Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Witch doctor, let your minions swarm everything while you cast pirahnado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think wizard with the disintegration beam is the most distilled D3 essence.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I was gonna go with wizard cause of the cool down discussion a while back, but I recently watched a guy play D2 summon Necro which looked rad, and apparently WD is their spiritual successor

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I mean nothing really replicates it in the game, but it's close.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Wow, I got to say I'm impressed by what D3 looks like in 2018 compared to 2012... the skill progression and how they let you ease into new concepts is delightful, it's a gradual trickle of more complexity, so you're not overwhelmed at first, but also not bored too fast because there's always something to unlock. Just the right amount of time between leveling up.

The loot drops are awesome. They occasionally give you a yellow or a legendary that feels like a HUGE jump from whatever you had before, so you get a nice dopamine boost from that and feel like the boss fight was worth it and you're a badass.

Also I was able to turn the difficulty up by Hard pretty early on and that seems like a decent challenge, although I've yet to use a single health potion so far, so maybe I should go even harder. So far I've roflstomped pretty much everything except for one single pack of blues.

The crusader is an interesting balance of "I could be tanky, I could do big aoe, I could do single target damage, I could generate wrath super fast etc" and you get to pick your preferred blend.

So far super impressed by just how different it is from 2012, feels like they ripped out a ton of the garbage that was ruining that original experience, and now it's pretty delightful, at least the first impact with it. The amount of attention that went into pacing the game in a way that there's always the next carrot you're looking forward to is superb, hat tip.

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 20, 2018

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

DreadCthulhu posted:

Also I was able to turn the difficulty up by Hard pretty early on and that seems like a decent challenge, although I've yet to use a single health potion so far, so maybe I should go even harder. So far I've roflstomped pretty much everything except for one single pack of blues.
Hard is "I have played ARPGs before in my life" difficulty. If you find yourself with decent gear, you can set it to Master or T1 while leveling (you can always turn it down in the middle of a game, but not up). Expert is a weird trap difficulty that isn't worth it.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Crusader even has a ranged build that's pretty drat fun too. And it's legit good.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Field Mousepad posted:

Crusader even has a ranged build that's pretty drat fun too. And it's legit good.

Yeah, I was surprised by how much flexibility they were giving to the class. Is this true for every other class as well or do some of them just do ranged or melee?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Every class has a melee and range build, though the Barbarian "ranged" is charge barb which is melee where you engage from ranged. Every class also has a tank, glass cannon, and aoe style build.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Dumb question. Do followers make the game auto scale the difficulty up to account for their presence? Also, do they reduce experience gain?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

DreadCthulhu posted:

Dumb question. Do followers make the game auto scale the difficulty up to account for their presence? Also, do they reduce experience gain?

As far as I know, they don't modify the difficulty or experience gain in any way at all. It's only other human players that affect difficulty (in terms of monster health) and experience gain.

.dazedandconfused..
Jan 5, 2006

Once upon a time Blubberkopf made me even more confused....

DreadCthulhu posted:

Wow, I got to say I'm impressed by what D3 looks like in 2018 compared to 2012...

This should be the new post title. It is so nice to see someone new to the game enjoy it.

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A season is a 3 month period where you must create a brand new level 1 character with no gold, no items, no nothing. Fresh and brand new.

There's a multi chapter book of objectives for the season

To boost your power, you receive a class specific reward for finishing a few of the early chapters of your season objective book

After 3 months, the season ends, your character becomes a NonSeasonal character, and the cycle repeats.

I would estimate that seasons have about 95% of the game population, and the reward will boost your power by the equivalent of like 30+ hours of play time.

I'm not sure what you mean by Ignore the concept of seasons. Just make a new (seasonal) character and play the game as you normally would. Game play is identical inside and out of seasonal mode. The only reason to make a NonSeasonal mode would be if you want to absolutely guarantee that you won't do any multi-player and to relive the early Diablo days of L o o o o n G grinds for your first powerful item
I've literally never played D3 before yesterday. If I make a seasonal character now, should I play campaign or adventure?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Cefte posted:

I've literally never played D3 before yesterday. If I make a seasonal character now, should I play campaign or adventure?

Play the campaign through once; it's worth it. Plus, unlike adventure mode, it will slowly ramp up the difficulty and mob density on you rather than just dumping you into a sea of pissed-off demons right away. When you feel you're comfortable with your character and playstyle, then switch to adventure mode if you want.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Well completed my season journey. The RNG was being its usual weirdness.

I got all the basics super quickly this season so much so I broke GR70 in about 1/3 of the time it usually takes me (mostly solo HC) but I haven't gotten a drat thing for ancients. I had exactly one usable ancient which was a pretty crap ring by the end. Zero gifts or primals. There was at least three times I totally should have died though but scraped by with a couple thousand HP so I don't feel too bad about the lack of upgrades.

Managed to re-roll a weapon into ancient after the journey so I guess that's a big step up.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
monk is good i have found a primal kyoshiro's blade on the third day of the season or something like that, its good iv done a 98 working on augment gem ups now though not sure how much higher i can push without a cheater bot paragon level

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice

Rinkles posted:

I was gonna go with wizard cause of the cool down discussion a while back, but I recently watched a guy play D2 summon Necro which looked rad, and apparently WD is their spiritual successor

Be forewarned though: The season set for Wizard is DSO which is arguably the worst set to start out with. The set bonuses for 2pc and 4pc don't increase your power so getting chapter 4 of your season journey to get your last Haedrig's can be a little annoying. At this point of the season you can jump in some high torment games with LLJK goons to leech some gear so that's not bad but between Wizard and Witch Doctor, WD certainly has the better starting set.

Logic Probed
Feb 26, 2011

Having a normal one since 2016

I just got a Necromancer to level 70, and I'm on chapter 4 of the season journey. With the 4 pieces of the season set, what would be my most optimal path to clear the last chapter here soloing?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Turmoilx posted:

monk is good i have found a primal kyoshiro's blade on the third day of the season or something like that, its good iv done a 98 working on augment gem ups now though not sure how much higher i can push without a cheater bot paragon level

You've done a GR98 already? :wtf:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

RCarr posted:

You've done a GR98 already? :wtf:

That's a bell monk for ya.

And you can probably push to 110 without bot paragon farming ez.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Dameius posted:

That's a bell monk for ya.

And you can probably push to 110 without bot paragon farming ez.

I played bell monk last season and put way too much time into it, and I couldn't ever get past GR91. Am I missing something? I had mostly ancients, and probably near 1000 paragon. I don't see how it's even remotely possible to be near GR100 within a week of playing unless you are playing 12 hours a day and getting incredibly lucky with the RNG.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 20, 2018

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Logic Probed posted:

I just got a Necromancer to level 70, and I'm on chapter 4 of the season journey. With the 4 pieces of the season set, what would be my most optimal path to clear the last chapter here soloing?

Upgrade a 2H Scythe in the cube and make a build around its legendary ability. Either one of them should give you enough damage to finish the chapter fairly easily.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Him getting a BiS weapon is really lucky, and if you spend your time efficiently paragon farming you could be up to 1000 now.

Efficiency meaning dedicated 4 man rat runs kind of deal and xp pool min/maxing. Yeah you'll still have more playtime than the average but it doesn't take as much as you'd think either.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I did a 95 like two weeks into last season with like... two rank 50 augments and zero primals/one ancient weapon. Bells are absurd.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Getting a primal kyo's will bump you up like 10 rift levels. Bell monks own bones

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

RCarr posted:

I played bell monk last season and put way too much time into it, and I couldn't ever get past GR91. Am I missing something? I had mostly ancients, and probably near 1000 paragon. I don't see how it's even remotely possible to be near GR100 within a week of playing unless you are playing 12 hours a day and getting incredibly lucky with the RNG.

*Sniffs* slider, u stink

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

SiliconX posted:

Be forewarned though: The season set for Wizard is DSO which is arguably the worst set to start out with.

It's DMO, and that's a funny way to spell "Vyr's Amazing Arcana". :colbert:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

*Sniffs* slider, u stink

It was literally the first time I played Diablo 3, so yeah probably.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I checked the wizard leaders Saturday night on ps4 and there was already a 110 cleared. Although they are all the still broken twister builds.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Tony Gunk posted:

DMO is a really good set, but it is such doodoo as a 6pc with no supporting legendaries, imho

I've got the full cube powers, the weapon, and the offhand for DMO twister and it's the slowest poo poo in the world still because each missing piece (resource cost from belt, twister damage and enemy vacuum on bracers) totally hacks the build down to like t11 status

I've gotten 7 potions and 2 ramaladnis by paragon 200. This is odd!

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

What is it about the Condemn crusader that puts it ahead of the pack as far as pushing GRs? I can see that it is capable of high damage, but there’s some wrath management involved and it also seems pretty squishy. I feel like I’m progressing more slowly than with some other classes/builds for that reason.

I have not yet been able to get enough CDR to keep Akarat’s Champion up all the time, which is part of my issue with squishiness and wrath management. I do have a Leoric’s Crown cubed and a flawless royal diamond. I’ve also enchanted some of my gear for CDR.

I did see the comment earlier in the thread about needing to maintain stacks of Slash/Guard in order to stay alive, but I’m not at a high enough rift level where I’d expect that to be necessary.

The Icy Veins build also doesn’t use Indestructible, which seemed odd. I had to add it back in.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
In my opinion, getting 56% cool down (for permanent AC) is more important than literally anything. Anything. Reroll every single thing you can to get more cool down.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

mentalcontempt posted:

What is it about the Condemn crusader that puts it ahead of the pack as far as pushing GRs? I can see that it is capable of high damage, but there’s some wrath management involved and it also seems pretty squishy. I feel like I’m progressing more slowly than with some other classes/builds for that reason.

The key is to use the vacuum relic for condemn and the boots from act 2 caches that let you walk through enemies.

It takes a bit to get the timing down but what ends up happening is you use a ton less wrath than just spamming condemn, enemies get ghetto stunned from the vacuum effect so they don't attack you, then by the time they recover things are exploding while you are walking safely away to the next pack.

Also I think the passive that converts 1% holy damage to health makes a big difference. I seem to remember my crusader basically being healed to full health every time the condemn explosion triggered in a big enough pack of monsters.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 20, 2018

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice

Tony Gunk posted:

Not quite sure why I typed DSO :iiam:

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

I don't know what I'm doing as a lvl 27 crusader (I refuse to look at guides as someone wisely suggested here) but I've ended up with a build that seems to do pretty well on Hard. I run around the map, try to snowball as many nasties as possible onto me, and then blow them up in a hit or two, works really well. The combination of having a ton of vitality, armor and crazy regen is great. I guess it's my tanky aoe build.

Basically I run around, form a monster blob, Falling Sword into it, Provoke, Condemn, then I do a bunch of Sweep Attacks and stuff seems mostly to melt right away. Really helps to have Heavenly Strength with a nice two hander and a big fat shield so that I hurt a lot but also stay nice and tanky.

I might want to try Master again. I tried it at first and it was taking me a minute to kill a single thing all the time. Whatever gain in experience I was making was way offset by how long anything would take to die. I think now that I figured out how what kind of stats I want on my gear, I do way more damage, I can probably stomach master again.

I suspect the way difficulty progression goes up, the party isn't going to last too long? As in, at some point mob stats scale up faster than your gear and levels and things slow down?

By the way, I tried hosting a public game but nobody joined the entire hour or two. Is there nobody who's level 26 or so on Chapter 2 who wants to party up, in a season? Is everybody lvl 70?

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 20, 2018

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

DreadCthulhu posted:

I suspect the way difficulty progression goes up, the party isn't going to last too long? As in, at some point mob stats scale up faster than your gear and levels and things slow down?

By the way, I tried hosting a public game but nobody joined the entire hour or two. Is there nobody who's level 26 or so on Chapter 2 who wants to party up, in a season? Is everybody lvl 70?

Difficulty only goes up by increased enemy hp and damage by a set% (a different number for each) every difficulty level. It doesn't really scale up as you level or progress in the campaign. You increase your damage mainly by finding gear with special orange text that increase the damage of specific abilities by a certain amount. Or by completing a set and gaining the set bonus. For example there are unique bracers that increase your shield bash damage by 400%, that stuff will far outweigh specific stats on your gear. Stuff like your strength, critical hit chance, etc is the fine tuning you do once you assemble the set of unique items with the bonuses that you want.

Also 99.999% of the play time of a character will be at level 70 so it's unlikely you find anyone to play with until then.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 20, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

DreadCthulhu posted:

I don't know what I'm doing as a lvl 27 crusader (I refuse to look at guides as someone wisely suggested here) but I've ended up with a build that seems to do pretty well on Hard. I run around the map, try to snowball as many nasties as possible onto me, and then blow them up in a hit or two, works really well. The combination of having a ton of vitality, armor and crazy regen is great. I guess it's my tanky aoe build.

Basically I run around, form a monster blob, Falling Sword into it, Provoke, Condemn, then I do a bunch of Sweep Attacks and stuff seems mostly to melt right away. Really helps to have Heavenly Strength with a nice two hander and a big fat shield so that I hurt a lot but also stay nice and tanky.

I might want to try Master again. I tried it at first and it was taking me a minute to kill a single thing all the time. Whatever gain in experience I was making was way offset by how long anything would take to die. I think now that I figured out how what kind of stats I want on my gear, I do way more damage, I can probably stomach master again.

You're level 27! Just drop difficulty to Hard and play through the campaign, I'd say. As mentioned, levels 1 to 70 are just a prolog for Welcome Back to Diablo. Worry about difficulty levels and power growth and skills and gear when you're 70

(people will recommend a guide, heads up!!!)

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

A couple of things always seem to ruin games for me: guides and watching pros play the game.

e.g. I'll watch people play super high end Fortnite or HOTS and I'll go "meh I don't feel like playing this anymore because now I know exactly what the end game looks like and the ridiculous amount of work it will take me to get there. Next".

Or with guides it feels like you cheated and you just followed a recipe that you should have figured out on your own, and now you crushing it in the game is not your own accomplishment, but the result of enough Googling. I'd rather people tell me "Hey you should look into skill x or armor y, wink wink" and leave it at that.

Maybe it's like a screwup winning a lottery. Sure, you're a millionaire now, but you know you're still a loser.

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 21, 2018

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
That is certainly one way of approaching the game and I am happy that you can enjoy it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

DreadCthulhu posted:

A couple of things always seem to ruin games for me: guides and watching pros play the game.

e.g. I'll watch people play super high end Fortnite or HOTS and I'll go "meh I don't feel like playing this anymore because now I know exactly what the end game looks like and the ridiculous amount of work it will take me to get there. Next".

Or with guides it feels like you cheated and you just followed a recipe that you should have figured out on your own, and now you crushing it in the game is not your own accomplishment, but the result of enough Googling. I'd rather people tell me "Hey you should look into skill x or armor y, wink wink" and leave it at that.

This is especially true for Diablo 3 because of how streamlined everything is. It presents it's information fairly well, and you can switch and try skills on the fly, with no cost. Following a guide would make it a particularly shallow experience, imo.

(For my taste, the journey to level 70 is fairly shallow regardless. And the level 70+ end game isn't the thing I enjoy most about these games.)