Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Tarin is an explicit Mario reference, you need a Yoshi doll in order to progress, you need a Chain Chomp in order to progress, there’s goombas and piranha plants in the platforming segments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

Tarin is an explicit Mario reference, you need a Yoshi doll in order to progress, you need a Chain Chomp in order to progress, there’s goombas and piranha plants in the platforming segments

Huh, didn't realize Link's Awakening had references to other Nintendo franchises. Funny it never came up in the discussion of the game in the last page or anything.

e: I want to apologize for the tone in this post, I've been reading the latest on a certain political matter people can guess and it's got me very sad and mad and helpless and I took it out on someone who certainly doesn't deserve it and this thread is supposed to be about good things, so I'm really sorry

Zanzibar Ham has a new favorite as of 18:33 on Jun 19, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Huh, didn't realize Link's Awakening had references to other Nintendo franchises. Funny it never came up in the discussion of the game in the last page or anything.

e: I want to apologize for the tone in this post, I've been reading the latest on a certain political matter people can guess and it's got me very sad and mad and helpless and I took it out on someone who certainly doesn't deserve it and this thread is supposed to be about good things, so I'm really sorry

I get it dude, it sucks. I was just listing the references also to distract myself and because I wanted to make them a bit more concrete because a dude listed just one maybe reference in the original zelda and I wanted to back up the other dude with a list of how LA had way more

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Calaveron posted:

I get it dude, it sucks. I was just listing the references also to distract myself and because I wanted to make them a bit more concrete because a dude listed just one maybe reference in the original zelda and I wanted to back up the other dude with a list of how LA had way more

Don't forget that the giant frog that teaches you the Frog Song is pretty much Wart from Super Mario Bros 2.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

so I'm living in a work of fiction and all the recurring places and people in my dreams are just references to other works of fiction by the same author?! :psyduck:

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Pastry of the Year posted:

so I'm living in a work of fiction and all the recurring places and people in my dreams are just references to other works of fiction by the same author?! :psyduck:

I’m sorry you had to find out this way but given the general state of things you really should have been able to figure it out on your own by now.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Then there’s the dream shrine at the center of which is a bed that you go to sleep in, and your dream is that you fight starfish to get an item, which you then pull into the real world, which is itself a dream.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Part of it is just the weird-rear end way it came to be developed: Someone at Nintendo was bored and started porting LttP to GB to learn how to program for the GB, then it got turned into a real port, then a separate project, and just kinda looped around like that. IIRC the Kirby and Mario references were largely so they could use extant sprites to cut down on time or something.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I read that in the Japanese manual it was refered to as some kind of piranha plant, but since I can't read Japanese I can't really confirm. :/

https://legendsoflocalization.com/the-legend-of-zelda/manuals/#manhandla

You're correct. I feel like there was another instance of this, maybe in Metroid, but I can't really remember off the top of my head.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

You're correct. I feel like there was another instance of this, maybe in Metroid, but I can't really remember off the top of my head.

Metroids show up in Kid Icarus as komaytos

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Metroids are also in Kirby's Dream Land 3, but they're just straight up metroids and Samus shows up too.

Yes, they're vulnerable to Ice. No, Kirby, in the mother of all missed opportunities, cannot inhale them.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Well I'll be darned

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When I was younger all the Mario references in Link's Awakening seemed like the devs just going "it's a Game Boy game, who gives a hoot".

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

My Lovely Horse posted:

Metroids are also in Kirby's Dream Land 3, but they're just straight up metroids and Samus shows up too.

Yes, they're vulnerable to Ice. No, Kirby, in the mother of all missed opportunities, cannot inhale them.
Wouldn’t Metroid hat Kirby basically be the same as regular Kirby except he can’t spit and leaves shriveled corpses behind when he eats?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

My Lovely Horse posted:

Dream Land 3 was full of references, too. More than a few of them were very obscure.

Lobok posted:

When I was younger all the Mario references in Link's Awakening seemed like the devs just going "it's a Game Boy game, who gives a hoot".

I just didn't really think of it beyond "That's cool!" Because video games referencing other video games hadn't yet become an insufferable ouroboros.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Lobok posted:

Kaepora Gaebora, for one.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Morpheus posted:

Don't forget that the giant frog that teaches you the Frog Song is pretty much Wart from Super Mario Bros 2.

Not pretty much. Literally is.

His name is Mamu, which is what Wart is called in Japan.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

yook posted:

Wouldn’t Metroid hat Kirby basically be the same as regular Kirby except he can’t spit and leaves shriveled corpses behind when he eats?
I feel like this should be a comic. Best case scenario Awkward Zombie, worst case VGCats.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Calaveron posted:

A cool thing about the chain chomp that I learned 20 years later, is that while he's with you - he can detect secret seashells buried in the ground. So there's actually a benefit to not turning him in right away that's really easy to miss.
Link's Awakening is definitely the best of the GB Zelda's by far. The only thing wrong with the game is having to hit every button at once to save.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

scarycave posted:

Link's Awakening is definitely the best of the GB Zelda's by far. The only thing wrong with the game is having to hit every button at once to save.

That and some of the dungeons are a nightmare to navigate. It's the only Zelda game I've ever needed to look up a walkthrough for.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
In Assassin's Creed Brotherhood you can train a, uh, Brotherhood of assassins. Putting aside how wonderful it is to casually wave your hand and have a murder squad appear at any point, what I love is how smooth their spawning is. The game is clever about it and never just pops them into existence. They will:

- Pop out of nearby haystacks.
- Jump off nearby roofs.
- Clamber up from nearby ledges.
- Suddenly sprint out of a crowd.
- Casually saunter from behind a corner.

It all plays into the fantasy that was this was a planned, coordinated assassination, rather than a more likely panicked call for help! I'm quite sad the system was only used again in the next game, Revelations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
It was also a really nice "I can't be arsed" way to escape situations or get some of the guarded collection items. Just hit the button, your assassins come and kill the guards and you saunter off.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

scarycave posted:

A cool thing about the chain chomp that I learned 20 years later, is that while he's with you - he can detect secret seashells buried in the ground. So there's actually a benefit to not turning him in right away that's really easy to miss.

Wait WHAT?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

ilmucche posted:

It was also a really nice "I can't be arsed" way to escape situations or get some of the guarded collection items. Just hit the button, your assassins come and kill the guards and you saunter off.

God, I loved that. Can't believe it's not in other AC games.

"Oh no, five guards, could sneak around, throw a dagger at this one, get this one before he notices, wait until that one turns aro-gently caress it."
*bolts and blades come in from every direction, all guards dead*

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Safeword posted:

In Assassin's Creed Brotherhood you can train a, uh, Brotherhood of assassins. Putting aside how wonderful it is to casually wave your hand and have a murder squad appear at any point, what I love is how smooth their spawning is. The game is clever about it and never just pops them into existence. They will:

- Jump off nearby roofs.

It all plays into the fantasy that was this was a planned, coordinated assassination, rather than a more likely panicked call for help! I'm quite sad the system was only used again in the next game, Revelations.

Well there was also a lovely version of the mechanic used in 3 too. It was so fun to use in the Ezio games though and I abused the hell out of it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

In MGSV, when you give Quiet a tranq rifle and tell her to "Cover You", she wont let you interrogate anyone, because as soon as you kick them awake she tranqs them again instantly.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I feel like this should be a comic. Best case scenario Awkward Zombie, worst case VGCats.

That's a weird way of writing "Brawl In The Family"

Safeword posted:

- Jump off nearby roofs.

And they build up in a good "You don't gently caress with the Assassins" moment in Revelations where Ezio sends the entire brotherhood against a target and you get unlimited uses of the squads, meaning you can wander inside the compound and just let your dozens of companions murder everything that stands in your way.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Watching my brother play BotW and while sneaking around some bobklins fell asleep next to a campfire. One of them had a wooden club in hand. Which was on top of the fire as they slept.

The Hyrule equivalent of sleeping with a lit cigarette!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Leal posted:

Watching my brother play BotW and while sneaking around some bobklins fell asleep next to a campfire. One of them had a wooden club in hand. Which was on top of the fire as they slept.

The Hyrule equivalent of sleeping with a lit cigarette!

BOTW may be an action game but it really benefots from a player that doesn't constantly rush at things.

I'm gonna play it again!

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

scarycave posted:

The chain chomp can do a lot more than that. Go watch a speed run and see what it gets up to. :)

Chain chomp can eat dialog box triggers, so any NPC that would normally stop you from walking past a tile just wont anymore. You can imagine for the utility of that in a Zelda game. It can also eat enemy spawn triggers and a few other useful to not have around things.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Samuringa posted:

That's a weird way of writing "Brawl In The Family"

Which one?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon might be the greatest work of satire in the video game medium, and it's definitely up there for being the tightest 10 hours of FPS gameplay ever. It's a fast paced shooter set in the far flung cyber-future of 2006 by way of 1983, where a rogue general and his army of cyber commandos threatens to destroy all mankind. It's a perfect, over the top, 100% shameless send up of 1980s action/sci fi movie excess. You play Rex Powercolt, a Mark IV cyber commando voiced by Michael Biehn of Terminator and Aliens fame, an FPS hero that begins the DLC already a hair more powerful than Jason Brody ever becomes in Far Cry 3, and who by the end is an unstoppable killing machine. This game is filled to the loving brim with little things I could mention, but there is one that I want to mention here. All the tropical wildlife from the main game appear in this game, except that they receive cyber upgrades like neon claws and eyes or chrome skin. Not so for the wild boars who, in classic dystopian 80s movie fashion, are covered in gang tag style graffiti.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Blood Dragon has some hilarious details.
-Your melee key doubles as a flip-the-bird button.
-You never take fall damage. Ever. When you're tired of hang gliding, just bail and land with a gigantic, satisfying "thud."
-There are new healing animations complementing your status as a cyborg soldier, such as the one where you grab a welding torch out of nowhere and fix your hand with it.
-Various deeply inane combat and exploration one-liners, delivered by Michael Biehn in a deadpan "what the gently caress am I even reading?" voice.
-Whereas in Far Cry 3 you could see other islands in the far background, the distant background in Blood Dragon is punctuated by the occasional mushroom cloud.
-The treasure map that gives you the locations of "things that aren't yours, but soon will be."
-The loading screen tip about sniper rifles: "close range weapons for when you accidentally select the wrong gun."

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I have no idea what's going on in Black Ops 3 and it's amazing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

EoRaptor posted:

The chain chomp can do a lot more than that. Go watch a speed run and see what it gets up to. :)

Chain chomp can eat dialog box triggers, so any NPC that would normally stop you from walking past a tile just wont anymore. You can imagine for the utility of that in a Zelda game. It can also eat enemy spawn triggers and a few other useful to not have around things.

This is extremely space station 13

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Safeword posted:

I have no idea what's going on in Black Ops 3 and it's amazing.

It's one amazing trip and the ending is so stupid as to become transcendent.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

PubicMice posted:

Which one?

Uh, best. I messed up that post...

(Brawl in the Family is good as hell)

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Some other Blood Dragon loading screen tips:

Mash buttons when taking down enemies and you might just chain your kills.
Need credits? Pilfer bodies. There's absolutely nothing morally objectionable about that.
Need help? The next randomly selected loading screen tip might help.

Also the entire sequence when you're torching the Blood Dragon nest your character has to say, like, 30 badass one-liners about eggs and he's really straining by the end.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Michael Biehn's performance is so good. It's like he's in on the joke that he's not supposed to be in on the joke, it's fantastic.
Is the thing available on ps4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Riatsala posted:

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon might be the greatest work of satire in the video game medium

Strong disagree on that one, pointing out how lovely things like unskippable tutorials and arbitrary collectibles are but still making you do them anyways doesn't magically make them not lovely no matter how much ironic distance and smirking one-liners you surround it with. And it doesn't actually resemble anything made in the 80s, it's the Kung Fury epic bacon mashup of dragons and ninjas and robots on a neon grid that the internet thinks was the 80s for whatever reason awkwardly overlaid on existing Far Cry assets; I think I actually got a headache at one point from the combination of hazy ambient light and bright neon highlights and the weird skybox.

Agreed on the gameplay 100% though. Taking the core gameplay of Far Cry 3 and giving you a super-powered player character with the jump height and health cranked way up is perfect for a digestible adventure where you don't have to pad it out with dozens of hours worth of character progression. And the soundtrack was fantastic because they got an actual retrowave synth musician to do it and licensed the band from Miami Connection for the credits.