Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I also own a Hartke kickback. Useful boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I play guitar, but I've recently been thinking about getting a bass because I noticed that what I really like about a lot of songs is their bass. I also recently found out that the bass in "7 nation army" by The White Stripes was done by running a guitar through a Digitech Whammy.

So: what are the practical differences between a bass and a guitar pitch-shifted down to the bass register? Eg: do techniques like slap bass just not work if you try to do it on a pitch-shifted guitar?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
A lot of the bass's character comes from getting physical with big ol' strings, and I don't think you'll be able to capture any of that on a pitch-shifted guitar.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The sound is different, and slap on a guitar just doesn't work. If you're in any way into djent, try comparing the sound of an 8 string downtuned guitar with a bass. In certain contexts you can get close with stuff like a whammy, but I really recommend picking up a bass instead.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's like the difference between someone with a deep resonant voice, and someone trying to fake it by talking as low as possible. Sure you can hit the same pitches, but the guitar sounds flat and flabby in comparison

And yeah like someone said the playing technique is completely different because of the physical character of the bass - thick, widely spaced strings on a long neck. And how you play is a big part of the sound you get

You can slap on guitar (some players have a whole style based around it), but you're not probably gonna get anything like a slap bass tone, especially if you're pitch shifting. Slap bass typically has this very tight sound, with all the bright percussive sounds and popped notes emphasised while still keeping the low end. Pitch shifting an octave down tends to have the opposite effect

Get a bass they're fun :frogbon:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

That makes a lot of sense. Thinking about it, I guess slap bass does have a higher pitched attack which would also get shifted down and sound weird.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah I think it's pretty common to have a setup geared towards slap if you're doing it properly too - heavy compression to get it all even and solid, a bit of overdrive, EQed to push those higher frequencies or even straight-up active pickups. And steel roundwound strings for that extra sparkle

I mean it's probably possible to get an ok slap tone out of a guitar if you're willing to process it hard enough? Maybe an exciter to add back those upper harmonics you've pitch shifted out of the fun zone, multiband compressor to tame the club. Could be a fun challenge! But that's if you're willing to go that far, who knows if it would work well, and you're still gonna find it hard to convincingly slap and pop those tiny strings packed together

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Only a complete dork would slap a guitar. Whoever you're about to offer as a counterexample, yes, they're a complete dork.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Get a bass they're fun

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now

Anime Reference posted:

Only a complete dork would slap a guitar. Whoever you're about to offer as a counterexample, yes, they're a complete dork.

:smugbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nhrCgqRg4A

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

That is exactly the counterexample I expected, and yeah, dork city.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Just to be clear, only the guitar part of that is dorky?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Gorgar posted:

Just to be clear, only the guitar part of that is dorky?

It’s all dorkimus maximus

The only guitar slapping I like is Animals as Leaders who use thumb technique to do some really interesting chug rythyms.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Abasi is an alien hybrid though so it’s cool.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

Abasi is an alien hybrid though so it’s cool.

you're in all the good threads :tipshat:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
more proof that slap guitar sounds loving awful and is done by complete dorks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC9QTHv2eQ4

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bottom Liner posted:

you're in all the good threads :tipshat:

yeah I waste too much time on our beautiful dead comedy forum, I get it

:love:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Anime Reference posted:

When I say slapping a guitar I'm more on about "percussive guitar" or whatever, like this kind of thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4cJ4wviwS8

or some hardcore flamenco styles. Percussion is cool

doing that on a bass is better than doing slap bass on a guitar or on a bass lol

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Some funk bass stuff is done similar to that - it's not really *slap* but they use a flamenco-inspired technique.

Something like this clip from the Chicago Music Exchange bass department manager

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

baka kaba posted:

When I say slapping a guitar I'm more on about "percussive guitar" or whatever, like this kind of thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4cJ4wviwS8

or some hardcore flamenco styles. Percussion is cool

doing that on a bass is better than doing slap bass on a guitar or on a bass lol

jesus that sounds like a slinky made of garbage

rio
Mar 20, 2008

My favorite part what where Victor Wooten did a sick table impression and the guitar comes back like plldldikpdldikpldplspdpdik all high and awkward sounding. Just kidding, anyone experimenting is cool but maybe directly comparing to someone really hoot at percussive bass stuff isn’t the best place to showcase the same on guitar because it sounds like random tinny high nonsense.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Going back to the subject of cheap bass rigs, and Hartkes in particular, this old Hartke combo just showed up on Austin Craigslist for $325 and even as someone very satisfied with my bass amp I am tempted to check it out. On paper, the features would be robust for something costing several times as much.

- 350 watts @ 4 ohms
- Tube AND solid state preamps that can be blended
- 10-band graphic EQ
- Onboard adjustable/bypassable high and low-pass filters
- Onboard adjustable/bypassable compressor with indicator light
- Direct out that can be toggled between the pure input signal and the processed one
- Effects loop that appears to allow blending between the dry signal being sent and the wet signal being returned

Anyone have experience with one of these things?

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Thermos H Christ posted:

Going back to the subject of cheap bass rigs, and Hartkes in particular, this old Hartke combo just showed up on Austin Craigslist for $325 and even as someone very satisfied with my bass amp I am tempted to check it out. On paper, the features would be robust for something costing several times as much.

- 350 watts @ 4 ohms
- Tube AND solid state preamps that can be blended
- 10-band graphic EQ
- Onboard adjustable/bypassable high and low-pass filters
- Onboard adjustable/bypassable compressor with indicator light
- Direct out that can be toggled between the pure input signal and the processed one
- Effects loop that appears to allow blending between the dry signal being sent and the wet signal being returned

Anyone have experience with one of these things?

I had one of those in head form, matched with a Hartke transporter 4x10 as my main rig for years. I actually really miss it. It was a pretty versatile rig, pretty clean sounding from what I remember. I liked it better then the class D stuff I’ve been using now soundwise.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Apparently you can do better than $325 cause the GC site has the same model used for $200. Hey dude who was looking for a cheap combo, maybe check this out? Even if you have to pay shipping (and I'm not sure if you do) this thing with a return policy for $200 seems like it's going to be hard to beat in terms of value. Also it looks like the "combo" is just the head mounted in a purpose-built speaker cab, so you could pull it out and use it with whatever cab (or on its own as a DI without lugging the cab around).

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Hartke/1155-Combo-Bass-Combo-Amp.gc

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Anyone rockin a Genzler these days? Any thoughts?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

A guy on the Discord has a big hardon for Genzler but I don't know what makes it push his buttons. He doesn't own one (another MarkBass bro :fist bump:) yet he talks regularly about wanting to get one. They do look pretty slick, and I want to try one but I have not gotten to mess with one yet.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I've got one of the discontinued Genz-Benz that proceeded Genzler and its great and I use maybe three of its many many knobs

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Scarf posted:

Anyone rockin a Genzler these days? Any thoughts?

I'd like to try a Magellan, but my Mesa D800+ does everything I need, so I haven't had amp GAS for a while.

Sold my Genz Benz Streamliner and Shuttlemax once I got the Mesa, but kept the Shuttle 9.0 as a backup, since it's so small and powerful.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Does anyone have experience with the Fender Special Edition Deluxe PJ Bass? I've been thinking about grabbing a new bass, and it looks like exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for (Jazz neck, P + J pickups).

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

The Leck posted:

Does anyone have experience with the Fender Special Edition Deluxe PJ Bass? I've been thinking about grabbing a new bass, and it looks like exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for (Jazz neck, P + J pickups).

No but I do know that if you get it in any color other than the sea foam pearl you're a pussy. I could swear that used to be the only color it came in.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

The Leck posted:

I bought one a couple of years ago, found one dirt cheap used. I like p bodies, j necks, and I have a preference for the pocket of the p pickup as a thumb rest (silly, I know, but old habit). Ergonomics it worked for me but the pickups disappointed. I would have sunk another couple hundred into it. My guitarist bought it off me.

If you go used, Fender has done several versions of PJ with J necks. 80s Jazz deluxe (or special, I can't remember) was a Pbody, J neck, PJ had a selector. They reissued that as the gnr guy signature. Then there was the Precision Special or super duper delux. A personal favorite that is hard to find is the Precision Lyte.

Aerodyne and Reggie Hamilton signature models are Jazz basses, Jazz necks, PJ pups.

But definitely get the toothpaste bass if you can score a deal.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Leck posted:

Pretty much the perfect melding of all things Fender but like everything from them try to play it before you buy.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

As classy as the white one looks, the sea foam green is obviously the best option here. I'm not hearing any reason not to track down a used one and give it a try for a while.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
It's a really good bass. Absolutely the best first-good-bass or only-bass you can get at that price point.

I wish they made the sunburst one with rosewood & pearloid blocks so I didn't have to build one myself, but I've owned a couple older ones in the past before building my Warmoth and thought they were exceptionally good.

edit: my fake fender

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 21, 2018

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

edit: my fake fender

Almost perfect for me. The only change I'd make is switching the J pup to a second P.

I've actually always wanted a triple P bass.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Picked up a Sadowsky outboard preamp for $100 off the local kijiji today, after playing with it for a bit tonight I feel like I made out like a bandit.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Why does Behringer feel the need to lie about their bass amp’s rated power? Am I supposed to believe that their head that costs 300 dollars new really puts out 2000 Watts? It’s weird.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

They are capable of it, sure, but the harmonic distortion is probably massive at those levels. All amps are capable of putting out far more power than their rating, but they will distort. 500W at 1%THD is very different from 500W at 10%THD.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Krustic posted:

Why does Behringer feel the need to lie about their bass amp’s rated power? Am I supposed to believe that their head that costs 300 dollars new really puts out 2000 Watts? It’s weird.

Usually when you see a wildly out of character power rating like that it's total system power, which is the power consumption of the unit instead of what it actually outputs. So yeah, it's very deceptive marketing- think of it like a muscle car with a big block engine that theoretically makes a shitload of horsepower, but doesn't actually get most of it to the wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

creamcorn posted:

So yeah, it's very deceptive marketing- think of it like a muscle car with a big block engine that theoretically makes a shitload of horsepower, but doesn't actually get most of it to the wheels.

and that's exactly why car manufacturers publish HP at the crank and not at the wheels :eng101: