Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As I've mentioned before, I was actually very surprised when Claremont said he viewed Kitty and Rachel as a couple because I never got that vibe, even from Excalibur (and I've read all of Claremont's run on Excalibur). I always assumed he was writing Kitty and Illyana as a couple based on how he wrote them in UXM and (to a lesser extent) New Mutants. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I always assumed he was writing Kitty and Illyana as a couple based on how he wrote them in UXM and (to a lesser extent) New Mutants. :shrug:

That was Claremont's shtick in the 80's, where he would point to two women and go "They were CLOSER than FRIENDS... CLOSER than SISTERS... nothing could EVER tear them APART!!!" Kitty and Illyana, Dani and Rahne, Storm and Yukio, also Storm and Kitty to a lesser extent. Whether they were lesbian is left as an exercise for the reader.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Storm's relationship with Kitty was way more maternal than sapphic.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

cant cook creole bream posted:

That's a really weird tradition.
It would be the most awkward way to introduce your best buddy to your girlfriends friend.

At least the maid of honor wouldn't have to replace the bride with the same groom.
Especially, since that might be Illiana.

You think that's weird? (I mean it is, but listen to this )
The Best Man was so named because he would be the best swordsman in the village. And his job would be to help fight and kidnap the Bride. And he would have to help fight off the Brides family.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/cullenbunn/status/1009162682728177669

edit: Gold is over at #36 too.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 19, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well they’re all dying so that makes sense I guess.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

My alternate version is dead :mad:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I guess Red is continuing, but I bet it's shortly retitled as UXM.
As long as Tom Taylor's still there, sure.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

As I've mentioned before, I was actually very surprised when Claremont said he viewed Kitty and Rachel as a couple because I never got that vibe, even from Excalibur (and I've read all of Claremont's run on Excalibur). I always assumed he was writing Kitty and Illyana as a couple based on how he wrote them in UXM and (to a lesser extent) New Mutants. :shrug:

I remember during my brief time as a listener of Jay & Miles X-Plain The X-Men how they were going on about how 'obvious' it was and having re-read Excalibur thanks to MU I just... don't see it. Kitty's mostly head over heels for the W.H.O. guy in the early going while he's ga-ga for Rachel who seems mostly oblivious.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If you don't see Rachel and Kitty as a couple in early Excalibur I don't know what to say.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The whole thing where Kitty rescues Rachel from the Mojoverse to kick off Excalibur is pretty ship-y, yeah.

Also, no mention of Destiny and Mystique? I think they're the ultimate Claremont gay couple in plain sight, because other things are more like "these people have chemistry", but Destiny and Mystique just straight up could plausibly be married.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Android Blues posted:

The whole thing where Kitty rescues Rachel from the Mojoverse to kick off Excalibur is pretty ship-y, yeah.

Also, no mention of Destiny and Mystique? I think they're the ultimate Claremont gay couple in plain sight, because other things are more like "these people have chemistry", but Destiny and Mystique just straight up could plausibly be married.

I think Claremont's on record as saying he wanted Mystique to have been Kurt's father and Destiny his mother. Which would have saved us from a dreadful Chuck Austen story (but I repeat myself) so I would have been all for it.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Android Blues posted:

They were absolutely married. Whether or not there was paperwork involved, Mystique and Destiny were 100% married; there's no other way to describe their relationship.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
They are just straight up a couple in UXM and I'm pretty sure the only reason nobody raised a stink is that nobody explicitly says it and that Destiny is a senior citizen.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

rantmo posted:

They were absolutely married. Whether or not there was paperwork involved, Mystique and Destiny were 100% married; there's no other way to describe their relationship.

Rogue said she wishes they could have gotten married during Northstars wedding. I think that might be the only explicit mention of them being a couple at least I looked a while back and didn’t find anything else.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Edmund Lava posted:

Rogue said she wishes they could have gotten married during Northstars wedding. I think that might be the only explicit mention of them being a couple at least I looked a while back and didn’t find anything else.

It's been made explicit subsequently, and it was definitely as obviously and only-technically-subtextual as could be.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

To be appropriately spoiler free: Gold was good. I like them as a couple, I hope it sticks for awhile.

Also, I want a one-shot of the Double Beast/Double Iceman team-up.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Android Blues posted:

IIRC, it was as close to canon as Claremont could get them at the time. Jim Shooter had some sort of edict in place barring homosexuality, but Claremont made it clear that Mystique and Destiny slept in the same bed, and the Shadow King calls them "lemans" at one point, which is an archaic term meaning "lover."

The same edict from Shooter is also the source of the Captain America story that introduced his old buddy Arnie Roth, where Arnie is clearly gay and in a long-term relationship with a guy named Michael, but the whole thing is written like an older relative dancing around the subject.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Gold was really good for the first time. I kinda wish I hadn't read the spoilers because the writing was really tight and Marquez just loving nailed it, I really liked the slightly looser style he used for it. I just had so little faith in the book, but I'm glad that it finally had a really good issue.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What if venom but wolverine? vOv

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
With the coming reboot of X-Men, what is everyone's hopes? I would like X-Men to stop regurgitating Claremont and get even more political. Maybe they should get the guy who did Black Panther. I bet he can handle political stuff. Or maybe that Dazzler mini as an ongoing!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cyclops returns. Gets back with Emma. All the X-Men get along again and do superhero stuff.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Codependent Poster posted:

Cyclops returns. Gets back with Emma. All the X-Men get along again and do superhero stuff.

This, plus Honey Badger leading a new Young X-Men team (that don't all get killed for dramatic gravitas several months down the line).

Also, Wanda shows up and goes "No, more mutants".

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Honestly I'd like to see them be a little less political. Less "Man hates Mutants" storylines or mutant genocide stuff. I know that's the crux of so much X-Men stuff but maybe just get away from it for a while. Do more straight up superhero stuff. Preferably some more space stuff, I always like X-Men in space. I'd like a new X-Factor, though Astonishing may morph into a replacement for that with Havok in the lead.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I want a writer who hopefully is tolerable to get basically a guaranteed three year run minimum so a darn status quo or some stories can breathe and actually develop and be memorable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'd like them to revisit the whole "mutants as a subculture" thing that Morrison started and then was completely derailed by M-Day.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I'm still not sold on the name change but the first issue of X-23 is everything I'd hoped it would be.

As for what I want to see in an X-relaunch, I don't want to see the books regress to any particular point in the run, I want forward motion, I want change, I want at least the illusion of growth. X-Men shouldn't be static or regress, they're a messy soap opera that are best when written by people who love the characters and the drama, writers who try different things because they're excited to see what might stick. I don't need another rehash of Claremont or Simonson, I have those already and not even Claremont writes good Claremont anymore. Thompson's Rogue and Gambit, that's the sort of poo poo I want, All-New Wolverine too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

This basically. X-men have teams again, but they do more standard superhero stuff, like preventing Doom from unleashing Shiiar enhanced Doombots on London or Juggernaut and Abomination team up. Mutant hating should become something that is seen as archaic and backwards by most people, with groups like The Purifiers being hold outs that everyone points and laughs at.

Everything that's happened makes mutants seem like such a minor threat. OMG THAT GUY HAS 3 EYES!! Uh did you miss the Captain America was replaced by a Hydra Duplicate and took over the world? Or the giant evil space gods that tried to destroy the earth? like maybe not completely eliminate it, but make it say more institutionalized and low key. Like regular racism before Trump!

Skwirl posted:

I'd like them to revisit the whole "mutants as a subculture" thing that Morrison started and then was completely derailed by M-Day.

This would be good too. Even that fits within the gay analog.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

rantmo posted:

I'm still not sold on the name change but the first issue of X-23 is everything I'd hoped it would be.

I actually just had posted in the main Marvel thread how much I felt like the book hadn't skipped a beat with the new writer. I don't mind the name change back to X-23, personally I think that's a cooler designation than Wolverine anyway. I know why people don't like it, the whole thing about her growing past it in her own mind, but just from a selfish standpoint I think it's a better name.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

thats not a name thats a number

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Synthbuttrange posted:

thats not a name thats a number

Again, I said I get it. I just think it sounds better. I have no problem with her being either, but regardless of how many other Wolverines are or aren't running around I just prefer X-23 because I like it better.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It's probably an inappropriate and disrespectful comparison to actual racism (aka X-Men's bread and butter) but that's her slave name.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats the name they gave her at the animal shelter.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't think the multiple X-teams concept is working out at all. Not unless each team has something seriously distinctive to them. 'Cuz as of now it's basically just "Okay this year we'll put......Jubilee...Bishop...Nate Grey, and uh...Gabby on X-Men: Mystic Force and then for X-Men: Dino Thunder we'll have...let's see who's free...Storm, Magneto, Blink, and...uh, gently caress it, let's get a Hawkeye." and I feel like all the character dynamics are just kinda bland and generic throughout these books. Just a general vague sense of "We sure are X-Men! We got all this history and...yeah...mutants, right?"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I don't mind the reset of the name of the comic that much, but It's weird that they're using it in universe. To be honest, I mostly think that "Extwentythree", "Extwothree", or maybe "Exhyphentwothree" is a terrible thing to shout out loud. Just try yelling it at someone and think about how stupid you sound. At the beginning of the book, Gabby is doing exactly that, because Laura doesn't answer the phone.

Why would Gabby not call her Laura? It's not like she ever cared about a secret identity.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 12, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

cant cook creole bream posted:

I don't mind the reset of the name of the comic that much, but It's weird that they're using it in universe. To be honest, I mostly think that "Extwentythree", "Extwothree", or maybe "Exhyphentwothree" is a terrible thing to shout out loud. Just try yelling it at someone and think about how stupid you sound. At the beginning of the book, Gabby is doing exactly that, because Laura doesn't answer the phone.

Why would Gabby not call her Laura? It's not like she ever cared about a secret identity.

Friends and family are calling her that in universe instead of Laura, when they're not on mission?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Skwirl posted:

Friends and family are calling her that in universe instead of Laura, when they're not on mission?

She only called her X-23 when they were fighting whoever they were fighting at the beginning and called Laura all the other times. She even accidentally calls her Laura during the mission and then says ‘uh I mean X-23’ and then Laura calls her HB. So it’s very much meant to be a just during missions thing. The Cuckoos also just called her Laura.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Axe - two three or Eks - twennythree?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Skwirl posted:

That particular instance was during a mission. But Laura and Gabby are both super inconsistent about using call signs. That's actually endearing. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

is "Ecks Twenny Three" really that much more of a mouthful to say than "Wolverine"