Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Honestly I can get behind cuts to programs like this if it meant using that money for some other methods to increase energy efficiency, move towards more clean or sustainable power, curb carbon emissions but these are Conservatives we're talking about so none of that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If you want more Canadians driving electric cars then you don’t give rich people a tax credit for buying one, you slap a tax or tariff on all non-electric cars.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I just find it funny that Mr. HYDRO BILLS HYDRO BILLS KILLING THE PROVINCE HYYYDRROOO's first action is to scrap a fund aimed at helping people reduce their hydro bills.

This personally affects me as I was gonna get a bunch of poo poo done under the program but whatever. I understand it wasn't helping anyone truly facing financial hardships but it certainly would have helped me :shrug:
I'll just pay more to insulate the attic and garage. It needs to be done either way.

Is this where I'm supposed to start frothing at the mouth? Do I pass the "not right wing" sniff test?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You can tell when a person is confident in their work when they preemptively attack possible critics.

Dukemont
Aug 17, 2005
chocolate microscopes

Math You posted:

I just find it funny that Mr. HYDRO BILLS HYDRO BILLS KILLING THE PROVINCE HYYYDRROOO's first action is to scrap a fund aimed at helping people reduce their hydro bills.

This personally affects me as I was gonna get a bunch of poo poo done under the program but whatever. I understand it wasn't helping anyone truly facing financial hardships but it certainly would have helped me :shrug:
I'll just pay more to insulate the attic and garage. It needs to be done either way.

Is this where I'm supposed to start frothing at the mouth? Do I pass the "not right wing" sniff test?

Congratulations, you passed the test.

Welcome to the Liberal Party!

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Lobok posted:

You can tell when a person is confident in their work when they preemptively attack possible critics.

I love, the free exchange and open inquiry of ideas :discourse:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have been steadfastly avoiding any talk of that Peterson character who I really don’t know much about but just from what little coverage I have glimpsed believe to be a massive shithead who posits dumb arguments with “look I’m just asking a question/playing devils advocate!” When challenged. How close am I? (No details I am trying to remain pure)

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

THC posted:

it can also mean they have a gay son or something.

"Fiscally conservative socially liberal" just means "conservative about everything except for things that I feel have a direct effect on me".

ie: a loving horrible swine who strictly only cares about himself

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

priznat posted:

I have been steadfastly avoiding any talk of that Peterson character who I really don’t know much about but just from what little coverage I have glimpsed believe to be a massive shithead who posits dumb arguments with “look I’m just asking a question/playing devils advocate!” When challenged. How close am I? (No details I am trying to remain pure)

Imagine if your psych 101 prof realized he could make a million dollars a year from internet Nazis and Incels by making lazy philosophy YouTubes about how the Blue Eyes White Dragon of feminism is going to destroy western society.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

So my girlfriend meets up with some of her old friends from university a couple of times a year and go to a talk. They were going to go see Sam Harris in Vancouver this weekend but her friend had to cancel so I said I'd go. I'm not a huge Sam Harris fan but whatever it might be fun. Today I found the other guy at the talk is Jordan Peterson. So uh I guess I'm going to see Jordan Peterson talk.

Is the only answer to :sever:?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

cowofwar posted:

If you want more Canadians driving electric cars then you don’t give rich people a tax credit for buying one, you slap a tax or tariff on all non-electric cars.

When the new tech is still very expensive compared to the old one, you subsidize it to encourage it's uptake. The increased uptake enables greater production scale and prices drop. It's at that point you start to switch from subsidies on the new tech, to punishing tariffs on the old one.

If you jump straight to the end, all you do is make life harder for the poor, where the new tech is still out of their reach anyway, so you've achieved nothing but making a bunch of people upset and poorer.

The subsidies are good as long as their effect is monitored closely and it's clear that they're not permanent. The goal is the subsidy ends up making itself redundant.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Chicken posted:

So my girlfriend meets up with some of her old friends from university a couple of times a year and go to a talk. They were going to go see Sam Harris in Vancouver this weekend but her friend had to cancel so I said I'd go. I'm not a huge Sam Harris fan but whatever it might be fun. Today I found the other guy at the talk is Jordan Peterson. So uh I guess I'm going to see Jordan Peterson talk.

Close your eyes and pretend Kermit the Frog is talking

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Chicken posted:

Do you suppose they'd check your bag for rotten fruit upon entry?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
(I’m Y)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Couldnt his party easily repeal that law that prohibits us from getting involved? Like yeah, it will piss off Conservatives but he was never going to win them over before the next election anyway, even with his pipeline.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

HookShot posted:

Australia has been running literal concentration camps for years and no one gives a poo poo.

Furnaceface posted:

Couldnt his party easily repeal that law that prohibits us from getting involved? Like yeah, it will piss off Conservatives but he was never going to win them over before the next election anyway, even with his pipeline.

We could do lots of things, but in the end we are too small by ourselves for any of it to mean anything and our leaders aren't principled enough to do anything other than just grandstand.

Weed will be legal on October 17th

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cannabis-pot-legalization-bill-1.4713839

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Lmao this loving dweeb
https://twitter.com/jj_mccullough/status/1009220211063472128?s=21

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

If only there were some precedent for this.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

NZAmoeba posted:

When the new tech is still very expensive compared to the old one, you subsidize it to encourage it's uptake. The increased uptake enables greater production scale and prices drop. It's at that point you start to switch from subsidies on the new tech, to punishing tariffs on the old one.

If you jump straight to the end, all you do is make life harder for the poor, where the new tech is still out of their reach anyway, so you've achieved nothing but making a bunch of people upset and poorer.

The subsidies are good as long as their effect is monitored closely and it's clear that they're not permanent. The goal is the subsidy ends up making itself redundant.

Poor people don’t buy new cars, they buy used cars.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

We did it everyone, legal weed. Now nothing else can ever be critiqued again.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I’m gonna get high as gently caress

In 4 months

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 9, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
JJ is such a fuckin knob.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What about Beer though?

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

What about Beer though?

It will be illegal as of October 18, 2018. You will have exactly one day to experience being Crunk.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Syfe posted:

It will be illegal as of October 18, 2018. You will have exactly one day to experience being Crunk.

wow I didn't think dougie was gonna go that far with the beer companies

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Arcsquad12 posted:

What about Beer though?

I'll take that for a dollar.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I can reveal, in a special exclusive report, that at age 23, JJ McCullough had not yet learned how to masturbate

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

priznat posted:

You're close-ish. His shtick is more to use pointlessly vague speech, and then whenever somebody asks a simple "hey do you really believe <some bad opinion>" he says 'ah, see, now that's not actually what I said.' He then repeats the same old dog whistles, and occasionally cries, all the while making >$40k/month on Patreon.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Peterson has also recently added climate change denial to his repertoire.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

I for one am glad that JJ is finally on board with abolishing capitalism

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Lobok posted:

Peterson has also recently added climate change denial to his repertoire.

That's not recent.

https://twitter.com/jordanbpeterson/status/224103250440359937

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

When I went to set up an investment account at TD earlier this year the guy was talking about how so many people were putting their entire nest egg in weed stocks. Total insanity, but I guess it paid off for them.

Now if they only sold most of it and invested in Vanguard etfs...

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

priznat posted:

Peterson's schtick is advocating the same old conservatism (all current social hierarchies are optimally just and anyone challenging them is a Marxist monster trying to destroy Western civilization) by repeatedly saying "the scientific literature says..." without ever actually citing scientific literature, so that his followers can claim he's just spouting objective scientific truth and people who disagree are factually wrong. Basically he tells bigots that their bigotry is scientifically and morally justified and they pay him $40k/month for the warm fuzzy feelings they get inside as a result.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh wow, that was pre-fame. I stand corrected. It came up in the past couple weeks and I figured he was branching out.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Chicken posted:

Since you were already willing to support racist torture apologist Sam Harris you and your girlfriend sound perfect for each other.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Chicken posted:

Yes, sever both of you

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Helsing posted:

Since you were already willing to support racist torture apologist Sam Harris you and your girlfriend sound perfect for each other.

Five years ago I would have defended Sam Harris, but that whole "rational skeptic" scene has gone completely off the rails in the last few years with everyone from Sam Harris to Michael Shermer jumping on the anti-SJW bandwagon and embracing any old nonsense so long as it's against "PC culture". They used to just be embarrassingly earnest in the Richard-Dawkins-circa-2006 mold, now somehow you've got avowed atheists promoting Jordan loving Peterson to own the libs.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Entropic posted:

Five years ago I would have defended Sam Harris, but that whole "rational skeptic" scene has gone completely off the rails in the last few years with everyone from Sam Harris to Michael Shermer jumping on the anti-SJW bandwagon and embracing any old nonsense so long as it's against "PC culture". They used to just be embarrassingly earnest in the Richard-Dawkins-circa-2006 mold, now somehow you've got avowed atheists promoting Jordan loving Peterson to own the libs.

Yes, it's pretty distasteful, but on the plus side it's that much more obvious they're just a bunch of racist, Islamophobic shits after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks