Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Why what?

But yeah, we are doing research into master-key systems solver and we don't have to deal with too much boilerplate, at least compared to lines that do things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

NovemberMike posted:

No, these companies aren't getting IQ measurements because that's illegal.They're tracking interview performance vs on the job performance. Google stopped asking brain teasers because they didn't correlate well to on the job performance. They haven't stopped whiteboard interviews because those do correlate well.

I didn't realize they'd found a signal in their process that was better than chance. Don't suppose you have a link to a blog post or similar?

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Over/under on Shirec's manager telling the rest of the team to add extra checks to Shirec's code because it is "clearly poor quality and Shirec just doesn't understand development and should be an analyst doing people person girl stuff and faaaaaaaaaaart."

I'm sure that's why I wasn't included in the conversations of how our standard apis were going to be written, but my boss has always been insane for assertions. Generally I'm the one that would get the guff though. Or, according to him, I "always take the easy way out."

Zaphod42 posted:

:allbuttons:

Also, wtf, if they wrote unit tests isn't it their job to make sure those unit tests pass? And if they're not unit tests for your stuff itself, how are those client API unit tests causing your stuff to fail? Are they actually some kind of integration test or...

I don't even know what's going on over there.

We divorced our front end from our backend, and completely focused on back end for the last 6 months. I'm now in charge of reconnecting it, but they went and added a bunch of insane nonsense failure points. Like some api paths now check to make sure the header had a content type of application/json. For a bit of trivia knowledge, AngularJS strips that out of delete and put calls, so I had to make some fun decisions of how to make that happen. The other completely batshit decision I ran into (because none of our api calls from the ui had changed and they are all bog standard) was to take out the id path for puts because "it separates the id from the object passing in"

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

I didn't realize they'd found a signal in their process that was better than chance. Don't suppose you have a link to a blog post or similar?

The information I've seen isn't publicly available so dunno. Contrary to popular belief though, the people at Facebook/Amazon/Google/other big companies aren't literally retarded so if you have a question about whether they checked a 101 level thing like "is there a correlation" then the answer is probably yes.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

NovemberMike posted:

The information I've seen isn't publicly available so dunno. Contrary to popular belief though, the people at Facebook/Amazon/Google/other big companies aren't literally retarded so if you have a question about whether they checked a 101 level thing like "is there a correlation" then the answer is probably yes.

101 level question is not "is there a correlation?", it's "is there a causal relationship?". Second, the big tech companies are notoriously full of hiring bias that is well documented, which is what this whole conversation started over. Just saying that "hey their hiring practices are good and there's totally good data but I can't show you or prove it" is not convincing anyone.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Taffer posted:

101 level question is not "is there a correlation?", it's "is there a causal relationship?". Second, the big tech companies are notoriously full of hiring bias that is well documented, which is what this whole conversation started over. Just saying that "hey their hiring practices are good and there's totally good data but I can't show you or prove it" is not convincing anyone.

Why on earth would there be a causal relationship between whiteboarding and on the job performance?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

NovemberMike posted:

Meanwhile, those of us who took stats past 101 know that looking for a correlation after you've selected on the dependent variable doesn't prove a drat thing.

If you want to claim that whiteboard interviewing is effective, you need to show that it reliably distinguishes people who would do well at the job from those who wouldn't. You can't do that just by looking at the people you decided to hire.

I'm sure that there is some signal in a whiteboard interview when it's done well, but I don't for a minute believe that the average big company engineer with no specific training is capable of doing it well.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 20, 2018

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

NovemberMike posted:

Well that's a shame considering Google was happy to make a post about how their hiring process was junk. You'd think they'd want to be public about making it better to give applicants some confidence they're not just wasting prep time and PTO on a coin flip, but I guess when you're big enough you stop caring about things like that because, hey, just more applicants our recruiters don't have to screen!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Apropos:

Hiring is really hard and no, Google et al. have not discovered some better system. They just have the luxury of being able to reject a lot of qualified candidates who would do fine on the job.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Apropos:

Hiring is really hard and no, Google et al. have not discovered some better system. They just have the luxury of being able to reject a lot of qualified candidates who would do fine on the job.

Interview question: Given this graph, can you devise a way to find out if the correlation has predictive power?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I imagine google also has basically unlimited time and money to throw at hiring.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

NovemberMike posted:

Interview question: Given this graph, can you devise a way to find out if the correlation has predictive power?

Throw people into pools and see if Cage gets more leading roles.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Basically yeah. You keep measuring it, if it's a spurious correlation then it should diverge. This goes back to the whole thing where the people doing this stuff at the big companies are actually reasonably competent and if your criticism is based on "hmm, I wonder if they have Stats 101 at Stanford" then yes they do and they might have thought of it already.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Our product owner is an uninvolved idiot.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

A tiny snip of my morning so far~

:j: demoing UI thing I just was finishing So I've got this application basically wrapped up, I'm just debugging an issue I ran into w-
:byodood: Why aren't those drop downs? Why are these text value inputs?
:j: Well we don't have what those values will be confirmed yet, I asked yesterday, so I thought-
:byodood: That doesn't matter, all of these need to be dropdowns. I'm asking you to think intelligently when designing this
:j: Ok, can do. That's going to-
:byodood: And you need to actually do all the UI fixes, like these headers are not centered. It needs to look like this one header gestures to navbar

~~Flashback to yesterday~~~
:j: With our template, I'm getting really weird behavior if I do more than one of these headers like you requested, and I there doesn't seem to be an alternative to using the navbar class
:byodood: I don't have time to hold your hand, and you don't need to be setting these values. Why set this to gray? We already have gray in the background. Why are you using these classes? You don't need it to be a header like this.
:j: I think it's actually a lighter grey and it's what does the centering and borders
:byodood: You need to dig down and really understand what these classes do, you are putting too many classes in
:j: I'm using the template you designed and approved in December with very minimal changes, but yes, I'll start working on trying to strip stuff out
~~~~

:j: Ok I'll work on that makes notes so I don't scream.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Bongo Bill posted:

No, ban pools in the hope that he never gets a job again. It's a small price to pay.

NovemberMike posted:

Basically yeah. You keep measuring it, if it's a spurious correlation then it should diverge. This goes back to the whole thing where the people doing this stuff at the big companies are actually reasonably competent and if your criticism is based on "hmm, I wonder if they have Stats 101 at Stanford" then yes they do and they might have thought of it already.

You sure do love that strawman, but I don't think the law recognizes that love. Sorry friend - perhaps one day.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Shirec posted:

Half the notes I write down during meetings are variations on, "What the gently caress is everybody talking about?" and, "Who invited this jerk?"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

ultrafilter posted:

Meanwhile, those of us who took stats past 101 know that looking for a correlation after you've selected on the dependent variable doesn't prove a drat thing.

If you want to claim that whiteboard interviewing is effective, you need to show that it reliably distinguishes people who would do well at the job from those who wouldn't. You can't do that just by looking at the people you decided to hire.

I'm sure that there is some signal in a whiteboard interview when it's done well, but I don't for a minute believe that the average big company engineer with no specific training is capable of doing it well.
Beyond supposedly objective tests with quantitatively correct answers, though, this is literally every interview technique and hiring heuristic. They can all be conducted poorly and their results interpreted incoherently. Whiteboard coding exercises are a bad representation of how people write code in the real world. They may be a good indicator of how candidates design things and how they organize and communicate their thoughts. If these are things that you think are important characteristics for people to have in your organization, you hire based on proxy measurements for these things.

That's also what makes it difficult to take quantitative measurements about the effectiveness of certain hiring measures: different companies don't need the same things in the same measure, and so much of an IC's success will be dependent on the management style of the team or broader organization. It makes it incredibly difficult to try to generalize results even within the same industry.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 20, 2018

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Bongo Bill posted:

No ethics committee would approve the potential for more films starring Mr Cage.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Shirec posted:

You have to remember that nothing you do or say will ever please him.
In fact I believe you are moved into this QA type role so more blame for incidents can be piled on you. You have being gaslighted and scapegoated at the same time. There is nothing wrong with you or your desire to deliver as per the requirements. Never believe his poo poo.
If you want revenge, stop caring about him, what he does, says and thinks. It is the thing he hates and fears most. A good way to signal your indifference is to send an email you quit to HR only and no longer pick up his calls, cancel voicemail, etc.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Keetron posted:

You have to remember that nothing you do or say will ever please him.
In fact I believe you are moved into this QA type role so more blame for incidents can be piled on you. You have being gaslighted and scapegoated at the same time. There is nothing wrong with you or your desire to deliver as per the requirements. Never believe his poo poo.
If you want revenge, stop caring about him, what he does, says and thinks. It is the thing he hates and fears most. A good way to signal your indifference is to send an email you quit to HR only and no longer pick up his calls, cancel voicemail, etc.

I do most of the time. It's actually making me way less emotional than it normally does, because I was thinking "I could quit right now, walk out after laughing in his dumb face." The deeply conditioned part of my brain that expects this is probably absorbing it as truths cause of broke brains, but I'm at least consciously aware this is all bullshit.

Honestly, the part that hurts worst is my co-worker's complicit actions in it. The 2 hour meeting about how garbage I was last week was instigated by my co-worker taking over a backend class I was doing, and I guess went to my boss about it with questions rather than asking me first. Any time I bring it up, I've been told it's not that bad or I'm overreacting, or that they think it's normal. None of them ever point out him reversing what he's said or done.

Once, when my boss was angrily asking me to tell him who made the decision to do something (and it wasn't me) I refused until he pushed me to the point of crying in front of him. I guess it took until now for me to realize that none of them had my back like I had theirs.

edit: Also thank you, I know I'm almost out and should probably stop complaining as much. It's a weird mix of happiness and this abusive garbage that's strange to handle

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I talked to an ex-coworker today.

Quite typical for him, he immediately started talking about how "real programming" is making sure your program's memory is all mapped close together and accessed often enough so it all stays within the CPU's level-1 cache in order to save a handful of cycles because the distance from the CPU to the RAM is just waaay too long for anyone to deal with if you want to optimize your code.

I kinda miss that guy.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Shirec posted:

I know I'm almost out and should probably stop complaining as much.

Nah you're fine, keep posting so we can keep our hate for your boss strong

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

Xarn posted:

Why what?

But yeah, we are doing research into master-key systems solver and we don't have to deal with too much boilerplate, at least compared to lines that do things.

"Why is it mandated to such a high%?" as a genuine question. Most projects I've joined struggle to get anywhere near that.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Carbon dioxide posted:

making sure your program's memory is all mapped close together and accessed often enough so it all stays within the CPU's level-1 cache in order to save a handful of cycles because the distance from the CPU to the RAM is just waaay too long for anyone to deal with if you want to optimize your code.
Wait how does mapping "close together" help at all? If this is a system with virtual memory the L1 cache is likely N-way set associative on the physical address and the mapping is irrelevant. If it's indexed by virtual address then trying for "close together" might be putting them in the same set and wasting half the L1 anyway.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

Wait how does mapping "close together" help at all? If this is a system with virtual memory the L1 cache is likely N-way set associative on the physical address and the mapping is irrelevant. If it's indexed by virtual address then trying for "close together" might be putting them in the same set and wasting half the L1 anyway.

IIRC the CPU usually pulls sequential chunks of memory into the L1 cache, so if two values are mapped next to each other and you access them at around the same time then the second should be in the cache when you try to access it. It's been a bit since I've cared about that though.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Shirec posted:

Once, when my boss was angrily asking me to tell him who made the decision to do something (and it wasn't me) I refused until he pushed me to the point of crying in front of him. I guess it took until now for me to realize that none of them had my back like I had theirs.

I'm torn between thinking they act like this because they're similarly being abused by your boss and thinking they act like this because they're rear end in a top hat male developers. It's probably a bit of both!

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

strange posted:

"Why is it mandated to such a high%?" as a genuine question. Most projects I've joined struggle to get anywhere near that.

Most projects I've been on only have > 0% because I was the only one who bothered.

Which doesn't exactly leave me warm and fuzzy feelings about how I view my career progression. I really hope my new employer is as awesome as they seemed in the interview.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Shirec posted:

A lot of people are too shortsighted or cowardly to care about anything but themselves, especially in a high stress environment like your office. Also, a lot of newbies have the perspective of "don't rock the boat", and a lot of assholes think of any and all conflict as being "he said/she said" or "both sides are equally wrong". Sounds like your coworkers fit into one of those categories.

From what you've described, it sounds like they are too new to realize they are in a toxic environment, and since you are the Judas goat, probably aren't subjected to the same level of dysfunction you are.

With my worst boss, there were a couple of us who stood up to his bad decisions, and were subjected to lovely retaliation in multiple forms, like sarcasm, deliberately withholding information (because we were "too judgemental" ostensibly), piling on busywork, etc. But others, who acted as yes-men, were rewarded and coddled (including personal gifts of cash in one case). Very few people can get away with bullying everyone, and turning people against each other is a way for a bully to maintain control.

You probably won't ever be in a position to recommend your current boss for jobs. However, it is likely you will have that opportunity for your coworkers.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

vonnegutt posted:

From what you've described, it sounds like they are too new to realize they are in a toxic environment, and since you are the Judas goat, probably aren't subjected to the same level of dysfunction you are.

Isn't a Judas Goat a goat that's trained to lead other goats to a spot where they can be murdered? I'm a little confused.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

NovemberMike posted:

Isn't a Judas Goat a goat that's trained to lead other goats to a spot where they can be murdered? I'm a little confused.
Goats or sheep, yeah, or occasionally WWII bombers.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Sorry, I confused scapegoat and Judas goat.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Carbon dioxide posted:

I talked to an ex-coworker today.

Quite typical for him, he immediately started talking about how "real programming" is making sure your program's memory is all mapped close together and accessed often enough so it all stays within the CPU's level-1 cache in order to save a handful of cycles because the distance from the CPU to the RAM is just waaay too long for anyone to deal with if you want to optimize your code.

I kinda miss that guy.

Just send him a link to https://code.facebook.com/posts/605721433136474/accelerate-large-scale-applications-with-bolt/?r=1

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shirec posted:

:j: demoing UI thing I just was finishing So I've got this application basically wrapped up, I'm just debugging an issue I ran into w-
:byodood: Why aren't those drop downs? Why are these text value inputs?
:j: Well we don't have what those values will be confirmed yet, I asked yesterday, so I thought-
:byodood: That doesn't matter, all of these need to be dropdowns. I'm asking you to think intelligently when designing this
:j: Ok, can do. That's going to-
:byodood: And you need to actually do all the UI fixes, like these headers are not centered. It needs to look like this one header gestures to navbar

~~Flashback to yesterday~~~
:j: With our template, I'm getting really weird behavior if I do more than one of these headers like you requested, and I there doesn't seem to be an alternative to using the navbar class
:byodood: I don't have time to hold your hand, and you don't need to be setting these values. Why set this to gray? We already have gray in the background. Why are you using these classes? You don't need it to be a header like this.
:j: I think it's actually a lighter grey and it's what does the centering and borders
:byodood: You need to dig down and really understand what these classes do, you are putting too many classes in
:j: I'm using the template you designed and approved in December with very minimal changes, but yes, I'll start working on trying to strip stuff out
~~~~

From now on until forever, get this chodes requests IN WRITING.

Email him and reiterate exactly what he wants and put his conformation in a folder called CYA.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

From now on until forever, get this chodes requests IN WRITING.

Email him and reiterate exactly what he wants and put his conformation in a folder called CYA.

Nah just ignore him for a few weeks until you quit. Nothing you do is going to please him so just put in your time and get paid until you tell him to go gently caress himself

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

Nah just ignore him for a few weeks until you quit. Nothing you do is going to please him so just put in your time and get paid until you tell him to go gently caress himself

Also a great option!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Jose Valasquez posted:

Also, might I suggest this or something similar?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

strange posted:

The answer to a project that has <70% is pretty easy:

:yikes:

Remember that if you have a ton of trivial data holders, you can just exclude those from coverage if it comes that far. (Or don't give them setters/getters and make those fields public, as god intended)

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Volmarias posted:

Also, might I suggest this or something similar?

I suggest this.

Not really, but I would absolutely recommend ghosting in this case. Nothing good will come of giving that piece of poo poo an opportunity to respond to your resignation, he'll just try and tear you down even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Che Delilas posted:

I suggest this.

Not really, but I would absolutely recommend ghosting in this case. Nothing good will come of giving that piece of poo poo an opportunity to respond to your resignation, he'll just try and tear you down even more.

I can't even imagine how it could get worse. Today was only 30 minutes, but it was fully in front of everyone about why "it's taking me so long to do something that should take 5 minutes". He then berated me about how he was doing complicated stuff (he was using shapes as his metaphor here) like a dodecagon while I was doing a triangle and taking longer.

Issue was that I'm very restricted to using a template. I had one problem that was causing really unexpected issues (which I brought up) and had some fucky ui results. I feel stupid as gently caress about it (it's navbar bootstrap stuff). He pointed out an example that fit (that I didn't think of because I didn't work on it at all and it came up in the very last stretch of me working on UI stuff) and I said I'd look at that. He then went on to berate me for being less valuable than the offshore team, wasting his incredibly valuable time, and that I needed to come up with a solution so this didn't happen again.

It just kept circling those points with me trying to defend myself. All while my co-workers watched and said nothing. I hate how aggressive he gets during it to, I'm super close to a panic attack right now

edit: Ok yup full panic attack trying not to cry at my desk

Shirec fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 21, 2018