Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
finally caught up with The Wandering Inn, and I'm surprisingly satisfied to learn that (4.44) Ryoka was 100% correct about Magnolia being one of the greatest dangers to the entire setting. Her "saving the world" is wholly identical to conquering the world, and that's not even getting into the fact that her excessively narrow definition of what a person is will lead to hitler-level extermination

that said, there probably is a major dissonance in how all the readers view the antinium and how the non-offworlders view the antinium, namely that Klbkch and the free antinium just happen to be the only ones that aren't hivemind Von Neumann probes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I just noticed that in Practical Guide (I just finished Book 2) there have been multiple references to this song that seems to somehow be familiar to everyone in Creation or something. The author has done a good job of having it be occasionally mentioned off-hand in such a way that, by the time you notice the pattern, it's kind of creepy.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

that said, there probably is a major dissonance in how all the readers view the antinium and how the non-offworlders view the antinium, namely that Klbkch and the free antinium just happen to be the only ones that aren't hivemind Von Neumann probes.

But we see members of other tribes and they too do have minds of their own. Antinium overall seem to be at this strange cross-section of real-world eusociality and fantasy hive-mind, so it would not be suprising for Innworlders to just see hivemind. Many people in real world do not understand eusociality still.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

To be honest, I feel kind of bad for Lone Swordsman. I feel like he was actually experiencing real character growth but was then the victim of Wandering Bard's manipulation, who pushed him over the edge.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

Ytlaya posted:

To be honest, I feel kind of bad for Lone Swordsman. I feel like he was actually experiencing real character growth but was then the victim of Wandering Bard's manipulation, who pushed him over the edge.

Very few people like the Wandering Bard. And the ones who do are the ones who don't know better.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Katreus posted:

Very few people like the Wandering Bard. And the ones who do are the ones who don't know better.

Has the story ever gotten any more explicit about what her goal is? I remember her being a quasi-immortal body jumper who uses her immense knowledge of stories to manipulate everyone around her, but I genuinely can't recall ever getting more details on what her endgame was.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

Has the story ever gotten any more explicit about what her goal is? I remember her being a quasi-immortal body jumper who uses her immense knowledge of stories to manipulate everyone around her, but I genuinely can't recall ever getting more details on what her endgame was.

I think she’s the “marked card” for the Gods Above in the great game.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

navyjack posted:

I think she’s the “marked card” for the Gods Above in the great game.

Yeah - the Tyrant describes her pretty well in the Best Anaxares Chapter. So does Anaxares in the second best, if with more flowery language and less specifics. Her job is to make sure the cycle of (Good-skewed) stories keeps on cycling. Her CURRENT priority is to hammer down Praes in general and Black in particular, because they're the nail sticking up at the moment.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Okay, I got fully caught up with Mother of Learning and man that was a super-duper fun read. It had some writing and at times serious pacing issues throughout, but I genuinely enjoyed a good 70-80% of it. (I thought it was a little slow and meandering at the start, picked up when Zorian started going on road trips, and started to slow down/wander again once he and Zach started doing their marker treasure hunt.)

Some general thoughts:

Even with all of the advantages that time loops buy him, his fast progress feels weird to me; by all accounts he's at a point where he can basically flatten the vast majority of mages who don't specifically prepare to fight him, and is at the upper end of mastery in the stuff he's good at. I could believe that if he'd had 20-30 years to work, but I think he's been in the loop for 6-8 years total? Anyway, even given how much of his progress is from synergies, continual refinement, and absurdly expensive/dangerous stuff that you couldn't do in the real world, it feels a tad strange.

I really don't buy that red robe left the simulation already. It's tough to theorycraft since we just plain don't know that much about him, but my kneejerk assumption is that he couldn't gather the artifacts together himself, so he's waiting for Zorian and company to do it. I feel dumb speculating about his identity, since we plain don't know much, but in descending order of likelihood:

a) Red robe is Zach, the times we saw them together he was using a body double/flunkie/magical BS of some kind. I hate this theory, I think it'd be a dumb and frustrating payoff to the whole conspiracy, but it's also a lot easier for me to swallow than Zach meeting someone (other than lichdad) who, within 30 days, assembled enough information about the time loop to hack in a soul marker and screw with his brain. It also makes sense given what we know about his personality (tough, brash, has trouble with subtle magic); I could see him getting to a point where he genuinely couldn't figure out how to find and acquire the markers, so he looped (heh) Zorian in for help.

b) It's... crap, I forget his name. Fortran? Fortov? Zorian's jerk brother who isn't Damian. I mainly like this because the story has spent lavish amounts of time building Zorian's relationship with all of his relatives and realizing that they aren't so bad, except for F-brother.

c) Xvim (spelling?) the grumpy mentor guy. Master of mind and soul magic? Check. Obvious authority figure for Zach to tell his troubles to? Check. Only problem there is that I don't think he would've been caught off-guard by a mage pulling a gun, and I genuinely can't see him needing help to find the markers.

d) Someone obviously innocent who we never had a reason to suspect. Structurally the obvious choice here would be a classmate that Zorian regularly befriends, but he's crawled every which way through most of their minds and would've noticed if any of them were a powerful psychic. Maybe the weird house slytherine girl who used to take telepathy lessons from him.

e) The girl who wasn't Naolu that Zach was obviously giving time loop tips to in the first chapters, then never mentioned again. We know he was terrible about subtlety and wasn't above using his time traveler story to romance girls, so it seems like an obvious blind spot.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding Zorian's progression, my assumption is that a lot of magic isn't particularly hard provided you have a strong enough basis and access to information on how to cast the spell in question. As a result, Zorian/Zach's ability to acquire a ton of spells is a Big Deal since it's something almost no one else has access to. Currently, one of the biggest reasons Zorian can do so well in combat against actual battle mages is the bullshit he's come up with stemming from his simulacrums, which is a spell the vast majority of mages don't have access to. There's also the fact that Zorian's mind magic and interaction with the aranea is a really huge thing and gives him an ability that most mages just have zero defense against (short of mind blank). That was largely just luck that he managed to encounter the aranea in the first place. Otherwise, his ability to just directly fight himself, without his mind magic, doesn't seem to be as high as your average battle mage, much less folks like priest dude (forget his name).

All this being said, Zorian's skill with golems (or stuff like his ability to deal with really advanced wards) seems a little weird to me, since that appears to require a lot of skill/practice and he's capable of some pretty ridiculous stuff now despite only having the amount of practice that you'd expect of an adult in their 30s or so (accounting for him being able to spend more time practicing).

edit: I think my favorite part of the series is probably the way Zorian's expectations - that, at the beginning, more or less match those of your average reader insert web novel character - are up-ended. He repeatedly ends up learning that his angsty teen impression of various people was totally off-base, or that various relationship issues could be dealt with through actually communicating with the people in question. It seems to be a pretty big theme, seeing as it applies to at least half of the major supporting characters.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 18, 2018

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Prac Guide:

This was all a play by the Grey Pilgrim - I reckon he got her. Now the question is, how does she wiggle out of the narrative?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

tithin posted:

Prac Guide:

This was all a play by the Grey Pilgrim - I reckon he got her. Now the question is, how does she wiggle out of the narrative?

On the most basic level, you don't always die to be redeemed, it's just super common in the type of story. If survival was simply the goal, then it's pretty doable and the Grey Pilgrim probably doesn't actually care if she manages that or not. The problem is that, to survive, she'd have to actually be Good.

The problem is that if she turns Good, then she essentially gets caught in the very narrative she is trying very hard to stop. It's basically the same as taking the Hashmallim's offer, just later. She goes good it's straight back to the whole "Callow is invaded by Praes, Callow throws Praes out with the power of Good/Good nations/etc, Callow is invaded by Praes again (or Procer! Because they're dicks!) narrative. Nothing changes.

At the moment it's probably best to say this was a draw or maybe a slight win for Cat. Pilgrim gets the chance to make Callow Good again by removing the Villain in charge of it--one way or another--and Cat gets what she needs in the here and now. Considering Cat probably loses an actual drag out fight right now, at great cost of life, this works out just fine.

If we look at Catherine's own personal story, she always has a threat like the Grey Pilgrim's hanging over her. Something to thwart her from her ultimate goal, if not necessarily kill her. Winter and even her own Name have both served this role in the past, along with the promise of being the next Queen of Blades in the first Liesse arc. Her way of winning has always been pretty similar though--self-mutilation. Somehow, she is going to hurt herself terribly to get out of the Pilgrim's scheme, which I'm pretty sure is hilariously both a Praesi way of doing things, as well as a Callowan one. I'm specifically reminded of the culmination of Akua's schemes and the Lone Swordsman's fuckery where she died and made Good resurrect her. It had a similar issue of an "impossible" victory due to the Rule of Three and her own crippled Name.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

I really don't buy that red robe left the simulation already. It's tough to theorycraft since we just plain don't know that much about him, but my kneejerk assumption is that he couldn't gather the artifacts together himself, so he's waiting for Zorian and company to do it. I feel dumb speculating about his identity, since we plain don't know much, but in descending order of likelihood:

a) Red robe is Zach, the times we saw them together he was using a body double/flunkie/magical BS of some kind. I hate this theory, I think it'd be a dumb and frustrating payoff to the whole conspiracy, but it's also a lot easier for me to swallow than Zach meeting someone (other than lichdad) who, within 30 days, assembled enough information about the time loop to hack in a soul marker and screw with his brain. It also makes sense given what we know about his personality (tough, brash, has trouble with subtle magic); I could see him getting to a point where he genuinely couldn't figure out how to find and acquire the markers, so he looped (heh) Zorian in for help.

That could work I suppose. That said, here's my theory!

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Omi no Kami posted:

a) Red robe is Zach, the times we saw them together he was using a body double/flunkie/magical BS of some kind.

Best idea I've heard is that Red Robe is a Zach simulacrum who decided he'd rather stick around. An awful lot of attention has been given to explaining the mechanics of simulacrums - far more than is necessary for the narrative - like how time dilation and the physical aspect of souls made it easy to figure out the time loop.

Edit: hah, beaten by the man himself

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Megazver posted:

That could work I suppose. That said, here's my theory!

Ooh, hmm... I like your theory more than mine, and it definitely has more evidence backing it up! I hadn't considered how unnecessary all the information dumps about simulacrum mechanics are, which is a red flag in retrospect. This is reaching, but maybe the explanation for the simulacrum persisting between loops is that lich guy whose name I forget hacked its soul to give it a jury-rigged version of the marker?

One of the big pieces of evidence I could see going against it is the fact that Zach apparently sucked at soul magic when he and Zorian first started getting lessons. If he learned how to make a simulacrum, got memory hijacked by one, and lost those skills, his soul should've still shown evidence of the practice. (I think? I forget the specifics, but I'm pretty sure that soul magic is like shaping, where it's more about practice than knowledge.) The other option would be that he remembers his training but lied about it, which doesn't really make sense, since if he was explicitly misleading Zorian I think it's easier to just skip the middleman and assume he personally is the conspirator.

This is going back to the very beginning of the story, where I'm admittedly fuzzy, but I think it's also useful to think about the mechanics of the marker: as far as I know the story has never been explicit about what happened to Zorian beyond the theory he ultimately settles on, to wit "The lich tried to mutilate both of your souls, and the attack misfired in a weird way that confused the system". That makes zero sense to me; we know the attack resulted in his having a tiny bit of Zach's soul, but that was eventually absorbed into his own and should've stopped working. The marker he carries is absurdly complex and functional, which might point to the lich having learned the marker spell that go-around and using it in the battle for fun.

Lastly, this is jumping completely off the logic train and into wild mass-guessing territory, but Zorian is always unconscious for six hours after the loop starts, right? That's explained as his being asleep, but is it possible that he is the simulacrum/otherwise artificial human? This would require Zach to have a secret cache of soul and mind magic that he never displays, which seems unlikely, but Zorian's personality and strengths as a wizard are such a strategically useful synergy to Zach's that I can't help but be a bit suspicious that he's more of a tool than he realizes.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Hey, what did Herschel reveal to Trissiny in the most recent TGAB to make her decide that Basra has to go RIGHT FUCKEN NOW? And what does it have to do with their adventure in the tower? It’s presented as something that should be obvious to us, but I don’t get it.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Regarding Zorian's progression, my assumption is that a lot of magic isn't particularly hard provided you have a strong enough basis and access to information on how to cast the spell in question. As a result, Zorian/Zach's ability to acquire a ton of spells is a Big Deal since it's something almost no one else has access to. Currently, one of the biggest reasons Zorian can do so well in combat against actual battle mages is the bullshit he's come up with stemming from his simulacrums, which is a spell the vast majority of mages don't have access to. There's also the fact that Zorian's mind magic and interaction with the aranea is a really huge thing and gives him an ability that most mages just have zero defense against (short of mind blank). That was largely just luck that he managed to encounter the aranea in the first place. Otherwise, his ability to just directly fight himself, without his mind magic, doesn't seem to be as high as your average battle mage, much less folks like priest dude (forget his name).

All this being said, Zorian's skill with golems (or stuff like his ability to deal with really advanced wards) seems a little weird to me, since that appears to require a lot of skill/practice and he's capable of some pretty ridiculous stuff now despite only having the amount of practice that you'd expect of an adult in their 30s or so (accounting for him being able to spend more time practicing).

edit: I think my favorite part of the series is probably the way Zorian's expectations - that, at the beginning, more or less match those of your average reader insert web novel character - are up-ended. He repeatedly ends up learning that his angsty teen impression of various people was totally off-base, or that various relationship issues could be dealt with through actually communicating with the people in question. It seems to be a pretty big theme, seeing as it applies to at least half of the major supporting characters.

It's fun that the big thing that tripped Zorian was his undeveloped empathic ability which allowed him to get a quick and 'accurate' surface impression of people that totally misled him about their true personalities, yet when he started to develop and control his empathic ability is when he actually started to interact and understand people on a deeper level.

Even if he does occasionally relapses into making snap judgements and gives us another episode of the 'Zorian is wrong about everything' show.

SITB fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 18, 2018

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

navyjack posted:

Hey, what did Herschel reveal to Trissiny in the most recent TGAB to make her decide that Basra has to go RIGHT FUCKEN NOW? And what does it have to do with their adventure in the tower? It’s presented as something that should be obvious to us, but I don’t get it.

I think he gave her the details on Syrinx's relationship with Jenell Covrin.

I thought the whole dressing down that Sweet gave them in this chapter was INCREDIBLY forced, I was eye-rolling my way through the whole thing. Like, there were plenty of actual issues with the way they handled the Calderaas issue, relating to abuse of power and a "Might Makes Right" mentality, but instead Darling starts bitching about how they caused political drama in the Thieve's Guild? Who gives a gently caress. And the Tar'Naris slave trade angle is absurd - are they supposed to run everything by the Thieve's Guild upper brass so that they don't accidentally interfere with a top secret operation? Give me a break.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

navyjack posted:

Schwartz's lesson in the tower was that sometimes you gotta put down a rabid dog because reasoning (or anything else) won't work on it.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Omi no Kami posted:

Even with all of the advantages that time loops buy him, his fast progress feels weird to me; by all accounts he's at a point where he can basically flatten the vast majority of mages who don't specifically prepare to fight him, and is at the upper end of mastery in the stuff he's good at. I could believe that if he'd had 20-30 years to work, but I think he's been in the loop for 6-8 years total? Anyway, even given how much of his progress is from synergies, continual refinement, and absurdly expensive/dangerous stuff that you couldn't do in the real world, it feels a tad strange.
Eh Zorian doesn't seem particularly undefeatable or omniscient to me. I think the only character he explicitly mentions being able to best is like Tavien? Every other time he fights someone he only goes in after making all sorts of ludicrous preparations that would probably cost the GDP of a small country - and even then he doesn't always "win". Most of the big fight scenes in the story involve Zorian standing off to the side and letting other characters do all the heavy lifting - usually getting maimed if he does get involved. And beyond fighting his other abilities aren't super amazing either - I mean he's obviously good at magic, better than he has any right to be considering his age - but it is mentioned repeatedly in recent chapters that he is forced to throw around huge sums of money and outsource complex alchemy, warding, and other magical work to actual experts because he doesn't have the time to become an expert himself.
The mind magic is really the only thing he has that gives him an edge and makes other characters take him seriously.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I kind of agree but also think you're selling him a bit short. IIRC he gets Lichguy interested in buying his war golems and divination compasses, which is a pretty strong endorsement. So it's really mind magic + building magical constructs (in fact, I think it's mentioned repeatedly that spell formulae are a specialty for Zorian) that he seems to excel at.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 18, 2018

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Omi no Kami posted:

Lastly, this is jumping completely off the logic train and into wild mass-guessing territory, but Zorian is always unconscious for six hours after the loop starts, right? That's explained as his being asleep, but is it possible that he is the simulacrum/otherwise artificial human?

Yeah, this whole situation is pretty suspect: if for nothing more than "what happens in that time which Zorian doesn't see". And that's without going into the question of "why the gently caress does Zach start the loop at home?". How did he even get in the time loop without the mcguffins, and why doesn't he start it next to the time loop machine?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Silynt posted:

I think he gave her the details on Syrinx's relationship with Jenell Covrin.

Lone Goat posted:

Schwartz's lesson in the tower was that sometimes you gotta put down a rabid dog because reasoning (or anything else) won't work on it.

Ok, that makes sense then

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

sunken fleet posted:

The mind magic is really the only thing he has that gives him an edge and makes other characters take him seriously.

The combo of golems and simulacrums is also a huge thing that allowed him to semi-easily deal with trained battlemages during the airship fight. They basically allow him to send out ultra-durable expendable fighters. I imagine this is facilitated primarily by the combination of 1. Zorian having the simulacrum spell, which is apparently rare, and 2. Zorian having the funds to make these really high quality golems.

One thing that kinda bugs me regarding the latter, though, is that I'm not sure how plausible it is for Zorian to accrue as much money as he does. Even if he can speed-run picking up those mana crystals or whatever, he still shouldn't be able to get more than a company of adventurers capable of spending a few years exploring those areas could find, but it's described as if Zorian's become the Bill Gates of magic world.

This is unrelated, but one thing I remember confusing me in semi-recent Ward chapters is the part where Scapegoat heals Rain. How in the world did Scapegoat absorb Rain's "imminently fatal" injuries? I thought he has to experience the injuries for a few hours?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
It's also possible Zorian is just stealing poo poo, not just making money semi-legitimately. Between having future knowledge + being a master mind mage, I imagine there's lots of opportunities to get filthy rich really fast.

edit: wasn't it mentioned during some reset(s) that he was just raiding the safe houses and bases of the cult?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I had some fairly awful poo poo happen to me and ended up laid up in the hospital for several days, so I used that as an excuse to binge a bunch of Practical Guide. I'm several chapters into book 3 and I'm totally in love with it. Black and Cat's strategy of cheating with both hands and then cheating some more is wonderful. Anaxares and all the horrifying implications of his situation is also wonderful. I've really been missing out.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jun 18, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Shortest Path posted:

I had some fairly awful poo poo happen to me and ended up laid up in the hospital for several days, so I used that as an excuse to binge a bunch of Practical Guide. I'm several chapters into book 3 and I'm totally in love with it. Black and Cat's strategy of cheating with both hands and then cheating some more is wonderful. Anaxares and all the horrifying implications of his situation is also wonderful. I've really been missing out.

I'm at close to the same part; I just finished all of Book 2. Anaxares' chapter was funny. Helike's Tyrant sounds like a cool dude who knows how to have fun, and he needs to hang out with Heiress.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Shortest Path posted:

anaxares for world overlord

i also love that the populist communists are extremely solidly in the Evil basket, they insist on the Will Of The People over the divine law

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm not sure if it really makes sense to describe them as communists or even fully populists; it seems more like those people who control whether the stones explode you are effectively in control, even if they think they're reflecting the will of the people or whatever (and the will of people is only accepted if it involves people in government showing zero personal initiative). I guess it wouldn't really makes sense in the context of the story if an actual good/reasonable country existed (and I doubt the gods would allow such a thing anyways). Though I don't really know what sort of society the weird all-powerful sci-fi gnomes have. I really hope that comes up again, but it'd be weird to have it as just this one-off mention near the beginning of the series.

What exactly is up with Arcadia? From what I understand, the whole Good/Evil fate-based stuff doesn't apply there, since it isn't technically in "Creation," but I also don't think it's connected to the Gods Above/Below in the same way as the heavens/hells.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I'm not sure if it really makes sense to describe them as communists or even fully populists; it seems more like those people who control whether the stones explode you are effectively in control, even if they think they're reflecting the will of the people or whatever (and the will of people is only accepted if it involves people in government showing zero personal initiative). I guess it wouldn't really makes sense in the context of the story if an actual good/reasonable country existed (and I doubt the gods would allow such a thing anyways). Though I don't really know what sort of society the weird all-powerful sci-fi gnomes have. I really hope that comes up again, but it'd be weird to have it as just this one-off mention near the beginning of the series.

What exactly is up with Arcadia? From what I understand, the whole Good/Evil fate-based stuff doesn't apply there, since it isn't technically in "Creation," but I also don't think it's connected to the Gods Above/Below in the same way as the heavens/hells.

I theorize that the super-gnomes are a Good polity that have devised a particularly direct mechanism of communication - if they haven't, or aren't, they've transcended the central conflict in Creation, which is... weird. Their work to maintain a certain level of stasis overwhelmingly feels like an in-universe Good proposition.

For your other concerns, keep reading, I'd love to engage with you on the topic but can't. :v:

may bellerophon, queen of cities and first among the league, reign forever

edit:

quote:

“I am a mere vessel for the will of the people,” he babbled hurriedly, “unfit to pass judgement on my own. Long Live The Republic, Peerless Jewel Of Freedom.”

Eyes closed he waited for the pebble to shift and tear through his organs. There was a long moment of silence in the room, but nothing happened.

“drat,” the Penthesian said. “That would have been a five pointer.”

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 19, 2018

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Speaking of PracGuide, has Black ever gotten clearer on exactly what his play with Cat was? I remember him mentioning to the empress that he was trying to basically short-circuit the system to permanently stop heroes from spawning in Callow without actually weakening their control, but that's the last I can recall from his camp.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm a little confused about that whole conflict a while back between Black and the Empress. I remember that he was upset about her making concessions to the Truebloods, but now she's revealing that actually she's enacting some plan to drain the coffers of Heiress's mom and neuter the Truebloods in the process? Why didn't she just tell Black that before, since I think their previous meeting was also between just the two of them.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I theorize that the super-gnomes are a Good polity that have devised a particularly direct mechanism of communication - if they haven't, or aren't, they've transcended the central conflict in Creation, which is... weird. Their work to maintain a certain level of stasis overwhelmingly feels like an in-universe Good proposition.

I guess you can kind of say the same thing about folks like the Dead King, who basically hosed off and no longer has any sort of active conflict with other nations. Maybe as long as the whole Procer/Empire situation exists, that's sufficient to act as the main reflection of the conflict between Good and Evil (in the gods' eyes anyways).

Omi no Kami posted:

Speaking of PracGuide, has Black ever gotten clearer on exactly what his play with Cat was? I remember him mentioning to the empress that he was trying to basically short-circuit the system to permanently stop heroes from spawning in Callow without actually weakening their control, but that's the last I can recall from his camp.

I'm not even caught up, but I believe Black explicitly said that he just wanted to basically defy the Natural Order by using Cat to make Callow part of the Empire (which basically is a loophole that gets around the whole "it is fate-bound that the Empire can't militarily take over Callow and hold it for more than a couple decades" issue). He hated the way the Empire was always fated to be defeated by heroes/Good and by using Cat to make Callow part of the Empire (rather than trying to forcibly subdue them with the military) he could achieve that goal (by making there no longer be a clear delineation between the Empire and Callow).

He seemed pretty serious when he talked about that, so I never got the impression he had any grander goals, though it's entirely possible more stuff is mentioned later.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 19, 2018

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
reprehensible bullshit and trash

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Book 4 spoilers My guess is that he wanted to etch a new Role into creation, and destroying the superweapon has basically done that. All Villainous Names are bound to lose eventually, it's part of the Role of being a Villain, and Names are simply Roles wielded by mortals. I think the initial play was to get a strong Black Knight set up with little conflict facing her, have her raise a Squire, but force that Squire to not be able to become a White or Black Knight. That way the Squire would have to transition to a brand new Name that a Squire could become, hopefully etching a new Villainous Name that could win, and win for good. I think part of him destroying the superweapon was realizing that Cat was about to transition into a new Name, thereby foiling his plans. So he accelerated the schedule, and prevented her from taking a Name. Now she's nameless and doesn't even have power that draws from the Gods Below but is still a Villain. Meaning that she's now etching a brand new mark onto Creation, telling a story that has not yet been told, and as such does not have a Name, but has all the power thereof of one

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

this broken hill posted:

Hey mate

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
shalom :kimchi:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

this broken hill posted:

don't do this to me friend

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I would read the web serial of Ariel

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

The Black Knight wants to make an Evil Hero. Take the narratives of a Hero but put it in service to Evil. Orphan of uncertain background in an conquered nation doing her damnedest to bring peace and a degree of independence to Callow. And the vast majority of Cat's conflict is, in fact, against villains in service to doing what she sees as right. Heroic as gently caress.

Even if this isn't entirely his plan, it's definitely something going on at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tithin posted:

I would read the web serial of Ariel

Ariel Sharon reincarnated in a JRPG fantasy world.