Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The high income tax cut (flat tax?) didn't pass so it probably won't mean much other than making the Greens look like idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

iajanus posted:

Until shown any evidence about this being more complicated than it sounds I'm prepared to believe they just hosed up the "oppose Labor" thing they were going for, by being muppets.

also this

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Wow, it's almost as if we have only right wing parties! The politics creep is true and real, And the only savior is open revolt etc etc

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

ssmagus posted:

Wow, it's almost as if we have only right wing parties! The politics creep is true and real, And the only savior is open revolt etc etc

I still have hopes my podcast will set things straight. Subscribe to my Patreon: For five bucks a month you'll have given me five bucks a month.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...db82eabfecdb779

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ha ha, that bit about Cahill was exactly what MrsMachineGun kept saying Saturday night.

Main headline? What main headline?

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Imagine being so delusional that you'd vote for Pauline to give battlers a chance. I guess going by that Tele headline that noone apart from ALP members are getting a pay rise?

gently caress this lovely parliament, the mouth breathers that voted them in and the Press that gives them a free ride. I wonder where the line between Delusional and Aspirational is?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Imagine listening to the Tele, which says that Pauline is for workers right above an ad to put yourself in more debt to line Gerry Harvey's pockets

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

thatbastardken posted:

please, like you've never been stuck in a meeting and failed to ask 'wait, what the gently caress are we voting on' before now.

Yeah, but you'd think the Australian Greens are more competent at politics than the average goon.

But then again you'd think they're less awful sex pests than the average goon and welp

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
So what did they actually vote for and did it cause any legislation to pass?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Centre Alliance look like they'll conditionally support the tax cuts

fuckin

GAH

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
if the cuts are years off isn't it likely things will change before they ever happen?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Before Times posted:

Centre Alliance look like they'll conditionally support the tax cuts

fuckin

GAH

Of course they will! Nick's got his lawyer + pollie income to worry about

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

starkebn posted:

if the cuts are years off isn't it likely things will change before they ever happen?

Doing so will mean a party has to successfully raise taxes, it's basically a win for the lnp now, or a win for them when labor pull that poo poo to the howls of the media.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

So the centre alliance position is “we don’t like the third part of the tax bill but Labor will repeal it when they inevitable get power so may as well approve legislation that’s literally a ticking time bomb”

Pathetic country

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
What's the tax cut story I've glossed over this. Why is it a problem?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

BBJoey posted:

So the centre alliance position is “we don’t like the third part of the tax bill but Labor will repeal it when they inevitable get power so may as well approve legislation that’s literally a ticking time bomb”

Pathetic country

NXT/CA is pathetic. I'll probably benefit from the tax cuts eventually but I absolutely hate what they stand for.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
literally tax me to death so I don't have to deal with the loving farce our parliament is

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JBP posted:

quote:

From 2024-25 all the tax cuts combined will reduce revenue by an average of $21.8bn a year, but $13.5bn – or 62% – of that is for tax cuts overwhelmingly for those earning over $120,000.

Cuts a lot of money out of the budget in the long term to give a huge cut to rich people.

ie what "tax cuts" usually means.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cool, I assumed this was going to be the outcome but wasn't sure what the details were.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

JBP posted:

The Government is currently legislating a tax rate that will only come into effect in two elections’ time.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
if you make enough money to benefit from an LNP tax cut you are second, maybe third against the wall

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

BBJoey posted:

The Government is currently legislating a tax rate that will only come into effect in two elections’ time.

And once it's on the books any attempt to remove it prior to the damage it does to revenue will be framed as raising taxes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's pretty funny how openly they don't care about surpluses and debt now.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's pretty funny how openly they don't care about surpluses and debt now.

You know as well as I do they never have. The press press not holding them to account is the depressing thing. I mean outside of death being certain and being an Australian in 2018.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
Wow I really didn’t think those tax cuts would pass the senate. gently caress.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

trunkh posted:

You know as well as I do they never have. The press press not holding them to account is the depressing thing. I mean outside of death being certain and being an Australian in 2018.

I remembered this fact check article.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-06/has-the-government-doubled-the-budget-deficit/5423392

....from 2014, which is roughly the last time it was covered widely.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Time to really plunge the nation into tax revenue trouble. loving idiots

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
This bill is their first piece of legislation to "poison the well" for the incoming Labor govt.

I expect we'll likely see more. The important thing for Shorten is to take every opportunity in the media to call this out. You don't draft legislation to come into effect in 8 years that does not carry bypartisan support unless you are specifically laying traps for a future government.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

What do you guys think about Craig Minogue?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-20/craig-minogue-russell-st-bomber-appeal-high-court/9889186?pfmredir=sm

Interested to hear y'alls thoughts on the bill that forbids cop killers from being paroled - seems more retributive than restorative to me. It's been a few decades, let the dude present his case to the parole board, then let him have a go at a normal life. If people like Dandrews want to get up and say that it's the intention of Parliament that this person specifically dies in prison with no chance of escape, why don't we just kill him and save the money?

All this over a worthless cop

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
It's definitely retributive and I am not sold on the protected class of citizens approach to law and order.

Yes, it's bullshit to attack an emergency services worker or a police officer or whatever group got their rep on the telly today but I think that's because they're a fellow human not because their role necessitates increased exposure to the kind of fuckwit who attacks people.

How do you curtail the kinds of fuckwits who attack people and aren't remorseful and are likely to reoffend? Dunno. But I don't know that building laws around job titles is effective.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

It sounds like blind populism to me.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Penny Wong posted:

But bad luck, bad luck for the burghers of Longman, because you have ensured that tax cuts which benefit overwhelmingly high income-earners, people earning over $200,000 a year – well, I’ll take the interjection. He says ‘And Penny Wong’. I’m voting against it, mate. I’m voting against it. Why don’t you? Why don’t you? That’s a great interjection! That’s a great interjection!

I love it when she's mad.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

This bill is their first piece of legislation to "poison the well" for the incoming Labor govt.

I expect we'll likely see more. The important thing for Shorten is to take every opportunity in the media to call this out. You don't draft legislation to come into effect in 8 years that does not carry bypartisan support unless you are specifically laying traps for a future government.

Undo it asap and lay down enormous public gently caress yous at every opportunity.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

All this over a worthless cop

If a cop is raped and murdered in a park, let's say as a conversation starter, would you have this extremely hosed up attitude?

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

JBP posted:

Undo it asap and lay down enormous public gently caress yous at every opportunity.

The problem with this is it requires bravery in the face of an inevitable hostile media landscape. There are many words that can be used to describe politians in Australia. Brave is not on that list.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

If a cop is raped and murdered in a park, let's say as a conversation starter, would you have this extremely hosed up attitude?

I wouldn't use it as an excuse to lock specifically that person up indefinitely 30 years after. But yeah I guess I wouldn't feel too sad hey, they aren't much better than nazis

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

The obvious difference here being that you don't choose to be a woman

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

The obvious difference here being that you don't choose to be a woman

You realise there are police that chose the career because they think it's a moral imperative to help people like women who are raped and murdered in parks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

You realise there are police that chose the career because they think it's a moral imperative to help people like women who are raped and murdered in parks?

I concede that there are a few good apples, but you'll find those same people doing harsh and harmful poo poo under the guise of just following orders, so gently caress em