Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Kennel posted:

Galaxy brain: Get a WR in your own self-made unpublished game.

The Ulillillia technique

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Kennel posted:

I didn't make it to that tier, I just ran a game no one else was... I am enjoying my 3 world records though.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Kennel posted:

Pretty sure something like this happened during an old bonus stream with a Game of Thrones fangame

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Parachute posted:

i wonder if there is a WR for that unnamed racing sim game they had at the health museum as a kid where you slowly get more and more drunk as time passes showing the effects of inebriation. someone out there beat that game, and someone out there is speedrunning it.
and whoever it is should switch to Desert Bus or whatever that game is called because the skills 100% overlap

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Parachute posted:

unnamed racing sim game they had at the health museum as a kid where you slowly get more and more drunk as time passes

I don't know what you're talking about, so I googled this exact phrase copy/pasted, and got a news article about doctors who accidentally ripped a baby's head off while delivering it.

Nah I'm good I don't need to know that badly.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Fawf posted:

Pretty sure something like this happened during an old bonus stream with a Game of Thrones fangame

It was the ultrajman game yeah, just a demo though

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Parachute posted:

i wonder if there is a WR for that unnamed racing sim game they had at the health museum as a kid where you slowly get more and more drunk as time passes showing the effects of inebriation. someone out there beat that game, and someone out there is speedrunning it.

I remember playing that one, where the input lags more and more as you play, and it over/under corrects randomly. After a while it's hardly playable, and most people ate poo poo against a curb or parked car. It wouldn't shock me to learn it was speed run. Bonus points if it was done while drinking on stream.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So SGDQ is almost upon us. Of course, I'll be making the seriousposting thread as usual, is beep by grandpa still around and want to make the shitposting thread again? Otherwise I can do that one too unless someone else really wants to.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Why make a new shitpost thread when we can just use this one

it'll save time :twisted:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I agree with this

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

I disagree with this

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Any early recommendations for runs to catch?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gilg posted:

Any early recommendations for runs to catch?
our boy peaches (aka furry drum circle) is doing Kid Chameleon (at like 6 AM on Wednesday, two runs after the four-hour Zelda run, literally the worst possible timeslot

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

I don't know, that sounds like you can get a nice 4 hour nap before his run starts.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I keep confusing kid chameleon with chameleon twist.

Now there's a speed game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U1vMcZso0k

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

FirstAidKite posted:

I keep confusing kid chameleon with chameleon twist.

Now there's a speed game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U1vMcZso0k

That was a fun watch. Great personality from the runner.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Shoutouts to everyone in the chameleon twist community, all 4 of them

Sometimes small speedrun communities are fun

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ive been falling asleep watching GDQ vids

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

FirstAidKite posted:

Shoutouts to everyone in the chameleon twist community, all 4 of them

Sometimes small speedrun communities are fun

woah there buddy, 4 is pretty massive imo

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

cool TAS of Super Mario Sunshine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_jwBHd9Ij0

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
I consider myself part of the chameleon twist community, I have a good time on the first two levels

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Chameleon Twist owned casually, I had totally forgotten about it, gonna watch that vod, thanks

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

SeXReX posted:

woah there buddy, 4 is pretty massive imo

Two is too many. If one other person runs my game I will get found out as being bad.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Dr. Stab posted:

Two is too many. If one other person runs my game I will get found out as being bad.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Anyone have a suggestion on a good first game to learn how to run? I’m thinking about a platformer like Celeste or just SMB1

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

purkey posted:

Anyone have a suggestion on a good first game to learn how to run? I’m thinking about a platformer like Celeste or just SMB1

LTTP Randomizer is extremely easy to pick up and you will see really, really quick gains. I went from a complete noob to "borderline able to compete in a tournament" in about a month.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
the hidden japanese only black chameleon...

Dancer
May 23, 2011

purkey posted:

Tinertia

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

purkey posted:

celeste tbqh

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

I’ll check out lttp randomizer this weekend. Haven’t beaten vanilla in forever though.

Been messing around with chapter one of Celeste for the past hour. Looked up some movement tech, and it’s really fun! Favorite moment was setting my super slow pb last attempt followed by a text box saying something along the lines of “Maybe this was a mistake”

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

SeXReX posted:

celeste tbqh

The Pico-8 version!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Cat Poke.

https://www.speedrun.com/Cat_Poke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeQeWGfzjiM

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

The mom has jiggle physics.

Also I think Rise of the Tomb Raider and Monolith will both go well.
This means the runs are cursed.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Wouldn't lttp Rando be a terrible intro to speedrunning? Like there's a lot of improvisation based on items and what you pull, where to go next.i would've thought a linear game that focuses on execution would be the best starting point.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Wouldn't lttp Rando be a terrible intro to speedrunning? Like there's a lot of improvisation based on items and what you pull, where to go next.i would've thought a linear game that focuses on execution would be the best starting point.

I always figured that it's only a great game for anything if you have the perfect knowledge of ALTTP in general, which is why I never got into it (never played alttp).

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

You can get a ton of knowledge about the game just by watching a bunch of races. When I was playing it I had a bunch of memory of the game, but there were dungeons I didn't fully remember the layout of, but I managed to know if I was lost if I didn't recognize the room I was in from watching races.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The idea of memorising a bunch of interactions and possible routes depending on your items seems a lot more complicated than picking a game you like, reading some speed chat then learning it real good. I known the thread loves rando, but something shorter and more linear might be a better intro.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
e: What the gently caress was this post?

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jun 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ilmucche posted:

The idea of memorising a bunch of interactions and possible routes depending on your items seems a lot more complicated than picking a game you like, reading some speed chat then learning it real good. I known the thread loves rando, but something shorter and more linear might be a better intro.

LTTP NMG (no major glitches) is pretty good for beginners too. There's even a tutorial video out there where someone does a full run and explains what you should be doing at each step.

I recommended LTTP Rando because it's one where you could very quickly get competitive and be winning races, while other speed games are going to require a lot more work before you're cracking into the top 10 in races/tournaments/etc.