Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

FuturePastNow posted:

I think the SR-71 and A-12 couldn't take off with full fuel tanks.

In that case it was more that it couldn't land with full fuel and had no fuel dump provisions. So they took off with a reduced load in case it needed to return, then fuelled up once everything checked out ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, these Qantas passengers definitely have a good story: http://m.newser.com/story/260720/lax-flight-plunges-into-nosedive.html

And yeah, I know it's "wake turbulence story #583735," but this time it was an A380 that turned into a rollercoaster.

Headline of that story: "LAX Flight Plunges Into Nosedive"

Alternate facts:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-14/qantas-a380-passengers-were-never-in-any-danger/9871664 posted:

Qantas's chief technical pilot, captain Alex Passerini, reviewed the data from the flight and said there was never any danger, as planes are built to deal with wake turbulence.

"The airplane typically cruises at a pitch attitude, as we call it, of about two-and-a-half degrees," he said.

"We know it pitched up about a degree, and then, as part of the return to normal flight at the right altitude, the nose dropped about three degrees.

"So the total sweep is very small, but we can understand that for someone sitting at the back, that has experienced this lovely smooth ride, to have this suddenly happen can be a little alarming."

Mr Passerini said the movement could give the impression of a nose dive, depending on where the passenger was sitting on the plane.
YouTube: Qantas's chief technical pilot captain Alex Passerini explains turbulence

"Particularly if there's a negative G … that 'top of the roller coaster' … that unsettling feeling in your stomach," he said.

I suppose "plunge" is an accurate way to describe a sudden change in pitch, and "nosedive" is technically an accurate way to describe any negative pitch? :v:

The headline sounded to me more like one where the article would say the plane lost thousands of feet of altitude. Sure, I get that it wouldn't have felt pleasant for passengers!

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Again, I'm seriously worried his bolted joints are just going to catastrophically fail with almost no warning due to stress cracking at his bolt holes and he'll just be free-tumbling inside a mess of aluminum and foam with several thousand joules of lithium batteries as an impact-absorbing feature in the nose.

Does he live stream? :ohdear:

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
On the topic of questionable home built aircraft, didn't somebody say a couple Long-EZ builders died because they went "Airplane parts? Those are expensive! I can get that for cheaper at NAPA!" and used automotive fuel lines and so on instead?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Buttcoin purse posted:

Headline of that story: "LAX Flight Plunges Into Nosedive"

Alternate facts:

I suppose "plunge" is an accurate way to describe a sudden change in pitch, and "nosedive" is technically an accurate way to describe any negative pitch? :v:

The headline sounded to me more like one where the article would say the plane lost thousands of feet of altitude. Sure, I get that it wouldn't have felt pleasant for passengers!

Does he live stream? :ohdear:

It's funny I was just catching up on this thread and mediawatch is doing a story on the media beat up of this story. Long story short, most news agencies reported the nosedive, some with "inflight footage" from a smaller plane 7 years ago, there were reports as well of Qantas being investigated. All of it turns out as you wrote, everything within standard limitations, bit of a severe bump and a minor celebrity was on board one of the flights (Eddie loving McGuire)

In other news I just got back from a work trip and can highly recommend Cathay Pacific and the A350-900. Really comfortable plane to fly 10+ hours on. Premium Economy also made it a bit easier too...

movax
Aug 30, 2008

A359 is legit. I enjoyed Delta’s regular economy product in it from NRT-DTW last year. I think I preferred it to the four ANA 787 legs I had this year (YVR-HND-BKK) simply because the climate control on the ANA birds was infuriating. Started out balls hot and then gets cold like four hours later. Better customer service of course but goddamn the heat sucked.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Apropos of nothing, when out hiking yesterday I watched a glider fly around above me for a while. I've never seen one in person before.

It's both amazing and incredibly freaky watching something that looks like an enormous bird silently circling above you.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I get treated to a Lufthansa A359 in business in a couple months with a lay-flat for YVR-MUN. I've heard mixed reviews of them on some of those business travelers websites, but I can't imagine it being bad compared to anything that isn't a flat.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

movax posted:

A359 is legit. I enjoyed Delta’s regular economy product in it from NRT-DTW last year. I think I preferred it to the four ANA 787 legs I had this year (YVR-HND-BKK) simply because the climate control on the ANA birds was infuriating. Started out balls hot and then gets cold like four hours later. Better customer service of course but goddamn the heat sucked.

They're pretty great up front too.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I've said it a million times but this bears repeating -

Airplane comfort has nothing to do with the airplane itself and everything to do with how the airline specs the cabin

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

C.M. Kruger posted:

On the topic of questionable home built aircraft, didn't somebody say a couple Long-EZ builders died because they went "Airplane parts? Those are expensive! I can get that for cheaper at NAPA!" and used automotive fuel lines and so on instead?

That describes everything in the air. Not just long-ez. And.. a lot of things at NAPA, are completely the same as airplane stuff...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrChips posted:

Airplane comfort has nothing to do with the airplane itself and everything to do with how the airline specs the cabin

A32x and 737/757s are both usually configured 3-3 in economy but since the A320 is wider it can have wider seats for the same aisle size.

That said, its 100% up to the airline whether they want to run for example 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 in a 777 and 3-4-3 is terrible (so of course United runs it).

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

787 has the annoying windowshades that you the passenger has absolutely no control over unless the cabin crew deign to let you have it. And the seat bolts into the floor at a really inconvenient place. I didn't notice the pressurisation or anything. That's plane-specific not airline-specific

e: but yes overall not disagreeing that airline spec is the bigger factor in most cases

simplefish fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 18, 2018

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MrChips posted:

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Who else is on the plane?” is the single most significant factor.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

For my next post I've been reading about the Damiler A and B projects and I'm sick with a cold and I can't decide if it was one of the dumbest things the Nazis ever attempted or one of the smartest

Like I was thinking about how you could build a modern version and it might 1) cure next-war-itis that all bomber designs suffer from and 2) bring back the bomber for more nations

The crazy, it may be calling from inside the house

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'm reasonably sure, though, that this was always a bad idea

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

hobbesmaster posted:

A32x and 737/757s are both usually configured 3-3 in economy but since the A320 is wider it can have wider seats for the same aisle size.

That said, its 100% up to the airline whether they want to run for example 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 in a 777 and 3-4-3 is terrible (so of course United runs it).

Way back in 2003 I was on a United 777 that was 2-5-2.

simplefish posted:

787 has the annoying windowshades that you the passenger has absolutely no control over unless the cabin crew deign to let you have it. And the seat bolts into the floor at a really inconvenient place. I didn't notice the pressurisation or anything. That's plane-specific not airline-specific

e: but yes overall not disagreeing that airline spec is the bigger factor in most cases

What's the point of this, is it to decrease turn times by not having the crew have to open all the shades or something?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mortabis posted:

:stare: That’s a war crime, good god.

Mortabis posted:

What's the point of this, is it to decrease turn times by not having the crew have to open all the shades or something?

Simple to implement and makes crew life easier if they require the shades open for takeoff / landing would be my guess.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I’m totally ok with crew controlled windows after being blinded by the sun on the second half of a red eye because some grandma wanted reading light.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

Should be the same seat width as 3-3-3. I think L-1011s ran 2-5-2? Or MD-11s? I just vaguely remember those.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

ATA L-1011s were 2-5-2.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

Should be the same seat width as 3-3-3. I think L-1011s ran 2-5-2? Or MD-11s? I just vaguely remember those.

The guy in the centerline seat wants to put a gun in his mouth, though.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
The 787 windows are the best.

1) While flying from Seattle to Tokyo, following the sun the whole way, I could look down and see the Aleutians even with the sun out the window in total comfort.

2) People suck controlling their own windows and will make your life hell.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

MrChips posted:

M-m-m-m-m-y cabin altitude

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
17inch seat widths are the worst, but I love everything about the 787. The small size makes boarding faster and it's range and size makes all kinds of weird city pairs profitable. I can fly back to New Zealand direct from Chicago, Houston, San Francisco or LA (ugh) on either Air NZ, United or American. Before the 787 Air NZ had a monopoly on the route and only flew 772/773's out of west coast hubs. It sucked.

If they can ever squeeze a bit of extra range out of them to make IAD to AKL non-stop possible, that'd be amazing. The demand would be there.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

sanchez posted:

17inch seat widths are the worst, but I love everything about the 787. The small size makes boarding faster and it's range and size makes all kinds of weird city pairs profitable. I can fly back to New Zealand direct from Chicago, Houston, San Francisco or LA (ugh) on either Air NZ, United or American. Before the 787 Air NZ had a monopoly on the route and only flew 772/773's out of west coast hubs. It sucked.

If they can ever squeeze a bit of extra range out of them to make IAD to AKL non-stop possible, that'd be amazing. The demand would be there.

IAD-AKL is almost 200nm shorter than ORD-AKL.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Jealous Cow posted:

IAD-AKL is almost 200nm shorter than ORD-AKL.

How do you figure? I get 8600nm vs 8200nm

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SeaborneClink posted:

How do you figure? I get 8600nm vs 8200nm

I used gcmap.com.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I got 7480 nmi IAD-AKL versus 7120 nmi ORD-AKL.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Minto Took posted:

ATA L-1011s were 2-5-2.

Try being stuck on one for 15+ hours from PHL to Sigonella, Sicily in August of 1991.

Multi-hour stopover in Lajes where we were forbidden from exiting the plane as it was the middle of the night - the air smelled of wood pulp/farts, then deplaned at Aviano for refuelling and stuck out on school busses without air conditioning for easily 90 minutes. Everyone on the plane had DoD credentials (official or dependent), but they wouldn't let us hit the BX or anything. Most miserable loving flight ever. Only thing that made it palatable was that my mother and I had were sharing one of the two-seat sides...well, that and the guy in front of us who had drank his breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert before boarding in Philadelphia had the decency to pass out until he was forced to wake up and move at Aviano.

Second worst flight was Dulles to Frankfurt in 1997 on one of United's then brand-new 777s. In the middle of one of those 2/5/2 configs. Only thing that made that livable was that the middle seat was vacant and we had aisle access.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Mortabis posted:

It's just Full Communism Now by my reckoning

But really the answer is that they're so afraid of isolated arseholes opening the blinds and waking passengers up to have to deal with that they'd rather plunge everyone into darkness

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Mortabis posted:

I got 7480 nmi IAD-AKL versus 7120 nmi ORD-AKL.
GCmap is pretty close to that, 7476 nm IAD-AKL vs 7111 nm ORD-AKL.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

I reversed my numbers and was using SM lol

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

simplefish posted:

But really the answer is that they're so afraid of isolated arseholes opening the blinds and waking passengers up to have to deal with that they'd rather plunge everyone into darkness
This is cool and good btw

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

simplefish posted:

That’s what blindfolds are for.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mortabis posted:

It is for the same reason as practically everything else on the 787. To save weight. Central control is just an added feature.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’m starting to ponder a museum trip to DC, primarily for Udvar-Hazy and the Air & Space Museum. Probably late fall or early winter (the most off-peak times, basically). Any tips? Isn’t Udvar-Hazy somewhat annoying to get to?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

david_a posted:

I’m starting to ponder a museum trip to DC, primarily for Udvar-Hazy and the Air & Space Museum. Probably late fall or early winter (the most off-peak times, basically). Any tips? Isn’t Udvar-Hazy somewhat annoying to get to?

It's right next to Dulles airport, so if you fly in there you can make it your first stop or last stop if you fly out of there. With the metro running to Reston now it's slightly less of a pain. Really it's probably easiest to stay downtown and rent a car for a day to get there if you're flying in to National or Baltimore.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

david_a posted:

Rented a car for a day. Drove to it from DC in about 45 minutes. Get there right at opening. Afterwards you ought to stop by a WaWa for lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

david_a posted:

You *can* get to it via the Metro Silver Line, then taking a connector bus (the museum's website lists it on their directions page, I believe) that will take you right to the museum's door. That's about a 30-45 minute ride once you get on the bus at the Reston-Wiehle stop, simply because it's a connector line with a lot of potential stops. Some people just rent a car for a day, but I think the parking charge at Udvar-Hazy is now $18 up from $15. So be sure you get $18 worth of time if you go that route.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 20, 2018