Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
West007
Apr 21, 2013

Looks like Leno to Arse for 22m€ is happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
always preferred letterman

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
So it looks like Arsenal are getting a CM, a defender, and a keeper. That’s probably about as good as could be expected. Now I just hope these players are actually good.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
sokratis is done but they are waiting till july to announce (supposedly)

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Also need a winger. Why not lodge a cheeky bid for Brandt while you're negotiating with Leverkusen anyway? Also, two of those signings are very underwhelming - none of my regular Bundesliga-watching friends rate Leno, and Sokratis just sucks.

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

Who was the CM linked with Arsenal?

Also iirc they also picked up Lichtsteiner already.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wengy posted:

Also need a winger. Why not lodge a cheeky bid for Brandt while you're negotiating with Leverkusen anyway? Also, two of those signings are very underwhelming - none of my regular Bundesliga-watching friends rate Leno, and Sokratis just sucks.

Brandt? gently caress that poo poo. Reiss Nelson.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mickolution posted:

Seems like there will be a lot of teams scrambling for players after the World Cup, considering the window closes on August 9th this year.

That's the worry. With Jose pottering about Russia being a pundit and Woodward being Woodward, I'm not exactly overflowing with confidence. If United go into the season with Ashley Young and Antonio Valencia as their number one fullback choices, someone needs to be shot.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Myssu posted:

Torreira, Telegraph is saying it's close. Lichtsteiner is official already, yes.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/06/18/arsenal-close-bernd-leno-lucas-torreira-48m-double-signing/

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Myssu posted:

Lucas Torreira

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Maddison having a medical at Leicester, 22m + add ons. Feel like we could have held out for more.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Blue Star Error posted:

Maddison having a medical at Leicester, 22m + add ons. Feel like we could have held out for more.

I'm not sure any of the big spenders showed serious interest, sadly for your lot.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Der Shovel posted:

That's the worry. With Jose pottering about Russia being a pundit and Woodward being Woodward, I'm not exactly overflowing with confidence. If United go into the season with Ashley Young and Antonio Valencia as their number one fullback choices, someone needs to be shot.

Yeah but maybe they'll be too distracted to sell Martial :unsmith:

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

tarbrush posted:

I'm not sure any of the big spenders showed serious interest, sadly for your lot.

He'll be at a big club eventually so hopefully there's a big sell on %

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Blue Star Error posted:

I’m happy about this. Leicester getting a good amount of business done early this year.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/WestHamUtd/status/1009118620247445504?s=19

Diop to West Ham is a DONE DEAL with Fabianski close as well

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Arsenal have announced a bunch of staff changes. Bould is staying as co-assistant, which seems a bit weird.

https://www.arsenal.com/news/first-team-coaching-staff-confirmed

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Jens chimped out on Twitter about getting axed.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Leno to Arsenal is a done deal hes a good but not quite great keeper who plateaued a bit. Arsenal should be a good fit and we already got a replacement who I rate about as good as him
https://twitter.com/bayer04fussball/status/1009142182501068801?s=09

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
hopefully poaching all those goalkeeping coaches pays off

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I am glad that there is someone coming in at GK, couldn't have expected they'd try for anyone bigger since they are such hot commodities.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

General Probe posted:

Leno to Arsenal is a done deal hes a good but not quite great keeper who plateaued a bit. Arsenal should be a good fit and we already got a replacement who I rate about as good as him
https://twitter.com/bayer04fussball/status/1009142182501068801?s=09

idk I think Arsenal might have really got bernd on this one

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It remains to be seen if these players are actually any good, but it's incredible that we're less than two months post-Wenger and have already made all the signings he refused to make.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bonus pic of Leno holding a shirt whilst wearing a shirt for some reason :psyduck:

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
HeyLeno

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Is Irish international Stephen Gleeson any good? He's just signed for us

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Wilshere has posted an essay on social media confirming he is leaving Arsenal. States the reason is no guarantee of regular playing time.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
If his legs weren't essentially glass covered by paper-mache then he'd likely be guaranteed more playing time. No one doubts his ability, but he's simply injured too often. Guess Ozil will finally get #10 after supposedly coveting it for awhile now?

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Shoren posted:

If his legs weren't essentially glass covered by paper-mache then he'd likely be guaranteed more playing time. No one doubts his ability, but he's simply injured too often. Guess Ozil will finally get #10 after supposedly coveting it for awhile now?

He never achieved his potential, perhaps from injuries, whatever... but not good enough to tell him "you're one of the 11". He was a squad player who would get a lot of subs and a few starts at best.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Wilshere has posted an essay on social media confirming he is leaving Arsenal. States the reason is no guarantee of regular playing time.

quote:

I can confirm that I will be leaving Arsenal Football Club when my contract expires at the end of June.

Following a number of extensive conversations with those at the club, and in particular a recent meeting with the new manager, Unai Emery, I felt that I was ultimately left with little choice but to make the decision that I have due to purely footballing reasons.

As has widely been reported I, along with my representative, have been in talks with the club for a number of months with the view to signing a new contract to extend my stay at the Emirates.

My intention throughout these discussions has always been to remain an Arsenal player. I have been on the books at Arsenal for 17 years and have always felt part of the fabric of the club. Such was my desire to stay that I had in fact recently agreed to sign a financially reduced contract in order to commit my future to the club.

However, following my meeting with the new manager I was made aware that although the reduced contract offer remained, it was made clear to me that my playing time would be significantly reduced should I decide to stay.

I am sure everyone can understand that at this point in my life and career I need to be playing regular first team football and following my meeting with Mr Emery I came away feeling that it would be very difficult for me to do so at Arsenal.

Given this, I feel I have no option but to pursue other opportunities in order to progress my career on the pitch.

I have experienced some incredible times at Arsenal and have met friends that will last a lifetime. I leave with memories that will stay with me forever from my time at the club. From making my debut at such a young age, to playing in the Champions League and of course winning two FA Cups in consecutive seasons, there are just too many highlights to mention.

There will be the opportunity to talk properly when the time is right but for now I would just like to thank everyone at the club for everything over the past 17 years, in particular Arsene Wenger and his staff, all of my teammates over the years, everyone at the Academy for helping me to fulfil my dream and of course the fans, who I have always shared such a special relationship with. I will never be able to truly repay the love, faith and belief that the fans have always shown in me. It’s meant so much to me and my family over the years and I hope you are able to celebrate the success you deserve in the coming years. Thank you.

I would like to place on record my respect for Mr Emery and my appreciation for his honesty and candor, and I wish him, the team and the club all the very best for the future.

I’m feeling fit, sharp and strong and will be working tirelessly to ensure I am in peak condition ahead of the new season.

I’ll now be taking the time necessary to consider my options before deciding on the next stage of my career.

JW

I can confirm that I am crying.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

He’s shite. Gareth knew.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

T Bowl posted:

He never achieved his potential, perhaps from injuries, whatever... but not good enough to tell him "you're one of the 11". He was a squad player who would get a lot of subs and a few starts at best.

Yeah, he actually stays somewhat healthy these days. He's just not that good. At best he's a starter for a bottom of the table team. I hope he can make up for the lost years, but he shouldn't really be doing it at Arsenal.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Anyone who is asking for guarantees play time is a bitch. He wanted out and is trying real hard to not be a villain. No ill will, but I’m not broken up about it. I’d like to think this means we will look for another midfielder, but that is probably being too hopeful.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Torreira and Maitland-Niles, I doubt anyone else comes in.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
maybe he should guarantee his own playing time by being good at football and not having broken pieces of old dog turds for legs

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Wilshere doesnt have a body type compatible with the modern game where you run 10k per match

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Fabianski to West Ham tomorrow. All of Swansea's goalkeeping coaches have left in the last couple of days (dogshit Arsenal old boy fraud Tony Roberts to China with Coleman, the development coach to Orlando Pirates) except Gerhard Tremmel maybe but I don't think he has his badges.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Torreira and Maitland-Niles, I doubt anyone else comes in.

Wenger isn't around anymore. Maybe this will change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Gigi Galli posted:

Wenger isn't around anymore. Maybe this will change?

Seems like too many central midfielders IMO. Especially when we have zero actual wingers, I'd rather see that position addressed.

• Locked thread