Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Might want to try the knife thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417183&pagenumber=334&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Rotten Cookies posted:

Hey, do you want to make a knife? A one piece knife? Have no metalworking skills? No worries, friends!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKH63_r0OCA
I know practice, practice, practice and all that, but goddamn this is not easy to do by hand.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
I know this thread is super slow moving but damnit after like three tries I have finally made a knife that I'm sorta proud of:

Blade is 1095 and I tried to make it look like a Buck 110. Overall, I really half-assed finishing the blade and got a little enthusiastic with the stock removal on the handle, but I'm reasonably happy with the way it came out.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Considering trying this hobby out. Does anyone have the older Craftsman 2x42" or the (looks like an exact copy) Dayton 2x42"? Wondering if you've modified it at all, or use it stock?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Stalizard posted:

I know this thread is super slow moving but damnit after like three tries I have finally made a knife that I'm sorta proud of:

Blade is 1095 and I tried to make it look like a Buck 110. Overall, I really half-assed finishing the blade and got a little enthusiastic with the stock removal on the handle, but I'm reasonably happy with the way it came out.

Soemthing's up with your tinypic URL. I think it's because Tinypic doesn't support HTTPS, while SA enforces HTTPS for links. I've rehosted on Imgur, I hope that's OK with you:

and that is a nice looking knife with lots of nice details. I like the little ricasso, the wood is really pretty (I'm a big fan of natural wood colors) and the stacked brass and... bone? Antler? bolster is a nice touch as well. Is that a full tang, or do you have an insert around a hidden tang made of something light colored?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 20, 2018

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Leperflesh posted:

and that is a nice looking knife with lots of nice details. I like the little ricasso, the wood is really pretty (I'm a big fan of natural wood colors) and the stacked brass and... bone? Antler? bolster is a nice touch as well. Is that a full tang, or do you have an insert around a hidden tang made of something light colored?

Appreciate it man, I used tinypic cause I couldn't figure out imgur on mobile for the life of me.

It's stacked brass and bone up at the front of the handle, the rest is two slabs of super pretty but unknown wood with more bone running around a hidden tang. It's a more substantial tang than you'd find compared to the rat tail on like a Mora, but definitely not a true full tang.

I tend to get way over-ambitious when I do handles. It seems like current trends tend to favor the full tang with two micarta slabs, which is fine and functional and all but it doesn't leave much room for creativity or the joy of elaborate workmanship. That said, I still need a lot of practice on the elaborate workmanship end but at least for now I can hide most of my sins behind an Instagram filter.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

I have been making knives for about a year now. Some are forged, some are stock removal. I plan on forging more blades in the future, as I have a good stock of 5160 and 52100 that I need to start using up.

I have not uploaded images in about a decade here, so if i made a mistake please help a brother out.

[

mr_selfdestruct fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 23, 2018

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'm still not back to making more knives but follow the thread and appreciate all of you skilled bastards.

I love that one. Are the markings etched or stamped or done somehow else entirely?

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

Trabant posted:

I'm still not back to making more knives but follow the thread and appreciate all of you skilled bastards.

I love that one. Are the markings etched or stamped or done somehow else entirely?

Thanks. That was ground out of a farriers rasp. The teeth are very aggressive on that side, so you get the deep impression. The other side looks more like a traditional double cut file.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would say the only "mistake" is that the pictures are all pretty small... probably look fine on a phone but if you have big higher-res photos they'd be welcome!

That is a really nice set of knives though, I'm impressed by your skill and the quality of what you're producing.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I would say the only "mistake" is that the pictures are all pretty small... probably look fine on a phone but if you have big higher-res photos they'd be welcome!

That is a really nice set of knives though, I'm impressed by your skill and the quality of what you're producing.

Thanks. I edited the post to include larger versions, i am paranoid of uploading full size pictures haha.

Here is a tomahawk I forged out of a railroad spike :

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

dang, that's pretty sweet. And the large pics are better! Thanks! I think I like that little skinner in the first three pics the best, it's a nice shape and the wood is amazing.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

Thats actually burlap Micarta. Its sanded to 400 grit and then put under the buffer. Its incredibly tough material, very nice to work with.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

This is a long shot but does anyone have some brownells atp 461 anti scale that they would be willing to part with? I'm getting close to hting my first knife and they're backordered.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

Finished a new hunting knife in 1095 steel. Did an edge quench on it, and it showed a crazy patter after etch. Black G10 handle with red liners. 9" overall with a 4" blade.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That is really clean and tidy, you have a good attention to detail.

I've never seen a knife with a cut into the pin like that. Are you at all worried that the pin could come loose? I guess it's probably epoxied rather than just peened at the ends, yeah?

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

That is really clean and tidy, you have a good attention to detail.

I've never seen a knife with a cut into the pin like that. Are you at all worried that the pin could come loose? I guess it's probably epoxied rather than just peened at the ends, yeah?

Thanks. The pins are epoxied, and I do peen them a small amount but as they are stainless i dont want to risk damaging anything by hitting them too much. I dont expect this knife to be put to work too much, the person I made it for basically wants something cool to look at. It might go on the odd hunting trip for skinning or whatever, but it wont be chopping trees down.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

drat that looks awesome. I’d buy something like that if I were still deep in my knife buying addiction.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

yo just finished my first knife:

1080, koa scales, vinegar patina:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That looks pretty good. Nice little ricasso, nice patina. I'm not a huge fan of the up and down scoring from the sanding process left instead of polished out more, but it's a look and lots of people like that, so purely personal preference. I love the wood, the pins and lanyard hole are very tidy. I'd be super happy if that was my first knife.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

Well done, you should be proud. I want to start using stabilized wood, but I cant bring myself to buy any. I am dying to get some nice curly Koa though.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Thanks y'all. I honestly can't see myself not buying stabilized wood, it's so easy to finish by wetsanding with tru oil (time consuming though due to dry time).

Anyway, I decided to make an easy small knife for my second one. 4.5" Kiridashi with a diy acid stonewash, I didn't sand it enough though (notice the big rear end scratch on the bevel) . These little bevels are actually kinda tricky, I was surprised.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

Made another drop point hunter out of 1095, but tried a Hamon this time using furnace cement. Black G10 scales again, and red vulcanized fibre liners.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

#003 done

5.25" OAL, 1084, and stabilized big leaf maple burl scales. Tons of noob mistakes all over the place, but by the magic of photography it looks decent.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

Google Butt posted:

#003 done

5.25" OAL, 1084, and stabilized big leaf maple burl scales. Tons of noob mistakes all over the place, but by the magic of photography it looks decent.

Looks clean, nice job. Not normally a fan of dyed woods, but that one is subtle and looks good

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

mr_selfdestruct posted:

Looks clean, nice job. Not normally a fan of dyed woods, but that one is subtle and looks good

It's not died at all, it's just stabilized maple burl, super nice stuff. Sanded to 3000 grit, 2 coats of tru oil (you can do many more if you're patient) and hand buffing with a bit of carnuba really brings out the figure.

http://burlsource.com/stabilized-big-leaf-maple-burl-pen-blank/

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 5, 2018

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

Google Butt posted:

It's not died at all, it's just stabilized maple burl, super nice stuff. Sanded to 3000 grit, 2 coats of tru oil (you can do many more if you're patient) and hand buffing with a bit of carnuba really brings out the figure.

http://burlsource.com/stabilized-big-leaf-maple-burl-pen-blank/

Oh haha, it looks purple on my phone screen. Either way it looks good.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Do people prefer new york steel baron or texas knife co for their steel?

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 28, 2018

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Telsa Cola posted:

Do people prefer new york stew baron or texas knife co for their steel?

I buy my O1 steel from McMaster. The 3/32nd" Tight tolerance sheet stock I get is actually ground and supplied by Starrett. Also its spheroidized so machining it is dead easy.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I've heard that Alphaknifesupply straightens every bar, I'm going to try them next.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
I posted it over the the general metal thread but I didn't know this thread was a thing. My very first knife. Its rough but I have used it almost every day since I made it. The HT is holding very nicely. I made the billet myself with 1084 and some 10N40. its got a zebra like pattern that did not etch well, but its there I promise. Please ignore the delamination in the tang. tia

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

Off to a good start. Very ambitious doing a damascus knife for your first one! What did you etch it with?

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

mr_selfdestruct posted:

Off to a good start. Very ambitious doing a damascus knife for your first one! What did you etch it with?

Ferric Chloride was my poison.

I have been forging for a while, mostly art or structural stuff, utensils, shelf brackets, plant holders and hooks.
Making my own Damascus was a fun learning experience and I found the cold spots in my forge. I think im going to build a second smaller one for forge welding since I cant seem to get a good even heat to forge temp in this one, its just to big and uneven, its great for other work though.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Getting frustrated and figure this is the place to ask.

I'd like a better stone set than the cheapo triangle one I have now, but there are too many options.

I'm thinking two, 400 and 1000 grit (sound right?), good size, preferably less than $50 each. Will be for kitchen knives, a cleaver, and pocket knife sharpening.

Anyone have recommendations? Little overwhelmed.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
Knife number 2. Stock removal. I ran out of propane so i couldn't do the heat treat tonight but. Tomorrow I'll go get some propane and scales.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
Finished it! I picked out some scales that looked great for the person the knife was for.

http://imgur.com/gallery/UoLEXX1

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Awesome! One tip for the future, the sharpening choil should bisect the plunge line.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Google Butt posted:

Awesome! One tip for the future, the sharpening choil should bisect the plunge line.

that's not sharpening choil. its a dedicated place to run a ferro rod

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

Forged out this bowie from an old file. Did a through tang on it, and put a brass butt cap nut on the end. The handle material is Tigerwood, and i think it worked out pretty good. Fitting a guard is very difficult when you dont have a good file guide, so i will invest in one of those in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I'd really like to get into blacksmithing/knifemaking, but I have no idea where to start. Ilve looked online and don't see any classes in my area except for a week long course by Gil Hibben. Any ideas or resources for getting started? Even if it's just where to get a cheap forge and anvil and what YouTube videos to watch?