Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
What is that bill of rights madness, what the gently caress, you'd think things like fair justice etc would be in there, not underground loving imaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
There's also nothing about free speech

That is in precedent from the High Court deeming it an implied right for representative politics to work.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
I can't remember whether this is a popular opinion or not but seriously, gently caress having a Bill of Rights.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Whitlam posted:

I can't remember whether this is a popular opinion or not but seriously, gently caress having a Bill of Rights.

I was thinking about this today, what stops the government from doing horrible things to refugees? Law. Except that government controls law and can change them at will. So you need something above that which the courts can hold the government accountable to, which can only be changed by the public, in our case it's the constitution, so wouldn't enshrining certain rights in the constitution be a good thing? I agree you need to be careful about it, but it's a handbrake on government action that goes beyond "we repealed all the laws that protect you so eat poo poo".

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

hooman posted:

I was thinking about this today, what stops the government from doing horrible things to refugees? Law. Except that government controls law and can change them at will. So you need something above that which the courts can hold the government accountable to, which can only be changed by the public, in our case it's the constitution, so wouldn't enshrining certain rights in the constitution be a good thing? I agree you need to be careful about it, but it's a handbrake on government action that goes beyond "we repealed all the laws that protect you so eat poo poo".
Good luck getting a referendum to pass to add basic human rights to the Constitution.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

CrazyTolradi posted:

Good luck getting a referendum to pass to add basic human rights to the Constitution.

Sneak it in the side door by making it only protect middle class (means tested!) or better white men and small business owners, then expand it over time

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

hooman posted:

What is that bill of rights madness, what the gently caress, you'd think things like fair justice etc would be in there, not underground loving imaging.

I remember Nick McKim, I think, posting about how we need a bill of rights because we're the only democracy that doesn't have one, which is crazy untrue, it's uniquely American and bad and ignored. "Cruel and unusual punishment", yet regular torture and botched executions, 13th amendment explicitly allowing enslavement of ten percent of the population, etc

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

NTRabbit posted:

Sneak it in the side door by making it only protect middle class (means tested!) or better white men and small business owners, then expand it make it worse over time

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Billboards from a Victorian government campaign that aims to encourage conversations between Indigenous and non-Indigenous people have been pulled because the Outdoor Media Association said they were potentially in breach of rules against racial vilification.

The “Deadly Questions” campaign has been rolled out by Aboriginal Victoria as part of the push toward a treaty between the state and Aboriginal people.

It encourages non-Indigenous people to ask questions they had been afraid to ask of Aboriginal people for fear of being branded ignorant or racist and provides video or written responses from individual Aboriginal people around the state.

Questions already on the site include “Why should I be sorry for something I didn’t do?” and “Can you get more welfare if you’re Aboriginal?”

A number of those questions were due to be plastered around Melbourne on billboards operated by APN Outdoor.

But the contract was dropped after APN Outdoor referred the material to the Outdoor Media Association (OMA), which in turn referred them to Ad Standards.

In a statement, OMA said two of the seven proposed ads were found to potentially be in breach of the section of the Australian Association of National Advertisers code of ethics banning racial vilification.

“While we recognise the purpose of the advertisement is to raise awareness of an important issue and that the advertisement is meant to provoke a reaction and drive visitation to the website, Ad Standards advised that two of the executions could potentially be found in breach of section 2.1 of the AANA code of ethics if the advertisement attracted complaints,” a spokeswoman from OMA said. “This information was provided to our OMA members.”

The Aboriginal affairs minister, Natalie Hutchins, said it appeared the advertising body had missed the point of the campaign.

“I’m disappointed by APN’s decision and this unfortunately proves why we need to have a campaign like Deadly Questions,” Hutchins said.

The chief executive of APN Outdoor, James Warburton, said that submitting advertising material to OMA and Ad Standards for review was its usual practice, and later told the agency that created the ads that it had been advised two of the ads were potentially in breach of the code of ethics.

The ads were then pulled from APN Outdoor, but will run on JC Decaux, which also does outdoor advertising and tram wrappers.

A spokeswoman from Aboriginal Victoria said the questions were meant to be challenging, and said it was ironic that in challenging racism it could be accused of racial vilification.

“We understand that some of the questions asked by the public – and that we are repeating in the campaign — are provocative, but that’s the point,” she said. “To have an open discussion we need to acknowledge that some ugly viewpoints exist.”

Aboriginal Victoria said it needed the media to support the process, which it said would break down barriers as part of the path toward negotiating a treaty.

“It’s incredibly disappointing to have APN and the OMA dictate what they think is appropriate with regards to discrimination, when these questions are ones that we invited, are providing responses to, and represent the real conversation that Victorians want to have,” she said.

Legislation to establish the supporting framework for negotiating a treaty or treaties with Aboriginal Victorians, including the framework around a representative body that has been likened to the proposed Indigenous voice to parliament, is due to be debated in the upper house this week.

If it passes, it will be the first legislation formally signalling an intent to negotiate a treaty with Aboriginal people in any Australian jurisdiction.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Rude exemption of what "deadly" means

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Lid posted:

“While we recognise the purpose of the advertisement is to raise awareness of an important issue and that the advertisement is meant to provoke a reaction and drive visitation to the website, Ad Standards advised that two of the executions could potentially be found in breach of section 2.1 of the AANA code of ethics if the advertisement attracted complaints,” a spokeswoman from OMA said. “This information was provided to our OMA members.”

There's a whole drat process here including the complaint that wasn't actually made being judged for appropriateness by the industry group then submitted to a community panel, and the worst that could've happened was they'd've been made to take the ads down

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

hooman posted:

I'll try and keep it as brief as I can for the sake of everyone reading, but my reasons for opposing (what I'll call a Charter, but could be a Bill of Rights, etc.) essentially boil down to:

1. In practice, I think you could achieve the desired outcomes through regular legislation, so;
2. It'd be a huge and unnecessary expense;
3. We can barely pass one referendum at a time, let alone an entire Charter;
4. Depending on who writes it, it could well end up loving things even more (for instance, I think our treatment of refugees is abhorrent, but I can't imagine the current government writing a Charter which would rectify that), which means that;
5. By enshrining it within the Constitution, it becomes even harder to alter or repeal as cultural values and society change, which can be good but can also be a negative, especially since;
6. We'd likely have to rehash some old battles - for instance, it'd be hard to imagine such a Bill not including some kind of "right to life", and living in the state with the least restrictive abortion laws, gently caress having that fight all over again, and even worse, losing, which would;
7. Potentially gently caress over individual states which are already doing good things (again, see abortion law) and infringe on states' rights (:freep:); and
8. Create confusion if there's a discrepancy between the Constitution and the Charter; and
9. Entrenching rights also defines and limits them, and if that leads to a poor outcome, again, good luck rectifying that without even more time and expense, since legislation can be changed at the drop of a hat, but the Constitution can't.

I don't discount a Charter as being inherently bad - that is, I can see some pros - but I think it has the potential to do a lot more harm than good, and at this point into our history and jurisprudence, I don't see it as something we couldn't possibly live without. If you were starting a new country from scratch, or in the aftermath of some great disaster or war or something, fine, but for what it would offer, where we are now, and the potential ways it could go wrong? I'd need a lot more to convince me.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Primary schools across Australia have begun sending letters about the video game Fortnite to parents, warning of its “negative effects” on students.

Several schools in New South Wales and Victoria have issued newsletters about the popular multiplayer game, which is played by an estimated 40 million people worldwide.

Sydney’s Bondi Beach public school told parents there had been “a noticeable change in some behaviours in the classroom and in the playground, that are directly linked to Fortnite”.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Lid posted:

Primary schools across Australia have begun sending letters about the video game Fortnite to parents, warning of its “negative effects” on students.

Several schools in New South Wales and Victoria have issued newsletters about the popular multiplayer game, which is played by an estimated 40 million people worldwide.

Sydney’s Bondi Beach public school told parents there had been “a noticeable change in some behaviours in the classroom and in the playground, that are directly linked to Fortnite”.

lol they can go back to playing Grand Theft Auto Online I guess.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Whitlam posted:

I'll try and keep it as brief as I can for the sake of everyone reading, but my reasons for opposing (what I'll call a Charter, but could be a Bill of Rights, etc.) essentially boil down to:

1. In practice, I think you could achieve the desired outcomes through regular legislation, so;
2. It'd be a huge and unnecessary expense;
3. We can barely pass one referendum at a time, let alone an entire Charter;
4. Depending on who writes it, it could well end up loving things even more (for instance, I think our treatment of refugees is abhorrent, but I can't imagine the current government writing a Charter which would rectify that), which means that;
5. By enshrining it within the Constitution, it becomes even harder to alter or repeal as cultural values and society change, which can be good but can also be a negative, especially since;
6. We'd likely have to rehash some old battles - for instance, it'd be hard to imagine such a Bill not including some kind of "right to life", and living in the state with the least restrictive abortion laws, gently caress having that fight all over again, and even worse, losing, which would;
7. Potentially gently caress over individual states which are already doing good things (again, see abortion law) and infringe on states' rights (:freep:); and
8. Create confusion if there's a discrepancy between the Constitution and the Charter; and
9. Entrenching rights also defines and limits them, and if that leads to a poor outcome, again, good luck rectifying that without even more time and expense, since legislation can be changed at the drop of a hat, but the Constitution can't.

I don't discount a Charter as being inherently bad - that is, I can see some pros - but I think it has the potential to do a lot more harm than good, and at this point into our history and jurisprudence, I don't see it as something we couldn't possibly live without. If you were starting a new country from scratch, or in the aftermath of some great disaster or war or something, fine, but for what it would offer, where we are now, and the potential ways it could go wrong? I'd need a lot more to convince me.

That doesn't sound very good

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

I bet the drop in 'youth crime' is that the aboriginal officers aren't keen to arrest them for the crime of being aboriginal in public

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The only good cop is... an indigenous cop?

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

The only good cop is... an indigenous cop?

The only good cop is a deadly cop.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Greens just voted in support of the Stage 2 personal tax cut plan.

Traitors.

They accidentally voted in support of it, while trying to vote against a Labor amendment

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Whitlam posted:

The only good cop is a deadly cop.

concerning

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Thought I would have heard it here first but the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre is doing a massive telethon today on World Refugee Day. They got a bunch of celebrities on the phones (Shaun Micallef :swoon:) as well as an online auction and they are smashing their targets. All up it looks like a surprisingly slick operation to me.

Consider chucking them some money ya bums

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

quote:

Turnbull: Okay, I will explain why. It is not because they are bad people. It is because in order to stop people smugglers, we had to deprive them of the product. So we said if you try to come to Australia by boat, even if we think you are the best person in the world, even if you are a Nobel Prize-winning genius, we will not let you in. Because the problem with the people — 

Trump: That is a good idea. We should do that too. You are worse than I am. 

Turnbull: This is our experience.

This is doing my head in at the moment. Our policy is evil, there's no high road for Australians, but now we''ve inspired a madman to reality shearing levels of evil. I found myself genuinely pondering the "worst timeline" cliche today. And since apparently losing your children is the price I know why people don't riot and guillotine. But we should.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-20/burning-kites-from-gaza-damage-farms-forest-in-israel/9891734

on second thought delete the abc

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

drunkill posted:

Traitors.

They accidentally voted in support of it, while trying to vote against a Labor amendment

https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/1009372467041746944

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
What the gently caress Greens

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

drunkill posted:

Traitors.

How do you accidentally vote for something you're actively against?

Whoops I voted for Clive Plamer but really I'm against being a total cockhead.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

How do you accidentally vote for something you're actively against?

[checks notes]

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Is that a joke or can you really trick a senator into a vote and then say no backsies?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

AgentF posted:

Thought I would have heard it here first but the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre is doing a massive telethon today on World Refugee Day. They got a bunch of celebrities on the phones (Shaun Micallef :swoon:) as well as an online auction and they are smashing their targets. All up it looks like a surprisingly slick operation to me.

10bux sent. They are 20k short of the 800K they want, with 10 minutes to go.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Wait so the fumble didn't actually result in the bill getting passed did it?

Because accident or not, that's a serious indictment of their ability to represent the members.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Is that a joke or can you really trick a senator into a vote and then say no backsies?

They weren't tricked, they were incompetent and hosed up.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

AgentF posted:

Cool, just put $50 in for this.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Whitlam posted:

please, like you've never been stuck in a meeting and failed to ask 'wait, what the gently caress are we voting on' before now.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

thatbastardken posted:

please, like you've never been stuck in a meeting and failed to ask 'wait, what the gently caress are we voting on' before now.

I've never been in a meeting where anything actually mattered enough that if I fell asleep it would matter.

Did this actually get it to pass? Because if so, wow.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Whitlam posted:

Seems like both to me.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

AgentF posted:

Seems like both to me.

Genuine question because my understanding is it was pretty much a knee-jerk reaction to opposing a Labor amendment and I'm sure it may well be more complex than that, but how were they tricked?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Whitlam posted:

Genuine question because my understanding is it was pretty much a knee-jerk reaction to opposing a Labor amendment and I'm sure it may well be more complex than that, but how were they tricked?

By being idiots

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

iajanus posted:

By being idiots

And apparently the gag on discussion of the bills made it unclear exactly what bill & amendment was being voted on at any given time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

GoldStandardConure posted:

And apparently the gag on discussion of the bills made it unclear exactly what bill & amendment was being voted on at any given time.

Until shown any evidence about this being more complicated than it sounds I'm prepared to believe they just hosed up the "oppose Labor" thing they were going for, by being muppets.