Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/3077529898698894565

Bluehole posted:

Hi everyone,

Today we want to tell you about something new we’ve prepared just in time for Sanhok’s release: a new way to unlock new content in PUBG. We’ll reveal all the details very soon, but first we want to share some context and information about how we think about premium content.

Since the beginning, we’ve thought a lot about ways to allow you to unlock content in meaningful ways. To start, we tried to establish a cosmetic market based on scarcity by introducing crate and key system. This model allows all players to get reward items regardless of whether they made a purchase or not, resell unwanted crates/items back to the marketplace and acquire items or add funds to your Steam Wallet without ever using cash payment methods.

The goal was to provide a fun system outside of the main game experience through item trading. We also designed the system to be useful for you whether you’re willing or unwilling to make a purchase. We especially liked that the crate and key system can feel extremely satisfying whenever you unlock rare items. However, to make certain items really rare and valuable, we’ve had to regulate the supply of items, making high tier items very rare. As a result, many of you can’t get the items you want instantly, and even though you’ve invested more money into the system, it can be pretty difficult to get the items you want.

This type of market model still has its own values. However, our team’s goal is to not stop here, but to keep experimenting with new systems and new content. To this end, around the release of the PC 1.0 version last year, we had a lot on our mind.

At one point, we actually considered the option of releasing new content in paid DLC format, including new maps. However, we came to understand that this method has some critical drawbacks. Mainly, it divides the entire player base into separate groups depending on whether they’ve purchased map DLC. It would also keep a huge portion of players from enjoying the biggest additions to the game. As such, at The Game Awards 2017, we promised that all battle royale maps will be provided to all of our players for free, not as DLC.

Then, while designing and developing Sanhok, we began to explore how to offer premium content in new ways, without limiting it to DLC. We wanted to create a whole new gameplay and reward experience. Ultimately, we decided to go with a new system: the “Event Pass.” It’ll be made available on June 22, the same day Sanhok hits live servers.

The Event Pass is designed to reflect the opinions of players who wanted a trackable progression-related system, and at the same time allows you to unlock new content in PUBG in a way that is different from the crate and key system.

Just like the crate and key system, you’ll be able to get rewards in the Event Pass system regardless of whether you made a purchase. If you haven’t paid for the pass, you can temporarily unlock many of the items (and earn one special item permanently). However, you can also permanently unlock a ton of exclusive reward items by paying to unlock the pass and completing certain missions to “level up” your pass. If you’re hesitant about buying the Pass, but want to play the missions, you’re free to do that. And your mission progress is always tracked, so you can buy the Event Pass late in the event and still get all the rewards you’ve earned.

This first Event Pass is all about celebrating the launch of Sanhok, so it includes an item set that fits the map Sanhok thematically. The Event Pass will last for about four weeks, and it includes dozens of missions, including daily missions, weekly missions, and Sanhok-specific missions. By completing missions and leveling up, you’ll unlock rewards. These rewards won’t be tradable or marketable, so only those of you who really earn them will get to show them off in-game.

One more thing: simply by playing and completing missions while they’re available, you’ll be able to unlock one free chance to change your in-game PUBG name.

We’ll share more about missions and level-up rewards before Sanhok hits the live servers.

Please give us your feedback on the Event Season and Pass so we can keep improving PUBG. Our top priorities will continue to be optimizing performance, fixing bugs, and eradicating cheat programs.While our Platform, Engineering, and Anti-Cheat teams are focusing on these areas, we’ll keep meeting players’ needs for new experiences, rewards, and surprising new features.

As always, thanks for playing.

Love,
Your friends at PUBG Corp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what in the even gently caress are they talking about

Monowhatever
Mar 19, 2010

They're copying the fortnite battle pass thing aren't they?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Not enough to be the most popular game on steam, they just have to keep pushing more micro transactions ceaselessly? I don't want to see their stupid esports ads in the game and I don't want this poo poo either.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
You want Call of Duty missions and unlocks? Pay for them as a side-game.

I'm ... actually pretty OK with that. You can play dress up with your character and weapons and you actually pay to support the content creation.

Now, I absolutely just submitted a price rewind for the Steam sale difference. Give me my :10bux: citi!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Monowhatever posted:

They're copying the fortnite battle pass thing aren't they?

I mean, other games have done it as well, CSGO has been doing it for a while. In fact, it's exactly the CSGO system since they don't gate the maps behind paid DLC, they just release passes with it to generate revenue and give you a mission book to complete.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I was just going to say, it sounds exactly like what CS:GO has been doing forever. They are copying the CS:GO model. Weapon skins, advertising the gently caress out of their tournaments, and have "operations" for like 2 months at a time where you can level up by completing tasks for dumb rewards, banners, and coins.

The only difference is CS:GO is a pretty much 100% polished game with a successful competitive scene and extremely high skill ceiling with zero RNG.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 20, 2018

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
ok so its the csgo thing that makes sense to me more than how its explained there

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Rocket League is going to be doing the same thing too, it's a pretty sensible model to be honest

And with this they could actually just make the game F2P probably. I mean, they probably already could, but this would make the revenue from actual game sales even less necessary for ongoing expenditures.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Free name change is the biggest thing imo

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

You guys should’ve picked better names the first time around :colbert:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I honestly did not see the map selection change removal coming.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

F2P would likely kill the game with bots and hackers. Good luck with that.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

George H.W. oval office posted:

Free name change is the biggest thing imo

yeah im probably going to change my name since i dont think there was a way to do it before at all which wa stupid

John DiFool posted:

F2P would likely kill the game with bots and hackers. Good luck with that.

according to a lot of people in this thread they already have to deal with hackers every game

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I was just going to say, it sounds exactly like what CS:GO has been doing forever. They are copying the CS:GO model. Weapon skins, advertising the gently caress out of their tournaments, and have "operations" for like 2 months at a time where you can level up by completing tasks for dumb rewards, banners, and coins.

The only difference is CS:GO is a pretty much 100% polished game with a successful competitive scene and extremely high skill ceiling with zero RNG.

and PUBG had to cancel a tournament because their game is too broken

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
nothing to see here scrublets

Kung Fu Fist Fuck fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 20, 2018

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Have they said what the rewards are yet? It's just cosmetic poo poo right (hopefully)?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The rewards include a parachute that lets you land 0.5 seconds faster than a normal chute.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
GunSense: for 10 seconds after you land you can see guns through walls. Only 9.99

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
i liked the battlepass in fortnite enough that it kept me playing through the first season even though i don't really like fortnite.

if you get a poo poo circle or your teammates die early you can do something stupid and check off a box, shallow but enjoyable.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Great, soon all games will have an International Compendium.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I loved the blue zone changes that were made specifically in response to the community and pros and they reverted it within 24 hours and haven't mentioned a drat thing about it since. :(

Hellsau posted:

Those circle changes were so good that I have played very few games since they reverted the changes, since it's just way worse and now I know how green the grass could be.

Same. They need to bring the dynamic blue zone over to the bigger maps because they're the ones that actually need it and not the smaller map that's still 100 players which makes it more fast paced already.

Bouchehog
Dec 19, 2002

The Campaign for Badger Rights

Version 4 of my infographic. I've not been playing much for the last two months (being a new father apparently reduces my available free time) so if anyone has any useful input about what has changed from this information please let me know!

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
PUBG compensates wrongly banned players with 20,000 BP

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Yup, got my deposit in this morning. What the gently caress am I supposed to do with it? Buy crates that I can then buy keys for? What the hell?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FunOne posted:

Yup, got my deposit in this morning. What the gently caress am I supposed to do with it? Buy crates that I can then buy keys for? What the hell?

Sell the crates.

PUBG has paid for itself and several games at this point for me.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
i too brag about earning 2 cents an hour

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i too brag about earning 2 cents an hour

The game is enjoyable and as an added bonus I got it for free?

The twitch prime poo poo alone was :10bux: and some crates were several dollars each too, so it isn't always a $0.03 crate.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

PLEASE bring back damage making your aim get a little messy. So tired of snipers one shotting me as I'm literally shooting them 4-5 times.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

pro starcraft loser posted:

PLEASE bring back damage making your aim get a little messy. So tired of snipers one shotting me as I'm literally shooting them 4-5 times.

Aim punch is definitely a thing though :confused:

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

man, no compensation for the false June 8th ban wave :/ oh well

revolther
May 27, 2008

Gildiss posted:

The game is enjoyable and as an added bonus I got it for free?

The twitch prime poo poo alone was :10bux: and some crates were several dollars each too, so it isn't always a $0.03 crate.
I bought Hunt: Showdown entirely with cash from pubg crates, like a broken games waterfall.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

revolther posted:

I bought Hunt: Showdown entirely with cash from pubg crates, like a broken games waterfall.

Crate prizes crashed, it's barely worth the effort to sell them. They should fire the monetization people since they hosed the crate economy, consequently making the crates and BP worthless.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Grimwall posted:

Crate prizes crashed, it's barely worth the effort to sell them. They should fire the monetization people since they hosed the crate economy, consequently making the crates and BP worthless.

Yep, if you buy a key for $2.50 and get a shirt in the crate worth $0.05 you have to ask yourself, wtf?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
At least I get to enjoy the sale price, as Citi just approved my :10bux: refund.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

Neutrino posted:

Yep, if you buy a key for $2.50 and get a shirt in the crate worth $0.05 you have to ask yourself, wtf?

csgo players have been doing this for years, though...?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Winkle-Daddy posted:

csgo players have been doing this for years, though...?

Using csgo players as a benchmark for rational behavior :hmmyes:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
PUBG, CS:GO, DOTA2, Path of Exile and TF2 all have micro-transactions for cosmetics and are always at the top for player counts on steam. People love their cool colored pixels and animations.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I really have liked playing PUBG but the amount of bad ideas that the company has is honestly astonishing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
If you wear someones clothes to a chicken dinner you should get to keep those clothes