Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Shadows of Valentia is a remake of the 2nd game Gaiden which took many drastic turns from a strategy tactics game to more of an RPG with tactics combat.

SoV is no different, as it retains many of the mechanics still unique to Gaiden, as well as sprinkle in new experiments brand new to the series including:
-Full Voice Acting. All but a handful of NPC villagers don't have voiced lines.
-Mila's Turnwheel. A mechanic to turn back as many turns for limited uses.
-Full 3D dungeon exploration
-And many more

This LP will be a run without knowledge of Gaiden, sorry to say. Luckily for you, two Gaiden LP's have been done (with obvious warning to spoilers since this is a Remake)

DKII: https://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-Gaiden-(by-DKII)/

Hafl: https://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-Gaiden/

Thread rules are the basics of no spoilers.

Content Listing:

The Beginning
A Grave Situation
A Parting Promise
A Chance Encounter
Ramming to War
We can still see the gates
A Quick Bout
A Cavern of Creeps
Deep Dive: Promoting Magic
Bandit Cave Sidestuff
Shieldy McMerc
Prison Break
Greetings, Fellow [Peasants]
A Lead On Leader

Tae fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The Beginning

Hard gives bigger stats to enemies, better equipment, and more enemies in general compared to Normal. Some of the maps distinctly are designed for Hard, as they would be noticeably very empty spaces in Normal.

The Casual/Classic modes are here as always, though Casual renders some in-game mechanics of the game unneeded and useless.

Don't ask me how the dates work in this game. They're mostly for flavor

Always gotta start with drama, I see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMCpIy_NvpE

I get white blood is because of ratings board, but you could've picked something not so...bright?

Gods, no.... *kneels down to girl*

Don't leave me, Celica...You can't!

Celica? Celica! Say something, please!

Media Res is all the rage with the kids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6DySnnRuH0

…Alm? …Alm!
*sigh* Where did he go this time?

Oh! Hey, Gray. Say, have you seen Alm? I can’t find him anywhere.

Kliff! …Wait, why not?
He and Celica went off for a stroll in the woods. I saw them leave.
He’s with Celica? …Again?
Exactly. Again?! I mean, Celica JUST moved to Ram Village, right?
*sighs* Nice to know we’re so easily replaced.
H-he’s not replacing us. Celica’s his cousin. Of course they’re gonna be close.

Huh?
Sir Mycen only has one grandkid. And that’s Alm. Celica is his ward. Mother told me. They’re not related by blood.

Still, I like where this story is going. Celica and her dark, unspeakable past…
Stop that, would you? So does this mean… I mean…
Is Alm gonna marry her someday?
Wha— Marry her?! Are we having the same conversation?

Girls start early, Gray. Real early.

*Another kid runs up to them*

Hey, Tobin. Believe what?
Somebody saw a knight in the woods! A real knight! From the castle!
Come on, let’s go check it out!
What? Why would a knight come here? Big fan of manure or something?
I’m not missing this! He could be the last knight we see for months…or years! Kliff, Faye! You coming?
Yeah!
Huh? H-hey, wait up!

*Meanwhile, out in the fields*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSChpshTYKw

Here's two seconds of gameplay, mostly showing off the evolution of the 3D models from Fates and Awakening.

In most conversations, the main protagonist's face will be in the bottom screen as they express against whoever they're talking to.
I made a wreath out of these flowers. Here, put it on!
Wh-what? No!
Why not? I think it’d make you look very handsome.
I think you mean “very stupid.” Boys don’t wear wreaths.
Don’t call it stupid! It took me a long time to make this.
Fine then. Maybe I’ll just give it to Grandpapa instead.
You’re kidding, right?
Grandpapa knows a manly wreath when he sees one…unlike SOME boys. Ha ha.
Har har. Very funny.
You’re picturing him wearing it. Ha ha! Admit it!
…Heh heh.
There’s the smile I was looking for.
…Huh? What, is something wrong?
No, I just… I’m glad you’ve cheered up, is all.

Plus, you never spoke a word! Grandpapa told me to be nice, but I wasn’t sure how to make things better.
Well, I think you did just fine. Each story that you told me, each flower you picked for me, each walk you took with me here in the woods...
that all made a difference, Alm.
Come on, I didn’t do anything special.
Or maybe you did.
I’m sorry that my first words to you were so unkind.

Hey, I said I’m sorry!
I’ve just never had any friends my age. So I guess I wasn’t used to boys like you.
Well, I’d never met a girl like you, either. Don’t let it get to you.

Why are you so nice to me?
…Why? Do I need a reason?
I mean, I guess it’s because I never knew my parents, I have no siblings… and Grandpapa has always forbid me from setting foot outside the village. You’re like a window to a world that I’ve never had the chance to know.
Is that a good enough reason, or…
…Oh, hey!
What is it?

*Alm shows off his hand*

See this? We have the same mark.
Um, yes? Except yours is on your left hand and mine is on my right…
Well, that makes us close! Er, doesn’t it?

Attraction by birthmark is at least a slightly more concrete reason than "Red heads are my thing"

Ha ha! I suppose it does, in a strange sort of way. I wonder why the marks are so similar.
It’s because they’re special. They prove that the two of us belong together. Always.
That is, if you’re not already tired of a clod like me making you laugh.
Of course not! So…do you mean it? We’ll always be together?

This might be the fastest proposal in Fire Emblem history

Yes. I promise.
Isn’t that what you want?
Yes, of course!
You have my word, I’ll never lea—

*A distant scream was heard*

Huh? That was Faye!
Is she in trouble?
It came from beyond those trees. Come on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOwSrqberGM

*At the far distance where Faye is*

Heh… Looks like our luck’s picked up, eh, Sir Slayde? After days of the same old trees, such cherubic faces are welcome indeed! After all, where little brats play… we’ll find a village, I say.

My men and I, loyal knights in service to His Majesty King Lima IV—
May the powers bless him and his name until the end of days—
Hereby command you to lead us to your miserable line of hovels, where you shall have the honor of dining us and otherwise providing all comforts.
It shall be an evening to remember. So lead on! And make haste, now.
B-but… We can’t just… We’ll get the scolding of our lives if we bring strangers to the village!

Our home is but a small village—to call it a line of hovels is too generous. We do not wish to offend you when you are clearly deserving of so much more.
So please, we humbly implore your great mightiness to—
You. Boy. Have you an older sister?
Er, me? I have two, actually. What about ’em?

We’ll take all the food and drink you can muster—and your sisters can serve it!
I wager we’ll get naught but pig feed and horse piss, but so be it. I shall force it down if I must.
Grrr…
*sniff*
Gods, Kliff, shut your hole! Don’t cry in front of ’em!
B-but Gray…
We should ALL be crying, Gray! We’re not really gonna take ’em to the village, are we?!
Hey, I don’t like it either! If I knew the royal knights were such royal turds, I never would’ve—

If you do not wish to entertain us the one way, you can entertain us the other. Perhaps we shall remove your tiny heads from your shoulders one…by…one.
There's impatience, and then there's malicious. It hasn't even been a minute, dude.
Aaaaah!
You first, filly. Don’t worry, lass— I’ll make a nice, clean cut…
No!

*A rock was thrown at Slayde*

Back off!
Ugh. How many whelps does this blasted village contain?!
Get away from my friends! You’re not going to set one foot in our village!
Is that so? Someone neglected to teach this mangy pup any manners…
*Notices someone behind Alm* Hmm?
*gasp*
You there! Girl! Show me your face. *Grabs her*
No…
By the gods… It really IS her!
Heh heh. How you came to walk among these animals is beyond me.

Seize her!

Not really remotely hiding that Celica is special, between this and the hand mark.

No… L-let me go!
Get your hands off her! *Punches Slayde*
Ooof! *lets go of Celica*
Alm, you did NOT just punch a knight!
Urgh!
You dare raise a hand to me?! You baseborn…barn-bred… So be it. You will stave off your death sentences no longer—especially you! *Readies weapon*
Ah!
Ha ha ha! The Mother can’t save you now, brat!
Alm! Look out!

*A spear clashes*

*gasp* Grandpapa?
What? Mycen?! What are you doing in a backwater wasteland like—
…Ah. But I think I know.
……
Now, this…this is indeed good fortune. We never finished what we started in the flames that night, old man. I have much to repay you for.
…I mustn’t forget ALL my virtues, after all.

Run to the cemetery up ahead. Go on now.
What? Why? What are you gonna do?
Now, Alm! All of you! RUN!
A-all right. Come on, guys!

Tae fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 2, 2018

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Oh boy. Been waiting to see an LP of this game.

Should be fun.

Lot of weird differences to the rest of the series that I like.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Oh boy I love this game and for those who are wondering, the voice acting is excellent.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A Grave Situation

Mycen and the kids arrive at the cemetery

With the enemy group behind, they're kinda trapped now.

Listen well, children. We will drive these ruffians away, but you must follow my every command.
What? But we’re no match for them!
…You’re serious, Grandpapa?
He’s ALWAYS serious. It’s just that this time, he’s also crazy!
We can’t do this! Half a dozen children can’t win against mounted knights!

This is the rare occasion of it actually being true. The knights massively outstat the kids even on normal, especially with how this game does numbers.

I…I want my mother…
I wanna go home!

…!
The only way you’re going home is by fighting as if your life depends on it!
Alm! Celica!
Uh, sir!
I trust you two remember some of what I’ve taught you of the sword.
Now clear the mind, steady the hand, and show me what you’ve learned. Only you can get yourselves through this!

Despite the "pep talk", none of the kids will see combat here. It's going to be a Mycen solo for this tutorial battle.

First, get yourselves to a safer position! Keep your distance from the enemy. Don’t try to pursue them!

We'll take a look at the kid units, since this is the only time they'll used in this game.

Alm

Units in SoV can only equip one item total, and they have a basic weapon to fend for themselves.

Celica

Celica has a +1 on her attack stat because the Golden Dagger's is 1 Might. It's a good quick visual on how many stats an equipped item gives, if at all.

Gray

Faye

Tobin

Kliff

Mycen

Here we see that Mycen is quite literally three to six times stronger than a child. There's a joke about Jeigan archtypes babysitting the intro, but this takes it to a new level.

The soldiers are in comparison...not too impressive.

Not exactly the cream of Zofia's crop.

Even Slayde isn't too much for Mycen, but he certainly backs his threat of being able to kill kids.

Take shelter in the trees there. They can provide cover. Remember, always use the surrounding terrain to your advantage!

The first major thing that'll trip up people is how massive the evasion boosts are. Tombstones gives a full 60% avoidance to any unit standing on it. Forests aren't at a shabby 40% either. Forests in other games give at most 20%.

A main thing to remember for this game compared to iterations made after Gaiden is that double attacking only requires one speed higher than the enemy.

The enemy range button shows off that the kids are just out of range, letting Mycen safely take out the forces.

You’ve done all you can for now. Now brace for their attack!

Mycen will camp on a tombstone for that massive evasion boost to end the turn.

A small feature to note. Characters will chirp their catchphrase the first time you select them per battle. Full-voice acting goes every crevice.

Another evolution of the 3DS games are battle transitions where the character that starts physical combat is already moving forward. This gives a feeling of momentum instead of them just standing still at the start.

Animations are also more kinetic in general, as it leans in more towards using dodge/block to start off the counterattack. Also, who doesn't love a good horse kick attack?

Not many survived the Mycen Massacre, especially the default combat forecast. As seen a little above, the original combat forecast doesn't really give much information besides telling you if you're doubling.

The "simplified" forecast gives your standard Fire Emblem info like hit rate, damage, and crit values.

Don't be tricked by Slayde's passiveness. You don't want to engage him while he's camping on the gravestone, as he'll stay on it an extra turn to give off the appearance that he's there forever.

He'll move off it eventually, and attack Mycen while he has the grave advantage.

But not today. I must return to the castle. General Desaix will be eager to learn that we have found…her.
The princess who refuses to die. Heh heh heh…

Slayde doesn't topple over with his dead horse, because he's not dead. A lesson that took like 4 games to learn, presentation-wise.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Echoes! A very awkward game on account of still being a pretty NES game, but one I enjoy quite a bit. The characters are nice and mechanics are just different from normal FE to feel, well, different. I wouldn't want FE to be like it forever, but it's nice as it's own thing.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
This is a very weird game, and I love it.

Also it needs constant repeating, but the voicework in this game is top-notch.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

theshim posted:

This is a very weird game, and I love it.

Also it needs constant repeating, but the voicework in this game is top-notch.
Indeed. Admittedly, we'll have to wait a bit before we get to some of the very good voice work since we're in the tutorial sections, but once the game gets going, the performances do not let the player down. Hell, even the DLC content has great voice acting, especially from the Cipher characters, since SoV is literally the first proper western debuts for all 4 characters.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Another new Fire Emblem LP? Count me in. I've never played this game, or Gaiden, so I'm actually curious about the story for once.

So far the mechanics aren't too unique yet, apart from the monstrous avoidance rates.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Just wait; the mechanics get weird. In a good way.

It's a very different game from the rest of the series.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yay! This one's fun. And yes, another voice to the "Voice acting is amazing" parade. The post-game dungeon is also really fun. But I think I'm getting ahead of myself.

Whatever happened to the Fates LP? Did it just die, or did I lose track of it?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I need to finish this game because I got myself stuck in the realm of eternal grinding. But man, it's great, and I love the characters. The voice acting really helps with that.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

hopeandjoy posted:

Echoes! A very awkward game on account of still being a pretty NES game, but one I enjoy quite a bit. The characters are nice and mechanics are just different from normal FE to feel, well, different. I wouldn't want FE to be like it forever, but it's nice as it's own thing.

Yeah! And look at it this way; what would've been more awkward? A remake that's mostly faithful to what the original game did? Or the awkward mish-mash of old and new mechanics we got in Shadow Dragon? The one that implemented the Weapon Triangle...and then forgot that like, 90% of its enemies were lance-users? The one that made Weapon Weight mostly irrelevant? But then neglected to adjust the CH 1-3 bosses accordingly?

Seems to me that with remakes, you either have to do very little to the gameplay (like this did), or REALLY go ham on it (like the Final Fantasy IV Remake).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

A Parting Promise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBITOlgjm5o

Look at ’em run, Grandpapa!
So, wait. HOW did we do that. exactly?
Ha ha! It’s all in the wrist.

I guess the writers expected most people to try and get the kids to fight. Maybe if you camp them on the gravestone enough, they won't die...?

You wish. We only survived because we did exactly as Sir Mycen commanded.
Oh yeah? Does that mean Sir Mycen commanded you to sob like a baby?
How can you guys joke about this?
Grandpapa, Celica, that was great!

……

Meanwhile, the truth of the fight is weighing down on these two.

What? You’re not happy?
We saved the village from those despicable knaves! We’re heroes!
I mean, if nothing else, we’re not dead. You could at least crack a smile.
Alm, you don’t understand.
Now that they know Celica is here, they will stop at nothing. It’s no longer safe for her to stay in the village.
…What? But…why? It doesn’t have to be like that.
Tell him, Celica!
I’m so sorry, Alm. I know that you would have kept your promise.
Don’t apologize, Celica. Just… Just tell me that this is a mistake! That you don’t have to go!

From the previous conversations, Celica wasn't here long in the first place. Must've been a fun few months.

Get back to the village and pack your things, Celica. Hurry.
Yes, sir…
Hold on a second! Explain this to me, Grandpapa. Why are you making her leave? I want to know!
No, my boy—I fear that’s a page you don’t want to turn.
…Not yet, at any rate.
Oh, great. Now you’re talking in riddles?
I won’t let you do this to her! She needs me!

Whoah, Alm. You're starting to sound a bit creepy.

Celica has proven she has the strength to make hard choices. Yet what of you?
Please… Don’t take her away…
Alm… Would you mind looking after something for me?

This is your good-luck charm. You never take this off! It’s…special.
Yes, it is. And now it’s yours. I want you to keep it close always. As close as you would have kept me.
My mother gave that to me. Not that I actually remember, but…
Celica, I can’t take this from you.
You’re not taking it, I’m giving it. I pray that it keeps you safe.
Take care, Alm.
Wait… Celica!

*Time passed, back at the village*

We don’t know why she’s leaving, or even where she’s going. And whatever Sir Mycen knows, he isn’t telling the likes of us.
Hey, not everything is our business. I just feel bad for her, you know? She and Alm are different from us.
Different? In what way?
In every way.

Before you ask, no. Gray doesn't know anything. He just has "a feeling."

*At the edge of the forest exit*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50xmVL7mQfQ

Yes. If I try to say good-bye to him, I’ll just end up crying.
Grandp— Er, Sir Mycen? Where will I go next?
Hmm… I have a place in mind. Perhaps it’s time to call on an old friend. Under his care, I am certain your enemies will never find you.
Forgive an old knight for failing you, Princess. Had the Mother willed it… I would have stayed by your side and protected you to my dying days.
But I cannot leave Ram Village. Not yet.
You don’t need to apologize, Sir Mycen. I regret nothing.
The days I spent here with you and Alm were wonderful. The experiences I had and the friends I made all mean the world to me.
You don’t have to be my shining knight, Sir Mycen—

Of course.
*At a distance* CELICA!
…Alm?

Alm! You came for me.
I want to make a new promise. One day, when I’m older and stronger, I’m going to find you. It doesn’t matter where the world hides you or how long it takes. I promise to find you.
So please…don’t forget me, okay?
I could never forget you, Alm. And I promise too. I’ll be waiting for the day we can meet again. But for now,
I have to go.

*Mycen rides off to the horizon*

Yes, child?
…Do you think I’ll ever see him again?
I do.
So long as destiny wills it.
Destiny… So be it.

Late title card ahoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVkwxQU-eIU

We now get the history of Valentia's history and that which will take place.

Narrator: Once, the gods themselves walked these lands. Our continent of Valentia was home to two of them: sibling gods named Duma and Mila. The elder god, Duma, believed mankind must be ruled by strength, lest we become corrupt, while his sister, Mila, believed we should be free to pursue lives of pleasure and comfort. The two clashed ceaselessly.

It was a long, dark age before the bitter conflict was resolved with the binding of a divine accord. Valentia would be divided in twain—with Duma ruling the north and Mila ruling the south—and in order to secure a lasting peace, each pledged never to violate the other’s dominion. For millennia, this accord was honored, and peace did indeed reign.

In time, the Kingdom of Zofia, which Mila founded in the south, prospered with the goddess’s love and blessings. Hers were a happy people who knew no toil and lived free of hardship. But Mila’s gifts spoiled the Zofians, and it was only a matter of time before they sank into depravity.

Meanwhile, in the north, Duma had built his own empire. Tempered by harsh lands and the even harsher teachings of their fierce god, the people of Rigel had grown strong. But in their quest for power, the Rigelians had let their hearts grow cold and numb to all kindness.

Both halves of the continent were in a fragile state, and the cracks had begun to show. And now, Valentia lies on the cusp of a terrible war that could forever alter its history…

The Village Kids

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Tae posted:

guess the writers expected most people to try and get the kids to fight. Maybe if you camp them on the gravestone enough, they won't die...?

On Normal, with smart play, it’s possible for the kids to beat one of the cavaliers if they gang up on it. Not at all worth it considering you don’t get xp on this but map, but it is possible

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Tae posted:

This might be the fastest proposal in Fire Emblem history

I'd still say Chrom and Olivia take the cake if you arrange for it.

"You did NOT just punch a knight!" is a good line.

...huh, Celica actually starts with the golden dagger. I either wasn't paying attention, or completely managed to forget that.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am glad to see that you are lping this game Tae as overall I quite liked what the game does, especially in regards to voice acting.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Heck yeah, I just bought this game a few weeks ago and I loved it, despite some absolute BS maps. Grieth's Fortress! :argh:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Fionordequester posted:

Yeah! And look at it this way; what would've been more awkward? A remake that's mostly faithful to what the original game did? Or the awkward mish-mash of old and new mechanics we got in Shadow Dragon? The one that implemented the Weapon Triangle...and then forgot that like, 90% of its enemies were lance-users? The one that made Weapon Weight mostly irrelevant? But then neglected to adjust the CH 1-3 bosses accordingly?

Seems to me that with remakes, you either have to do very little to the gameplay (like this did), or REALLY go ham on it (like the Final Fantasy IV Remake).

I'd honestly argue that Shadow Dragon was at least as faithful of a remake as Echoes is, if not more so. The reason it might seem otherwise is that most of the changes Shadow Dragon made brought it more in line with the modern games, while Echoes' changes are mostly entirely new mechanics/systems with no real precedent in the series to date. This works to Echoes' benefit imo, giving it even more of a unique feel.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
This is right up my alley because I love everything about Echoes except actually playing it sometimes.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Another Tae FE LP. Count me in! Looking forward to seeing all the quirks of this game, cause I remember it being pretty different to modern FE

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Cattail Prophet posted:

I'd honestly argue that Shadow Dragon was at least as faithful of a remake as Echoes is, if not more so. The reason it might seem otherwise is that most of the changes Shadow Dragon made brought it more in line with the modern games, while Echoes' changes are mostly entirely new mechanics/systems with no real precedent in the series to date. This works to Echoes' benefit imo, giving it even more of a unique feel.

It also ruined the weapon differences by adding bonuses that made every weapon samey except when countered.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
This is already looking better than Fates.

Nice.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Cattail Prophet posted:

Well, I'll agree on the wonderful changes and mechanics Echoes DID introduce. I still ADORE Mila's Turnwheel, as it basically solves one of the most significant flaws Fire Emblem had as a series: The way all your progress could immediately be undone just by the tiniest of mistakes.

I'll have to disagree on the faithfulness of Shadow Dragon, though. Especially when we've got stuff like Cain no longer being able to use Javelins, or Cord no longer being able to use Hand Axes :sigh: .

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

"Ok fellows, brainstorming time. Who gets voiced with a try-hard growly voice?

The generic soldier, obviously.

Ok, and what kind of voice does our Kefka-esque psycho get?

A boring normal one, duh!

Brilliant. Meeting adjourned."

Which is odd, because the kids are actually voiced quite well.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
gently caress yes it's the prettiest fire emblem ever

which goes a long way to make up for all the 25-year old jank that tae is sure to cover extensively

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Chance of Encounter

Seven years have passed, but one year before the media res opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzgC7s5qb7Y

Alm and Mycen spar an intense match to start off the Act.

Well done, Alm. We’ll end today’s training here. Your swordsmanship has come a long way. I’ve always known you had talent.
You really think so?
You’re not just saying that, are you, Grandfather?
Either I’m getting old or you’re getting better—and we both know I’m not old.
Ha! Well, good. Then that means you’re ready to let me travel outside the village.

Yeesh. Alm still hasn't left the place? It's not exactly a big place. I would go crazy.

But why?! I’m not a child anymore. You just said I can fend for myself! If I meet with any dangers, I’ll have my sword and my wits.
Alm, that’s not what this is about.
Then what IS it about?
Alm…

People are starving, and many have turned to thievery and plunder. Brigands loot villages for a mere sack of grain, and soon they’ll be at OUR door!
And don’t think I haven’t heard what the Rigelian army has been up to. They’ve been crossing the border for years in violation of the Divine Accord. And with that sacred bond broken, now the Terrors have resurfaced as well…

Ram Village must be a common trade outpost if he's able to hear all this without being able to leave. Bigger question is what happened to the Zofian army that came back for round 2 on Celica. Did we miss more Mycen solos?

…All true.

Please, Grandfather. I want to make a difference in a world bigger than a handful of houses. I want to see all the amazing places you’ve told me about—
That Celica told me about!
Suppose you do set forth with your sword and your wits. So what?
……

Before you dream of changing the world, learn your damned place in it.
And no more talk of leaving. *Mycen enters back into the house and slams the door shut*

To be fair, if Alm died to a common thief, that's kinda your fault for being a bad teacher.

…What’s his problem?! Why teach me to use a sword if you’re not going to let me fight?
Every day in this place is exactly the same as the next. I know I’m meant for more than this!
But you have to let me find it!

*A horse neighs in the distance and a crowd starts a loud chatter*

Huh? What’s all the commotion? It’s coming from the gates. Hmm…

Music OST: Serenity

The newest thing added to Shadows of Valentia is the ability to explore via first person investigation. You can talk to people, pick up items in the background, and Alm will comment on even the most mundane things.

The bottom screen is a map of the area, with a pulsing red circle meaning Story Progression.

Observations by Alm will be underlined

Orange Tree- Heh. I remember climbing this orange tree as a kid. Even fell out of it once.

Sheep- Grandfather raises sheep. They're cute ald all, but also kind of jerks.

Scorched Marks- Kliff scorched the wall here while practicing some fire spell....

Firewood- This is where we chop wood. ...I know. Thrilling.

We pick up 2 Oranges and a Splitting Axe next to the firewood. These items have their uses later on when the mechanics come up. Alm moves on to the town square.

Well- The village lives or dies by this well.

Alm picks up Carrot, Flour and Drinking Water here. Now to talk to the citizens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm730BW_TGU

It’s been years since we’ve had a proper harvest. Can’t grow much without rain…
Why has Mila forsaken us? What’s happened to the Earth Mother? She’s killing us by withholding her blessings. The Rigelian Empire will seize our lands and we’ll be too weak to resist…
You’ve heard how well trained their soldiers are, haven’t you? We’ve never toiled or fought for a thing, and we’re about to pay for it…

As you can expect, being so well-off without working hard tends to bite harder on people that never had to deal with the consequences.

Greedy Old Man: But alas, it’s been ages since anyone made a new batch. Valentia’s fanciest nobles would send orders for Ram wine from far and wide. If there are any bottles left, they’re like to be aged to perfection by now. A wine that mature would taste absolutely incredible! I’d give anything for one more glass before Mother Mila calls me home…

So these types of NPCs are the only ones that don't get voiced lines. Quest givers want a specific item or deed done in exchange for valuable items.

I still remember when you were only THIS tall, and now look at you. Sir Mycen has certainly made a strong young man out of you.
I say “Sir” Mycen, but the story is your grandfather was once a famous general. General Mycen! Ha! I always wondered why such a fellow would end up here.
Then again, the woods around Ram have become dangerous as of late. Perhaps it’s for the best that we have him—and YOU—to keep us safe!

King Lima dances at the end of Chancellor Desaix’s puppet strings. The king would rather eat grapes and frolic in a seraglio than actually rule. It’s no wonder the kingdom’s being torn apart by rebellion after rebellion.
I wish someone would come along and save us from ourselves already.
…What’s that? The Mother Mila?
Pah! Like I’d waste my prayers on a goddess as useless as her.

Centuries of prosperity and the one time she's seemingly absent, she's chopped liver. Harsh.

Now to actually move on to the village entrance, where the commotion started.

Alm! Hey. This fellow’s here to see Sir Mycen. He was just about to tell us more.

I see. What does everyone else think about this?

Gray

Sorry, pal, but I still can’t trust a man in full armor. Keep one hand on your hilt while you talk to this guy, yeah?

Gray still feeling the trauma from almost being murdered by Slayde.

Tobin

A knight—can you believe it? What’s he doing in OUR village?
You’d have to practically ride off the edge of the map to find this place!

Faye

Alm! How was sword practice? Everything go okay?
Sir Mycen is far too hard on you… I hope you don’t have any new bruises!

Kliff

He’s sure come a long way just to find a whole lot of nothing…
Whatever he’s here for, I hope he hasn’t brought any trouble with him.

Okay, now let's find out what the red guy's deal with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1-Oi43Z-s4

My name is Lukas. I fight for the Deliverance.

The “Deliverance”? What’s that? Aren’t you one of the Knights of Zofia? The king’s knights?
Oh, I see. I suppose that means word hasn’t yet reached your village.
In that case, please forgive me for heralding such dark news, but…

He met his end some days ago at the hands of Chancellor Desaix.

...drat, newsfeed sucks in Rams Village.

What? You’re saying it was regicide?!

Music: Disquiet

No doubt they promised him lands. Perhaps even a title. Upon Lima’s death, the chancellor and the Rigelian army seized Zofia Castle and began to visit unspeakable injustices upon the king’s people.
Sir Clive—of the Knights of Zofia you mentioned—would have none of it. He formed an army to free us from Rigel and named it the Deliverance.
However, we are outmatched and fast losing this war. We need a hero’s aid.
And so I have come to the home of one of Zofia’s greatest heroes: Sir Mycen.

I'm amused by how we went from rumors of chaos in the kingdom and Mycen being a secret backstory to 100% confirming it in the very next area.

Do you see, Alm? Sir Clive would not have sent me were it not urgent. Will you take me to see your grandfather?
Y-yes, of course.

*Alm and Lukas walk together to Mycen's house*

I knew Zofia was in hot water, but is this guy serious?
So there’s going to be a war?
There already is one, from the sound of things.
But that’s…that’s awful! If Sir Mycen rides off to war, what’ll happen to Alm?
You got me.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
So, for those not watching the videos for the voice acting/those that are but can't place the voice:

Alm here shares his voice with good ol' Nines.

Kyle McCarley is great.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

This is such a great villain face. If I was going to start a coup, I'd also spend a ton of time mugging over models of the castle I was planning on conquering.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm kind of surprised that they went out of their way to make a dismounted Mycen model just for one cutscene. Then again, Fates had a special Leo model with his collar inside out that was also only used for one cutscene, so I guess that's just a thing IntSys likes to do nowadays.

And since voice actors are now properly arriving, Lukas is voiced by Greg Chun, who has taken over the role of Ike with Fire Emblem Heroes. And he is also great at making cheesecake, too.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm kind of surprised that they went out of their way to make a dismounted Mycen model just for one cutscene. Then again, Fates had a special Leo model with his collar inside out that was also only used for one cutscene, so I guess that's just a thing IntSys likes to do nowadays.

Mounted characters are separate models from their mounts already, since they fall off when they die. It's one of the great strengths of moving from sprites to 3D, all you need to do is take the existing model and add animation, and you can do whatever you want. Though, as I recall, in Path of Radiance, slain Cavaliers just slumped over on their horses before fading away, because they were all one model.

What's interesting in playing Gaiden/Echoes is that while it was massively different from pretty much the entire series all the way through Radiant Dawn and the DS remakes, between Awakening and Fates, things actually moved a lot closer to what Gaiden had been, so it's neat that they then remade Gaiden, as if inviting comparison.

Now let's see 'em remake FE4.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

EclecticTastes posted:

Mounted characters are separate models from their mounts already, since they fall off when they die. It's one of the great strengths of moving from sprites to 3D, all you need to do is take the existing model and add animation, and you can do whatever you want. Though, as I recall, in Path of Radiance, slain Cavaliers just slumped over on their horses before fading away, because they were all one model.

What's interesting in playing Gaiden/Echoes is that while it was massively different from pretty much the entire series all the way through Radiant Dawn and the DS remakes, between Awakening and Fates, things actually moved a lot closer to what Gaiden had been, so it's neat that they then remade Gaiden, as if inviting comparison.

Oh, that's interesting. I kind of lost interest in FE after the excellent Radiant Dawn, and I was kind of bored with the Awakening LP, (the story just wasn't engaging for some reason) so this is all news to me.

Since this is a Gaiden, will we see any people from Shadow Dragon? This setting seems pretty far removed for Archanea.

EclecticTastes posted:

Now let's see 'em remake FE4.

It's still the best Fire Emblem game they ever made, I'm super mad that they never did a remake :argh:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Torrannor posted:

Oh, that's interesting. I kind of lost interest in FE after the excellent Radiant Dawn, and I was kind of bored with the Awakening LP, (the story just wasn't engaging for some reason) so this is all news to me.

Since this is a Gaiden, will we see any people from Shadow Dragon? This setting seems pretty far removed for Archanea.

Yes: four.

Also Echoes is a good game with a bunch of lovable characters.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Torrannor posted:

It's still the best Fire Emblem game they ever made, I'm super mad that they never did a remake :argh:

The anime levels kind of went through the roof in Awakening and Fates, and what little lip service had been paid to such things as international politics in the Radiant games pretty much evaporated. On the one hand, it's the main reason I'm not as enthusiastic about the new games as I was about earlier titles, but on the other, I'm pretty sure it's the primary reason the series suddenly started to sell like gangbusters so it's not going anywhere.

As for FE4, the reason I joked about them remaking it is they will never, ever do it. They'd have to throw out basically the entire plot and rewrite it from scratch, because there is no chance in hell Nintendo is going to release it as-is.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Why would they have to rewrite the plot

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Tae posted:

Why would they have to rewrite the plot
But of course such plots are... strictly forbidden.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 5, 2018

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016

Xander77 posted:

But of course plots are... forbidden.

and for obvious reasons!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Considering how many jokes they make on it in heroes, it's probably not a problem to them.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The villains do a villainous thing and that's just too much for the publishers of Bayonetta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Did the Emperor even know that she was his half-sister?

Any other reasons why there won't be a remake of FE4?

Edit for LP relevant content: I like that you can get these small conversation in this RPG like gameplay feature. Grinding supports to learn tidbits about your team was never really fun. Looking it up on Serenes is also not the same. Are there still supports in this game?

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jun 5, 2018

• Locked thread