Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

Fite me, nerd!

Get those fuckin' custodes out of here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
booley is the thread blood angels champion cuz his boys are lovely and he isnt constantly posting about abusing the stupid slamginius poo poo

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

We are all custodes.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
In the interest of the thread, you two now must post BA army and unit shots until a winner is decided.

The winner is all of us.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

EvilBeard posted:

We are all custodes.
You take that back :colbert:

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

booley is the thread blood angels champion cuz his boys are lovely and he isnt constantly posting about abusing the stupid slamginius poo poo

I can honestly say that I have 100% NO slamguinus poo poo at all.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

One_Wing posted:

Potentially a slight tweak on point 1 so that they can ignore units which had any models within 1” of any of their models at the start of the fall back move, so if your opponent has a second completely unengaged unit behind the one you’re in melee with you can’t go through that too.

Make the wording on point 2 clear that the attackers don’t get to pile in again (which is clearly the intention), because you don’t want to slow everything down with extra measuring and movement- i realise the only drawback to the rule in general is that it adds more dice rolling where there currently isn’t any, which can add time to a game.

1. Units can ignore models they were engaged with in the previous Fight phase when falling back.
2. Units that are engaged with a unit that is falling may attack as if it is the Fight phase, but only hit on unmodified rolls of six.

NovemberMike posted:

I can see keeping it simple but I feel like pistols could use a little extra right now.

I agree they aren't seen much.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

In the interest of the thread, you two now must post BA army and unit shots until a winner is decided.

The winner is all of us.

Here, have what I can quickly find on imgur

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

Fite me, nerd!

drat I'd say he got btfo

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Booley posted:

Fite me, nerd!

So jealous. So amazing.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Booley obviously wins for having the prettiest models. I win for never shutting the gently caress up about how much I love playing Blood Angels and really to me that's the bigger factor in being a fanboy. Booley even posts more about playing his Fists these days :colbert:

Edit: Here's what I've finished this year and am reasonably happy with:

Edit 2:

Major Spag posted:

besides, both you and pendant have other armies besides BA so you're disqualified. :colbert:

The only other force I have that's even close to being an army is a pair of Knights. I do intend to start collecting Custodes here in a few weeks though which will probably be my second full army. I really dig spears and elite assault troops.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jun 20, 2018

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The red is just so drat rich. Like blood :hurr:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also goddamn 30k shields rule

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
guess that means I need to get my stuff pictured and upload. Weekly task has been added :p.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Someone post the Mephy conversion from the 2nd ed Chaos book. That is The Best Blood Angel (in all seriousness both those armies rule).

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
WIP, purple stuff isnt done -

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

field balm posted:

I want to use astartes dreadnoughts instead of helbrutes for my renegades (will still use the helbrute rulez, of course). Which model has the least imperial gribblies covering it?

How are you guys loading up your 'brutes this edition? I was thinking one with twin heavy bolter/scourge for an all rounder and one with the twin lascannon for antitank. Would lascannon/missiles be too many eggs in one basket? Feels like an overspend.

How about chaos hqs? Choppy demon prince and a couple sorcs for presience/warptime, right?

^^^^ that bug is loving excellent!

Grab one of the forgeworld ones. They look sweet as hell.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Booley posted:

Fite me, nerd!

:perfect:

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

PaintVagrant posted:

What a delicious combination of hobby skills to create a truly spooki-fying tyranids. I don't know what that bug is or does but 10/10 would swarm with it.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

RAINBOW DILZ CANNON

PaintVagrant posted:

The original little bugs in your swarm looked a little airbrushy, but these big boys are looking lovely. Please post lots and lots of updates!

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
The next game I play I'm going to put 10 naked death company, lemartes, and a DC talon dread in a stormraven. This is an 800 point bomb. It's not going to make it across the table is it.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Chiwie posted:

Grab one of the forgeworld ones. They look sweet as hell.

Pretty sure they were all Last Chance To Buy a couple of weeks ago :(

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Did I hear custodes?

Cross-posting from the painting thread:

First time painting after 3+ years.

Weissritter fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 20, 2018

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

BuffaloChicken posted:

The original little bugs in your swarm looked a little airbrushy, but these big boys are looking lovely. Please post lots and lots of updates!

Update - I’m dead, painted 1500pts of nids in less than a month. Posting this from the shadow realms.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Played Knights for the first time yesterday. Played Hawkshroud to keep from getting bracketed quickly. Played against Thousand Sons/Deathguard and lost a fairly close game. I can't do anything to control the mountains of smite damage. By the time I killed most of his psykers, I was down to two crippled Knights and he ended up smiting them to death.

The second game was against guard. I seized and focus fired down his Shadowsword, making his Salamander useless. I stomped through the rest of his armor, and he conceded after turn 2.

It was fun. I can't wait to play my big boys again.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Booley posted:

Fite me, nerd!

Have you considered hitting these guys with some recess shade of Nuln Oil followed by highlights of Evil Sunz Scarlet and Fire Dragon Bright? I think it'd really take them to the next level.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Testing out some possible paint colors for my blood angels, any opinions on this?

This is VMC silver with two coats of FW flame red ink. Still getting the hang of the airbrush so the coats are a little rough. In practice I'd try to keep the ink coats a bit thinner to get a tad more metallic look out of it. I'm also thinking about testing over gold, but my guess is that will come out too brown.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mikey Purp posted:

Testing out some possible paint colors for my blood angels, any opinions on this?

This is VMC silver with two coats of FW flame red ink. Still getting the hang of the airbrush so the coats are a little rough. In practice I'd try to keep the ink coats a bit thinner to get a tad more metallic look out of it. I'm also thinking about testing over gold, but my guess is that will come out too brown.

Try mixing the ink and silver to see if you like the effect. It's a bit smoother and easier to apply. I did a 1:6 ratio of silver to purple ink.

jeroti
Feb 26, 2009

Fear not the darkness, fear that which the darkness hides.

Pendent posted:

Completely abstracting away the nuance to assault sounds miserable and boring, no thank you. I play an assault army because I've always found the shooting in 40k to be a little on the bland side and what you're proposing would just bring that blandness to the fun part of the game.

There are a ton of really good decisions to be making during both phases of an assault that really separate the players that know what they're doing from the ones that do not. Target priority and activations are a lot more interesting when mistakes or bad dice rolls actually open your important models up to immediate retribution. The decision to pile-in or consolidate into an unengaged enemy unit is potentially incredibly powerful but, depending on what you're facing, also invites a ton of risk as a potentially badass unit gets to hit you twice for free before you can respond. The list goes on but what it comes down to is that there is a ton of depth that allows an experienced player to make the most of their models but at the same time if you don't really care about assault you can basically just slam your unit into your opponent's and it will work. Having a crunchier phase of the game available for those that want it is not a bad thing.

As Corrode said it requires an enormous investment to do so and can it can only be done once because it requires the model die to get the third round of attacks. It can be easily defended against if the opposing player is paying any sort of attention to screening and don't forget it's a single fairly fragile model trying to pull this off. It's also pretty much the the only tool Blood Angels have against these huge centerpiece models without taking allies. So, you know, before claiming something is broken it might be worth making sure you know what you're talking about.

The CP thing would be an issue if it wasn't so easy to add in an IG battalion to boost up your CP total, or use the warlord trait and relic to generate CP as the game goes on.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
"Oh no, what will we do if we can't post on SA anymore?"

*everyone flees to the Discord*

*No one posts on SA anymore*

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed

Mikey Purp posted:

Looks good to me, I'm a sucker for candy apple red so the more glossy and metallic the better imo. Somebody posted a knight upthread done like that and it was gorgeous, maybe Booley or Boone? Seeing that kind of red is the only thing that keeps making me waver about doing my BA successors a totally different, non-red scheme.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

FromTheShire posted:

Looks good to me, I'm a sucker for candy apple red so the more glossy and metallic the better imo. Somebody posted a knight upthread done like that and it was gorgeous, maybe Booley or Boone? Seeing that kind of red is the only thing that keeps making me waver about doing my BA successors a totally different, non-red scheme.

That was probably me. I should have a candy red castellan done by this weekend too

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

This helped me when I did my Farstriders in a colored metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9q35BPaBN0

It gives two different methods, both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Beerdeer posted:

It's not great.

Also Slack is prettier than Discord. :colbert:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Beerdeer posted:

This is better for longer term discussion, Discord is good but for basically right now chatter only

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Booley posted:

That was probably me. I should have a candy red castellan done by this weekend too

Oh yeah! Would you mind sharing how you achieved that gorgeous red from the knight in your avatar?

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I'm thinking of making my dudes Taranis. Hawkshroud is better overall but the mechanicus stratagems are better, FNP is amplified on models with tons of wounds, and it provides a small MW defense.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Mikey Purp posted:

Oh yeah! Would you mind sharing how you achieved that gorgeous red from the knight in your avatar?

He mentioned he used the process described in Imperial Armor: The Horus Heresy Vol 1, which I can describe: Paint underlying area silver, spray blue ink into the recesses to establish a shadow, go over the deepest recesses with green ink to establish a deeper shadow, then go over the whole thing with a candy red paint. (The green and blue interfere with the red to create a nice desaturated shadow.) ForgeWorld doesn't sell their transparent airbrush paints anymore, so your best bet is probably Badger Ghost Tints. I suspect the problem you're having with your method is that going over silver with red ink doesn't have the same effect as candy red paint, as the ink isn't in a gloss medium the way the candy paint is.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Stephenls posted:

He mentioned he used the process described in Imperial Armor: The Horus Heresy Vol 1, which I can describe: Paint underlying area silver, spray blue ink into the recesses to establish a shadow, go over the deepest recesses with green ink to establish a deeper shadow, then go over the whole thing with a candy red paint. ForgeWorld doesn't sell their transparent airbrush paints anymore, so your best bet is probably Badger Ghost Tints. I suspect the problem you're having with your method is that going over silver with red ink doesn't have the same effect as candy red paint, as the ink isn't in a gloss medium the way the candy paint is.

The blue and greens are also the clear airbrush paints, not inks. I haven't tried anything with the ghost tints, I think the Tamiya clear paints are probably the best bet.