Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

manwithoutskin posted:

I went to Fitbit support and the Pixel 2 (or 2XL) isn't even on a supported list of devices. Get your poo poo together Fitbit! I really hope the Pixel 3 comes with the rumored smart watch (and it's decent!).

I have a Pixel, which is on their list of supported devices, and it still didn't work for poo poo with the Versa. I ended up returning the Versa and getting a Garmin, which has been better than the Versa in every way, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I've been having issues with Podcast Addict lately. It randomly stops playing what I'm listening to. Maybe if I download the episodes it'll help.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I haven't played with the stock launcher in forever and am giving it a go before installed Nova. Is there a way to create folders on the home screen?

Edit: nevermind, I'm stupid. I shall leave this here to document my stupidity.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 20, 2018

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

The lack of queing makes it difficult for me to use. I mainly listen to podcasts on the car and having a master "not listened to" queue is importantly since it just goes from one episode to another without any interaction from me. So, pocketcast is still going to be my go to unless they gently caress it up.

This is my main use-case as well, but either I set up my auto-playlist incorrectly or PocketCasts is doing something funky. It'll often not add the most recently downloaded episode(s) to the playlist, so it'll finish one and be done, even though I know it's grabbed additional episodes. Or for whatever reason it'll play out of order, so out of 4 it'll play 1, 2, 4, then stop, not going back to 3. Ever see anything like either of these and know how to correct it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Are you using the filters? I just have a filter setup for "fiction" for example. I include my fiction podcasts, tell it to sort from oldest to newest, include unplayed and unfinished. Then I just have it play all for a filter. The best part is, if I want to play something ad hoc, I can just play the episode directly and when it is done it continues on where the play all filter leaves off.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

Are you using the filters? I just have a filter setup for "fiction" for example. I include my fiction podcasts, tell it to sort from oldest to newest, include unplayed and unfinished. Then I just have it play all for a filter. The best part is, if I want to play something ad hoc, I can just play the episode directly and when it is done it continues on where the play all filter leaves off.

I don't think I've touched filters. I just want one playlist that always has everything that's been downloaded.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hooah posted:

I don't think I've touched filters. I just want one playlist that always has everything that's been downloaded.

The filters can do exactly that.

Filters are the way to go with Pocket Casts. It's a little confusing at first, but they click pretty good.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 20, 2018

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

OH! "New Releases" is just a filter and I can edit it to include all podcasts (not just from the last two weeks) and that is one of the two things I was wishing the app could do.

(the other being making playlists that included music from Google Play Music, but since GPM itself can do that with podcasts and music downloaded in the same loving app, I'm not holding it against Pocket Casts)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there some way I can stop google chrome from hijacking my audio? It's to the point that I can't even read an article and listen to music at the same time without having to restart the player.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

RandomPauI posted:

Is there some way I can stop google chrome from hijacking my audio? It's to the point that I can't even read an article and listen to music at the same time without having to restart the player.

Uh, what? Can you elaborate?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh, what? Can you elaborate?

On some sites that autoplay media chrome will pop up a notification about audio playing, even if the video is playing silently. I've seen it happen sometimes but have never been playing music at the time so I didn't know it stole audio focus from other apps.

Idk if you can prevent that from happening short of just not using those sites unfortunately

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Yeah I've seen that notification, it doesn't steal focus. And it also won't appear if you're just reading an article. Malware?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
For anyone wondering about messages for the web, Google's blog post stated that it'd be rolling out to phones "during the coming week" or something. I believe this was Monday.

https://www.blog.google/products/messages/five-new-features-try-messages/ posted:

Today and over the next week, we’ll begin rolling out Messages for web, one of our top-requested features that lets you send and receive texts from your computer.

So yeah, no idea why the web portion is up, but the wording makes it seem like it's another one of Google's slow rollouts. Maybe someone does have it right now, I don't know.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 20, 2018

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mogomra posted:

So yeah, no idea why the web portion is up, but the wording makes it seem like it's another one of Google's slow rollouts. Maybe someone does have it right now, I don't know.

one of my friends has it but there's something wrong with his phone or whatever and the web page constantly signs him out saying "Phone not available". he has the same problem with Allo so its specific to him.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

one of my friends has it but there's something wrong with his phone or whatever and the web page constantly signs him out saying "Phone not available". he has the same problem with Allo so its specific to him.

I got a popup in Messages earlier that it was available. Scanned the QR code and everything was peachy. For about an hour. Now it just says "Not Connected to Phone", so I guess they're still hammering out some bugs. That said, it seemed like it's going to be pretty great when/if they get it sorted.

EDIT: signing out on my pc then rescanning the code seems to have fixed it...for now

XIII fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 20, 2018

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah I've seen that notification, it doesn't steal focus. And it also won't appear if you're just reading an article. Malware?

it definitely does.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Stevie Lee posted:

it definitely does.

It doesn't for me, Pixel 2 XL, Spotify keeps playing. I literally just tested it in Chrome Beta.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Messages for Web seems to be working for me. Which is a waste because I'm almost never sitting at my computer at home and I try not to do any personal communication on my laptop at work.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

To the people that have messages for web, did you get an app update for Messages or did it just happen?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I got a new phone and the app updated after I booted it for the first time, so, I don't know. :shrug:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Mogomra posted:

To the people that have messages for web, did you get an app update for Messages or did it just happen?

I got an update (to version 3.3.043) the day the website went live, but it took a few days before anything happened after that.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
043 is the version everybody is on. (assuming you update apps regularly)

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

I'm on .042, and I do update regularly.

Since this thing has been announced on Monday I've been checking like twice a day though. Had to ditch hangouts/voice for texting with my wife because it was too wonky, and being able to respond from my laptop again would be very nice.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Wasn't there yesterday, got my app update this afternoon and that's when the option showed up in the menu.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Wrist Watch posted:

On some sites that autoplay media chrome will pop up a notification about audio playing, even if the video is playing silently. I've seen it happen sometimes but have never been playing music at the time so I didn't know it stole audio focus from other apps.

Idk if you can prevent that from happening short of just not using those sites unfortunately

CLAM DOWN posted:

It just happens on certain websites on chrome that either run videos or have ads that have audio with them. It's really annoying if I want to listen to music while also getting caught up about what's going on locally. I wound up turning off all audio on the chrome app by default. If I really need audio for a site I'll add an exception.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
An app called YouTube Music is now available for me and I can also now subscribe to this thing called YouTube Premium. What is this stuff compared to google play music? Is this the same as that YouTube Red thing we never got? I am so goddamn confused holy poo poo Google.

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

CLAM DOWN posted:

I am so goddamn confused holy poo poo Google.

The Google™ Experience ladies and gentlemen.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

An app called YouTube Music is now available for me and I can also now subscribe to this thing called YouTube Premium. What is this stuff compared to google play music? Is this the same as that YouTube Red thing we never got? I am so goddamn confused holy poo poo Google.

YouTube Music is the same old YouTube Music that used to be around with GPM...now it's the new YouTube Music and includes YouTube Music Premium.
YTMP will get you ad-less music videos, pretty much. This is supposed to replace GPM later on next year, I guess? If you get YouTube Premium, you get YTMP along with playing music with the screen off and ad-free videos all across YouTube.

All of this includes Google Play Music (if you have access to that) because GPM won't be replaced until god knows when so all playlists and uploaded music will stay in GPM.

This is the worst explanation but also probably better than anything Google can say. Even the fanblogiest of fanblogs have no clue.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I'm still confused because we never had YouTube Music here until like a week ago, so what was the old app? And where does YouTube Red fit into this? And what's the point of YouTube Music if Google Play music exists?

Thank you for trying though haha

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

YouTube Red is now YouTube Premium. And here's AP Article about YouTube Music.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm still confused because we never had YouTube Music here until like a week ago, so what was the old app? And where does YouTube Red fit into this? And what's the point of YouTube Music if Google Play music exists?

No problem! The "new" YTM is literally the exact same thing as the old one it's just a new coat of paint and some promises thrown in that it'll take over GPM.

Just like how Hangouts was supposed to take over for Google Voice and would change things. But then Hangouts stayed, changed to "business only" (except not really) and Voice is just sort of...here. But then Allo showed up and that was supposed to take over until they gave Messaging a new paint and some stickers and promises of RCS and that it would take over for Allo.

...Basically, YTM has no point right now and this is history repeating itself.

Red is just YouTube Premium though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Lol we never had Voice here either. Google's total mess of duplicate services along with geographical issues make this so much worse.

Honestly it's this mess that just makes me want to stick with Spotify because I really don't fully know what I'd be subscribing to anyways with the new Google YouTube Music Premium All-Access Red.

H2Eau
Jun 2, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

YouTube Music will eventually take over Google Play Music's role. It's the same thing, same library, fewer features at the moment. They're working on getting them up to parity (e.g. personal music library uploading).

It works quite well, and the mixtape feature is a bunch better than Google Play Music's "radio stations".

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Good work anybody who grandfathered their family plan.

It's 22.99 AUD now (effectively double price from 11.99 single) whereas I think it was only 17.99 prior to the rebrand.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

H2Eau posted:

It works quite well, and the mixtape feature is a bunch better than Google Play Music's "radio stations".

I use gpm radio stations a lot, so this sounds promising (they definitely have issues). Can you elaborate on what is improved?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

H2Eau posted:

If you consider what YouTube Music is doing as "working quite well" I'd really hate to see what you consider to be "unusable garbage that is completely inexcusable in a paid for public application".

I'd say YTM is probably the worst attempt at a salable product I've ever encountered. It's the Juicero of streaming music services only without the juice.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

We've got it here in the UK too now, the app is pretty bad. GPM on the web is offering me videos in suggestions too so there is already some integration happening

I use it a lot less those days, but any word on if the new YouTube version will include the music collection uploading of gpm?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

We've got it here in the UK too now, the app is pretty bad. GPM on the web is offering me videos in suggestions too so there is already some integration happening

I use it a lot less those days, but any word on if the new YouTube version will include the music collection uploading of gpm?

No idea but web GPM has had YouTube video stuff in it for a while like if a song had a video associated with it or if the song was available on YouTube. They'll probably take that away...some day.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

ThermoPhysical posted:

No idea but web GPM has had YouTube video stuff in it for a while like if a song had a video associated with it or if the song was available on YouTube. They'll probably take that away...some day.

It may have done elsewhere but I've not seen it in the UK before , bear in mind we have never had any kind of YouTube red, YouTube music etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

They say we won't lose that but who knows. Until there's a way to port wholesale our GPM profile with playlists, libraries, and preferences to YTM it's all just promises and what you see in front of you.

I will say they're going to have to figure out how to pry my YouTube favorites away from my YTM favorites because there's no reason I'd ever want one to be associated with the other.