Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Olympic Mathlete posted:

He says they were originally used to transport motorbikes to the track for racing. ...but then they decided to race the vans too.

That might just be the AI-est thing I've ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Noriyaro was at that event and he says he'll be doing a new video about it because everyone loved the last one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U2BC5sOltU

He says they were originally used to transport motorbikes to the track for racing. ...but then they decided to race the vans too.

Guess I know what I need to do.
buy a van that’s not lovely, first

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I love how they figured out that they can rev match by blipping the throttle during the 3-2 downshift because on that automatic transmission it slips into neutral in between those two gears. If the transmission on my work van suddenly explodes sometime in the near future its totally unrelated to watching that video i swear guys.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I am sick and tired of being one upped by my mates

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Did they have much trouble with fitting it?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Oh poo poo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bape Culture posted:

:getin:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
oh, poo poo, haha.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Bape Culture posted:

The best thing about BMW's is the American engineering.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Imperador do Brasil posted:

The first one I was like oh those look like Ram vans. But then I thought, how many of those could there be in Japan? The answer apparently is quite a few, all of which are drift-ready and I love it.

I'm curious how so many LHD Ram vans ended up in Japan as well. What percentage are from an auction after the US bases upgraded vs. imported to be a cool kid with a Ram van?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Slim Pickens posted:

I'm curious how so many LHD Ram vans ended up in Japan as well. What percentage are from an auction after the US bases upgraded vs. imported to be a cool kid with a Ram van?

All US military personnel can bring their personal vehicles with them when they deploy. You can then also chose to not bring it back with you.

Whole lotta USDM vehicles rolling around the NATO bases in Germany when I was there.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hmm I wonder if he had any cooling problems at any point during development.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm not familiar, what engine is that?

edit: some 3 liter audi engine. AVK maybe?

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 19, 2018

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Larrymer posted:

It's from the Passat that became the rear end end of that 996.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BraveUlysses posted:

lmao you know we've finally become a third world country when a terrible pizza chain is repairing roads as a marketing gimmick

Welcome to the pizza hut burbclave, citizen.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Zaphod42 posted:

Welcome to the pizza hut burbclave, citizen.

I only wish reality was as cool as the first thirty pages of that book.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
FYI Amazon acquired the rights to Snowcrash and are currently making it into a big budget show to take on Game of Thrones. First time since GoT premiered that I’ve been excited for an upcoming TV show.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Huge_Midget posted:

FYI Amazon acquired the rights to Snowcrash and are currently making it into a big budget show to take on Game of Thrones. First time since GoT premiered that I’ve been excited for an upcoming TV show.

You just know they're gonna cock it up.

Plus honestly I loved that book but besides Hiro and YT everything else is pretty meh. The core plot is kinda dumb and the ending is dumb.

Cosa Nostra pizza rules though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Zaphod42 posted:

You just know they're gonna cock it up.

Plus honestly I loved that book but besides Hiro and YT everything else is pretty meh. The core plot is kinda dumb and the ending is dumb.

Cosa Nostra pizza rules though.

A crime drama based on the Snow Crash Costa Nostra mafia with no reference to the rest of Snow Crash other than an occasional oblique reference to the pizza chain could be amazing.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Huge_Midget posted:

Going to be fun hearing all the comments about how Snowcrash is just a rip off of Ready Player One.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some old timey cars from the weekend.

Blackhawks Farms Vintage Racing by xzzy77, on Flickr

url=https://flic.kr/p/25BQa2q]Blackhawks Farms Vintage Racing[/url] by xzzy77, on Flickr

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Huge_Midget posted:

Meh, call me when they make Anathem into a long-form TV series.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Memento posted:

Meh, call me when they make Anathem into a long-form TV series.

The Baroque Cycle or GTFO. :colbert:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Larrymer posted:

Either an atq or aha engine. 2.8L, longitudinal mount with provisions for awd which is how I'm guessing he's powering the rear wheels?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

MrYenko posted:

I'll take GTFO then. :doublecolbert:

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrYenko posted:

I could never get into that one. I loved everything else but I just couldn't focus on baroque. What's it about?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
My boss took us offroading in the romanian mountains as a sort of company getaway. Holy poo poo is offroading fun. Especially if you don't have to hold back because its not your car and your company is paying for all the damages!
Successfully managed to crack the front diff on a Vitara while being deep inside the woods way up in the mountains. Driving it back down the mountain on two wheel drive was pretty fun as well.

Im also pretty loving jealous of my bosses Samurai:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

xzzy posted:

url=https://flic.kr/p/25BQa2q]Blackhawks Farms Vintage Racing[/url] by xzzy77, on Flickr

Seeing old cars getting razzed around a track is always the tits. That last photo in particular.... Yes.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I have to say, I'm impressed.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/dominos-pizza-unveils-u-s-infrastructure-project-filling-potholes-130802630.html?guccounter=1

<insert joke about them wanting to 'save' pizza whilst churning out mediocre pizza>

We'll pave one half mile in 30 minutes or its free.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

fakeaccount posted:

I could never get into that one. I loved everything else but I just couldn't focus on baroque. What's it about?

About 2 books too long!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Seeing old cars getting razzed around a track is always the tits. That last photo in particular.... Yes.

Looks like the m8 vs the gt nowadays.

Chris Knight posted:

About 2 books too long!

The first one was so good. After that I just could not read them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

Awesome! There's a historic race taking place this weekend so hopefully it'll be as cool as that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fakeaccount posted:

I finished the first one and still can tell you what it’s about.

:v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Go take a look at that Volvo video on the facebook AI page. Holy loving poo poo.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Shai-Hulud posted:

My boss took us offroading in the romanian mountains as a sort of company getaway. Holy poo poo is offroading fun. Especially if you don't have to hold back because its not your car and your company is paying for all the damages!
Successfully managed to crack the front diff on a Vitara while being deep inside the woods way up in the mountains. Driving it back down the mountain on two wheel drive was pretty fun as well.

Im also pretty loving jealous of my bosses Samurai:

Y'all hiring?

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Go take a look at that Volvo video on the facebook AI page. Holy loving poo poo.

Last time someone posted a link to that page the link was broken for me. What's the name of the group?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

It's from the Passat that became the rear end end of that 996.

But why was the original engine destroyed by a driver's side door impact?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

davebo posted:

But why was the original engine destroyed by a driver's side door impact?

This happened with another 911 that ended up in LeMons. The engine was fine, but because of the repair costs, even for a dent like that, the car was written off. The engine gets taken out and dropped in another 911 (or parted out), and you're left with an empty husk of a car.

The other one mentioned ended up getting a VW turbo-diesel in it :v: