Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

He wanted the writers kept off the set and Reynolds wanted them there so it was a bit more than just script, he and Reynolds did not see eye to eye.

Any other differences between their respective visions? Considering what Miller did after, I can imagine that tim Miller was looking to turn the sequel into a more grim and serious affair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

One of them made HAPPY! for SyFy

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Davros1 posted:

And Mom and Dad which was a lot of fun.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The same one did both. Neveldine did The Vatican Tapes which I have not seen. Heard it wasn’t great though.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Davros1 posted:

That explains why Happy felt like Crank:the series

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/hemsolo/status/1008917040109846529?s=19

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Speaking of Crank, are there any good X-Men ajacent characters he could play? Given that he's still wants to do Crank 3, it seems the Deadpool movies would be right up his alley.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Chamber?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They were obviously reeled in for Ghost Rider because that’s the tamest poo poo they’ve done and it still managed to have glimmers of greatness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6xU-jmekpM

"Glimmers of Greatness" is practically the definition of the character. He's nobody's favorite but most folks are, like, "yeah, that's pretty bad rear end. Neat.". I can't imagine trying to write him though, especially on film.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ghost Rider 2 is loving terrible.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Dan Didio posted:

I bought Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within on DVD because going to see it in cinemas in Scotland was one of the last times I spent with my dad.

Swings and roundabouts.

We had a brain wrap which ended with that movie falling off the platter into the floor. It took an hour and a half to respool, and to repair it I had to splice about six seconds out of one of the key scenes. Not a single customer even so much as asked if anything was wrong with it.

That movie was butt, and at the same time I’m glad you have good memories of your dad to go with it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didn't Statham dismiss the idea of being in a Marvel film?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
statham now is a main character in fast and furious hes good

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's always been good, when was this questioned?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Good as in he ain't going hungry.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I can see him doing an one-off villain role for a laugh.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I can see a Statham Ares

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Rhyno posted:

For years I was fighting for Statham to be cast as Rocket Racoon.
After hearing the job Cooper did, I admit I was wrong.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rhyno posted:

I know he dismissed the idea of being a Star Wars film

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Retardog posted:

We had a brain wrap which ended with that movie falling off the platter into the floor. It took an hour and a half to respool, and to repair it I had to splice about six seconds out of one of the key scenes. Not a single customer even so much as asked if anything was wrong with it.

That movie was butt, and at the same time I’m glad you have good memories of your dad to go with it.

lol, my dad was an rear end in a top hat, but thank you. I kind of dug the film. Roz from Frazier flirts with handsome Steve Buscemi and the space military fights ghosts from another planet.

I'm kind of curious what you had to cut out, but I imagine it was later in the film and everyone was asleep by that point.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Statham should play one of the Japanese characters C.B. Cebulski invented.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I only ever saw it once but I thought it was fine. Good action, good voice acting, plot was not difficult to follow. It just wasn't super interesting or anything.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

FF: Spirits Within is one of those movies that people find boring and terrible but which I secretly enjoy.

I guess the games trained me well.

EDIT: Looking at the trailers, boy have the graphics aged poorly.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 20, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Fangz posted:

FF: Spirits Within is one of those movies that people find boring and terrible but which I secretly enjoy.

Ironically fans of the games were the most disappointed, because the movie had almost nothing to do with the games. Like I think there's a space ghost that looks sort of like a chocobo at one point. That's it, the rest is just a much worse version of Aliens.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They use a few of the common series names, like Cid/Sid, Hein and Gaia.

That's about it though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah no final fantasy game had anything to do with another except a few recurring creature designs and character names

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

Ironically fans of the games were the most disappointed, because the movie had almost nothing to do with the games. Like I think there's a space ghost that looks sort of like a chocobo at one point. That's it, the rest is just a much worse version of Aliens.

Like at the time that is what disappointed me. But thinking back I had only played FF7 and no other one.
I didn't realise that a big part of the FF series is that each game is it's own story. And that the movie is in keeping with that spirit of the games*.

* = Ha! A pun!.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I don't think the film like directly adapts any of the games but I think it keeps up with the sort of general tone of the games. Vague stuff about souls, evil military, big world destroying alien thing, etc.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Going full sci-fi was too big of a departure from the games probably. Even with the other common elements.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Yeah the games (up until that point) were OT Star Wars but that movie was more like an episode of Star Trek TNG. It didn't feel like an adaptation/continuation of theme even with what little it had in common.

I was extra bummed because I thought the act of distancing yourself from the source material was a purely American move.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In other news, Disney has upper their offer for Fox to $70b today.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

In other news, Disney has upper their offer for Fox to $70b today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4C_lUy58Rw

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Fangz posted:

Hell same, i still own it on bluray

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I tried watching Crank cause every goon ever has talked it up but I bailed at the scene where the dude starts, like, literally raping a lady on the street in broad daylight

This is incredible

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It turns out she liked it?

Yeah it's kinda hosed up especially with more modern sensibilities.

I think probably 5 seconds after you turned it off she basically shouts "Actually this is hot do it I really like this!" But it never should have gotten that far in the first place.

In Crank 2 he molests and dry humps an old lady, because she is wearing a wool sweater and he needs the static electricity or his artificial heart will stop

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't remember any rape in Crank, just sex

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SlimGoodbody posted:

I tried watching Crank cause every goon ever has talked it up but I bailed at the scene where the dude starts, like, literally raping a lady on the street in broad daylight

Totally fair

Zzulu posted:

I don't remember any rape in Crank, just sex

He bends his gf over and starts trying to gently caress her in the middle of a crowded area while shes yelling at him him no and stop

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fangz posted:

I took my visiting family members that were my age to to the movie, the most distinct thing I remember about the movie is the epic level of embarrasment at taking them to such a bad movie.

Tried to watch parts of it semi-recently, it's unwatchable.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

It turns out she liked it?

Yeah it's kinda hosed up especially with more modern sensibilities.

I think probably 5 seconds after you turned it off she basically shouts "Actually this is hot do it I really like this!" But it never should have gotten that far in the first place.

In Crank 2 he molests and dry humps an old lady, because she is wearing a wool sweater and he needs the static electricity or his artificial heart will stop

It's a dumb action movie and no sane person should delve too deep into what's just an excuse to have things blowing up on screen but that's not a modern sensibility thing, "it turned out she liked it in the end" is very hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Samuringa posted:

It's a dumb action movie and no sane person should delve too deep into what's just an excuse to have things blowing up on screen but that's not a modern sensibility thing, "it turned out she liked it in the end" is very hosed up.

It's modern in the sense that Hollywood actually (wants to appear to) give a poo poo about that kind of thing now and it would never make it past rewrites if they were making it today.

• Locked thread