Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I had an E5 try to tell me that it's perfectly normal to be mid-20s and have really bad knees and that I should stop being such a puss just because I had one shoulder surgery and wanted to get out.

Screw that guy. One of my buddies was medically retired at 24 because the army messed up his knees, and then the army surgeon finished the destruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I can't remember the exact thing he had wrong but one of my soldiers kept going to get one of his legs checked out and they would just give him a profile and then when he started running again the pain would start back up.

Almost a year later he made it to a real doctor who told him that if he had seen him when it first started and identified the real problem he could have made a complete recovery. He ended up loving his leg up even more because it took so long which required surgery to fix.

Army medicine is terrifying. Or maybe JBLM healthcare just sucks.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Well, you know how the army gets doctors, right? They go to med schools and find the idiots who can't pay their bills. Then offer to pay their bills for a few years service.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

Well, you know how the army gets doctors college grads, right? They go to med schools and find the idiots who can't pay their bills. Then offer to pay their bills for a few years service.

Fixed

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

spacetoaster posted:

Screw that guy. One of my buddies was medically retired at 24 because the army messed up his knees, and then the army surgeon finished the destruction.

Army doctors ignored radiologists notes that I had a torn labrum in my hip and insisted I had nerve damage in scar tissue nearby instead and shoved me full of effexor, all sorts of various anti-inflammatories, radiofrequency ablasion, and other poo poo I can't remember that obviously didn't work because I have a torn labrum.

VA doctors were pretty quick to ignore that also. First civilian doctor I saw 6 years and multiple MRIs that also showed my torn labrum later was immediately like "yeah you have a torn labrum." Thanks, Tripler AMC!

e: i wasn't even in the army yet the greeny weenie found me nevertheless.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Mustang posted:

I can't remember the exact thing he had wrong but one of my soldiers kept going to get one of his legs checked out and they would just give him a profile and then when he started running again the pain would start back up.

Almost a year later he made it to a real doctor who told him that if he had seen him when it first started and identified the real problem he could have made a complete recovery. He ended up loving his leg up even more because it took so long which required surgery to fix.

This pretty much covers what happened to me. I tore my acl, crushed the cartilage, and other assorted funness in both my knees and ankles. I was told it was a sprain, got a two week dead man, then was going back to running 2-5 miles a day. My knees are just hosed (I've seen 17 orthos, and had 7 different serious medical procedures. There isn't a fix anymore, according to the docs).

There is a reason we can't sue Army medicine.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

spacetoaster posted:

I had an doc forget to give my antibiotics after a surgery. The scar is gnarly because naturally it got infected.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mustang posted:

No. It sucks. I was medboarded for some issues and they are just NOW figuring out that a herniated disk is causing this. Like, wouldn't an MRI years ago have saved me years of pain and bullshit?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soulex posted:

No. It sucks. I was medboarded for some issues and they are just NOW figuring out that a herniated disk is causing this. Like, wouldn't an MRI years ago have saved me years of pain and bullshit?

Thank you for your service.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Soulex posted:

In addition to army medicine woes, back problems in general are still just voodoo magical mysteries to modern medicine. It's among the most common complaints in modern nations' health systems, and no one can seem to come up with a good solution other than "try to stay fit/active, and don't get yourself hurt in the first place!"

That said, I've definitely seen some cost-saving info signs placed up in various hospitals, such as saying some very high percentage of people recover from back pain through physical therapy and don't need MRIs. That may be empirically true, but it's annoying to see when you're one of the lucky ones who really properly hosed themselves up at a young age doing army poo poo.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I was mechanized and ~15 months of doing SUMMA DAT GRUNT poo poo screwed up my knee, back, and shoulders. Independent of my combat injuries, just Army being Army caused it.

I was in from 18-21. I didn't start to fall apart until 26 or so. Now I'm 33 and I've got more city miles than a 45 year old.

But I'm sure Airbone Italy Man is right and he'll bounce right back without any long term dibilitating problems.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
So a good friend of mine is looking at commissioning into either the Army or Air Guard. I’m a Lt in the Air Guard, so I’ve been talking that up. But it’s been amazing the difference in how the recruiters do their job. He’s had a tough time getting in touch with Air Guard recruiters in the different New England states, while the Army recruiter was trying to get him into the office that afternoon.

I feel like I’m fighting a losing battle, especially because of how hard it is for a civilian to get an officer slot in the Air Guard, but I’m trying my best. I feel like I should just get him an account and tell him to read this thread. Probably won’t help though.

Also, we’re both in our early 30’s. At least I had 7 years prior service before I commissioned. He’d be a 33-34 year old 2nd Lt. I don’t envy that.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Being a 2LT in the guard/reserves actually seems like a pretty cake gig in general. I can only assume it requires a bit more "off the clock" work throughout the month rather than just the scheduled weekend warrior poo poo... But both of the LT's I had in my cav scout platoon pretty much were in "meetings" or doing some planning poo poo and never seemed to be in the realm of training that we were, which usually meant they weren't tired by the end of the weekend.

I dunno, seems like an easy way to make some money and work towards that guard retirement pay.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Nice and hot piss posted:

Being a 2LT in the guard/reserves actually seems like a pretty cake gig in general. I can only assume it requires a bit more "off the clock" work throughout the month rather than just the scheduled weekend warrior poo poo... But both of the LT's I had in my cav scout platoon pretty much were in "meetings" or doing some planning poo poo and never seemed to be in the realm of training that we were, which usually meant they weren't tired by the end of the weekend.

I dunno, seems like an easy way to make some money and work towards that guard retirement pay.

I’m a civil engineer officer, and my two years as a 2d Lt was probably the most fun I’ve had between AD/Guard. I’d spend most drill weekends attending a few weekends, and then hanging out with all the shops, learning what their jobs entailed. I was usually on my own or with the other CGO’s in my squadron, with little to no oversight over what we did.

I managed to get picked to lead a team of about a dozen guys down to PR for a month last fall for hurricane response as a 2d Lt, and that really opened my eyes to how much better quality of life is for us over the Army. We had our own Air Force tent in a tent city of about 300 soldiers. The army Lt Col in charge didn’t give a poo poo about us, and allowed me to make whatever rules I wanted for my guys.

Army locked on camp, not allowed to drink, and in uniform 24/7? Cool, my guys can drink, wear civilian clothes after 3ish, and take one of our rental cars to sightsee when they didn’t have work to do. As long as we kept the generators working and AC blowing, the Army liked us.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
This thread reminds me of a classic scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b07887ZzKiw

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 19, 2018

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

pkells posted:

I’m a civil engineer officer, and my two years as a 2d Lt was probably the most fun I’ve had between AD/Guard. I’d spend most drill weekends attending a few weekends, and then hanging out with all the shops, learning what their jobs entailed. I was usually on my own or with the other CGO’s in my squadron, with little to no oversight over what we did.

I managed to get picked to lead a team of about a dozen guys down to PR for a month last fall for hurricane response as a 2d Lt, and that really opened my eyes to how much better quality of life is for us over the Army. We had our own Air Force tent in a tent city of about 300 soldiers. The army Lt Col in charge didn’t give a poo poo about us, and allowed me to make whatever rules I wanted for my guys.

Army locked on camp, not allowed to drink, and in uniform 24/7? Cool, my guys can drink, wear civilian clothes after 3ish, and take one of our rental cars to sightsee when they didn’t have work to do. As long as we kept the generators working and AC blowing, the Army liked us.

Half my guard company deployed to PR. It was almost 3 weeks of them on orders sitting in an armory to secure a flight down, then when they got there they floated around living in the back of an lmtv for almost 2 weeks before they had a location to set up. They didn't get laundry service until they were nearly ready to return 3 weeks in, and all of them got sick from the food. Their return orders came same day so it was a mad rush to get everything taken down and move out.

I'm so glad I didn't get pulled from the middle of that semester to do that poo poo.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vahakyla posted:

Nah. My italian surgeon says if I wanna be retarded I can jump again in October-ish after my 9 month recovery.

You’re either an elaborate IDR level troll or you’re the dumbest motherfucker I’ve ever seen. Even Donald loving Trump would probably know not to touch the hot stove twice, and you’re talking about slapping your ballsack on it.

I can’t believe I ever rooted for you.

Idiot.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

You’re either an elaborate IDR level troll or you’re the dumbest motherfucker I’ve ever seen. Even Donald loving Trump would probably know not to touch the hot stove twice, and you’re talking about slapping your ballsack on it.

I can’t believe I ever rooted for you.

Idiot.

He wanted to be airborne infantry from the get right? Instead he ended up as babydoc. Don't get me wrong I want the same poo poo but I got no illusions how its gonna turn out. gently caress the airborne after reading this poo poo lmao.

"Yeah man I can jump in 9 months and become christopher reeve irl. Love the army, love italia." You brokebrained loving fin. Didn't you just like have a motorcycle accident too? Take better care of yourself and survive your stint you dumb motherfucker.

e: Like seriously, you're like the luckiest nerd on the planet to have gotten what you wanted, ended up in Italy, and somehow, even with bad poo poo happening to you, gotten taken care of. Who the gently caress are you to ruin yourself physically on purpose because you can't give yourself a bit more time to heal up. gently caress that 9 month recovery time, gently caress that eagerness to jump and break yourself off even more. Go get your italian doc to hook you up with some more recovery time and pace yourself, you got an whole enlistment to complete without becoming a cripple. You'll jump again shitbird, what's the rush?

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 19, 2018

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Nah, I had the symptoms pop up during a motorcycle ride. I wasn’t very cohesive when I wrote that back in the day. Had a partial chute collapse in mid december, couldn’t get up right away, but shrugged it off, and I wasn’t seen by anyone, then early january had, what then seemed like, viral gastroenteritis since I was puking, was seen in hospital, and then on following days I was still hosed up, and was sent back home on quarters, and then while driving home with my bike, had immense pain, and made it to my living room floor, and from there eventually just couldn’t really get up, move my legs or control my bladder, and when I eventually made it to my bed with assistance, was unable to move, and I had an ambulance to Ospedale San Bortolo where I ended up havibg surgery. I was on con leave for month and half, then light duty at clinic until first week of june, when I returned to my unit but still dead man profile that prohibits everything. It’s until september 20 or something like that.

It’s all the same event.
I just have zero interest in the real world, and I don’t want permament profile for my future commissioning hopes, so I’m riding this ride.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 19, 2018

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
That's one of the dumbest things I've ever read

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You're a retard you brokebrained green weenie sucking moron. The army ruined you and you keep asking for more. You don't even have and endgame or goal.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I’m going to leave from the military with a retirement. Hopefully in 18 years.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Vahakyla posted:

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever read

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I have zero loving interest in working until I die wiggling away in some lovely company, wondering if my family loses health insurance tomorrow if I get fired.

gently caress all that. I want to be relatively young still, and travel with my wife and live a modest life free of work.

I enjoy the military, and I have an easy time excelling.

I can’t even begin to think what would’ve happened to me in a private company with my injury, or what would have happened to my wife’s elevated medical needs.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Dude, you're gonna end up trapped in a wheel chair.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Boy are you in for some surprises then.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
None of that will happen, you're going to be medboarded within 24 months :toxx:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
what the gently caress, man

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

You're going to be physically broken long before that or you'll be dead when a real war happens and you actually have to do SUMMADATGRUNTSHIT, also long before that.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

You're going to get a poo poo-rear end medical one in eighteen months.

I hope you didn't renounce your Finnish citizenship, because you're going to need some quality healthcare and you're not affording that on your E-4 51% disability paycheck.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

redneck nazgul posted:

You're going to get a poo poo-rear end medical one in eighteen months.

I hope you didn't renounce your Finnish citizenship, because you're going to need some quality healthcare and you're not affording that on your E-4 51% disability paycheck.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

pkells posted:

I was a reserve engineer officer. I showed up to my first unit right after they got back from Iraq so they were rebuilding after everyone PCSed due to promotion or ETS. We were in the field almost every drill weekend, but my platoon was full of good dudes and my first PSG was great (my second one was terrible). The first sergeant was one of the best NCOs I met in the Army, the CO was an awesome dude who deployed with them to Iraq the first time in 03 as an E6 and then went to direct commission.

It was a pretty easy job and a great environment. Then me, one of the other PLs, and a few of the equipment operators got transferred to a unit that was deploying to Afghanistan, where my hopes and dreams concerning the Army were crushed into a bitter, cynical husk.

psydude fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 19, 2018

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

I have zero loving interest in working until I die wiggling away in some lovely company, wondering if my family loses health insurance tomorrow if I get fired.

gently caress all that. I want to be relatively young still, and travel with my wife and live a modest life free of work.

I enjoy the military, and I have an easy time excelling.

I can’t even begin to think what would’ve happened to me in a private company with my injury, or what would have happened to my wife’s elevated medical needs.

You're the military's target audience. Stupid and afraid of what's out there. I'll see you in a couple of years, if your body holds up that long.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

The US Healthcare system is broken as gently caress but I think you have a lot of misconceptions about both it as well as working a job in the civilian world. Not every job is a soul sucking 9-5 slog with no meaning and an employer that's just looking for an excuse to fire you in the worst imaginable fashion to ruin your life and a health insurance provider that only has a stamp that says "DENY".

As someone with chronic severe back pain that I didn't get anywhere near the military, you're loving crazy.

Edit: couldn't you gently caress off back to Finland with your family and not have to worry about that anyways? :confused:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

shortspecialbus posted:

The US Healthcare system is broken as gently caress but I think you have a lot of misconceptions about both it as well as working a job in the civilian world. Not every job is a soul sucking 9-5 slog with no meaning and an employer that's just looking for an excuse to fire you in the worst imaginable fashion to ruin your life and a health insurance provider that only has a stamp that says "DENY".

As someone with chronic severe back pain that I didn't get anywhere near the military, you're loving crazy.

Edit: couldn't you gently caress off back to Finland with your family and not have to worry about that anyways? :confused:

Many of those soul sucking 9-5 jobs that will fire you at the drop of a hat are in government contracting, specifically supporting the military.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Finland is always my fall back if my life would go dramatically altered.

However the amount of money I am TSPing away, and can get with eventual retirement, is insane. I’d never, besides some gross tech bro jobs, would have the faintest chance of retiring at potential age of 46 in Finland.

The last few bastions of American fixed-service term pensions are just amazingly great opportunities and the Army shields me from the otherwise terrible parts of american society. I can retire early with my wife if we stay on track with this with our IRAs and TSP, and it’s just too tempting to pass. Not only that but so far I just really like the Army.

In Finland, no one who works regular careers retires before 62. Not even soldiers, cops, or firemen. Granted, they don’t get ground to dust either, but anyway. I don’t wanna work for the rest of my life.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

I don’t wanna work for the rest of my life.

At this rate, don't worry about it.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Vahakyla posted:

Finland is always my fall back if my life would go dramatically altered.

However the amount of money I am TSPing away, and can get with eventual retirement, is insane. I’d never, besides some gross tech bro jobs, would have the faintest chance of retiring at potential age of 46 in Finland.

The last few bastions of American fixed-service term pensions are just amazingly great opportunities and the Army shields me from the otherwise terrible parts of american society. I can retire early with my wife if we stay on track with this with our IRAs and TSP, and it’s just too tempting to pass. Not only that but so far I just really like the Army.

In Finland, no one retires before 62. Not even soldiers, cops, or firemen. Granted, they don’t get ground to dust either, but anyway. I don’t wanna work for the rest of my life.

Can you at least do me a solid and get the gently caress out of being a line medic attached to the airborne? I dunno what you army cats call C school but whatever advanced medical training you can put in for, go for it. X-Ray tech, surgical tech, etc. Anything that has credentials applicable to the outside for whenever this poo poo gets real to you. Have a Plan B or C ready man.

Or gently caress it go full retard and go for selection, and properly prepare for that poo poo too. But gently caress just hanging around where you're at.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Death before re-enlistment. I have no interest in medic stuff. I’ll wrap up the rest of my career as an O. I have civilian Fire 1, USAR, Tech Rescue, Diver, EMT certs so a fireman would be a stop gap option.

I’m just making sure that I can switch over and have for example no P2 profile slapped onto me.

Realistically, my airborne career will wrap up with this Italy assignment since.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I would kill for 9-5 "slog" rather than showing up at 0545 doing some dumbass Army PT and then spending my day putting out dumb Army dumpster fires until 1900.

Look at what post PL LTs and above on the officer side do in BCTs. Nothing I do is particularly hard but it's a mountain of poo poo to do that relentlessly gets bigger and bigger.