Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Mymla posted:

https://twinfinite.net/2018/06/ffxiv-e3-2018-interview

Yoship himself confirming that Eureka is indeed killing ffxiv.

Don't be silly, he says absolutely nothing of the sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
He says exactly that.

quote:

Yeah definitely. With being able to allocate development resources with the shift in our pattern for releasing dungeon content, where we have our even number of patches to have two dungeons, and our odd patches to have just one, we did alleviate [amount of work] by not having to make that extra dungeon.

The Forbidden Land of Eureka content is something that we were able to work on, concentrate, and put in more effort. If we were making two dungeons as we were previously doing, I don’t think we would have been able to achieve such a large scale content.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

We already knew that Eureka's development is why dungeon development was reduced way back when we first learned those things would be happening.
I guess if your opinion on that is "the game is bad and dying" then ok, but that's certainly not what Yoshi-P is saying like you made it sound.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I liked the part where he said Eureka takes player skill.

Regardless of how much you enjoy that content the idea of it being genuinely difficult content in any way beyond numbers is absurd.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Gruckles posted:

We already knew that Eureka's development is why dungeon development was reduced way back when we first learned those things would be happening.
I guess if your opinion on that is "the game is bad and dying" then ok, but that's certainly not what Yoshi-P is saying like you made it sound.

The game is neither bad nor dying, but Eureka is very bad and makes the rest of the game worse by its existence. I have seen people argue that that is not the case, but as we can see from this interview, it is.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

25% fewer dungeons, the game is ruined

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mymla posted:

The game is neither bad nor dying, but Eureka is very bad and makes the rest of the game worse by its existence. I have seen people argue that that is not the case, but as we can see from this interview, it is.

Get this: It's good. And I'm glad more development time is being spent on it.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
The only thing that I genuinely dislike and/or find kinda headscratchy about eureka is that, unlike previous relic grinds, Eureka not only doesn't populate roulettes, it actively depopulates them.

Everything else about it is neutral to fine and I often lol (laugh aloud) at the Eureka handwringing that takes place in this, very, thread.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I'm not fond of Eureka at all but I don't begrudge its existence? There's definitely a market for people with FFXI stockholm syndrome after all. :shrug: But yeah, it's really kind of counterproductive to keeping queues populated in a way the previous relic grinds weren't.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Very few of the relic or anima steps did much for queues. Atma, unid, and books did nothing for no one. Light you could make an argument for, but it was far easier to grind out in PF

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

What other queue needs moving since normal raid roulette got added?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Countblanc posted:

Regardless of how much you enjoy that content the idea of it being genuinely difficult content in any way beyond numbers is absurd.

this was my favorite part as well

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Vitamean posted:

That's true, maybe this is the answer to the only honest-to-god complaint I have about eureka

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Countblanc posted:

Apparently that was a translation error and he's said they designed it to be more time gated than skill gated in the past.

using just one translator is why mistakes like this make it to publishing.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I think dropping a dungeon here and there to work on some side content was a good idea, and I don't think Eureka is unsalvagable. I'm very interested to see if they next part of it makes any positive changes or if it's just more of the same.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I got more fun out of Eureka than any given level 60 dungeon, if losing a few Hullbreaker HMs is the price we pay for experimentation I'm ok with a few less than stellar experiments.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Relax Or DIE posted:

I think dropping a dungeon here and there to work on some side content was a good idea, and I don't think Eureka is unsalvagable. I'm very interested to see if they next part of it makes any positive changes or if it's just more of the same.

:yeah:

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
it's called eureka because when you see it you reka 360 degrees and walk away

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Finally beat the main quest line for Stormblood a year after buying it. It was real fun. Lyse is awesome, Zenos' voice actor went really over the top but it was still fun. The twins continue to improve. Scenery and map traversal is so much better than Heavensward. A lot of good story beats, especially in the side quest chains.

9/10 would highly recommend.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
oh forgot to mention something

Nero loving rules

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
People complain about getting less dungeons but seriously though? If anything, this game has too many dungeons that we don't get enough time with.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Vitamean posted:

50/60 DR could use better rewards because queue times are poo poo for it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This was a really good patch even with only one dungeon so complaining that Eureka is killing the game is pretty lol

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Arist posted:

This was a really good patch even with only one dungeon so complaining that Eureka is killing the game is pretty lol

:emptyquote:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

So you know the story quest "warriors welcome" where you kill a bunch of monsters in a hunting contest? turns out its possible for someone to steal your kills and you dont get credit, so a monk followed me around and stole them when I was doing the quest.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Arist posted:

Imagine how good it would've been with 2. Or 3.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Pretty sure it'd be exactly the same after the first clear of each. Since dungeons are extremely stock standard poo poo now in how they're designed.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Mymla posted:

Completely the same except my EXDR now potentially has 1 extra dungeon to not give me Hell's Lid?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Control Volume posted:

So you know the story quest "warriors welcome" where you kill a bunch of monsters in a hunting contest? turns out its possible for someone to steal your kills and you dont get credit, so a monk followed me around and stole them when I was doing the quest.

Classic Lyse.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I think 2 dungeons a patch is the sweet spot for me.

And I enjoy dungeons because outside of actual serious raiding, it's where it's easiest to see how player skill can impact things. It's there in trials and normal raids but I feel that those still take too long to grind through HP bars to really feel as good as dungeons.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I'm seeing a lot of complaining about the level 60 dungeons, but I will take ARF all day over the level 50 dungeons, because gently caress Level 50.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Who in the world complains about any dungeon past level 30, and I guess aurum vale

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Good with the current dungeon cadence as well. 50/60 DR reminds me how many mechanics I've forgotten, and that number only grows with each expansion. Not thrilled with the allocation to Eureka, but there's plenty to occupy me otherwise.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Groggy nard posted:

I'm seeing a lot of complaining about the level 60 dungeons, but I will take ARF all day over the level 50 dungeons, because gently caress Level 50.

Some of them are pretty good. Amdapor Keep and Wanderer's Palace are great to get in roulettes (mainly because you can pull entire hallways and breeze through them in like 12 minutes). The trick is to just never unlock any of the lovely ones when you hit 50 so that you can never get them as roulettes.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I like most of the 50 dungeons and 60 dungeons and would trade Eureka away for more dungeons immediately. I would also do the same with potd and diadem. Basically if the mode has loot boxes, I want it annihilated.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Rosalind posted:

Some of them are pretty good. Amdapor Keep and Wanderer's Palace are great to get in roulettes (mainly because you can pull entire hallways and breeze through them in like 12 minutes). The trick is to just never unlock any of the lovely ones when you hit 50 so that you can never get them as roulettes.

My problem is I only really play DRG and SMN. Level 50 just feels worthless, whereas 60 and above is all good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Control Volume posted:

Who in the world complains about any dungeon past level 30, and I guess aurum vale

I almost always get Qarn or Brayflox or Cutter's and I would almost take Aurum Vale at this point

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Mymla posted:

done

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

I almost always get Qarn or Brayflox or Cutter's and I would almost take Aurum Vale at this point

Congrats on your good dungeon rolls. Mind trading them for my fifth consecutive copperbell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mymla posted:

It's not the opposite of bad or dying either though. It's in the middle of those extremes.