Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You're also glossing over the part where they also spent that time on stuff like Ultimate, Seasonal Events, and the new POTD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Karasu Tengu posted:

You're also glossing over the part where they also spent that time on stuff like Ultimate, Seasonal Events, and the new POTD.

All that stuff is bad because I don't like it.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Speaking about this patch in the past tense is also very strange considering we have two more pieces of major content yet to drop.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Yoship mentioned Pagos will have some changes compared to Anemos. I wonder what they will be.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

No more trains, this time you will grind monsters as god intended.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Multi Element mobs so you have to put your crystals into multiple slots. :smugmrgw:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

It'll be modeled after FFXIV 1.0 instead of XI.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
You'll lose EXP for being rezzed outside of town.
Also for casting rez outside of town.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Eureka is bad but losing one dungeon every two patches for Eureka is such a non-loss that I can't get mad about it. Maybe if the HW patch dungeons were overall better I might be mustered enough of a gently caress to shake a fist but then I remember the EX Roulette cycle that was Antitower and Lost City Hard and am glad that even at it's most depressing in 4.1 I've still never felt nearly as bad locking in an EX Roulette as I did in 3.2. (3.3 as well, once the initial luster of Sohr Khai wore off and I realized I had a 50% chance of pulling Hullbreaker Hard with each spin of the roulette, although that's less Sohr Khai not being good and more Hullbreaker Hard just being that bad)

Now, Artifacts being locked behind Eureka, that's something I'm a little surly about, but all that's basically extrapolated out to is spending more time playing other games actively instead of having to actually pay attention to this busywork I'm doing to build my weapons. I've nearly beaten Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in my Eureka Grind Time. if that sounds like Eureka is awful, lovely design that the whole experience is built in such a way that I can just leech for 90% of the activity to the point of actually playing OTHER games because of the vapid emptiness that is the Eureka grind, you're absolutely right, but I mean I'll loving take it over the book grind of the original relics.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 20, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Same, but I'd probably just unsub at this point if I didn't have a house that'd collapse. :v:

Speaking of eureka when's the next part coming? I kinda want to hit level 18-19 before that happens..

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

IIRC, its 4.35 for Heaven on High and 4.36 for Pagos

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Cool, thanks

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
People were saying that 4.35 is probably going to be out mid-July, so probably 3 months for Eureka.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

The dungeons are one of my favorite parts of this game.

I entered Eureka once and didn't grok it. Am I just suppose to kill monsters?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ither posted:

You're supposed to get in a group and go camp the highest level monster spawns you can kill, like its FF11 or Everquest or something. In reality people just ignore the regular mobs except so far as to spawn the NMs, and just bounce from one NM to the next because its easier and maybe faster idk.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It's also the only way to get dyable versions of the stormblood af armies because gently caress you people who play casually

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

homeless snail posted:

You're supposed to get in a group and go camp the highest level monster spawns you can kill, like its FF11 or Everquest or something. In reality people just ignore the regular mobs except so far as to spawn the NMs, and just bounce from one NM to the next because its easier and maybe faster idk.

Also you can just pop up your switch until you hear the NM spawn

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ither posted:

Leaving aside the philosophical question of "*should* they have done Eureka?" I think they did compromise their goals and vision for a lot of the rest of the game, where it's relatively easy to complete a basic thing and it's relatively hard to get frustrated if you can follow basic instructions and play your role at all.

How do you unlock Amdapoor and Wanderers Palace anyway, I still haven't done them and I loving love dungeons

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Nessus posted:

Leaving aside the philosophical question of "*should* they have done Eureka?" I think they did compromise their goals and vision for a lot of the rest of the game, where it's relatively easy to complete a basic thing and it's relatively hard to get frustrated if you can follow basic instructions and play your role at all.

How do you unlock Amdapoor and Wanderers Palace anyway, I still haven't done them and I loving love dungeons

I want to say its the dude(s) outside PRAY RETURN but it's been years since I unlocked those.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Nessus posted:

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/quest/bef5d4d8926/
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/quest/3e2009bf8ab/

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Nessus posted:

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

Kitfox88 posted:

It's also the only way to get dyable versions of the stormblood af armies because gently caress you people who play casually
But Eureka is casual? You can just alt-tab 90% of time and those 10% are spent transporting to NM fate location and then attacking the monster at least once. I am not defending Eureka, it's dumb, but it's also quite chill and casual and also a good source of tomestones/materia to transmute.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It's pretty chill, but it does eat up a lot of time and if you're unavailable during gale windows then you get hosed over when it comes to actually finishing the first relic stage.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Thankfully I got one for my main, but I have enough protean crystals for a few different anemos weapons but yeah I'm never available for gales weather. Its a case of logging in "hey when is gales" "oh like 2 and a half hours" "cool I sleep for work in 2"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't decide between the flashiness of Black Mage and the desirable support + active playstyle of Bard for the next job I play

People sold me on Bard pretty well before but then I remember that the Black Mage AoE rotation is "cast a lot of Flare" and I start to question everything

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Speaking of old dungeons, I've never completed a regular mode of Pharos Sirius. Y'see, the first boss spawns very dangerous adds at set health intervals. Modern players being geared as they are, you go from pulling to being buried under torrents of adds in the blink of an eye. I've yet to find a group capable of restraining their dps enough to do the fight as intended and not get buried under massive waves of adds.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Cythereal posted:

Speaking of old dungeons, I've never completed a regular mode of Pharos Sirius. Y'see, the first boss spawns very dangerous adds at set health intervals. Modern players being geared as they are, you go from pulling to being buried under torrents of adds in the blink of an eye. I've yet to find a group capable of restraining their dps enough to do the fight as intended and not get buried under massive waves of adds.

What I find wipes people there is tanks insisting on running through the crystal field to grab the adds when really it seems the intentiion in that while the crystal field is up everyone parks their butt and kills whatever they can reach. YOu'll end up with more stacks running through the crystal than you would if the DPS being targetted just focuses down the add.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Harrow posted:

I can't decide between the flashiness of Black Mage and the desirable support + active playstyle of Bard for the next job I play

People sold me on Bard pretty well before but then I remember that the Black Mage AoE rotation is "cast a lot of Flare" and I start to question everything

BLM is an utter joy to play until a fight forces you to move more than twice a minute, at which point I get really grumpy really fast.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Eureka really drags for the last few levels. It sucks having half of the NM give a minuscule amount of XP, and then having Pazuzu tell you that "you are far below the recommended level of this fate" when you're 18 and giving you basically dick-all too. I'm at 19 now so at least I can get feathers the next time the train heads there, but i'm dreading getting through the level with how slow 18 was. Challenge log kinda feels like it's fallen off - getting XP on the train is a crapshoot and soloing is a complete drag at this level.

e: I'm curious how Pagos will be designed. The aethernet thing you do at 17 seems like it's going to be how you access the other parts of Eureka, so Pagos I'm guessing Pagos won't feature too much stuff below that level range, and didn't they say that Pagos is only going to raise the elemental level to 25? If it's a tighter range it seems like the level grind might not be nearly as painful? (Who am I kidding, they'll probably jack up the XP curve to make sure it takes just as long as 1-20)

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 20, 2018

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

One more AST question: should I always be looking to line up Lightspeed with Lucid + Celestial Opposition, or is it better to take advantage of Hyper Lightspeed and pop it early? I'm finding my mana longevity goes in the toilet if I don't sync them up properly, but it makes Hyper Lightspeed feel like a huge waste.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Rainuwastaken posted:

BLM is an utter joy to play until a fight forces you to move more than twice a minute, at which point I get really grumpy really fast.

I've been playing BLM since ARR and hard agree. It feels great when you get the flow down, and your teleporting around to dodge poo poo and weaving around while keeping your casting on point. It's also great when it line up that you can do something like Foul -> Flare 4x -> Foul and pull a giant stack of mobs off the tank. But when everything shits the bed it sucks rear end to have to try and scrabble your rotation back together while running all over the place.

Maybe it's just me and I suck but I also feel like pubbie healers will heal literally anything or anyone else before a black mage. I've been focusing on leveling melee dps recently and I feel babied in comparison. I do make an effort not to be one of those casters that stands way out in the back.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Healer's just need to adjust cause I'm not slowing down my dps. Can't stop won't stop.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You don't need to slow down DPS for Pharos, you just need to not be standing next to people so when your debuff explodes you don't murder everyone.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Alternately just kill the dogs before they start handing out debuffs if you can't burn the boss down fast enough.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Multi Element mobs so you have to put your crystals into multiple slots. :smugmrgw:

I'll take this.

Truga posted:

Same, but I'd probably just unsub at this point if I didn't have a house that'd collapse. :v:

Speaking of eureka when's the next part coming? I kinda want to hit level 18-19 before that happens..

You'll need to be 20 to even enter the next bit so might as well finish it off.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Vitamean posted:

I'll take this.

cursed image

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Relax Or DIE posted:

Maybe it's just me and I suck but I also feel like pubbie healers will heal literally anything or anyone else before a black mage. I've been focusing on leveling melee dps recently and I feel babied in comparison. I do make an effort not to be one of those casters that stands way out in the back.

See, I feel like it's the opposite. I'm leveling my BLM through Stormblood and healers seem more inclined to save my rear end than they ever did playing SAM or RDM. Feels like I get commendations more regularly as well-- which is to say at all. I only receive commendations on my RDM when I Verraise a healer, never on my SAM, but all it appears to take to impress people with BLM is a bit of basic Aetherial Manipulation/Between the Lines usage.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The people who keep asking for this game on Switch are the internet's worst trolls.

yet the voices for it grow louder.
We only just got rid of PS3 limitations. :negative:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I wouldn't mind the game on Switch but most people are lying to themselves if they think they'll take the game anywhere else outside of crafting in the bathroom.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

The things people say about eureka is the same stuff people say about every relic grind so I'm gonna say it fits the vision perfectly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Dryzen posted:

The things people say about eureka is the same stuff people say about every relic grind so I'm gonna say it fits the vision perfectly

Half the reason Eureka is bad is because it denied me a relic grind.