Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

Canadians do come down, buy our cheap stuff, and toss their old clothes so they don't have to pay as much duty. Thing is it's not that much, and how would you even enforce that?

Or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Casimir Radon posted:

Canadians do come down, buy our cheap stuff, and toss their old clothes so they don't have to pay as much duty. Thing is it's not that much, and how would you even enforce that?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I always love how that scene ends with the guard saying "it happened again!"

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

facialimpediment posted:

Trump is a bullshitter constantly pushing the boundaries of the bullshit he can get away with.

Nobody important has ever given him any consequences for making up bullshit like that, so he just makes poo poo up.

But is that actually a thing Trump said because I really can’t tell anymore

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Soulex posted:

That's probably the lack of sleep.

See, I was just looking out for you.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

boop the snoot posted:

But is that actually a thing Trump said because I really can’t tell anymore

Yes, to the members of the National Federation of Independent Businesses earlier today.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Virginia's Governor is withdrawing Guard helicopter crews from the US-Mexico Border

http://www.richmond.com/news/virgin...4ccffe778b.html

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Trump says Canadians are crossing the border, buying shoes and scuffing them up to smuggle back into Canada.

Its not the mental illness that makes me laugh, but the bizarre roads it takes him down

Ah yes, I believe that’s called a Québécois Foot Locker.”

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

psydude posted:

CBP doesn't even enforce most customs duties at the airport. Strictly speaking, you aren't allowed to carry more than one liter of booze into the US duty free, and yet people roll through all the time with a ton of it.]

Wait why the gently caress would I be bringing booze INTO the USA :psyduck:

Did you mistype or am I missing something? Booze is cheap like rear end in the USA compared to here.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mister Sinewave posted:

Did you mistype or am I missing something? Booze is cheap like rear end in the USA compared to here.

Higher Alcohol content probably.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta

Mister Sinewave posted:

I go to China once or twice a year to see family and always bring back baijiu because it's impossible to find in the States. Some Japanese whiskey are also hard to find.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

CommieGIR posted:

Virginia's Governor is withdrawing Guard helicopter crews from the US-Mexico Border

Oh hell yeah. Wanna rub this kind of thing in the faces of the nothing matters crew that wouldn't shut the gently caress up during the 2017 election.

Mister Sinewave posted:

I buy scotch, really cheap, whenever I go to the UK. They've waved me through with 10 bottles, I doubt they care unless they think you're reselling.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Cuban booze is a big one.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Ah yes, I believe that’s called a Québécois Foot Locker.”

I thought that was the thing with the French speaking prostitute, bondage and footplay?

Remind me in September to bring up work stuff...

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

"It's like the air force, but no airplanes. Also, you do a lot of IT work" is the worst possible recruitment sales pitch.

Lmao at this being the exact definition of my unit

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

They can't drive for poo poo on I5

Neither can we.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

not caring here posted:

Cuban booze is a big one.

Genuine russian Stoli and 100 proof Mexican rum as well.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

You bring in things that are different but normally not in quantity, thats probably why CBP doesn't care much.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

https://twitter.com/GovLarryHogan/status/1009092153526702080

Maryland too. I got a laugh out of "4 crew members and a helicopter" though.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

joat mon posted:

Yes, to the members of the National Federation of Independent Businesses earlier today.

For some reason I’m actually kind of shocked

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

sharknado slashfic posted:

https://twitter.com/GovLarryHogan/status/1009092153526702080

Maryland too. I got a laugh out of "4 crew members and a helicopter" though.

For the unaware, Hogan is a Republican governor in a very blue state. He's likely going to get re-elected this year since he's pretty much avoided being what passes for a typical republican these days.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

For the unaware, Hogan is a Republican governor in a very blue state. He's likely going to get re-elected this year since he's pretty much avoided being what passes for a typical republican these days.

Yup, he knows his audience.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/whsvnews/status/1009093581112569857?s=21

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Good people on both sides?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

hobbesmaster posted:

You bring in things that are different but normally not in quantity, thats probably why CBP doesn't care much.

I guess that makes sense, we were taking about Canadian cross border shoppers & I was just remembering seeing literal made in Canada booze on the shelf right alongside all the same stuff I see on shelves back home, except all for way cheaper & wondered what Canadians would possibly be bringing into the US when it came to booze.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Handsome Ralph posted:

See Massachusetts governor for the same.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

Yellow Spot is €55 in Dublin versus $120 in the US. As mentioned, Japanese whiskey is much cheaper in Japan. And most scotches are much cheaper in the UK/EU.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

The R next to his name may be enough to sink him. Hogan should just switch parties or go independent at this point. He really doesn't resemble any sort of Republican currently in national government, including MD's own whack job Republican representative from the Eastern Shore.

I voted for Ben Jealous in the primary. I like Hogan, but I can't really abide by anyone serving in office who identifies with the Republican party. Same thing goes for the Howard County executive, who, like Hogan, got elected in a deep blue area during the 2014 Republican wave.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ooooo this is good.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

psydude posted:

Yellow Spot is €55 in Dublin versus $120 in the US. As mentioned, Japanese whiskey is much cheaper in Japan. And most scotches are much cheaper in the UK/EU.

Booze prices vary widely in the US. I pick up Yellow Spot for less than $80 here...

Quick Edit: Just looked it up $82.99 at the local spot.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Or something like that.

Isn't that the CA/NV state line

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

jerman999 posted:

I go to China once or twice a year to see family and always bring back baijiu because it's impossible to find in the States. Some Japanese whiskey are also hard to find.

why would you drink baiju when you could have literally any other liquor

that poo poo tastes like gasoline

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The little husband-and-wife German bar down the street from me used to give out shots of sliwowitz to anyone that did it without a chaser.

I may be why they went out of business.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

shame on an IGA posted:

Isn't that the CA/NV state line

It's the CA/AZ state line too.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

psydude posted:

The R next to his name may be enough to sink him. Hogan should just switch parties or go independent at this point. He really doesn't resemble any sort of Republican currently in national government, including MD's own whack job Republican representative from the Eastern Shore.

I voted for Ben Jealous in the primary. I like Hogan, but I can't really abide by anyone serving in office who identifies with the Republican party. Same thing goes for the Howard County executive, who, like Hogan, got elected in a deep blue area during the 2014 Republican wave.
Oh I totally agree.

I moved to VA since the last election but have been following the race at a glance, are any of the candidates better than Brown? Cause I mean if you wanted a sneak preview the 2016 election (Candidate who thinks he has the race in the bag and becomes super smug about the race before he "wins"), that was it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

hahaha owned so hard it has to be a violation of the 13th

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Oh I totally agree.

I moved to VA since the last election but have been following the race at a glance, are any of the candidates better than Brown? Cause I mean if you wanted a sneak preview the 2016 election (Candidate who thinks he has the race in the bag and becomes super smug about the race before he "wins"), that was it.

Neither of the leading candidates has connections to O'Malley. Jealous was the head of the NAACP and has been a political activist for his whole life. Rushearn Baker was the PG County executive, which is turning a lot of people off given PG County's storied history of having some of the most corrupt government officials in the region.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

psydude posted:

Neither of the leading candidates has connections to O'Malley. Jealous was the head of the NAACP and has been a political activist for his whole life. Rushearn Baker was the PG County executive, which is turning a lot of people off given PG County's storied history of having some of the most corrupt government officials in the region.

Ah yeah, I had heard about the PG County guy. Not much about Jealous though. I'll look him up.

Any reason Heather Mizeur didn't run again this time?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

Ah yeah, I had heard about the PG County guy. Not much about Jealous though. I'll look him up.

Any reason Heather Mizeur didn't run again this time?

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/08/618233035/all-jokes-aside-dave-chappelle-stumps-for-democratic-maryland-governors-candidat

Dave Chapelle likes him for whatever that's worth

quote:

"I really attribute it to being here now," he said. "And I think as a leader, as an organizer ... this man is excellent. I wouldn't lie to you; I'd stake my whole reputation on it," Chappelle said.

However

quote:

The Washington Post-University of Maryland Poll found that the man Baker and Jealous are trying to unseat is immensely popular, despite being a Republican in a traditionally blue state.

The poll found that among all adults surveyed, Hogan enjoys a 71 percent approval rating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1009179445289107456

welp

I got nothing. Fuckin :laffo: if you're still in, I don't even want to think about what you'll end up doing.

• Locked thread