Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

MonsterEnvy posted:

This is the part I don't agree with. It's largely because I am a bleeding heart who heavily believes in atonement and second chances. Particularly if the person genuinely wants to atone.

My point was more from a meta-perspective. Forgiveness is obviously within the province of those wronged, but to have one of your fictional characters forgive another of your fictional characters for fictional spousal abuse is a bit :can:

It's a high-risk prospect mired in a lot of people's actual feelings on the topic, and the author should feel that they have a duty to not portray it with too much levity. I get why it puts people off, is what I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

she didn't even say a single thing about forgiving him

she even specifically said she's scared of him and can never understand him

all she did was acknowledge that endeavor isn't trying to act like nothing happened

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Shere posted:

My point was more from a meta-perspective. Forgiveness is obviously within the province of those wronged, but to have one of your fictional characters forgive another of your fictional characters for fictional spousal abuse is a bit :can:

It's a high-risk prospect mired in a lot of people's actual feelings on the topic, and the author should feel that they have a duty to not portray it with too much levity. I get why it puts people off, is what I mean.
It definitely is one of the weakest components of say, Naruto.

Naruto: Man, the guy who murdered Neji like 2 hours ago is the coolest

-

Naruto: So you're not gonna try to destroy Konoha anymore are you

Orochimaru: Nah, that's out of my system now.

Naruto: You also gonna stop conducting grossly unethical experiments, stealing the bodies of others, and dissecting children?

Orochimaru: no

Naruto: okay then house arrest it is

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I still love this image so much.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Patware posted:

she didn't even say a single thing about forgiving him

she even specifically said she's scared of him and can never understand him

all she did was acknowledge that endeavor isn't trying to act like nothing happened

Yeah, I feel like there's this super weird read where people want to make forgiveness and redemption a binary thing when it's really not. We already see shades of this with Todoroki; he still obviously hates his father, but he's willing to use his fire powers now and he's willing to respect his father's prowess and skill enough to temporarily put his anger and dislike aside to understand that he can learn from him. That's progression. Endeavor's wife trying to come to terms with what Endeavor did and recognizing that Endeavor isn't a 100% pure monster is progression; he didn't flip a switch and everything is good now, and there's nothing to suggest that she's jumping at the chance to have a one to one chat with him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

Naruto: You also gonna stop conducting grossly unethical experiments, stealing the bodies of others, and dissecting children?

Orochimaru: no

Naruto: okay then house arrest it is

Hey that did not happen. Orochimaru is free to come and go from his house as he pleases. Someone just keeps an eye on him.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

MonsterEnvy posted:

Hey that did not happen. Orochimaru is free to come and go from his house as he pleases. Someone just keeps an eye on him.

also unless boruto has said more than i saw he pretty much has stopped all that

also it's kinda dumb to bring up because naruto's whole thing was explicitly to forgive the unforgivable to end the near constant cycle of violence that ran his world

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Hey so I'm pretty sure the "coolest guy" thing comes with an implied disclaimer of "You know, before he went crazy."

Orochimaru, on the other hand, is a case of "You're too much of a pain in the rear end to kill and if we did you'd bullshit your way back to life anyway, so gently caress it."

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I think well be fine.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like that he keeps up his fire beard and stache even in his civilian outfit.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Horikoshi gives everything a lot of thought and My Hero Academia is great

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Elfgames posted:

also unless boruto has said more than i saw he pretty much has stopped all that

also it's kinda dumb to bring up because naruto's whole thing was explicitly to forgive the unforgivable to end the near constant cycle of violence that ran his world
it didn't work very good

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Kanos posted:

Yeah, I feel like there's this super weird read where people want to make forgiveness and redemption a binary thing when it's really not. We already see shades of this with Todoroki; he still obviously hates his father, but he's willing to use his fire powers now and he's willing to respect his father's prowess and skill enough to temporarily put his anger and dislike aside to understand that he can learn from him. That's progression. Endeavor's wife trying to come to terms with what Endeavor did and recognizing that Endeavor isn't a 100% pure monster is progression; he didn't flip a switch and everything is good now, and there's nothing to suggest that she's jumping at the chance to have a one to one chat with him.

Exactly, I get that Jump doesn't have the best track record in dealing with abuse. But people are jumping at Horikoshi's throat for stuff that has not happened yet.

Every step of the way, every character has had the same reaction to Endeavor.
He's a lovely human, but there is something more there. He's not a one-note character so this poo poo is complicated. It's almost like a real person. And that makes his story way more interesting.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
For what it's worth, I have no problem with the direction of things and also haven't seen any indication that the situation is going to be mishandled, I was just stating my overall trepedation with the situation.

I think Endeavor is plenty interesting, even if I don't like him, and I'm digging his dynamic with Hawks.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 20, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The whole thing is just a complete non-starter for me. I just don't give a poo poo about Endeavor except for the fear of the incoming walkback. I don't care about him trying to be better. I don't care about his internal struggles. I want to see literally anything else.

I realize that's on me and it's because of my personal experiences that nobody else probably shares, but it doesn't change the way I feel.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 20, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blockhouse posted:

The whole thing is just a complete non-starter for me. I just don't give a poo poo about Endeavor except for the fear of the incoming walkback. I don't care about him trying to be better. I don't care about his internal struggles. I want to see literally anything else.

I realize that's on me and it's because of my personal experiences that nobody else probably shares, but it doesn't change the way I feel.

I am fairly certain other people share it.

But yeah your own experiences can change how one views a story and that's not wrong. As this is ultimately a subjective thing.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

He does not look like Kurogiri at all and has shown no instances of using Kurogiri's quirk. There are rumors of Nomu sightings but nothing that says High End is teleporting.

We're shown that he's basically Valfalk in his first panel, which very clearly accounts for his being seen across the country.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Blockhouse posted:

I feel kinda the same but mostly from a perspective of having watched others go through it.

There's stuff that just can't be forgiven, and there are people that you sometimes just have to cut out of your life.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i don't mind people earnestly wanting nothing to do with it

i do take issue when people willfully misinterpret the text to strengthen their argument, is all. not trying to say anyone's vehement dislike of the World's Worst Dad (finally, goku dethroned) is invalid

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

This tweet reflects perfectly what I think about this arc and Endeavor
https://twitter.com/thatmightyheart/status/1009479706733735936

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 20, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Goku? Hell, Endeavor outdoes Gendo Ikari.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

PMush Perfect posted:

Exactly where my mind went, too.

A deconstruction of Goku's parenting (Abridged) already unseats actual Goku.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Azami however is still probably worse

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PMush Perfect posted:

There is no way he is worse then Gendo Ikari.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I wonder if we'll ever see Deku's dad?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

MonsterEnvy posted:

There is no way he is worse then Gendo Ikari.

Endeavor's missing the cloning and loveless manipulative affairs to be worse than Gendo Ikari.

He's gotten kind of close to that level although him realizing and caring how he messed up has already bumped him up more towards Goku levels of bad parenting (still way worse than that of course.)

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

galenanorth posted:

Horikoshi gives everything a lot of thought and My Hero Academia is great

It's good that Horikoshi thinks that way but it doesn't matter what he thinks--the AssClass situation that everyone's afraid of seeing repeated was obviously an editor slamming down on the plot.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Rhonne posted:

I wonder if we'll ever see Deku's dad?

It's Gendo Ikari.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Dad's don't exist in Shounen.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

All we know is that he's got a flame breath quirk and he's working in America.

I assume he's a rapper.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

That's a pretty rough way to treat Mr. Piccolo and Krillin, Chet.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

What about Souma’s dad and Goku?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Mister Olympus posted:

It's good that Horikoshi thinks that way but it doesn't matter what he thinks--the AssClass situation that everyone's afraid of seeing repeated was obviously an editor slamming down on the plot.

to be quite fuckin honest the AssClass parental abuse plotline wasn't exactly being well-done to begin with

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Zomborgon posted:

I assume he's a rapper.

I hope the twist on his quirk is that he can only shoot fire if he breaths it in from an outside source.

It's super weird that Deku's dad hasn't been brought up at all since the first chapter. Like, I know he's supposed to be working overseas, but he's never even called or anything and Deku doesn't talk about him at all.

Do you think his dad even knows he's at UA?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rhonne posted:

I hope the twist on his quirk is that he can only shoot fire if he breaths it in from an outside source.

It's super weird that Deku's dad hasn't been brought up at all since the first chapter. Like, I know he's supposed to be working overseas, but he's never even called or anything and Deku doesn't talk about him at all.

Do you think his dad even knows he's at UA?

Deku's dad long divorced Mom Deku and was thus banished from the world for his bad tastes.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone made the completely unnecessary comparison between Hawks and Archangel from the X-Men yet?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

No, because Hawks is cool.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zomborgon posted:

I assume he's a rapper.

oh god he's a juggalo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Kild posted:

oh god he's a juggalo?

There's a reason why they don't talk about him.