Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

AlternateAccount posted:

Is there a more obtuse and less intuitive piece of software in general usage than vi?

Forefront Identity Manager and Biztalk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

guppy posted:

With the caveat that I don't have my RHCSA -- I was thinking of getting it and if I don't bother at least I'll have learned -- I have this book by van Vugt, which was recommended to me. I like it so far. It has both RHCSA and RHCE material, but they are separated and you don't have to go into the RHCE material if you don't want to.

Seconding this reccomendation. Great book, and vm’s.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Docjowles posted:

Relevant (to the discussion, if not the thread topic): Stack Overflow: Helping One Million Developers Exit Vim

:lol:

lmao

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

AlternateAccount posted:

No, it's basically all trivia and memorization. If you want to pass it, you should

- Know every command line switch for every package manager by heart, because that's reasonable.
- Know basically all vi key commands, because you're a time traveller from 1989.
- Know completely useless items like "How many fields are there in a properly formatted fstab?"
- Know all of the built in text manipulation tools that you'll never use, like sed.

If I am being gracious, probably 50% of it was things that might be useful, like managing permissions, locations of particular config files, etc, and the rest was bullshit like the above.

I agree that not having anything on grep is weird but some of this is useful and important. sed and awk are very powerful and it's important to know how to use them. I used to find vi incomprehensible, but I learned from the van Vugt book, and the reason he gave for teaching it makes sense to me: according to him, vi is the only text editor guaranteed to exist in every Linux environment, so you better know how to use it in case it's your only option.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

The fact that ed isn’t mentioned much anymore shows that even for the most white-beardy grognardy sysadmin there is a limit to the masochism. I’ve used ed, but it was way back in the day when it was the only statically-linked editor and correct terminal emulation was often a rarity so you needed a line-based editor as an option. I did it reluctantly and with the man page printed out next to me though.

Back on topic, for the RHCSA isn’t there supposed to be a way of taking the exam at-will if you are self-studying for it? When I look for exam availability it seems like I can take part in the exam given at the end of a training class even though I didn’t do the class, but not to say pick a date and show up to take it? And I’ve seen some posts online saying it’s better to do the classroom test anyways since the walk-up testing stations are often complete crap that make it harder to work through the test?

fordan fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 22, 2018

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Anyone have any materials for the CCNA security? I'm going through the CBT Nuggets stuff now, but having stuff to read would be nice too. From what I've seen all the official books are trash. I actually bought the Ebook version of the official cert guide and there were pages straight up missing. Out of an ebook. So I got it refunded.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

fordan posted:

The fact that ed isn’t mentioned much anymore shows that even for the most white-beardy grognardy sysadmin there is a limit to the masochism. I’ve used ed, but it was way back in the day when it was the only statically-linked editor and correct terminal emulation was often a rarity so you needed a line-based editor as an option. I did it reluctantly and with the man page printed out next to me though.

Back on topic, for the RHCSA isn’t there supposed to be a way of taking the exam at-will if you are self-studying for it? When I look for exam availability it seems like I can take part in the exam given at the end of a training class even though I didn’t do the case, but not to say pick a date and show up to take it? And I’ve seen some posts online saying it’s better to do the classroom test anyways since the walk-up testing stations are often complete crap that make it harder to work through the test?

Apparently I am just going to keep linking funny/cool editor takes in this thread

https://jvns.ca/blog/2018/05/11/batch-editing-files-with-ed/

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone gone down the MCSA: Cloud Platform cert after having an MCSA in Windows Server? I'm starting to realize that I'm going to need Office 365 or Azure somewhere in my resume, and I've yet to work in an environment that runs either.

How realistic is it for me to lab up a personal Azure environment to practice as I go through the prep material? Are the exams the same as Windows Server ones wherein you have to memorize so much garbage that doesn't really get used much in the real world and then have to pick the least awful answer out of four awful answers?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

fordan posted:

Back on topic, for the RHCSA isn’t there supposed to be a way of taking the exam at-will if you are self-studying for it? When I look for exam availability it seems like I can take part in the exam given at the end of a training class even though I didn’t do the case, but not to say pick a date and show up to take it? And I’ve seen some posts online saying it’s better to do the classroom test anyways since the walk-up testing stations are often complete crap that make it harder to work through the test?

Sign up for a kiosk exam (K suffix on the exam number) at a proctoring center. I did self-study for both RHCSA and RHCE without taking the classes and was able to sit the exam at my local community college.

I can confirm the kiosk was lovely though. The keyboard was the cheapest garbage and the escape key was wobbly, which was fun.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

guppy posted:

I agree that not having anything on grep is weird but some of this is useful and important. sed and awk are very powerful and it's important to know how to use them. I used to find vi incomprehensible, but I learned from the van Vugt book, and the reason he gave for teaching it makes sense to me: according to him, vi is the only text editor guaranteed to exist in every Linux environment, so you better know how to use it in case it's your only option.

awk never came up.

And while there's certainly a case to be made for vi being the only guarantee, all you really need to know is "i" and "a" and ":q" and ":wq". You don't need to know how to do complicated cutting and pasting operations to modify eth0.conf.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

siggy2021 posted:

Anyone have any materials for the CCNA security? I'm going through the CBT Nuggets stuff now, but having stuff to read would be nice too. From what I've seen all the official books are trash. I actually bought the Ebook version of the official cert guide and there were pages straight up missing. Out of an ebook. So I got it refunded.

The two books I always see recommended are the official cert guide by Wendel Odom and another one by Todd Lammle. Odom is a bit dry but thorough while Lammle is a bit laid back but may not be as complete.

I’m doing CCNA right now and I’m using Odom, CBTNuggets and Boson. The Boson labss and tests are super helpful if you can afford them.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Is the vSphere 6 Foundations exam basically VCA-level basics and crap, or does it require actual prep and study? I let my VCP5 expire and I might as well go down the VCP6 route.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

FCKGW posted:

The two books I always see recommended are the official cert guide by Wendel Odom and another one by Todd Lammle. Odom is a bit dry but thorough while Lammle is a bit laid back but may not be as complete.

I’m doing CCNA right now and I’m using Odom, CBTNuggets and Boson. The Boson labss and tests are super helpful if you can afford them.

CCNA Security not Routing and Switching (I already have that one).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

siggy2021 posted:

CCNA Security not Routing and Switching (I already have that one).

:doh:

Although I am going through that cert next so I would like to hear any suggestions as well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It would be incredible if ticketing systems could receive an out-of-office reply from the requestor and then manage to read the date that the person is back in the office - the same way that emails can make suggestions for actions or calendar events - and pause the ticket for that amount of time, rather than just dump the OOO straight into the ticket as a response.

If we're going crazy maybe the date that people are back in the office could be a header added to the auto-reply in a way that Microsoft/Google/people can agree on.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've been studying the gently caress out of the CISSP materials - plan on taking it in a month or so. I have the All in one book, the 11th hour book, the brand new official practice questions book and I watched the Cybrary videos. Do I really need to know poo poo like "What test does EAL3 map to?" and "Is COBIT or ISO/IEC-27031 a better framework to use here?" I feel like I'm just memorizing loving acronyms and numbers. How can you keep this all in your brain?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

KillHour posted:

I've been studying the gently caress out of the CISSP materials - plan on taking it in a month or so. I have the All in one book, the 11th hour book, the brand new official practice questions book and I watched the Cybrary videos. Do I really need to know poo poo like "What test does EAL3 map to?" and "Is COBIT or ISO/IEC-27031 a better framework to use here?" I feel like I'm just memorizing loving acronyms and numbers. How can you keep this all in your brain?
Don’t worry about any of that poo poo. Buy the Official CISSP Practice Tests book with like 2200 questions sorted by domain. Do most of them. Track your scores in each domain. If you’re scoring in the 75-80% range you’re fine.

My weak domain when I was studying was always SDLC and I couldn’t get more than like 65%. It didn’t matter. I got maybe 5 questions on SDLC.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I took one of the full tests in the back of the book (150 questions) as soon as I got it and scored an 83%. I'm still terrified. $700 is a lot to blow.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
IT idiot here. Newbie and will be (hopefully) commissioning as a Cyber Operations Officer in the AF by end of year.

So I enrolled in a Sec+ online college course that will cost me 717. Over the weekend i got booted from the course due to forgetting to turn a assignment in ( i was at a funeral last week). My tuition got refunded but my professor is giving me another chance to get in the course.

OTOH ive been doing my googles and seeing that alot of Sec+ online classes are as low as $30 (such as the Udemy course).......Should I just say gently caress it and learn on my own or would you all recommend the value of being able to interact with a professor for someone who has no certs/real IT experience?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
For security plus when you have relevant job experience? $700 is way too much unless your company is paying for it.

If it's out of pocket take the $30 udemy course at your own pace.

Assignments for security+ is also pretty funny. It's not a hard test if you absorb the course content.

E; rereading your post it doesn't look like you have job experience. How the gently caress does your org expect you to be a cyber operations officer?

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

E; rereading your post it doesn't look like you have job experience. How the gently caress does your org expect you to be a cyber operations officer?

I, too, am a bit confused about this.

Anyway, do you have any formal schooling in IT? If so, I'd recommend just watching Messer's Sec+ youtube vids and get a Gibson study guide. If not, you should probably brush up on general networking first.

Granted I'm still in school atm and don't have the professional experience, but my upper level courses and home labs really helped me with the cert.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Here's the cheap way to do Security+

Darrel Gibson's eBook for $10
https://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Security-Get-Certified-Ahead/dp/1939136059

Professor Messer free video course
https://www.professormesser.com/security-plus/sy0-501/sy0-501-training-course/

If you want some extra training, get Gibson's companion membership site for $50 that has practice tests or $65 for study guides, flashcard and stuff like that
http://gcgapremium.com/sy0-501-security-practice-test-questions/

The last one is optional but I found it helpful

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Judge Schnoopy posted:

For security plus when you have relevant job experience? $700 is way too much unless your company is paying for it.

If it's out of pocket take the $30 udemy course at your own pace.

Assignments for security+ is also pretty funny. It's not a hard test if you absorb the course content.

Air force is on a spree right now commissioning Intel and Cyber officers, really just expanding the Cyber and Intel fields as a whole.

Officers, even in cyber operations, are really there just to manage operations/training/readiness from a "big picture" standpoint. No one initially expects you to be a SME (although it helps).

Ill only be a 2LT so its expected ill be starting from the ground up.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Knives Amilli posted:

Officers, even in cyber operations, are really there just to manage operations/training/readiness from a "big picture" standpoint.

That sounds reckless as gently caress to assign this to somebody with no IT security experience.

'big picture' requires so much more knowledge of all the little things involved, not less. Going this route is how you get a department of schmucks running around yelling about mantraps and password rotation because they read it in a book. Meanwhile there are portscans firing alarms on the IPS, 1512 was misconfigured by networking and is allowing errant traffic in, somebody has breached the border firewall and the 'cyber operations officers' have no unholy idea what any of that means or what to do about it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
guys it's the USAF

The bar is set at not raping japanese schoolgirls or trading intel for hookers and kickbacks

I can't think of a similar Army scandal off the top of my head. Not cutting the parachute straps on, what was it, an MRAP? The point is that technical proficiency is gravy, and being able to qualify for a TS/SCI and walk in a straight line is closer to the expectations being set here.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 26, 2018

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
You know what I woke up kind of cranky today and forgot the purpose of this thread.

To actually help, use the udemy course. Find some flash cards for the relentless CompTIA glossary questions. Study for two months and pass the test.

And then whatever you do, keep reading the IT threads here. You will pick up a ton of useful, real-world experience second hand. It will put you miles ahead of anybody else who doesn't have IT experience, without the headaches of loving up on your own.

And just post questions, not everybody here is as cranky as me I promise.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

not everybody here is as cranky as me I promise.

Lies.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Putting officers in charge of people who are far more useful and qualified than them is a long standing military tradition. It’ll be fine.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Thanks Ants posted:

It would be incredible if ticketing systems could receive an out-of-office reply from the requestor and then manage to read the date that the person is back in the office - the same way that emails can make suggestions for actions or calendar events - and pause the ticket for that amount of time, rather than just dump the OOO straight into the ticket as a response.

If we're going crazy maybe the date that people are back in the office could be a header added to the auto-reply in a way that Microsoft/Google/people can agree on.

Except that nearly every OOO I have ever seen added to a ticket named a date significantly in the past, sometimes by years.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Taking SANS 504 Simulcast right now and really enjoying it, but its a lot of information and I haven't said more than a few words out loud to anyone except my girlfriend all week. Have my sights set on doing OSCP within the next 6-9 months but starting to think it might kill me given its difficulty and level of intensity vs. how easy a lot of people consider 504.

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:
I'm looking for some input, I'm very new to the IT field and I'm not really sure where to go from here.

Here's my situation:
- I don't have any professional IT experience.
- I started getting certifications at the beginning of this year, so far I've got A+, N+, S+ and my CCNA
- I just recently started looking for a new job with these certs (just got my CCNA R&S)

I'm looking for what to do next as far as certifications are concerned, I'm looking for something that will give me value as an employee for hopefully the future as well as the present. Things I've considered are CCNP (I'm worried its a bit out of my depth with no professional experience and no other major certifications), RHCSA, CEH, some virtualization cert, or an automation cert. Ideally I'd like to be well rounded.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, I'm aware these things can change based on my employer but I like to have some goals/plans in place so I can prepare.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Xeriscape FTW, if I have to water it or chemical it then it's got no right living there.

Of course, I don't actually own anything and I'm in the upper midwest/great lakes region where rain is relatively abundant so.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

Xeriscape FTW, if I have to water it or chemical it then it's got no right living there.

Of course, I don't actually own anything and I'm in the upper midwest/great lakes region where rain is relatively abundant so.

Ok but how does this compare to the CompTIA certs? Easier, harder, about the same?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Captn Kurp posted:

I'm looking for some input, I'm very new to the IT field and I'm not really sure where to go from here.

Here's my situation:
- I don't have any professional IT experience.
- I started getting certifications at the beginning of this year, so far I've got A+, N+, S+ and my CCNA
- I just recently started looking for a new job with these certs (just got my CCNA R&S)

I'm looking for what to do next as far as certifications are concerned, I'm looking for something that will give me value as an employee for hopefully the future as well as the present. Things I've considered are CCNP (I'm worried its a bit out of my depth with no professional experience and no other major certifications), RHCSA, CEH, some virtualization cert, or an automation cert. Ideally I'd like to be well rounded.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, I'm aware these things can change based on my employer but I like to have some goals/plans in place so I can prepare.

Do you want to specialize in something? What kind of job is your short and long term goal? You could probably get in the door for some help desk interviews with just those certificates if getting a job, any job is what you care about.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

FCKGW posted:

Ok but how does this compare to the CompTIA certs? Easier, harder, about the same?

It depends, how good are you with iSeries?

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

my bitter bi rival posted:

Do you want to specialize in something? What kind of job is your short and long term goal? You could probably get in the door for some help desk interviews with just those certificates if getting a job, any job is what you care about.

I'd prefer a job that has more autonomy, I'm not much of a customer service person although with no experience I should probably take what I can get. I really enjoyed reading the Security+ book even though most of the subjects were brief so I'm considering something in Cyber Security; however, I'm sure that is not a field you can just get into with no other experience in IT so I'm more focused on getting maybe a junior network admin job or something similar that will help me utilize what I've learned so far. Thanks for the help, any comments are appreciated.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

A wise person said that highly technical misanthropes are a dime a dozen. The ones who get paid figgies are the ones that can talk to clients and stakeholders without tripping over themselves.

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

Diva Cupcake posted:

A wise person said that highly technical misanthropes are a dime a dozen. The ones who get paid figgies are the ones that can talk to clients and stakeholders without tripping over themselves.

I'll keep that in mind, sounds like some good wisdom! Just been jaded by stories of "hell desk"!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Just updated my A+, Net+, and Sec+ with the new CompTIA Certmaster program. Work paid for it and it was far far easier than the old program where I would need 50 hours of training. Did it in a single day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Captn Kurp posted:

I'll keep that in mind, sounds like some good wisdom! Just been jaded by stories of "hell desk"!

Helldesk is where people with no certs and no experience start. They answer calls back to back to back all day long and do nothing but triage tickets. It's not a good place to end up because you don't get hands-on experience, the Tier 2 and 3 folks take care of change implementation.

With certs and no experience, you should be at least answering calls, investigating problems, and providing solutions. I HIGHLY recommend against trying to skip the 'talking to customers' portion of the career track. There's a ton of valuable information and experience you'll get when talking to non-technical people about problems they can't accurately describe. The soft-skills are one of the biggest differences in the candidate pool and if you've never practiced them, it will be obvious.

With experience and no certs, you can get in to whatever field best suites your interest within 5 years.

With experience AND certs, you'll get that job sooner and at higher pay, which is nice.

* This conjecture is based solely on my personal experience and IT professionals around me, and should not be taken as the word of god or anything.