guy in the DEO who doesn't have to wear a uniform for some reason and used to be friends with Supergirl. Obviously the Guardian stuff was partially to give him more to do but the show has backed off that in the second half of the season. So Winn's just there to be fun with Alex from time to time. Which I guess he can do in a recurring role.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I still want my Wynn/Cisco/whoever the tech guy on Arrow is team-up episode.

And a Joe/J'onn/Diggle episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ruddiger posted:

Same. Although not Curtis. Curtis is bad. Felicity totally though. The crossover episodes have shown that Felicity is actually pretty good when paired off with Literally Anyone Other Than Oliver.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Curtis is lame, and his costume is wack,

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

ruddiger posted:

The Winn actor is going to recurring role next season and Brainy is going to be a regular.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I look forward to seeing him become a better character on the Waverider.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Bye Martian Dadhunter :smith:

And hey, a Superman reference.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
poo poo, this episode's moving fast. What the hell are they gonna do for the last 15 minutes?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Kara should've Superman the Movie time travelled.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

howe_sam posted:

Kara should've Superman the Movie time travelled.

This also makes three out of four (five?) Arrowverse shows to use retcon time travel to solve the main crisis in their finales this year.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I'm going to have to rewatch that once it hits the CW app because a really incompetent pizza delivery guy interrupted me at several points in the episode. That said, the ending, are they setting up a weird spin on Red Son? Or was it a nod to how the New 52 Supergirl crash landed in Russia?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Meanwhile, tiny Superman saves tiny Madagascar :v:

"Sorry Alex, I can't let you quit so you can live your life. Now I can quit and do that because I'm the boss." I bet the first thing Director Danvers does is reverse the no lethal weapons policy. In fact, she will demand even more lethal weapons. Grenade launchers are now standard issue :911:

I doubt it'll happen, but it would be great to have an ep set in the future with Winn and Mon-El.

Was the :ussr: Kara some comic reference? I know there is a what if comic for Superman where he lands in the USSR but I have no idea if it has Supergirl.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Meanwhile, tiny Superman saves tiny Madagascar :v:

"Sorry Alex, I can't let you quit so you can live your life. Now I can quit and do that because I'm the boss." I bet the first thing Director Danvers does is reverse the no lethal weapons policy. In fact, she will demand even more lethal weapons. Grenade launchers are now standard issue :911:

I doubt it'll happen, but it would be great to have an ep set in the future with Winn and Mon-El.

Was the :ussr: Kara some comic reference? I know there is a what if comic for Superman where he lands in the USSR but I have no idea if it has Supergirl.

Yeah holy crap that was amazingly dickish of J'onn.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
The way this show is directed, the Supergirl version of Red Son will involve a lot of long monologues about russian hackers damaging our democracy and the alien female president losing to a xenophobe because Soviet Supergirl hacked her emails.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

howe_sam posted:

Bye Martian Dadhunter :smith:

And hey, a Superman reference.

So sad to see the Martian Dadhunter go :smith:

Also hurray Superman reference

Also see why Winn got bumped down to recurring cast now.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Given that just before the end Kara was saying touchy-feely stuff about everything that made her Supergirl being on Earth and the people around her, they are definitely doing Red Son.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
So what’s the money on them announcing episode 1 is titled “Red Daughter” at Comic-con?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
HhAHAHaha time travel what

All in all, I've been pretty satisfied with this season. But, it did kinda feel like they'd blown their load many episodes before they'd intended to and these last handful of storylines were just a series of "well, now this might as well happen!" vignettes that didn't have a ton of weight to them. Nothing was...wrong?...with them on a conceptual level I guess? but there was just way too much of the show introducing completely new information that was built from pretty much nothing that we'd seen so far, and the characters have to find a way to deal with this brand new issue, and then they do, and then we move on to the next completely spontaneous loredump we'd receive, and so on so forth.

I will say there were some fairly decent character arcs throughout those episodes but, unfortunately, Kara the protagonist's character arc kinda went flying around and around in a circle this season. Here's hoping that confronting...communism?...next season will give her some more solid development?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It's really funny that Kara was all "it was wrong to kill Reign!" so instead she... consigns her to oblivion? Or something? Kind of unclear what was going on there. But "I don't kill" is always an incredibly annoying line in the sand for superhero shows to draw.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The Legion of Superheroes would be perfect as a foil to the Time Idiots.

Gluten Freeman posted:

It's really funny that Kara was all "it was wrong to kill Reign!" so instead she... consigns her to oblivion? Or something? Kind of unclear what was going on there. But "I don't kill" is always an incredibly annoying line in the sand for superhero shows to draw.

I don't mind the "I don't kill" thing in itself, but these things have a habit of doing copouts where the heroes only adhere to the letter of the promise but not the spirit. Doesn't Superman just stash powerful villains in the Phantom Zone, which may as well count as dead for all intents and purposes? And let's not get started on Barry Allen.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Gluten Freeman posted:

"I don't kill" is a perfectly fine position for the literal god amongst men to take imo.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Yeah but Reign is basically dead. I know "greatest prison imaginable blah blah blah trapped inside the mind palace or whatever" but she's dead.

This was definitely a season of ups and downs. There was a lot of stuff I loved, everything with the Martian Dadhunter and J'onn, Alex getting to do some cool stuff, the initial introduction of Reign and the Worldkillers (especially the fight where Reign just beat the poo poo out of Supergirl), and basically everything with the Legion. But on the flip side you had the seemingly NEVERENDING changes in the main villain, weird pacing issues that robbed a lot of the drama and tension, the bizarre re-introduction of Argo City, and Morgan Edge just kind of disappearing without having a real character arc besides "this dude seems evil, yeah he is but just in a Republican way, not a super demonic evil way".

I am pretty excited for next season though. Russian Supergirl, J'onn finding his humanity (maybe as a detective like in the comics?), Alex as director of the DEO, and Brainy on the main team are all super interesting to me. I really hope Lena isn't for real evil, though.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

This also makes three out of four (five?) Arrowverse shows to use retcon time travel to solve the main crisis in their finales this year.

I mean at least with Legends that's kinda to be expected since they are time travelers.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Gluten Freeman posted:

Her problem was that she had to punch reign into the glowing vortex, that she was previously unharmed by, to kill her. Once it was Sam's turn to punch Reign into some....stagnant Kryptonian demon...water fountain.... she was cool with it because she wasn't the one killing banishing Reign.

That whole finale was a bit of a mess.

"Find me a Time Distortion right above the Earth"
"What? You can't breathe in space!"
"With this Ring I can!"
"What? Since when?!? We don't even know how the time distortions work!!"
"Just find me one. Unlike when Mon-El traveled to the past and existed in two places at once I'll just take over my own body five minutes in the past"
"What?!?!?"
*flies into an orbital time distortion*

"Kara, I know I said I loved you and have to be with you, but my place is 1,000 years in the future fighting a robot overlord that didn't exist the last time I was there because the timeline has completely changed and It's no longer the future I knew."
"Okay, I understand you changing your mind for the third time on whether you want to be with me."

"J'onn, it's time for me to seek me own path in life. I have to quit to see what I can be and who I really am."
"Hahaha, gently caress you I called dibs on the soul searching journey bitch, you've got my job now. PEACE."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The problem with the whole "killing Reign" thing is that is she even alive?

Edit: Also we're not going to get Mon-El and Win's adventures in the future subplot as Chris Wood (Mon-El) is off the show.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 20, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

The problem with the whole "killing Reign" thing is that is she even alive?

Edit: Also we're not going to get Mon-El and Win's adventures in the future subplot as Chris Wood (Mon-El) is off the show.

Congrats Mon-El haters. You got your wish. I hope you enjoy what you've done to the show now :mad:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

VictorianQueerLit posted:

"J'onn, it's time for me to seek me own path in life. I have to quit to see what I can be and who I really am."
"Hahaha, gently caress you I called dibs on the soul searching journey bitch, you've got my job now. PEACE."

This was my favourite bit. J'onn you jerk!!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

J33uk posted:

So what’s the money on them announcing episode 1 is titled “Red Daughter” at Comic-con?

Man Kara getting a Red Lantern ring like the comics would be amazing.

Alex's talk with Lana seemed to be setting Sam up for death and adoption of Ruby, but nope.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Just noticed the new thread title earlier today.

nice

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Seriously, how has Brainy never seen Star Wars? If I'm never gonna get my Cisco/Winn crossover now, they drat well better make it up with a Cisco/Brainy one next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Argue posted:

I don't mind the "I don't kill" thing in itself, but these things have a habit of doing copouts where the heroes only adhere to the letter of the promise but not the spirit. Doesn't Superman just stash powerful villains in the Phantom Zone, which may as well count as dead for all intents and purposes? And let's not get started on Barry Allen.

Previously on Supergirl

Argo Council: “Why do you need the haranel?”
Kara: “So I can murder Reign. Gimmie gimmie gimmie.”
Kara’s mom: “And save your friend?”
Kara: “That too.”

Reign: “Aaaaargh!”
Kara: “Lol! Hey, Mon’El, did you see that? She turned to dust, just like your mom!”

Kryptonian Witch: “Reign lives and will destroy your world!”
Kara: “Fake news.”

And now, on Supergirl

Kara: “Look guys, I never kill”