Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I know Ford wasn’t actually on contract for ROTJ. That doesn’t change the fact that ESB ends by telling the audience that there is a plan and the heroes are going to do something about his capture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not saying TLJ is as good as Empire, but people did react negatively to Empire being such a downer, didn't they? It ends with Luke Skywalker deciding that he can't break the cycle of tyranny, and attempting suicide.

http://www.acriticalhit.com/fans-react-empire-strikes-back-1980/

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zoran posted:

I know Ford wasn’t actually on contract for ROTJ. That doesn’t change the fact that ESB ends by telling the audience that there is a plan and the heroes are going to do something about his capture.

Fair enough, but the last line of TLJ is still Leia reassuring Rey, "We have everything we need," and the final scene is trying to show that people are inspired by Luke Skywalker again which is plants the seed of rebellion or some such florid rubbish.

Now you can quite reasonably argue you think it does a bad job of it and lots of people would agree with you but I don't think it's ending on a fundamentally hopeless note myself. I feel like "hope in the face of a hopeless situation" is one of those things Star Wars tends to do. :shrug:

Again, though, maybe that's because my first impression watching it in the cinema (which has evidently remained with me) wasn't that this is literally the entire Resistance, and I assumed some of them had already escaped before the movie started. :shrug:

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The thing is, it doesn't matter, because TLJ's general thesis is that the Resistance is worthless. They're not going to do anything about slavery, corruption, or greed, their heroics are self-destructive, they'll never break free of the Jedi dogma that contains the seeds of its own destruction. Dark will always rise to balance light, so whether there's twelve rebels or twelve thousand, they're still not actually doing any good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Angry Salami posted:

The thing is, it doesn't matter, because TLJ's general thesis is that the Resistance is worthless. They're not going to do anything about slavery, corruption, or greed, their heroics are self-destructive, they'll never break free of the Jedi dogma that contains the seeds of its own destruction. Dark will always rise to balance light, so whether there's twelve rebels or twelve thousand, they're still not actually doing any good.

Well, we have apparently determined in this thread (or maybe the other one - they blur together a bit) that the Rebel Alliance was literally the House of Bourbon so that's just the way Star Wars rolls, I guess. :v:

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Related to the people not believing Vader is Luke's father, Lucas explains on the commentary for Return of the Jedi that he consulted a child psychologist who told him unless it was conclusively stated by characters they trusted, then young children wouldn't believe it was true. This is why both Yoda and Obi-Wan say Vader is his father.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Thanks! The reactions ran a gamut but were pretty much what I expected. Except all the people who thought Vader was just lying; that didn't occur to me.

Nowadays its the opposite; people assume everything every character says is expository dialogue.

Almost Blue posted:

Related to the people not believing Vader is Luke's father, Lucas explains on the commentary for Return of the Jedi that he consulted a child psychologist who told him unless it was conclusively stated by characters they trusted, then young children wouldn't believe it was true. This is why both Yoda and Obi-Wan say Vader is his father.
What I'm hearing is that Obi-Wan was kind of a poo poo father figure.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Obi is an hilarious poo poo. In that scene he sits down on a log (because his ghost legs are tired), he breaks out the certain point of view line, and then pouts when Luke won't commit to killing Vader.

Somewhat related to that, the one advantage of the 2-year gap between episodes instead of 3 is that all of the main cast isn't absolutely sick of making star wars and itching to move on professionally by the third one. Or maybe that's just the power of Disney's propaganda machine.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ingmar terdman posted:

Somewhat related to that, the one advantage of the 2-year gap between episodes instead of 3 is that all of the main cast isn't absolutely sick of making star wars and itching to move on professionally by the third one. Or maybe that's just the power of Disney's propaganda machine.

I believe Daisy Ridley's said she'd be content to finish after three then maybe come back a few years later for sequels.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A hopeful path of genuine rebellion is laid out in TLJ but I kind of doubt Abrams will follow it.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
TLJ ends with a little kid telling you that you too can be a part of the ResistanceTM if you pledge fealty to the brand and buy the merchandise, hence the scene where he literally plays with a Luke Skywalker action figure and his toy lightsaber/broom. It is one of the most cynical movies I have ever seen.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Star Wars became about "merch" the second Lucas bought the toy rights off Fox shortly before ANH came out. Dude knew exactly what he was doing there.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Van Dis posted:

TLJ ends with a little kid telling you that you too can be a part of the ResistanceTM if you pledge fealty to the brand and buy the merchandise, hence the scene where he literally plays with a Luke Skywalker action figure and his toy lightsaber/broom. It is one of the most cynical movies I have ever seen.

One way to read it but that was also the kid who got his ring from and was motivated by Rose who is def not in the Leia tradition of republican resistance.

JJ will probably make the liberals win tho in the end

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Cross-Section posted:

Star Wars became about "merch" the second Lucas bought the toy rights off Fox shortly before ANH came out. Dude knew exactly what he was doing there.

The lone entity that rivaled Star Wars in merchandising was Disney itself, prior to Disney buying it. Now it can finally reach its full potential in the Force (TM)(C)(R).

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

euphronius posted:

One way to read it but that was also the kid who got his ring from and was motivated by Rose who is def not in the Leia tradition of republican resistance.

JJ will probably make the liberals win tho in the end

Rose gave a decoder ring to a slave child so that she could go back to fighting for Leia. Also frees a bunch of horses.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I like the scene where they do some vandalism at the craven plutocrats, Star Wars needs a bit more Baader-Meinhof imo

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
How do we know the war profiteers are bad?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

General Dog posted:

How do we know the war profiteers are bad?
These war profiteers don't wear cool armor or make references to Point Break.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The war profiteers are as hollow and nonsensical to the plot as the rest of the sequel setting honestly. If the New Republic rules the Galaxy (except for where the First Order simultaneously does/does not rule). Then from what third party are these arms dealers even based from? Arms dealers selling to both sides in a war happens, but it only happens when there's other entities besides the two currently fighting. Is there some hereto unmentioned Space-Switzerland in the Galaxy that's managed to stay independent during all these Star Wars? Is Canto Bight in Space-Switzerland? They seem to have slavery (which was illegal in the Old Republic and I would assume by default the New) but they apparently don't hold allegiance to the First Order. Yet they seem to not mind that a totalitarian state that will not tolerate the existence of other powers has blown up the galactic capital (which would be bad for any business) and seized control of the known universe.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

galagazombie posted:

The war profiteers are as hollow and nonsensical to the plot as the rest of the sequel setting honestly. If the New Republic rules the Galaxy (except for where the First Order simultaneously does/does not rule). Then from what third party are these arms dealers even based from? Arms dealers selling to both sides in a war happens, but it only happens when there's other entities besides the two currently fighting. Is there some hereto unmentioned Space-Switzerland in the Galaxy that's managed to stay independent during all these Star Wars? Is Canto Bight in Space-Switzerland? They seem to have slavery (which was illegal in the Old Republic and I would assume by default the New) but they apparently don't hold allegiance to the First Order. Yet they seem to not mind that a totalitarian state that will not tolerate the existence of other powers has blown up the galactic capital (which would be bad for any business) and seized control of the known universe.

The First Order are the New Republic, in the basic sense that they rose up from inside and control the majority of the New Republic. The arms dealers are not a third party. They are corporations operating inside the New Republic.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not saying TLJ is as good as Empire, but people did react negatively to Empire being such a downer, didn't they? It ends with Luke Skywalker deciding that he can't break the cycle of tyranny, and attempting suicide.

No, it was Luke deciding he couldn't be part of the cycle of tyranny, even at the cost of his life. Dying wasn't the goal. Not submitting to Vader was the goal, and dying was the method.

Meanwhile, Last Jedi explicitly states that good and evil will keep ping ponging back and forth for all eternity on automatic.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

luke says the light and the dark ping pong.

I dont think he mentioned evil and good.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

galagazombie posted:

The war profiteers are as hollow and nonsensical to the plot as the rest of the sequel setting honestly. If the New Republic rules the Galaxy (except for where the First Order simultaneously does/does not rule). Then from what third party are these arms dealers even based from? Arms dealers selling to both sides in a war happens, but it only happens when there's other entities besides the two currently fighting.
During the Spanish Civil War, Texaco operated as a branch of the Wehrmacht and, just, got away with it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Halloween Jack posted:

Thanks! The reactions ran a gamut but were pretty much what I expected. Except all the people who thought Vader was just lying; that didn't occur to me.

Nowadays its the opposite; people assume everything every character says is expository dialogue.

What I'm hearing is that Obi-Wan was kind of a poo poo father figure.

It's bad enough that this kid is going to finish off Vader because he didn't have the cajones to do it years ago. Demonstrating that loving him as family instead of rejecting him over dogma was the path to defeating the Dark Side meant that Obi-wan's core values were fundamentally wrong, and the entire fall of the Republuc and rise of the Empire were ultimately his fault for being a bad Jedi.

He's a bit salty about it yeah.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Halloween Jack posted:

During the Spanish Civil War, Texaco operated as a branch of the Wehrmacht and, just, got away with it.

But that's just what I'm saying. Texaco was not part of the factions fighting over control of Spain. They were from an uninvolved third entity (The U.S.) and selling to a group (The Fascists) that the U.S. was not in conflict with. For the comparison to work, the galaxy the Republic/First Order are fighting over would have to have other galaxies/polities not locked in the struggle that these arms dealers can be based out of. But in Star Wars theres just the one Galaxy far far away. As much as the American business elite loved fascism, once Pearl Harbor happened (And really before). They couldn't really lend them any meaningful support. At best you had subsidiaries like the coke guys who invented Fanta who were really just a separate company (That likewise couldn't sell to the U.S.) until the war was over and HQ came and repossessed all their stuff.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I see your point, but the Empire is undergoing internal crisis, so it's plausible that private companies and entire planetary governments are selling weapons to both the provisional government and a revanchist movement. The New Republic is clearly unable to exercise discipline over the territory it purports to govern.

Bearing in mind that the Old Republic appears to have been not so much a single republic as a strong confederation of sovereign planets.

It seems to me that a big part of the appeal of the Separatist movement was that their rhetoric acknowledged the property rights and sovereignty of its members, even if in practice everything was directed by a small group of bickering people. Not entirely unlike the Confederacy.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 20, 2018

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

To me the sticking point is the self-satisfied way Benicio del Toro tells us about the weapons manufacturers selling to both sides, implying you'd be naive to not think that was happening, which doesn't mesh well with how weird it is for it to be going on in what seems like a galaxy-spanning war instead of just a regional conflict. It's not that it's implausible as a plot point, but the way it's treated by the characters.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
the only way the rebellion can be saved is if they abandon the republic and try for something new.
The way the republic collapsed was clearly because of entropy/decadence, and not any outside threat.
edit: truly a weimar republic

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Wild Horses posted:

the only way the rebellion can be saved is if they abandon the republic and try for something new.
The way the republic collapsed was clearly because of entropy/decadence, and not any outside threat.
edit: truly a weimar republic

Sadly, I have little hope for Kylo and Rey uniting over a shared commitment to smashing the state and overthrowing capital.

Kind of a pity, since it should be possible to create a post-scarcity utopia machine with the type of resources that go into things like the Death Star.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Hodgepodge posted:

Sadly, I have little hope for Kylo and Rey uniting over a shared commitment to smashing the state and overthrowing capital.

Kind of a pity, since it should be possible to create a post-scarcity utopia machine with the type of resources that go into things like the Death Star.

They're going to compromise on re-establishing a liberal democracy with a strong commitment to military spending.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Gotta get ready for the Yuuzhan Vong

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Shanty posted:

Gotta get ready for the Yuuzhan Vong

There was a planned Clone Wars episode with them, and they lacked the Force immunity due to the direction Lucas had taken the Force (such as the Father, Son, and Daughter, and the Force Priestesses seen during Yoda's arc in Season 6)

The Vong encountered were just advance scouts

My guess is that is what led Anakin to meeting Thrawn in the first place

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vinylshadow posted:

There was a planned Clone Wars episode with them, and they lacked the Force immunity due to the direction Lucas had taken the Force (such as the Father, Son, and Daughter, and the Force Priestesses seen during Yoda's arc in Season 6)

What even would have been the point of them, then?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Apparently the big Star Wars News that was getting rumbled about the other day was that all spinoff films are on hold. Episode IX and "the new trilogy" (presumed to be RJ's) are the only active film projects

http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoffs-on-hold/

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Goddamn my right knuckles are throbbing, I think I'm empathically bonded to Ewan McGregor

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

Something something invading alien race?

Tone back their ritualistic mutilation and play up symbiotic relationship to their ships and weapons, and abhorrence of technology

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Eh, that was only one part of them, and I think the worst part. Using biotechnology, hating all artificial tech and droids, and self mutilation as a religion would still be there. And being an unexpected force from outside of the galaxy with tech not understood by our characters. It could have been alright. Still probably best to leave it be.

jivjov posted:

Apparently the big Star Wars News that was getting rumbled about the other day was that all spinoff films are on hold. Episode IX and "the new trilogy" (presumed to be RJ's) are the only active film projects

http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoffs-on-hold/

God dammit, Solo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
::looks up figures::

Huh. Solo looks expensive, but not $275 million expensive.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Halloween Jack posted:

::looks up figures::

Huh. Solo looks expensive, but not $275 million expensive.

That's what happens when you re-shoot ~70 percent of a movie that was already two weeks away from being done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Harime Nui posted:

Goddamn my right knuckles are throbbing, I think I'm empathically bonded to Ewan McGregor

How does it feel to be despised by your children?