Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

ChrisBTY posted:

1) Is Gurren Lagen some kind of crazy person's anime?

chiasaur11 posted:

1) It's an anime for MEN WHO FIGHT AGAINST DESTINY! Basically it's a tribute to old school super robot shows that goes to eleven. It's made by the team who went on to form Trigger, so it goes for over the top whenever it can.

TTGL is basically expertly crafted to be a series of highs and lows in basic storytelling format, but because one of the highs is the hero spontaneously learning to teleport so he can punch his sad friend back to his senses with a yell of "GRIT YOUR TEETH" you remember the good times better. I think Rossiu was sad because he felt like he & Simon weren't on the same page anymore? IDK, nobody loving teleported in that part.

As for Nadia, I respect the decision to include the series and I respect the decision not to give the main character a robot. But at the same time, I'm probably fine with not covering the story again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Rossiu almost genocided the remaining human race with a hard decision, that's why he's sad

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Armored Core is still coming, that Sony Japan Studio/From Software VR game isn't one of their 3 main games.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

HitTheTargets posted:

TTGL is basically expertly crafted to be a series of highs and lows in basic storytelling format, but because one of the highs is the hero spontaneously learning to teleport so he can punch his sad friend back to his senses with a yell of "GRIT YOUR TEETH" you remember the good times better. I think Rossiu was sad because he felt like he & Simon weren't on the same page anymore? IDK, nobody loving teleported in that part.

There was kind of a thing where Simon and gang leveraged their victory over Lord Genome to become in charge of everybody but were terrible administrators and Rossiu had to work his rear end off just to keep society operating. And then the plot bent itself into a knot to make all of Rossiu's decisions Bad and Simon's lack of any decision Good and the dude had trouble with that for a while.

He cheered right up after Simon promised to take his and his gangs bullshit off planet and Rossiu became Boss of Earth.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Rossiu made a lot of tough decisions that it turned out he didn't have to because he was in an anime where yelling "nuh-uh!" louder solves all problems. The movie version where he goes "man, I hosed up" and his girlfriend slaps him instead of Simon and tells him he did good is much better. The final battle is also much better in the movie too!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

EthanSteele posted:

The Dunbine crew are great! Bug mechs! Fairies! Swords charged with power to shoot beams! And the Billbine is good if only because of "Aura giri-daaaAAaAAaaAaAAaaAaaaAaa" though Sho does do huge damage. Aced and with Attacker he ends up at something like +50% damage at 150 will or above and all his numbers are huge from the Custom Bonus and his really high Battler skill. He's pretty much insect mech Ryouma in terms of base damage output, but with a fairy friend instead of a fat friend. Buddy Complex however is maximum Generic Mecha Anime so its difficult to have strong feelings about it in any direction other than "oh, huh, its there I guess" so that's a natural reaction.

Reals vs the final boss basically amount to using Foresee all the time, or at least Disrupt + Focus/Instinct with a Foresee after their turn is done so they don't die to map attacks. Obviously you gave the OG the 11/11B birthday and loads of SP Up and recovery items and chose the Vault upgrade that makes Foresee cheaper in preparation for the Inevitable Real Killing Boss. X's isn't too bad if you have them super upgraded, but I was Super heavy, the only reals I used were Billbine, Sirbine, Hi-Nu, Sazabi, Zeta, ZZ, Vivian and the Nightingale. The only ones of those without a top tier fighting pilot in was Fa in the Nightingale and Vivian and they all have the spells needed to either not get hit or have Persist (or both!), so I can see it being much more difficult if you have to spend twice as much SP a turn on Foresee because you have way more people that need it. The other thing is having a bunch of support defenders with shields around, but that doesn't help so much against the rude boy map attacks.

Well more to the point, without a lot of babying the end bosses seemed to shrug off the attacks from my reals.
Even Gundam Wing was at best, marginally effective.
Like, I stopped attacking with the reals I brought into the battle because all it accomplished was giving the boss morale.
Jill is a mediocre battler but 8sp Foresee means nobody in my army gets hit by non-map attacks unless I don't care.
most of the reals in the final battles were just Daunt/Foresee/Prospect Batteries for me.

I didn't have any trouble with the end really, but that's just because I leaned hard into Supers, because that's how I roll.
It seems like real fans have a really hard road to hoe at the end.
(But then again given how often they're mandatory deploys, I imagine even real fans probably put a bunch of resources into Supers)

From the beginning part of me was hoping that Buddy Complex was some kind of a Giant Robot Terminator anime. Super disappointed when it became 'genericest anime ever'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Real robots do a whole bucketload of damage. Were you making sure to take size things into account? Ange and Kallen were both dealing out absurd amounts of damage for me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ChrisBTY posted:

Well more to the point, without a lot of babying the end bosses seemed to shrug off the attacks from my reals
Did you buy them ignore size?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah 2 or 3 levels of ignore size made most of my Reals pretty decent damage dealers by the end.

I was using the 3 Buddy Complex units, the 3 Billbine units (Marvel in Sirbine), Ange, Deathscythe Gundam, Hi-Nu(Amuro), Nightengale(Char), the G-Self, Sandrock Gundam, Kallen, Suzaku, Wataru, and Lelouch.

The only ones that had real issues were Sandrock (I gave it the 5500 damage part and it still struggled) and Suzaku (because he was an underlevelled filler unit).

Obviously none of them could touch the ridiculous power TTTGL, The Mazingers or Xelguard were throwing out. But they were all useful and fared better than most of the filler Supers I used in the last few missions.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

ImpAtom posted:

Real robots do a whole bucketload of damage. Were you making sure to take size things into account? Ange and Kallen were both dealing out absurd amounts of damage for me.

I bought it for the key ones.
I didn't know 3XL was a size though so they didn't have enough.
Does a size S bot need level 4 ignore size to do full damage to a 3XL?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Honestly I don't put too much stock in Ignore Size given almost every Real will have a Finisher that has Ignore Size built in anyways.

That said the Power Part that grants Ignore Size to every single attack is amazing when combined with Ange/Vilkiss.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ChrisBTY posted:

I bought it for the key ones.
I didn't know 3XL was a size though so they didn't have enough.
Does a size S bot need level 4 ignore size to do full damage to a 3XL?

Yup! Like Pureauthor said though, most Reals have a size ignoring finisher anyway. Wataru is a tiny Super that does one million damage, Kallen is a tiny invincible buzzsaw too. Amuro in the Hi-Nu should be putting out as much damage as pretty much everyone else on upgrade parity.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

EthanSteele posted:

Yup! Like Pureauthor said though, most Reals have a size ignoring finisher anyway. Wataru is a tiny Super that does one million damage, Kallen is a tiny invincible buzzsaw too. Amuro in the Hi-Nu should be putting out as much damage as pretty much everyone else on upgrade parity.

Amuro in Reggo-Nu with a Hyper Reloader is way sicker than the Hi-Nu imo

I stuck Seabrook in the Hi-nu but no one can keep up with Amuro for pure damage aside from the Mazingers.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I'm saving Amuro in the Nu for when I do a Real run and people are fighting for the Hi-Nu! Geez! Wataru does a bunch of damage as his Will goes up because Saviour is a real rude skill.

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

I figured I should post this here as well:

https://twitter.com/TheMajinZenki/status/1009046242935083008

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Congrats on the release!

Three English SRW releases in one year is crazy!!!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I cannot wait to get owned by A Portable again.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
Please just cheat at it and give yourself 99 of every part.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Welp I had other games but who cares now

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Is A Portable the really hard one where they jacked up enemy HP massively when they ported it to PSP?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Zore posted:

Is A Portable the really hard one where they jacked up enemy HP massively when they ported it to PSP?
MX Portable is the one with the jacked up enemy HP.

A Portable is the one that's hard because you have hilariously low accuracy, even with Reals. Amuro and Char don't even get Strike (Though hilariously, Kou of all people does).

Its kind of frustrating too because A Portable was one of the last games where you can field the classic RX-78-2. It's got some cool attacks...that will never, ever hit if you deploy Amuro in the thing.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 19, 2018

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

This is awesome! Thank you and everyone else for your hard work.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Hell yeah! Been looking forward to Axel's Bogus Journey! Congrats on the release!

Nephrite posted:

Please just cheat at it and give yourself 99 of every part.

Show me the cheats. Gimme the cheats.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Wasn’t Lt Burning and his GM Custom of all things one of the best units in the game fully upgraded because of the bonus?

Also, the low accuracy is no loving joke; always bring the AWACS Dragonar unit with you. I never got super far into A Portable but it has G Gundam!

... it also has the mother of all Don Saucer battles from what I heard..

MechaX fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 19, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The one thing I remember from the GBA version was that Getter Robo Drill was the best unit because it has two different invincible dodge procs, which effectively was 100% at a high enough morale.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

What's the best psp emulator? I sold off my actual system a couple years ago which I'm now seriously regretting.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

mrfreeze posted:

What's the best psp emulator? I sold off my actual system a couple years ago which I'm now seriously regretting.

ppsspp is pretty good

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

MechaX posted:

Wasn’t Lt Burning and his GM Custom of all things one of the best units in the game fully upgraded because of the bonus?

Also, the low accuracy is no loving joke; always bring the AWACS Dragonar unit with you. I never got super far into A Portable but it has G Gundam!

... it also has the mother of all Don Saucer battles from what I heard..

About Don Saucer, you remember how miserable fighting Emperor Zuul was in the Z series? His stage is basically that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I remember Char's Custom Gelgoog being a solid unit too that lasted pretty far into the game for me, though IIRC its a pain in the butt to actually beat Char to get it.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Raxivace posted:

MX Portable is the one with the jacked up enemy HP.

A Portable is the one that's hard because you have hilariously low accuracy, even with Reals. Amuro and Char don't even get Strike (Though hilariously, Kou of all people does).

Its kind of frustrating too because A Portable was one of the last games where you can field the classic RX-78-2. It's got some cool attacks...that will never, ever hit if you deploy Amuro in the thing.

That actually sounds pretty miserable.
Might pass on that one.

EthanSteele posted:

he wasn't for me.
I stopped fielding him (Amuro) because enemies were just shrugging him off.
Must have been doing something wrong.
But Wataru was so great I didn't even realize he was tiny.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
If you want cheats for A Portable...

quote:

_C0 Robot Parts
_L 0x8088A129 0x00250001
_L 0x00000020 0x00000000
_C0 Pilot Parts
_L 0x8088A1A9 0x00230001
_L 0x00000020 0x00000000
_C0 Max Money
_L 0x2088A0E0 0x0098967F
_L 0x80873524 0x0032003E
_L 0x100003E7 0x00000000
_L 0x80319578 0x010001C0
_L 0x00000000 0x00000000
_C0 Morale150
_L 0x8031957A 0x010001C0
_L 0x00000096 0x00000000
_C0 Inf Movement
_L 0x4031954C 0x01000070
_L 0x00000000 0x00000000

I had to make a save on the base japanese game to get these to stick and then transfer over to the english one, but you should be able to get these to work on a PPSSPP.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ChrisBTY posted:

That actually sounds pretty miserable.
Might pass on that one.
FWIW I think A Portable is a very fun game and I think its absolutely worth trying, it just isn't loving around with you unlike a lot of the recent easier SRW games.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I carried Amuro in the RX-78-2 all the way to the end in A Portable, feeding him like half my accuracy skill parts the whole game. He was in my top 5 for most of the game but still had like 3X% hit rates against the final boss. Just accept that you want to field all the people packing Strike/Lockon and Inspire/Attune you can get and you'll save yourself a lot of frustration.

I think it's a pretty good game on a purely mechanical level. Yeah, you have to tryhard (or cheat) but it's very rewarding and it feels nice to have a game that is mostly about knowing how to use basic mechanics well instead of having to fiddle with squad systems or tac-p or whatever.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Having a game reward using the Dragonar boys (and others) as a squad with the EWAC guy being super useful is rad.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
So how hard is A Portable overall? So far I've played V, X, W, Z1 and Alpha Gaiden. I did ragequit Alpha Gaiden at stage 38 or so (the one versus Turn X where you need to beat him in 7 turns) because I just couldn't chew through his mooks and his HP quick enough. I think I got 30/37 of the SR points leading up to that though.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

It's kinda weird and refreshing to hear folk in these circles don't know what Gurren Lagann is.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Just got to stage 12 of X, and I'm having a couple of thoughts pop up right now: Aoba and Buddy Complex are actually growing on me despite having the most :geno: combo attack I've really seen in this series and Aoba not getting something about time travel that was said to his face (understandable as it is given what was going on), and Nadia needs to get her poo poo in order really drat soon because her 'I don't like fighting' shtick is getting really loving old already.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Zore posted:

So how hard is A Portable overall? So far I've played V, X, W, Z1 and Alpha Gaiden. I did ragequit Alpha Gaiden at stage 38 or so (the one versus Turn X where you need to beat him in 7 turns) because I just couldn't chew through his mooks and his HP quick enough. I think I got 30/37 of the SR points leading up to that though.

It's probably the hardest SRW in the last 15 years, where fully upgrading units is expected to beat it. Games since as early as Alpha 1 can be beaten without upgrades. Even arguably D is easy to beat once you gain access to Macross 7.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Tae posted:

It's probably the hardest SRW in the last 15 years, where fully upgrading units is expected to beat it. Games since as early as Alpha 1 can be beaten without upgrades. Even arguably D is easy to beat once you gain access to Macross 7.

Isn't D difficult mostly because of that armor bug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Nice, I can no relive the very first SRW game I ever played but this time not accidentally kill my ReGZ every time by accidentally purging its flight parts over a ravine, ocean, or cliff. I'm still amazed I beat the game when I did. Haven't nearly no understanding of Japanese and playing a rom of it I managed to beat the last boss by sacrificing every deployed unit I had on the field.

• Locked thread