Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

yeah, i've stuck with mac entirely for logic and firewire/thunderbolt interfaces, but now that usb interfaces are decent logic is pretty much the only real reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

CaptainViolence posted:

yeah, i've stuck with mac entirely for logic and firewire/thunderbolt interfaces, but now that usb interfaces are decent logic is pretty much the only real reason

I hear ya. And I'm not even running Logic X, so I don't have Alchemy.

poo poo, maybe I'll just upgrade my mac. Fucj, I don't know :negative:

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

khysanth posted:

Any laptop brands or specific models you guys would recommend? Not planning on any live shows for quite some time. Just want to get more serious in the home studi
Currently rocking a Lenovo from 2013 and it is showing its age.

I have an Asus K501U with 16gb of ram that is pretty solid and I think you can get them for around $600 now. I run Reaper, a bunch of East/West plugins and I used it when I was doing web development with some video editing.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
https://soundcloud.com/lfranco321/fc-no-vocals-626

I got a new cab (5150iii brand 2x12) and in my new gear fervor decided to rerecord something and try getting better at recording an actual physical amp with a microphone and stuff.

I think I have the amp set too loud, and a little too much distortion on the guitars. The only mastering I did was to notch eq a bit at the kick and snare frequency and apply a little bit of multi-band compression. I think it came out pretty OK for a spur of the moment recording and vaguely guessing at mic placement/levels. I want to get a reamp box so I can tinker with mic placement and input gain settings.

Any tips or tricks for eq and mastering?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Took a while to respond because I'm going a little out of my depth, but you could try sidechaining the snare/kick if your DAW supports it. There's youtube tutorials out there for most of the common programs. Basically, you can create automatic ducking of the guitar track for like a couple milliseconds every time the snare or kick hits.

Haven't played with it too much myself but a couple punk rockers I know swear by it.

For general EQ stuff, here's a handy PDF of a bunch EQ suggestions for a bunch of instruments:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ssipublic/musicfrequencycheatsheet.pdf

Your guitar sounds good to me as-is, though.

e: ooh, also found this one, which is may be the most interactive web 1.0 thing you'll ever see: http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Also help me, recording thread: I'm going to do some location recording at a big old church soon, probably Friday. Client's going to be playing acoustic and putting down vocals and wants to use the natural reverb of the empty hall. I'm figuring if I want to grab that I should do like one mic mid-house, another mic front of house, and probably three more right on the guitar (soundhole, down the neck, and one pointing up at the body to grab the low end).

Concerns are:

1.) Which mics should I use? I've got a couple sennheiser e935s, a shure beta 58, one super-55, a crapton of 57s, a pair of rode m5s and a few random-rear end odds and ends, along with access to a lot of other Shure low-midrange mics from work.

2.) I'm kinda concerned that an acoustic guitar might not be enough to punch all the way through the hall. Considering bringing a PA speaker with me to launch the sound at the back wall. Would a lone 1000-watt speaker do the trick or should I bring a pair? Not sure of the dimensions exactly but I've been told it's about a 200-seater. Alternately, would amping the guitar be such a huge mistake that I shouldn't even bother bringing a 40-lb speaker?

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 5, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I don't have much advice, other than I might try cross-posting this in the LIVE Recording Megathread, since this seems to be outside of the home studio. There are some pretty knowledgeable people over there.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Took a while to respond because I'm going a little out of my depth, but you could try sidechaining the snare/kick if your DAW supports it. There's youtube tutorials out there for most of the common programs. Basically, you can create automatic ducking of the guitar track for like a couple milliseconds every time the snare or kick hits.

Haven't played with it too much myself but a couple punk rockers I know swear by it.

For general EQ stuff, here's a handy PDF of a bunch EQ suggestions for a bunch of instruments:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/ssipublic/musicfrequencycheatsheet.pdf

Your guitar sounds good to me as-is, though.

e: ooh, also found this one, which is may be the most interactive web 1.0 thing you'll ever see: http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

I actually am sidechaining the snare/kick/toms. I have a tiny bit of compression and reverb on the sidechain. I'm not a huge fan of the autoducked drums because it can create a weird helicopter sound at high speeds.

Yeah that last EQ map is in the OP and I used it to fix the cymbals so you can actually hear them:

https://soundcloud.com/lfranco321/fc-no-vocals-628

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

I'm sure this question has been raised before but things change quickly. What is the easiest DAW to use? Something simple that I can plug in and record ideas for the most part. Plugin support would be great but I don't want that to be the main feature. I'm basically looking for a software version of an old Tascam 8 track recorder. This is for Windows 10 with a Zoom R24 as the interface.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Apart from a couple of outliers (like Ableton Live or FL Studio to an extent, which are roughly more electronica focussed though still capable of 'normal' recording) most DAWs are all of a muchness at this point. Plugins are easily handled by anything but the most basic of basic audio recorders.

Mostly these days its personal preference. Lots of goons swear by Reaper, which is effectively free/has very generous license, however I don't quite gel with it and use Cubase. If your recordings off your Zoom are decent then Reaper would do just fine for mixing them, download that, maybe a demo of Cubase, Live, Reason to see how you get on with it. YouTube is a great resource for 'getting started' videos, watch one of them for the major DAWs and see if any leap out.

Be aware that, Reaper aside, full versions of DAWs like Cubase etc can be very pricey, and if you're anything like me you'd get the neutered one, after a few months go 'hmmm I could do with more audio tracks' and upgrade to the next, then a few months later do the same again. I'm not springing for Pro though (he says, eyeing it up).

Edit: Didn't your Zoom come with a demo of something? Normally interfaces do

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 7, 2018

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

NonzeroCircle posted:

Apart from a couple of outliers (like Ableton Live or FL Studio to an extent, which are roughly more electronica focussed though still capable of 'normal' recording) most DAWs are all of a muchness at this point. Plugins are easily handled by anything but the most basic of basic audio recorders.

Mostly these days its personal preference. Lots of goons swear by Reaper, which is effectively free/has very generous license, however I don't quite gel with it and use Cubase. If your recordings off your Zoom are decent then Reaper would do just fine for mixing them, download that, maybe a demo of Cubase, Live, Reason to see how you get on with it. YouTube is a great resource for 'getting started' videos, watch one of them for the major DAWs and see if any leap out.

Be aware that, Reaper aside, full versions of DAWs like Cubase etc can be very pricey, and if you're anything like me you'd get the neutered one, after a few months go 'hmmm I could do with more audio tracks' and upgrade to the next, then a few months later do the same again. I'm not springing for Pro though (he says, eyeing it up).

Yea, I just found a license for Cubase Elements, so I'm going to give that a whirl.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Luna posted:

I'm sure this question has been raised before but things change quickly. What is the easiest DAW to use? Something simple that I can plug in and record ideas for the most part. Plugin support would be great but I don't want that to be the main feature. I'm basically looking for a software version of an old Tascam 8 track recorder. This is for Windows 10 with a Zoom R24 as the interface.

Reaper is great. The demo is free and fully featured, and the price is very reasonable.

E:fb

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Anybody here use guitar pedals as send effects in your DAW? I have a reamp box on the way and I’m excited to play around with it.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

NonzeroCircle posted:

afaik zoom hasn't really struck that deal yet - they're more famous for camera stuff/handy recorders than interfaces specifically. i can't actually think of a "portastudio" that comes with a daw.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I came across a post in my local Music Equipment Selling group where someone was selling a pair of Yamaha NS-344's, a Yamaha PowerAmp P2075, and a KHL ASW 80-80 Subwoofer all for $150. Assuming it is in good shape, that seems like an incredible deal. Does anyone have experience with these?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Having been messing around with low end laptop music solutions, I remembered Bandlab took over Cakewalk (previously SONAR) and put it out for free.

It's really capable, and though it's a bit of a change in how it handles midi to Cubase, its fairly intuitive once you've RTFM. I definitely prefer this to Reaper and the channel strip stuff is really good. The included virtual instruments are serviceable, giving you a drum kit, bass guitar, piano and string section, and the amp simulator is streets ahead of that garbage Ableton one.

Would never fully replace Cubase for me but for what I want it for its doing the job nicely.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
nm i'm in way over my head here

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 18, 2018

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

No you're not. We all start somewhere. I googled the mic you mentioned but forgot what it was, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt: the mic you bought is a fairly cheap coil mic with some kind of unpowered XLR (mic cable) to USB adapter included. Basically, it's a fine mic but the signal needs to be boosted before it goes through the USB adapter.

I'd recommend you pick up a cheap mic preamp like a behringer MIC100 or something in the $40 new range (which you can probably find cheaper on reverb or craigslist), and just have your signal flow go Mic>preamp>usb adapter>computer. Then just play with the gain and output settings on the preamp until you get a level you like when you record.

An XLR-USB interface would also work good but would kinda defeat the purpose of having the adapter cable.

Vvv: better advice

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jul 19, 2018

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Grand Prize Winner posted:

No you're not. We all start somewhere. I googled the mic you mentioned but forgot what it was, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt: the mic you bought is a fairly cheap coil mic with some kind of unpowered XLR (mic cable) to USB adapter included. Basically, it's a fine mic but the signal needs to be boosted before it goes through the USB adapter.

I'd recommend you pick up a cheap mic preamp like a behringer MIC100 or something in the $40 new range (which you can probably find cheaper on reverb or craigslist), and just have your signal flow go Mic>preamp>usb adapter>computer. Then just play with the gain and output settings on the preamp until you get a level you like when you record.

An XLR-USB interface would also work good but would kinda defeat the purpose of having the adapter cable.

i'd rec an art usb dual pre or presonus audiobox but pick it up used for like $50/$60. don't trust $50 brand new on amazon gear

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I'm not a musician, but I have a question about mixers I though that people here would be able to help me with.

I game on my PC a lot, and currently have a headset that has two inputs with independent volume control; I use one for PC audio and one input for voice chat (both audio outs from the same PC, but front panel is emulated as it's own device). This way I can turn voice chat up or down depending on who is talking. It looks like the manufacturer isn't making this type of headset any more, so I've been looking at alternatives. I figure a small audio mixer would work great, since I could also patch in any other devices (i.e., sometimes I have a podcast I've halfway listened to and I don't wanna find it on the PC), and the prices on Amazon look pretty reasonable.

I've been looking at the Behringer Q502 on Amazon, which is only $40 and looks like it'd serve my purposes; I could run the voice audio to the mic in (since it's mono anyway) and then use two more channels for game stereo, and I'd have one more stereo pair and the two track if I needed it.

So I see how the 502 has five channels -- the XLR and then two stereo channels for 5 total. Where I'm getting confused is with the Behringer's Q802USB -- the thing says it has 8 channels, but there's clearly only 6 labeled (two XLR Mic inputs and two stereo channels, so I count six individual channels total). The Behringer Q1202USB follows the pattern I'd expect: 4 Mic Inputs, and 4 stereo channels, for 12 total.

What gives? Where's the other two channels in the 802?

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 23, 2018

Spambort
Jun 19, 2012

JerikTelorian posted:

I'm not a musician, but I have a question about mixers I though that people here would be able to help me with.

I game on my PC a lot, and currently have a headset that has two inputs with independent volume control; I use one for PC audio and one input for voice chat (both audio outs from the same PC, but front panel is emulated as it's own device). This way I can turn voice chat up or down depending on who is talking. It looks like the manufacturer isn't making this type of headset any more, so I've been looking at alternatives. I figure a small audio mixer would work great, since I could also patch in any other devices (i.e., sometimes I have a podcast I've halfway listened to and I don't wanna find it on the PC), and the prices on Amazon look pretty reasonable.

I've been looking at the Behringer Q502 on Amazon, which is only $40 and looks like it'd serve my purposes; I could run the voice audio to the mic in (since it's mono anyway) and then use two more channels for game stereo, and I'd have one more stereo pair and the two track if I needed it.

So I see how the 502 has five channels -- the XLR and then two stereo channels for 5 total. Where I'm getting confused is with the Behringer's Q802USB -- the thing says it has 8 channels, but there's clearly only 6 labeled (two XLR Mic inputs and two stereo channels, so I count six individual channels total). The Behringer Q1202USB follows the pattern I'd expect: 4 Mic Inputs, and 4 stereo channels, for 12 total.

What gives? Where's the other two channels in the 802?
Even if you dont purchase from sweetwater its good to check out the site for details that amazon may lack when comparing products.
"The Xenyx Q802USB is an 8-input (2 mic/line, 2 stereo line, stereo aux return)"
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Q802USB--behringer-xenyx-q802usb-mixer-with-usb

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Don't buy the Behringer. I have the same one and it's horribly noisy. Get a Yamaha or Mackie, IMO.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jul 23, 2018

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Please let me know if there's a better thread for this question.

I bought a Rode K2 tube mic secondhand on Reverb, and it makes a terrible crackling sound, and/or a really loud *harmonic* hum (not white noise - the sound actually has clear harmonic bands despite being very noisy). I discovered that the sound stops or intensifies depending on how I hold the cable that connects from the mic to the power supply (I'll call it cable A because I don't know what it's actually called). On the end of cable A that connects to the power supply, if I push it upwards from the bottom, the sound mostly stops. If I turn off the power switch while keeping cable A plugged in, the harmonic hum gets really intense and doesn't stop. I spoke to the guy who sold it to me, and he said things like this are common in tube mics and can actually be caused by the tube itself. Does that sound right to anyone? It really seems like an issue with either the cable or the socket on the power supply since messing with that changes its behavior. Does anyone know what could cause this, and how I would go about fixing it? FWIW, I tried plugging the power supply into a different wall socket from the interface, and it didn't fix the problem.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

LargeHadron posted:

I bought a Rode K2 tube mic secondhand on Reverb, and it makes a terrible crackling sound, and/or a really loud *harmonic* hum (not white noise - the sound actually has clear harmonic bands despite being very noisy). I discovered that the sound stops or intensifies depending on how I hold the cable that connects from the mic to the power supply (I'll call it cable A because I don't know what it's actually called). On the end of cable A that connects to the power supply, if I push it upwards from the bottom, the sound mostly stops. If I turn off the power switch while keeping cable A plugged in, the harmonic hum gets really intense and doesn't stop. I spoke to the guy who sold it to me, and he said things like this are common in tube mics and can actually be caused by the tube itself. Does that sound right to anyone? It really seems like an issue with either the cable or the socket on the power supply since messing with that changes its behavior. Does anyone know what could cause this, and how I would go about fixing it? FWIW, I tried plugging the power supply into a different wall socket from the interface, and it didn't fix the problem.

It is possible the tube is microphonic, but I can't say for sure whether that's the case with the cable affecting it how you describe. Honestly, unless you got a particularly good deal on it, I would return it because that sounds iffy to me, but it is possible that it is just the tube and would be a simple fix. To me it sounds like the seller wasn't totally honest at least about the cable, because even if it is a tube issue, the cable shouldn't be loose.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Royal Blood - Out Of The Black (cover) [instrumental, rough mix, unmastered]

How's it sound? This is a song that's been on my mind for a while, a big part of the reason why I'm finally teaching myself bass, and it's gotten me back behind the DAW for the first time in a long time.

The 'guitar' tone is way off from the original, I know, and the playing is suspect. Truth be told, I still can't actually fully play the song, so the notes are largely edited together - this is most obvious in the missing note bends that are in the original tune. Then, for lack of an octave pedal, I used Melodyne - of all things - to get the guitar octave in there. Then some doubling, envelope filters amp sim fuckery - again, the tone is obviously not the same, but is it awful? If anything the effect chains will serve as a nice guideline for when I get a real bassist to lay down a track.

I know the mix is way too scooped, that's something I've got to work on. And the hats and tamb are a bit too loud - striking a balance between the washy open hats and the articulated parts in the second verse has been a real challenge.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 1, 2018

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

Royal Blood - Out Of The Black (cover) [instrumental, rough mix, unmastered]

How's it sound? This is a song that's been on my mind for a while, a big part of the reason why I'm finally teaching myself bass, and it's gotten me back behind the DAW for the first time in a long time.

The 'guitar' tone is way off from the original, I know, and the playing is suspect. Truth be told, I still can't actually fully play the song, so the notes are largely edited together - this is most obvious in the missing note bends that are in the original tune. Then, for lack of an octave pedal, I used Melodyne - of all things - to get the guitar octave in there. Then some doubling, envelope filters amp sim fuckery - again, the tone is obviously not the same, but is it awful? If anything the effect chains will serve as a nice guideline for when I get a real bassist to lay down a track.

I know the mix is way too scooped, that's something I've got to work on. And the hats and tamb are a bit too loud - striking a balance between the washy open hats and the articulated parts in the second verse has been a real challenge.

I haven't heard the original and I can't say I've listened to this band ever so I'll give you my opinion as the first time ever hearing this. The guitar tone fits the song, it almost has an electronic feel to it, pretty cool. It has a very Musey feel to it. I don't think the guitar would sound right if you had a played it with something like a mesa/5150 etc. The mix sounds pretty good. You did a good job with the snare. Cymbals could probably come up a little.

Ok gonna post a cover I threw together in a couple hours the other day. It's a cover of Alice in Chains Nutshell. There are 2 acoustics panned L/R, a clean centered, another clean playing some ambient stuff in the back, and an electric through TSE X50 for the leads. The drums are EZdrummer. I used all stock Reaper plugins and a couple of Slate plugins. Let me know what you guys think. I'm pretty new to recording.
https://soundcloud.com/axecop/nutshell-1

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

LargeHadron posted:

I have a Rode K2 and it doesn't have any issues with noise or humming. Either the tube is bad or that guy sold you a bad mic, cable, or power supply.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I just installed my first round of acoustic foam panels in my studio and am pleased with the results so far. I am already noticing a difference and I haven't even done the most important parts yet. I was delayed a month because during the warranty inspection on my house, they found cracking in the drywall and needed to redo the framing. I used the following method for mounting the foam panels:

1. Cut out cardboard squares that are slightly smaller than the foam panels.
2. Using spray adhesive, I glued the cardboard pieces to the acoustic foam.
3. I mounted 2x Contact Strips (mounting strips) on the top and bottom of each panel.
4. I attached the panel to the wall via the sticky Contact Strip.

So far, they have held really well and required minimal hassle to install. I'm also stoked that I don't have to nail anything into the wall. My next step is to buy more panels to finish the wall and ceiling as well as 4x Corner Bass Trap Kits to go in the top corners of the room. The Bass Traps are probably the most important, but will definitely be the hardest to install. Here is a link to the ones I am looking at purchasing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B019QT2L2A/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all&qid=1530425160&sr=8-23

I haven't seen anything else that looks like it will work nearly as well as those ones that isn't way more expensive. I imagine that for the ones that I am mounting on the ceiling, and the bass traps, I will probably double up on the contact strips. I am going through so many packs of those haha. I would highly recommend the method I am using to install them because it has been really easy, but be sure to go outside when using the spray adhesive. Here is a picture of the panels installed behind my desk. I have the rest installed on the walls behind the desk and am planning on filling out this area a bit more.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I was looking at ordering bass traps and found this site that sells the corner block + three triangular bass absorbers for a pretty reasonable price.

https://foamforyou.com/corner-kit-for-ceiling.html

They offer a few different sizes, but the price can jump quite a bit when you go up in size. I was wondering if the smallest size (6" x 6" x 24") would be enough for my small little studio room. Anyone with experience using these bass traps that can say whether 6" is large enough?

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

What's the word on decent over-ear, non closed-off sides headphones these days? Looking for "reference" quality for monitoring, as well as plain music-listening.

"Reference" at $150, $200 absolute max. Don't need the best of the best. But something decent and neutral enough sounding. I never mess with EQs when listening to music.

My Sennheiser HD 595s (maybe 598s), will check when I get home) are perfect. However I've had them for years and they're finally beat up enough where it takes some work to get the full sound

Order the same ones? Its been more than 10 years so I'm out of the loop. Thanks. :)

(Is this the right thread?)

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

fzA455 posted:

What's the word on decent over-ear, non closed-off sides headphones these days? Looking for "reference" quality for monitoring, as well as plain music-listening.

"Reference" at $150, $200 absolute max. Don't need the best of the best. But something decent and neutral enough sounding. I never mess with EQs when listening to music.

My Sennheiser HD 595s (maybe 598s), will check when I get home) are perfect. However I've had them for years and they're finally beat up enough where it takes some work to get the full sound

Order the same ones? Its been more than 10 years so I'm out of the loop. Thanks. :)

(Is this the right thread?)

You probably wanna check out this thread! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563521&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Hey guys, I have a specific question that might have been answered before but here goes, hoping you can help.

I want to make some mandolin lesson videos for a youtube channel. I have an android smartphone with decent a decent camera for recording video, but I want to know if it's possible or even easy enough to connect my H4 Zoom audio recorder to my phone in order to use it as a microphone for my phone so that I can record videos in one go with good audio without having to combine audio and video in post (as final cut pro does my tits in). I've found some online tutorials about connecting H1 zooms to phones, but they all say to download a specific USB recording app that's just for audio.

Has anyone done anything like this?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Coohoolin posted:

Hey guys, I have a specific question that might have been answered before but here goes, hoping you can help.

I want to make some mandolin lesson videos for a youtube channel. I have an android smartphone with decent a decent camera for recording video, but I want to know if it's possible or even easy enough to connect my H4 Zoom audio recorder to my phone in order to use it as a microphone for my phone so that I can record videos in one go with good audio without having to combine audio and video in post (as final cut pro does my tits in). I've found some online tutorials about connecting H1 zooms to phones, but they all say to download a specific USB recording app that's just for audio.

Does iMovie allow separate audio tracking? Probably way easier for your needs if FCP is too daunting. The truth is that most YouTubers with at least decent audio and video are either recording their audio separately into their computers/recorders and combining them with camera footage or they’ve got good mics and good webcams going into their computers/good mics into their phones or whatever and recording like that. I have no clue if you can use the H4 as a phone mic but maybe it’s worth picking up a decent cheap phone mic instead or using the H4 as a USB computer mic and picking up a decent HD or 4K webcam for $20-$200.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Coohoolin posted:

If you're Zoom also has audio out, then I'd recommend an iRig. Works great. The associated app is garbage, though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Best solution for cheap latency free midi keyboard with an ipad? Preferably wireless.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If you're okay with tiny keys, Korg has the microKey Air series which works well.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I saw a very cool video of Chris Thile and Merrill Garbus arranging and recording a song in 4 hours with a gadget called a Spire Studio, anyone used this? Seems really cool for what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzRfZkiW2ts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrdWydPseZM

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Figured I could ask this here but I saw a local Facebook post from a studio that is moving and selling a bunch of their gear. I always try and keep my eye open for these because sometimes you can get some great gear for relatively cheap. However, I realized that I have next to no experience working with outboard gear and really don't even know where to start. I would really like to start teaching myself about outboard processing

Is there anything in this list of mixing/mastering hardware that I should consider getting? My first thought was the dbx160 XT Limiter/Compressor because I have heard a lot of good things about dbx and from what I have read, hardware compression has an interesting quality to it compared to in-the-box. If anyone has other recommendation on where to start with outboard gear, I'd love to hear them.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/708668182801669

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Anyone using Presonus Studio one? Just switched over from Sonar RIP.
It’s very different, and it’s odd that the things I used to rely on are absent (or so different I can’t even locate them yet).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

some_admin posted:

Anyone using Presonus Studio one? Just switched over from Sonar RIP.
It’s very different, and it’s odd that the things I used to rely on are absent (or so different I can’t even locate them yet).
Just in case you weren't aware:

Sonar now free, renamed ‘Cakewalk by BandLab’
Windows DAW free to download with Sonar Platinum feature set

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is there any non-scammy way to get a discount on Ableton Live Suite? I don’t have a student ID so any discount from 750 or whatever would be nice.

I see some listings on eBay but I don’t know if that’s a terrible idea or not https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F153162647647