Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Shania Twain had more crossover success, and honestly, when someone says that they hate country, they're thinking of stuff like this. The New Country that popped up in the mid 90s. It's been discussed earlier, that after Grunge took over and drowned hair metal and most other rock in a shallow puddle, the producers and song writers that were so important in making those bands that ruled in the late 80s and early 90s moved to Nashville and helped develop a new crop of country singers that had a pop sensibility for crossover success.

Pour Some Sugarland On Me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

He was dead for two weeks when he was found. He was a decomposing 85-pound skeleton.

The only reason anyone went to see if he was okay was because his accountant noticed that he hadn't withdrawn any money to buy drugs for a couple of weeks, so he called Staley's former manager, and she called his mother, who called the police.

The dude was already hosed up by the time of the MTV Unplugged show, but then when his girlfriend died a few months after that he just got worse.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Random Middle School Dance Song for 90s kids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W5pq4bIzIw

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

behold, my eighth grade class song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDKO6XYXioc

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
What the gently caress is up with how some people's youtube links embed the video and some others' don't; do I have a wrong setting somewhere?

Anyway that Boyz II Men song is cool

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Boyz II Men was a decent old-time style r&b group

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

fast cars loose anus posted:

What the gently caress is up with how some people's youtube links embed the video and some others' don't; do I have a wrong setting somewhere?

Anyway that Boyz II Men song is cool

I think it doesn't embed the video if you're posting from a phone.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JediTalentAgent posted:

I don't think The Crow was as popular as expected when it released in theaters and around where I lived it took about a year or so for it start growing a larger cult popularity, and by the late 90s it was that entire South Park joke of, "I'm dressing as The Crow for Halloween" brought to life.

I do want to say that The Crow HAS been largely forgotten, I think, by a lot of modern audiences because the Heath Ledger Joker has supplanted it in the minds of a lot of audiences. Granted, not the same characters, but there are some shared elements between the characters and even the actors that played them.

I agree. I think The Crow was really just popular among edgy teens who were too young to actually buy their own tickets, plus it had a pretty iconic for the 90's soundtrack.

fast cars loose anus posted:

There's a BBcode tag for it. IF you're using a web browser it seems to do it automatically, but the Awful App doesn't.

Anyway here's a contribution:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7hJ4VzA0Yk

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Late response re: 90’s action flicks but I like to think Face-Off, Con-Air, and The Rock are in the same universe and if you watch them in the order I listed it all works.

If you just take The Rock as being “some time in the future” and Connery is an older Cage it really works.

dialhforhero has a new favorite as of 13:23 on Jun 19, 2018

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's an impressive performance when you realize he was basically ready to tip over and the rest of the band wasn't even sure he'd be there. It's also probably the last thing he ever really did of significance with the band. He recorded two songs for a box set type thing afterwards, but to give you an idea of how bad things got for him, when the band went on Rockline (which used to a fairly popular syndicated show that hipped me to a lot of stuff and probably deserves it's own post from someone more knowledgeable) to promote it, he ended up calling into the show and it clearly surprised the rest of the band and the host. I guess it could have been planned but given how incredibly hosed up his life got it's totally plausible.

Apparently when they found him, it was "Rookie officer in the corner puking his guts out" bad, guy's injection arm had gone gangrenous. He had a hell of a singing voice and was apparently really kind according to a lot of Seattle peers, his story was really sad. His mom had plenty to say about the ghouls who hung around Layne once he got famous in the excellent book Grunge is Dead by Greg Prato. Kurt Cobain had a similar issue. I know Mark Arm (Mudhoney, and a friend of Kurt's) says he wishes that when Kurt asked Mark how he got clean, he wished he'd have said "You have to take a break from all of this, and you have to ditch your junkie wife, too."

Maybe unfair to Courtney, but I kinda get it.

I still remember the day Layne Staley died like it was yesterday. Me and my friend Paul were making fun of the spanish kids with velcro shoes in 7th grade shop

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's an impressive performance when you realize he was basically ready to tip over and the rest of the band wasn't even sure he'd be there. It's also probably the last thing he ever really did of significance with the band. He recorded two songs for a box set type thing afterwards, but to give you an idea of how bad things got for him, when the band went on Rockline (which used to a fairly popular syndicated show that hipped me to a lot of stuff and probably deserves it's own post from someone more knowledgeable) to promote it, he ended up calling into the show and it clearly surprised the rest of the band and the host. I guess it could have been planned but given how incredibly hosed up his life got it's totally plausible.

Apparently when they found him, it was "Rookie officer in the corner puking his guts out" bad, guy's injection arm had gone gangrenous. He had a hell of a singing voice and was apparently really kind according to a lot of Seattle peers, his story was really sad. His mom had plenty to say about the ghouls who hung around Layne once he got famous in the excellent book Grunge is Dead by Greg Prato. Kurt Cobain had a similar issue. I know Mark Arm (Mudhoney, and a friend of Kurt's) says he wishes that when Kurt asked Mark how he got clean, he wished he'd have said "You have to take a break from all of this, and you have to ditch your junkie wife, too."

Maybe unfair to Courtney, but I kinda get it.

Apparently quite a few of the songs took several takes to do and its kind of obvious in that the session doesnt really flow well.. and well Layne is just so zonked out. Despite being a colossal Alice in Chains fan, I just cant listen to the unplugged session, it just kind of hurts to hear Layne barely hold it together.

Doesn't help that in contrast, Nirvana unplugged is one of the greatest live recordings ever done (all one take as well) and really is Nirvana's best "album" by an honest long shot. I can listen through that show on a road trip without any hassle, its just that good.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Unplugged version of Down in a Hole is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvLm_Hh7dq0

:smithcloud:

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Every graduation I went to in the 90's had this song. Including my own, for years afterwards this song was played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foyAOoVagWw

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flaggy posted:

Every graduation I went to in the 90's had this song. Including my own, for years afterwards this song was played.

this song came out when i was 20, and yet i have no memory of it :wtc:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

this song came out when i was 20, and yet i have no memory of it :wtc:

I remember that Vitamin C existed, that's all I remember.

Considering I graduated in 1999, this was my graduation song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rblt2EtFfC4

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

High school was better without phones and social media

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Quote-Unquote posted:

Alice in Chains Unplugged starts off really strong and is pretty amazing throughout but it's noticeable by the half way point that Layne was really not... well.
He takes off his sunglasses and he looks half dead.

It really shows during Over Now. He just looks lost...

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

High school was never good.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Laocius posted:

:yeah:

I mean I think I miss hanging out with my friends, but I had no money, no car, no liquor. Now I'm old and while all my friends have families and live in other states, I can do whatever I want whenever I want (well outside of normal business hours)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Laocius posted:

I'm just saying it was better, not good. I had AIM and ICQ but it wasn't really as pervasive as something like Facebook. I did hate high school though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Flaggy posted:

I was always wondering if that obvious ploy actually worked on anybody.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm just saying it was better, not good. I had AIM and ICQ but it wasn't really as pervasive as something like Facebook. I did hate high school though.

I graduated HS in 2006, and AIM was still the hotness. Myspace was on its way out and Facebook still required a .edu email address.

Youtube was just becoming a thing. Most of our plans were made on awkward phone keyboards or through AIM.

High school ruled for me. I got to see all my friends everyday. My parents gave me a rinky-dink Suzuki Samurai to roll around in. I had to pay for my own gas, beer, and weed. I managed a pool and basically just cruised through school earning B's.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Here's some fuckin' 90s. The school I graduated from would have an annual big music concert, it was always hyped up and eagerly awaited.

First year, the lineup was Dropkick Murphys, The Amazing Royal Crowns (back when they could still legally call themselves that), Bim Skala Bim, and Mighty Mighty Bosstones. So that places it square in like, what, 1998? Right around the time of the swing revival and the peak of third-wave ska. Show was amazing.

The following year?

Better Than Ezra.

So few tickets were sold that they had to cancel the show. Busta Rhymes was the replacement act.

Show was amazing. Way better than Better Than Ezra.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phanatic posted:

Here's some fuckin' 90s. The school I graduated from would have an annual big music concert, it was always hyped up and eagerly awaited.

First year, the lineup was Dropkick Murphys, The Amazing Royal Crowns (back when they could still legally call themselves that), Bim Skala Bim, and Mighty Mighty Bosstones. So that places it square in like, what, 1998? Right around the time of the swing revival and the peak of third-wave ska. Show was amazing.

The following year?

Better Than Ezra.

So few tickets were sold that they had to cancel the show. Busta Rhymes was the replacement act.

Show was amazing. Way better than Better Than Ezra.

So they thought a one hit wonder from three or four years earlier would attract the kids? (Better Than Ezra, obvs)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the most 90s of all the 90s ska bands was one called I Voted for Kodos, whose first album came out in 1999 and included a song about how much they wished they could be Reel Big Fish.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

So they thought a one hit wonder from three or four years earlier would attract the kids? (Better Than Ezra, obvs)

Hey! In the Blood was much better than Good

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Mu Zeta posted:

I very much remember girls playing with their Tamagochi in class.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I had a FIFA World Cup 1998 official tie-in Tamagotchi.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

All this music talk just reminds me how loving weird my childhood was, where I didn't really listen to "modern" (or any) music until Napster/Shareazza was a thing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wheat Loaf posted:

Pour Some Sugarland On Me

When someone makes a doc about the birth of New Country, this is what it should be called. if they do, you should sue them.
And I remembered why i was familar with Garth Brooks, he was always a great Conan guest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cH-E5DhGMs

Reel Big Fish reminds me that they were the band that was in the Stadium in Baseketball.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHQrDlhnl_I
Probably one of the better things they have done, this scene always cracks me up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WD9MVTfdjs

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the most 90s of all the 90s ska bands was one called I Voted for Kodos, whose first album came out in 1999 and included a song about how much they wished they could be Reel Big Fish.

I don't know, if it wasn't for their recent popularity as a kids' show I would say the most 90's ska band was The Aquabats. Reel Big Fish comes in close second though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The only thing more 90s than being Reel Big Fish is wanting to be Reel Big Fish.

(disclaimer: I don't dislike Reel Big Fish)

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Is saying Nirvana's Man Who Sold the World is better than Bowie's still usually treated like a hate crime, now that he's been dead a couple years?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pneub posted:

Is saying Nirvana's Man Who Sold the World is better than Bowie's still usually treated like a hate crime, now that he's been dead a couple years?

I've never heard it but I'm not a fan of Nirvana. I say yes but I'm going to go listen to it now to confirm.

Edit: okay that was pretty solid and not awful at all

Double edit: MY OPINION MATTERS

:goonsay:

Len has a new favorite as of 01:55 on Jun 20, 2018

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Wheat Loaf posted:

Just playing off of RBF having a couple of songs about wanting to be No Doubt, including This 'interpretation' of Morrissey's We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
90s to 2000s wasn't 9/11. It was when Nirvana You Know You're Right released imo.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I'd probably say this only of 3rd wave, second and first were... Ah poo poo. Trap sprung.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I never saw Bill Nye but I discovered that he did music parodies, including this Morissey Parody
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yuSuQEHjC0

Like....that could be Weird Al for its pitch perfect parody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

This song never fails to snap me back to awkward middle school dances

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9HGwRbMiVY