Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

mandatory lesbian posted:

yeah, and you'd never bother to spoil for ffx presumably. there has to be a limit and i think a problem is we all have a different idea of what that limit should be. personally i'd say after a year just talk about the game but i know some people are gonna think that's too short and others way too long

I guess to me it's not even a matter of time limits or hard rules or whatever, just one of case-by-case common sense and taking others into consideration. I always do my best to avoid spoiling critical bits for others since to me that feels fair and like the right thing to do, not because I "have" to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

A theory entirely predicated on not knowing what a flashback is

lol, that's why people think that?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The White Dragon posted:

let me play devil's advocate and suggest that, like final fantasy 8, this is more true to how dudes act than you would think. sometimes a guy will go a long way for some tang, especially if he's dumb and young

I don't think you understand the problem or what's being discussed here

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I looked at the Celestial Weapon guide for the FFX Remaster and what the hell was wrong with teenage me that I was willing to dodge lightning 200 times in a row

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the bible posted:

I don't think you understand the problem or what's being discussed here

probably not

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

It's not that noctis or green lantern or whoever acts out of character or is badly written for being like holy poo poo my lady done got murdered offscreen, it's that people write women entirely so they can be murdered offscreen and don't give them characters or personalities or development.

With ffxv they actually did try to address this and patched in more Luna scenes, including a big sequence during the climax, so the people defending it might have played it more recently. The fact they had to is pretty damning in itself though

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

IMO I always appreciated spoiler tags if I was talking about something older in a thread like this that I hadn't experienced but it's not obligatory imo and people should expect spoilers. That said if the only reason an older game from a series is being discussed is because a new person posted saying they'd started it for the first time I'd definitely use spoilers for a while.

XIII's story is fine so far but I'm only just starting, instead of a Tidus or Vaan being the fish out of water asking questions they've been replaced with "Press /_\ to view datalog" which is remarkably more efficient if less fun. I think this whiny kid could have done that job though.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Walk in to casual spoilers of the latest game in the series.

Oh that's cool I was thinking about picking the game back up but guess I won't bother for awhile longer.

tonberrykng
May 1, 2009
I'm only a dumb lurker, but, yeah, this thread is by far one of the worst in Games about using spoiler tags. I haven't played FF15 because there's still content coming out for it, and I can play more complete games in the meantime.

But if the current attitude toward spoilers is going to be the status quo. then I'm fine reading other threads :shrug:

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

So I finally picked up XV, and played it for about an hour and it’s real fun. But is it supposed to just START? I mean the boys got sent on the road by the king and now we’re doing bro stuff in hammerhead.

Its rad and all, but I feel like I’m missing stuff. Should I watch kingsglaben first or just keep playing?

Side note: prissy pants ignis is a rad dude. He makes crispy cheese pizza with golfing gloves and that appeals to me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tall Tale Teller posted:

So I finally picked up XV, and played it for about an hour and it’s real fun. But is it supposed to just START? I mean the boys got sent on the road by the king and now we’re doing bro stuff in hammerhead.

Its rad and all, but I feel like I’m missing stuff. Should I watch kingsglaben first or just keep playing?

Side note: prissy pants ignis is a rad dude. He makes crispy cheese pizza with golfing gloves and that appeals to me.

Just play. The other stuff is neat but what they felt was important got ported into the game, and uh, theyre still adding poo poo to the game to try and make the story flow better. Try not to focus on the story as much as the vibe because the overall theme and its shifts and gameplay mechanics are well tied together, but like on a specific detail level the thing is all over the place.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I played XV about when it came out and I thought "well that got really loving slapdash as soon as we got out of the first big region", and then when I found out I'd been conned into getting an Early Access game I was pretty mad.

I guess I'll play through it again once they're actually done making it. What's the status on that?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Instant Grat posted:

I played XV about when it came out and I thought "well that got really loving slapdash as soon as we got out of the first big region", and then when I found out I'd been conned into getting an Early Access game I was pretty mad.

I guess I'll play through it again once they're actually done making it. What's the status on that?

End of 2019 earliest

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Walk in to casual spoilers of the latest game in the series.

Oh that's cool I was thinking about picking the game back up but guess I won't bother for awhile longer.

Attitude Indicator posted:

I just think it's funny when people whine about spoilers.

Honestly, if your entire enjoyment of a game comes from not knowing a halfway plot point I don't think you'd have much fun with the game anyway.

WaltherFeng posted:

End of 2019 earliest

This is such a lovely way to release a game

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
It's like

Other than the people who got tricked into buying the game at launch, before it became widely known that it wasn't finished, who would buy it now? Why wouldn't you just wait until they're actually done with it? They're still patching in (and in some cases, like the Royal Edition poo poo, selling) story content in both beginning, middle, and end of the game's storyline

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
joke's on you ps4-having bartzholes, FINAL FANTASY XV WINDOWS EDITION™ has all the nickel-and-dime dlc for free

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

The White Dragon posted:

joke's on you ps4-having bartzholes, FINAL FANTASY XV WINDOWS EDITION™ has all the nickel-and-dime dlc for free

Yeah but the game still ain't done

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

They are working on 4 additional dlcs.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Some say there is no base game, only DLC.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You don't biy FF1t for the story, you buy it for Ignis cooking stuff and waking up mid-drive on the Regalia to Prompto jacking off to a picture of Cindy.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Base FFXV was a fun game, and the DLC decent to great (Ignis). I'm not really interested in the Royal Edition since most of the changes feel tacked on. "Early access" is hilarious hyperbole. I played it for 140 hours and it felt complete, just with a lighter story than what you're used to.

I wish the King had some more scenes though.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
In spite of FFXVs many flaws, I am completely here for the modern rural road trip with final fantasy bullshit jammed into it aesthetic. Give me more gaudy diners with FF monsters 30 feet outside or weird mutant giraffes milling around on the side of the road under power lines.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Relax Or DIE posted:

In spite of FFXVs many flaws, I am completely here for the modern rural road trip with final fantasy bullshit jammed into it aesthetic. Give me more gaudy diners with FF monsters 30 feet outside or weird mutant giraffes milling around on the side of the road under power lines.
Yeah honestly that absurdly specific aesthetic really, really worked for me as someone that went on a load of roadtrips through the American midwest as a kid, who also liked FF games a lot.

It was like a bizarre combination of disparate things from when I was young in a way that I don't think I've quite seen before.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Renoistic posted:

Base FFXV was a fun game, and the DLC decent to great (Ignis). I'm not really interested in the Royal Edition since most of the changes feel tacked on. "Early access" is hilarious hyperbole. I played it for 140 hours and it felt complete, just with a lighter story than what you're used to.

When they announce after the fact that they're going to be patching in more story content in random places within the single-player campaign throughout the next several years, that's Early Access, to me

Also: uhhhhhh everything that happens after arriving in Altissia

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Raxivace posted:

Yeah honestly that absurdly specific aesthetic really, really worked for me as someone that went on a load of roadtrips through the American midwest as a kid, who also liked FF games a lot.

It was like a bizarre combination of disparate things from when I was young in a way that I don't think I've quite seen before.

Yeah same. I bought 15 when it came out and while it was criminally short, I got 60 hours of solid fun out of it (except the loving sewer dungeon, gently caress that place). I'm probably going to start the DLC soon and maybe do a new game+ so I can use the truck and do some more hunts or whatever.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I actually liked FFXV when it was released but thr post release story patches have all felt really unnecessary and just make the game feel even less finished. Also most of them are hilariously low budget cutscenes

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 20, 2018

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

WaltherFeng posted:

I actually liked FFXV when it was released but thr post release story patches have all felt really unnecessary and just make the game feel even less finished

This. They even removed one of my favorite line readings. It's Star Wars OT all over again! I've enjoyed the DLC episodes though.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Terper posted:

the bros do not die at the end, jfc this theory

He gets better.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
60 hours is short in what world for anyone

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
FF7 is like 30 at most unless you're doing the weapons :lol: And the Zack flashback wasn't in the Japanese version. Guess it's early access.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I picked up the royal edition for a good price, but won't get to the game for another couple months probably. Is all the added story just spliced into the original game?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tae posted:

There is no such thing as a "good" game, true value is measured in price per pound.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6XiJmrGx0Y

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

I picked up the royal edition for a good price, but won't get to the game for another couple months probably. Is all the added story just spliced into the original game?

Excluding the character dlcs (at least one of them is heavy on story) which are separate from the main game, yes.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Kingtheninja posted:

Some scenes have been altered and extended, some new scenes have been added. Most of them are unnecessary unless you're a Wookiepedia editor who must know every little detail.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Attitude Indicator posted:

Honestly, if your entire enjoyment of a game comes from not knowing a halfway plot point I don't think you'd have much fun with the game anyway.

Vision dies in Infinity War.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Tae posted:

The same world where Dragon Age: Inquisition got 200+ hours out of me for asingle playthrough before any DLC was released.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Vision dies in Infinity War.

Vision is my favourite x-man. Rip.

FF15 is a video game though, with a lot of other stuff in it besides the main plot. Gameplay systems and mechanics, exploration, side quests, atmosphere, etc. Knowing some details of the plot beforehand doesn't take away from any of those.
The same argument doesn't really apply as well to movies and books, but there's still value to be had beyond plot points.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Vision dies in FFXV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Democracy dies in Darkness