Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Everyone: Archer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Grey: Archer
Tobin: Archer
Kliff: Archer
Faye: Cleric

SilverFox442
Feb 23, 2017
I’m gonna side with the classic approach as well:

Gray: Mercenary
Kliff: Mage

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Gray, Tobin: Mercenary

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Serifina posted:

Yes, but this is not as useful as you think. They're "allies", so not directly controlled, and you don't get XP for anything they do.

It's still pretty drat useful. Thanks to their low stats, enemies make them priority targets, meaning they're not going after the units who can actually die.

Also, Gray: Mercenary

I'm a traditionalist.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

chiasaur11 posted:

It's still pretty drat useful. Thanks to their low stats, enemies make them priority targets, meaning they're not going after the units who can actually die.

Invoke summons can be very useful when enemies outrange your units, and you're trying to close to melee range. It's like how Tanith's summons in Path of Radiance are amazingly useful in Chapter 23 (The Great Bridge, basically one big gauntlet of ballistae).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

When you're not time-constrained, never underestimate the value of an ablative meatwall.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Grey: Mercenary

Should be interesting to see how Faye works when classed optimally instead of being made a Pegasus Knight for maximum pegasus.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

chiasaur11 posted:

Seriously I can't even count the amount of times I've been saved by Silque's cannon fodder brigade.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

blizzardvizard posted:

Physic after promotion. Tobin is the best mage early game, and when mages start falling off lategame due to their low mov, he brings utility, so he's consistently useful at any stage of the game.

Exactly this. Not to mention 3 range is covered by at least 1 archer and 2 mages Alm gets later on. And some other factors.

In a game where speed is king, the lower weight of Excalibur is always superior if you feel the need for a mage.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Gray: Mage
Tobin: Mage
Faye: Mage
Silque: Mage wait I think I'm getting ahead of myself.

I like mages :shobon:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I was going to vote for pretty standard fare but you know what, let's have you suffer

Gray: Soldier
Tobin: Cavalier
Kliff: Archer
Faye: Cavalier

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Augh, gently caress. I don't know why but I've always been very averse to using skills/spells that cost HP to use, even when it's easy enough to replenish and is obviously worth the cost. I'm glad I'm starting to get over that, but still.

Anyway, don't really care about the rest, but I want to support Faye's dream of becoming Alm's best instrument of death, so whatever path is most likely to bring that about gets my vote.

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.
Grey: Mercenary

:colbert:

Zerbin7 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 19, 2018

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Augh, gently caress. I don't know why but I've always been very averse to using skills/spells that cost HP to use, even when it's easy enough to replenish and is obviously worth the cost. I'm glad I'm starting to get over that, but still.

Anyway, don't really care about the rest, but I want to support Faye's dream of becoming Alm's best instrument of death, so whatever path is most likely to bring that about gets my vote.

This is going to require some very important clarification on whether or not faye kills things for alm or is used by alm for maximum killing.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

This is going to require some very important clarification on whether or not faye kills things for alm or is used by alm for maximum killing.

Maximum Killing, direct or otherwise.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Gray and Tobin: Mercenary

Throwing my vote in this direction.

Let's see if your Mage-Kliff does better than mine. Mine got really, really attack-screwed in my game, to the point of becoming unusable later on. :(

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Maximum Killing, direct or otherwise.

Cleric hands down then. Imagine running forward, rescuing Alm and then silke running up and warping him forward and then he charges an enemy halfway across the map from where he started.

Or alm getting warped up to dudes smashing their face in and getting rescued away giggling.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Everyone Else: Mercenary

Unlimited stat-ups! :getin:

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Well, I just completed a Blitzkrieg run in around 300 Turns (including the random encounters), so...let's see if I can help out here.

Grey: Mercenary - This one's fairly simple. Grey's got high STR but low SPD; so you may as well patch up the stuff that's wrong with him. That said...

Tobin: Mage - I'm going to take a fairly controversial opinion here, and say that having more than one Mercenary actually isn't a good idea. Or at least, not during the early to midgame game. As far as that goes, Alm's party basically just gets the Lightning Sword, the Royal Sword, an Iron Sword, and a Steel Sword. Your primary Mercenary's the one getting the Lightning Sword; and I don't think anyone needs to guess at which one Alm's getting. So that just leaves two regular swords for a class that already has pretty middling STR.

So instead, I prefer making Tobin into a class that doesn't need good gear to do good damage. You need at least one mage for a lot of the bulkier guys; and having two is never a bad idea when you don't get Luthier until midway into Act 3. Now that said...

Kliff: Mage or Archer - The choice here really comes down to "how much favoritism are you willing to give to an Archer class?". Archers have really low Accuracy, and their bases are fairly unimpressive. So in normal cases, those weaknesses balance out the 1-5 Range that Archer classes can reach...

But if you were to do the following...

code:
Promote Kliff to Merc > Reclass to Villager w/Pitchfork > Promote to Archer > Feed +3 STR Fountain to Kliff > Forged Killer Bow
...Then you're eventually going to end up with one of the most broken units you can possibly get in this game; one that makes even the Blitzkrieg achievement seem like child's play. It's like power leveling Celice in Genealogy. You need to invest some heavy favoritism to get him going; but the results are MORE than worth it! You just need to get the stats needed to make it work.

Otherwise, Kliff's probably best as a Mage. A second fireball slinger is never a bad thing to have, especially when you don't get any of those for the entirety of Act 1.

Faye: Cleric - Physic at LVL 6, and Rescue at LVL 10. Need I say more?

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Grey: Cavalier
Kliff: Mercenary
Faye: Pegasus Knight

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

3 cavaliers and a pegasus knight

They move good.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

ajkalan posted:

They move good.

You do know there's only a finite number of good lances in this game, right?

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

You do know there's only a finite number of good lances in this game, right?

I know absolutely nothing about this game

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

ajkalan posted:

I know absolutely nothing about this game

Too many people use lances in Echoes already, adding more just ends up rendering even more of them useless.

Come to think of it, that's a pretty common issue in older Fire Emblems, too many drat lance-users.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

ajkalan posted:

They move good.

This was going to be my alternative suggestion to have the maximum number of legs possible. But I decided to be a tiny bit reasonable while still mixing it up.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Just finished my blind playthrough, so it's cool to see someone else going through it. Voting for:
Gray: Cavalier

Interested to see how useful Faye's spells are. I used her as my main cavalier and she absolutely wrecked.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

Too many people use lances in Echoes already, adding more just ends up rendering even more of them useless.

Come to think of it, that's a pretty common issue in older Fire Emblems, too many drat lance-users.
Not to mention that Alm's party has a lot of lance users (Lukas + 5 more people we'll eventually recruit) to juggle around. Admittedly, Celica also gets 5 lance-locked users on her route as well, plus potentially four other people who can take up lances (one Villager + three Mercs who can abuse the Dread Fighter loop). And then two of the DLC Cipher characters use lances, just to make things worse.

Anyhew, onto the vote:
Gray: Mercenary

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Given the way weapons work in this game, you really don't want to overload on any particular weapon type (yes, this includes Mercenaries, unlimited leveling be damned). Technically you could overload on magic users, since that's innate to people, but that's just boring.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Kliff: Mercenary
Gray: Cavalier
Faye: Pegasus

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I've stalled on a second playthrough of this game so maybe I can pick it back up and play along! I'll vote for the promotions I gave my crew this time around. First time I went with their "default" classes, as hinted by the stuff you find around Ram Village.

Kliff- Mage It just fits him too well
Tobin- Mercenery He joined up for the paycheck. It makes too much drat sense
Gray- Cavalier He strikes me as the romantic errant knight type
Faye- Cleric I made her a peg knight my first playthrough and ehhhh, let's see what she can do as a cleric instead.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tobin is basically an archer even as a mage because one of his only spells is magic arrows, he just can't match the absurd range of a real archer.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Does a melee range archer attack still obliterate pegasus knights?

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Gray: Merc

The normal, boring choices. I made Faye a pegasus knight in my original run, so it'd be nice to see if she's more useful as a cleric.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Does a melee range archer attack still obliterate pegasus knights?

Archers still do more damage to fliers regardless of range, but they're not the instant death sentence they are in other games because the majority of enemy bows are of the weaker variety (like Iron or occasionally Steel). In addition, bows' MT are weaker in this game; an Iron Bow only has 2 Mt, compared to an Iron Sword's 5.

So in theory they're still just as bad against fliers, but in practice you'll often see your fliers tanking them more easily.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Also worth noting, Archers don't actually get the anti-flier bonus unless they actually have a bow weapon equipped; the "default" weapon everybody gets when unequipped does not get the anti-flier bonus.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

That said, if you have one of the three-five (depending on how you feel about two of them) best bows, you'll usually reduce fliers to a fine mist from halfway across the map.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I have no idea how combat shakes out, how important which spells are or what weapons are strong, so I'm not voting on classes. I do like that individual characters have access to different spells. Could be a precursor to Three Houses maybe giving every character magic, even if they are knights/fighters or the like. Unless Gaiden already had the individual magics?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Torrannor posted:

I have no idea how combat shakes out, how important which spells are or what weapons are strong, so I'm not voting on classes. I do like that individual characters have access to different spells. Could be a precursor to Three Houses maybe giving every character magic, even if they are knights/fighters or the like. Unless Gaiden already had the individual magics?

yeah that was still a thing in OG gaiden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

ApplesandOranges posted:

In addition, bows' MT are weaker in this game; an Iron Bow only has 2 Mt, compared to an Iron Sword's 5.

That said, Iron Swords have 2 MT in this game, too. I'm assuming that A & O meant that that's what Iron Swords have in the other FE games.

• Locked thread