Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I think LATAM wins the award for the least leg room possible for an airline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

caberham posted:

Greetings from the china version of best western: it’s the hanting hotel

Glass doors are the worst loving thing in hotel rooms. Does anybody want those? At all?

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Thoguh posted:

Glass doors are the worst loving thing in hotel rooms. Does anybody want those? At all?

At least there's a privacy film on that thing. Hotel looks pretty clean and with more modern furniture than a Best Western here.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

psydude posted:

Thai Lion Air. I’ll post a picture when I’m back at my desktop, it was tiiiiiiiiny.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Lote posted:

Do you mean like “AA Gold dude lining up 15 min before boarding in the priority line” as a square? Or just pictures of people?

More like “who was staring you down when you got to your seat on this flight”?

Not bingo based on flyer habits because they don’t care. I feel like there are at least 25 different faces.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sellouts posted:

More like “who was staring you down when you got to your seat on this flight”?

Not bingo based on flyer habits because they don’t care. I feel like there are at least 25 different faces.

Like these things? Sorry for the crappy pic, it’s from a past flight.

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

Does anyone have any experience with United upgrades on full fare economy flights? My flight is booked through United and operated by Copa and is a B fare, which the United page claims will be automatically upgraded to First because I'm Platinum. Do I need to call them or something to get it applied?

edit: Apparently I'm eligible for an "automatic" upgrade if I use a upgrade certificate or miles but am otherwise not eligible. This website is confusing.

turing_test fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 20, 2018

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mandalay posted:

Like these things? Sorry for the crappy pic, it’s from a past flight.

Yep! I figured some weirdo would have cataloged them by now. Guess I’m that weirdo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sellouts posted:

Yep! I figured some weirdo would have cataloged them by now. Guess I’m that weirdo.

i'm shocked nobody on FT has done this

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
in a frankfurt hotel I had one of those glass bathrooms with no privacy film so you can watch someone take a a poo poo from your bed

it was a pretty good hotel

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

also on my last trip in italy i stayed in a literal palace so that owned too even though all of the fixtures were old as hell

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

the absolute worst thing i feel like i struggle with on every trip is reliable high speed internet - it doesn't matter how many international plans and phones i bring or how much money i spend on local wifi it just plain sucks in most of europe

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Google Fi has solved that problem for me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mad Wack posted:

in a frankfurt hotel I had one of those glass bathrooms with no privacy film so you can watch someone take a a poo poo from your bed

it was a pretty good hotel

germany, it's a feature

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know the lounge situation at Fiumicino (Italy)?

Probably going to have to kill like 3 or 4 hours before an international flight and I have Priority Pass.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Mad Wack posted:

the absolute worst thing i feel like i struggle with on every trip is reliable high speed internet - it doesn't matter how many international plans and phones i bring or how much money i spend on local wifi it just plain sucks in most of europe

It’s pretty hit or miss but it seems that most new hotel have decent internet.

As much as I love SPG they seem like the worse offender.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

It’s pretty hit or miss but it seems that most new hotel have decent internet.

As much as I love SPG they seem like the worse offender.

I was surprised with how bad the wifi was at the Mandarin in Vegas. It’s becoming a Waldorf soon so I hope they fix it when they refurbish.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
How is connecting in Frankfurt? It looks like my August trip to India will have me going from ORD to FRA on United, and then on to India on Lufthansa, and then the same on the return.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey there when will you be in India? I’m going to stop in Delhi for 4 days August 8. Never been. Goons are already mocking me for flying in 1030pm and say transportation is ultra bad.

Oh well.

And silly question but if you hit high status for cathay like platinum do you get free upgrade from economy? It’s a dream but I hope it’s true. Friend of mine just started a new job and is doing rotating weeks between HKG and PEK

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Just spent almost 30 minutes taxiing across ORD, on top of landing 15 minutes late because we took some weird loving route here from DC. My connection was already on group 6 by the time I made it to the gate.

Good thing I didn’t order a torta, and I’m pissed off about not having any time to go to the flagship lounge. :(

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

Hey there when will you be in India? I’m going to stop in Delhi for 4 days August 8. Never been. Goons are already mocking me for flying in 1030pm and say transportation is ultra bad.

Oh well.

August 3rd through the 11th, in Bangalore. This will be my third time there. I usually leave home sometime Friday, and get into India late Saturday or early Sunday and use Sunday as a day to adapt and rest before working all week. I don't know what Delhi is like, but I can tell you that even at 1:30 in the morning in Bangalore, traffic is bad and the entire trip between the airport and the hotel is an interesting experience.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

drgitlin posted:

Just spent almost 30 minutes taxiing across ORD, on top of landing 15 minutes late because we took some weird loving route here from DC. My connection was already on group 6 by the time I made it to the gate.

Good thing I didn’t order a torta, and I’m pissed off about not having any time to go to the flagship lounge. :(

ORD was a mess last night. I got home an hour late because of departure delays - 1:30 AM. I was in transit/layovers for 26 hours by the time I made it to my driveway from Tallinn.

I would like to stay home for a while now please.

It's 12:15 and I just cracked open a beer. My body thinks it's 7:15 PM. gently caress it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

DJCobol posted:

How is connecting in Frankfurt? It looks like my August trip to India will have me going from ORD to FRA on United, and then on to India on Lufthansa, and then the same on the return.

Frankfurt has some really nice lounges. It's a big airport though. Hope you like walking.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Frankfurt has some really nice lounges. It's a big airport though. Hope you like walking.
Thanks. After a 10 hour flight there and another 9 to India, I'm sure some walking would be good for me. I just hope I'll have time to get some Jägerschnitzel with Kasespaetzle and a Helles between flights. Gotta find some MezzoMix to bring with me for the rest of the trip too.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 21, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Anyone know the lounge situation at Fiumicino (Italy)?

Probably going to have to kill like 3 or 4 hours before an international flight and I have Priority Pass.

I have been in two Alitalia lounges there. Both were fairly nice but very full. The newer terminals of the airport that have an upstairs portion are nice and I would prefer to hang out there for a while than in the lounge. The upstairs of the terminal was quiet and had some nice restaurants and shops.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

psydude posted:

Thank you for saying this. I flew an intra South America flight with them a few months ago, and was amazed how little leg room I had in coach. But then when I looked it up on Seat Guru it didn't seem like less than on US domestic flights so :shrug: :confused:

They also charged for anything besides water. I was wondering why I avoided Sky Air for the "full service" carrier.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

cheque_some posted:

Thank you for saying this. I flew an intra South America flight with them a few months ago, and was amazed how little leg room I had in coach. But then when I looked it up on Seat Guru it didn't seem like less than on US domestic flights so :shrug: :confused:

They also charged for anything besides water. I was wondering why I avoided Sky Air for the "full service" carrier.

I've never flown in a domestic US airline where the legroom was literally less than the length of my thigh. I thought it was just a thing for their Brazilian division the first time around, but then I found myself jammed into one of their micro seats in Colombia so apparently not.

Avianca and Copa are probably the best Latin American airlines, but I'm a slut for Oneworld. Still, I think from now on I'm just going to take one of them instead.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

"hey rear end in a top hat, slow down"

"hey rear end in a top hat, how about not standing in the walk lane of the moving sidewalk and hassling people when they say 'excuse me'"

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

psydude posted:

I'm a slut for Oneworld

Thread title imo

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

"hey rear end in a top hat, slow down"

In an airport? Wha??

Whenever I see someone running/in a rush, I move to the side.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cacafuego posted:

In an airport? Wha??

Whenever I see someone running/in a rush, I move to the side.

I have no shame in admitting that I'll push by people who are standing in the walking lane of the moving sidewalk.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I figured "excuse me" was a friendly enough prompt :shrug:

And it was MSP too. I thought Minnesota was friendly :laffo:

Next time I'll just push by them

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

midwesterners are a slow moving and easily aggrieved people

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
Midwestern nice is real but Minnesota nice is passive aggressiveness

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
My one time experience in MSP walking down the walkway people just moved to the side.

I was like Moses parting the Red Sea. And people said “oh gee he’s in a hurry!”

And yes people are slow as hell

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Minneapolis has awful distances and slow moving midwesterners wearing big 10 sweatshirts. Charlotte is the same except they're Southerners wearing sec polos.

Edit: they all have diabetes and high blood pressure.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 23, 2018

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

On one hand, MSP has great spaces for waiting on connections. On the other, you need those moving walkways because it takes forever to get to your connection even they're in the same terminal.

SeaTac was a mess this morning. Not sure what was going on but the rental shuttles were way out of sync, TSA was unusually bad - the lines were backed up into ticketing even with the dogs out, the vendors in the S terminal couldn't take credit cards, every trash can I passed in the terminal was overflowing, and departures were backed up for some issue on one of the runways. In its favor, they have awesome wifi.

Despite the adventures I arrived on time and get to sleep in my own bed tonight, so I'm not complaining too much.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Enough with airports that aren’t good, what is good?

IAD, DTW and DFW are my votes.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

On a flight to Israel (ugh) the lady behind me PUT HER FOOT ON MY ARMREST. :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

Enough with airports that aren’t good, what is good?

IAD, DTW and DFW are my votes.

There are a few universally acclaimed airports no matter what. For me, Singapore Changi is up at the top, whether I am arriving on a US carrier after a long day in the air or taking a regional jet around the area. It's just nice, and depending on the circumstance, really nice. In fact if you are flying as a lowly shitheel with zero status on some no-name prop plane it's still decent overall.

In the US when it comes to major hubs it really depends on if the airline you are flying or is partnered with is the big dog of said hub. And sometimes even that doesn't matter all that much. I would concede terminal C, which is owned by United in all but name, at EWR is very modern for a US airport but it still sucks, to give one example I am way too familiar with. It just sucks less than the others.