Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Rate the Thread!
This poll is closed.
0 0%
0 0%
0 0%
0 0%
7 100.00%
Total: 7 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7KPMg5daWk

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Tetsuya Mizuguchi produced a hack n slash 360 exclusive, with the big draw being how the game could render 100s of models on screen at once. Of course every time this actually happened the framerate slowed down to a crawl, the plot was boring nonsense, and the gameplay was the worst of mid aughts dynasty warriors button mashing. It somehow got a sequel which I don’t think a single human played

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Tetsuya Mizuguchi produced a hack n slash 360 exclusive, with the big draw being how the game could render 100s of models on screen at once. Of course every time this actually happened the framerate slowed down to a crawl, the plot was boring nonsense, and the gameplay was the worst of mid aughts dynasty warriors button mashing. It somehow got a sequel which I don’t think a single human played

I actually remember the sequel because it's what they were talking about at Konami's 2010 E3 conference (ONE MILLION TWOOPS..... WOOOOW)

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

A news blog called the Consumerist runs a public poll each year where people can vote for America's worst company and whoever 'wins' receives the Golden Poo.

4chan caught wind of this shortly after it began in April 2012- just a few months after Star Wars: The Old Republic released and caused a humongous controversy, and only a couple weeks after Mass Effect 3 came out and caused an even bigger controversy- and they decided to spam the poll with write-in votes for EA Games. EA wasn't on the initial ballot (mostly financial and oil/electric companies) but they still won in a landslide and the CEO of EA wrote a long pissy essay about how they didn't deserve it. This happened multiple times.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I actually remember the sequel because it's what they were talking about at Konami's 2010 E3 conference (ONE MILLION TWOOPS..... WOOOOW)

https://twitter.com/Tak_Fujii/status/1008252167667322880

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Lmfao

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

That time everyone spontaneously realized that everything Bobby Kotick said about Tim Schafer was accurate

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Please don’t doxx me.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

oh and they needed to do a second kickstarter campaign just to release the unfinished game lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ive never understood why so many people worshiped schafer because he made a decent game 20 years ago (that aged like poo poo btw) and has done nothing besides that, i remember seeing on twitter that someone compared him to Iwata, a legend who helped shape the game industry and has developed countless all-time classics. what the hell is wrong with people

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

extremebuff posted:

ive never understood why so many people worshiped schafer because he made a decent game 20 years ago (that aged like poo poo btw) and has done nothing besides that, i remember seeing on twitter that someone compared him to Iwata, a legend who helped shape the game industry and has developed countless all-time classics. what the hell is wrong with people

Debased western gamers only have false gods to pray to

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

adventure games were super important in the last 80s/early 90s and he was in the middle of that

the williams arent held up because they became/were shithead business people and people dont look fondly back on the sierra games, ron gilbert kinda fell out of the limelight, while schafer reveled in it

hell, a lot of major american pc developers kinda just got torn up and spit out by the industry in the late 90s onward, and publishers started avoiding allowing 'rock star' devs to even exist

schafer positioned himself to be a weird iconic bridge between major old games modern indie games, when indie games were growing

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

what im saying is dump tim schafer, praise al lowe

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

extremebuff posted:

the 2000s were an incredibly dark time for western gaming

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

schafer is fine. I hope psychonauts 2 is good

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

adventure games were super important in the last 80s/early 90s and he was in the middle of that

the williams arent held up because they became/were shithead business people and people dont look fondly back on the sierra games, ron gilbert kinda fell out of the limelight, while schafer reveled in it

hell, a lot of major american pc developers kinda just got torn up and spit out by the industry in the late 90s onward, and publishers started avoiding allowing 'rock star' devs to even exist

schafer positioned himself to be a weird iconic bridge between major old games modern indie games, when indie games were growing

you're right but still..gamers are diseased

an actual dog posted:

schafer is fine. I hope psychonauts 2 is good

see? look at this

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

hope the sequel to a disproportionately admired okay platformer from 50 years ago by a guy who is now known for stealing money and being a complete hack is pretty deece, peeps

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i imagine if psychonauts was a complete failure schafer woulda ended up making dogshit phone games or walmart bargain bin games for girls like most of anyone who made anything halfway decent in the 90s who wasnt smart enough to get the hell out of making video games

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

throwing up remembering the game awards giving their legacy award to the memory of westwood studios for inspiring dota

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

throwing up remembering the game awards giving their legacy award to the memory of westwood studios for inspiring dota

Holy

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

the last official version of dosbox was released in 2010

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

remembering that mobas and tower defense games, in their infancy before they even had these labels were just mods of warcraft and starcraft for babies who thought the real game was too hard and complex but liked clicking on things to make them die. and now it's a billion dollar industry that dwarfs everything and RTS games are this

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

elf help book posted:

Gilbert made a game last year with Sting and sold jack poo poo

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

thimbleweed park rules

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Monkey Island will never happen again.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i honestly don't like any of the lucasarts original games, and actively hated the 15 minutes of day of the tentacle i played, but i like psychonauts so much that it sort of cancels out. the tim schafer heel turn is pretty funny, though.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

sector_corrector posted:

i honestly don't like any of the lucasarts original games, and actively hated the 15 minutes of day of the tentacle i played, but i like psychonauts so much that it sort of cancels out. the tim schafer heel turn is pretty funny, though.

I always wanted to play these when i went over my friend's house in elementary school and we came really close to beating maniac mansion and the indiana jones one.

then one day his brother asked him if he could use the NES while we were playing maniac mansion on the computer, and he said "no, it's mine" and his brother was like "but you're not even using it" and they got into a huge fight and started hitting each other, and it culminated with his brother throwing his NES against their brick fireplace. the NES was miraculously fine, but their mom came down and screamed at them and sent them both to their rooms, crying. it was still hours before my mom was supposed to pick me up so i just had to sit there talking with the mom, then the dad got home and was like "what's going on here?" and when he found out, he was really upset and was like "well, this is really awkward! what's this kid going to do for hours?" and then they started fighting, and yelling at each other, and the dad ending up walking upstairs and slamming a door. anyway, the next time i came over, he said he wasn't allowed to play on the computer when i came over anymore, so i never beat maniac mansion or indiana jones. we didn't really have much else in common so i stopped coming over eventually. a few years later the parents got divorced and it turned out the mom was taking a lot of pills. oh yeah.... THAT happened.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bicyclops posted:

I always wanted to play these when i went over my friend's house in elementary school and we came really close to beating maniac mansion and the indiana jones one.

then one day his brother asked him if he could use the NES while we were playing maniac mansion on the computer, and he said "no, it's mine" and his brother was like "but you're not even using it" and they got into a huge fight and started hitting each other, and it culminated with his brother throwing his NES against their brick fireplace. the NES was miraculously fine, but their mom came down and screamed at them and sent them both to their rooms, crying. it was still hours before my mom was supposed to pick me up so i just had to sit there talking with the mom, then the dad got home and was like "what's going on here?" and when he found out, he was really upset and was like "well, this is really awkward! what's this kid going to do for hours?" and then they started fighting, and yelling at each other, and the dad ending up walking upstairs and slamming a door. anyway, the next time i came over, he said he wasn't allowed to play on the computer when i came over anymore, so i never beat maniac mansion or indiana jones. we didn't really have much else in common so i stopped coming over eventually. a few years later the parents got divorced and it turned out the mom was taking a lot of pills. oh yeah.... THAT happened.

lol, well, alright.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Hunt_the_Truth

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

drat, you from Idaho? This story is very Idaho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011