Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If two teams tie, the matchmaker should conclude:

a.) the teams were evenly matched
b.) one team was better than the other
c.) both teams were better than each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

No Wave posted:

If two teams tie, the matchmaker should conclude:

a.) the teams were evenly matched
b.) one team was better than the other
c.) both teams were better than each other

And you do actually get SR for a tie if the other team was rated higher than yours on average. "The teams were evenly matched but the system thought it should be a mismatch"

You prove SR wrong with a tie, your SR moves. I've gotten as much as 7.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Are all arcade FFA matches ranked now?

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

Wildtortilla posted:

Are all arcade FFA matches ranked now?

No, that was just for Anniversary (and opt-in)

I suspect there is some MMR Matchmaking going on though

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Perfectly Safe posted:

Yeah, it's amazing how many poopyheads and whiners and the "oh well if you're not going to do exactly what I say then I'm going Sombra" people will actually start to play anyway if the game appears to be going well.

Yet we were on a comp match on hanamura, we just took point 1 in like 30 seconds after start, and one of our team left.

Whix
Oct 2, 2008

IT GOES BOOM!

Perfectly Safe posted:

Yeah, it's amazing how many poopyheads and whiners and the "oh well if you're not going to do exactly what I say then I'm going Sombra" people will actually start to play anyway if the game appears to be going well.

Heh, imagine i'm kinda trying to main Sombra and then i get "well if you're trolling, i'm going widow/torb/symmetra" most of the time. I know people don't trust Sombra players but give us a chance, she's OP in team fights. Now ... if he's playing her badly and he doesn't have an ulti for every team fight then yes, he should get off Sombra. Her ulti is easy to get and your team should have a sombra ulti for every team fight.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Whix posted:

Heh, imagine i'm kinda trying to main Sombra and then i get "well if you're trolling, i'm going widow/torb/symmetra" most of the time. I know people don't trust Sombra players but give us a chance, she's OP in team fights. Now ... if he's playing her badly and he doesn't have an ulti for every team fight then yes, he should get off Sombra. Her ulti is easy to get and your team should have a sombra ulti for every team fight.
Unfortunately, she's kinda bad right now. :( They overcorrected after her rework and now even top 500 Sombra streamers are switching to other characters until something is done about her, especially the bugs.

Whix
Oct 2, 2008

IT GOES BOOM!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Unfortunately, she's kinda bad right now. :( They overcorrected after her rework and now even top 500 Sombra streamers are switching to other characters until something is done about her, especially the bugs.

Wait, when was this? Didn't they buff her? What did the "overcorrect" after?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Whix posted:

Wait, when was this? Didn't they buff her? What did the "overcorrect" after?
People were complaining about hack being too easy to land, so now it gets interrupted constantly by bits of invisible level geometry and has extremely little forgiveness at the end of the animation compared to how it used to. It's obnoxious to land consistently now.

Whix
Oct 2, 2008

IT GOES BOOM!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

People were complaining about hack being too easy to land, so now it gets interrupted constantly by bits of invisible level geometry and has extremely little forgiveness at the end of the animation compared to how it used to. It's obnoxious to land consistently now.

Ah yeah i noticed that but it's not a problem right now, not gonna be at that level of play where a missed hack actually matters anytime soon. Gonna learn her anyway and "git gud" until they fix her.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Whix posted:

Sure, I didn't mean that Sombra's bad. However, people who switch to Sombra (or Widow) after a difficult team comp discussion are generally saying "well, I'm going to play a character that doesn't rely on the rest of the team because you're all idiots and you're going to gently caress everything up".

The tell is that they'll switch onto something more cohesive if, by some miracle, their assessment of the team's ability to succeed turns out to be inaccurate. Serious Sombra players have tons of good reasons to switch to something else - she is a fairly situational hero, after all - but "everything's going well" isn't one of them.

TheresaJayne posted:

Yet we were on a comp match on hanamura, we just took point 1 in like 30 seconds after start, and one of our team left.

Well, I did say "many" :) When that happens, I tend to assume that they've either lost connection or one of their parents has walked in on them not doing their homework. But some people are just ghastly and once they've predicted a loss they'll cut off their own nose to make sure it happens.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
SR is an assessment system and a metric for matchmaking, but it's also a number you fixate on that keeps you playing the game over and over again.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

I think I’m gonna use the end of the season to play hero’s I don’t often play because (and this is just anecdotal) it seems like over half the games I play have a leaver, on one side or the other. It’s getting pretty pathetic. I’m just solo queuing, maybe that has something to do with it but man this is just worse than at any other time that I can remember.

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011

Santheb posted:

I think I’m gonna use the end of the season to play hero’s I don’t often play because (and this is just anecdotal) it seems like over half the games I play have a leaver, on one side or the other. It’s getting pretty pathetic. I’m just solo queuing, maybe that has something to do with it but man this is just worse than at any other time that I can remember.

I'm also solo queuing and I swear to God, this season's comp crowd is an open sewer and they've made me drop from Plat to almost Bronze. I'm far from being a good player but some of the poo poo I've had this season has to be seen to be believed and the further downward I go the worse it gets. And I'm not playing worse or tilted, I did placements on my other account and I'm still plat, but it's just that 8 out of 10 games I've had on my main are unsalvageable messes.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Max Awfuls posted:

I'm also solo queuing and I swear to God, this season's comp crowd is an open sewer and they've made me drop from Plat to almost Bronze. I'm far from being a good player but some of the poo poo I've had this season has to be seen to be believed and the further downward I go the worse it gets. And I'm not playing worse or tilted, I did placements on my other account and I'm still plat, but it's just that 8 out of 10 games I've had on my main are unsalvageable messes.

I just uninstalled the game and uninstalled blizzard's launcher. gently caress this game. I have been been 2500-2800 every season since comp launched and I'm <2100 now. I'm on a ~7 game losing streak over 2.5 weeks. Yesterday I played for the first time in 2.5 weeks and every game was a total blowout against my team. I just lost my last game. The highlight was after I avoided an enemy earthshatter, I stepped out of my hiding spot into the still glowing ground and fell over.

This game was fun but, man, it's awful now. I'm not the best player, I know and accept this, but something's gotta give. That something is removing all things Blizzard from my computer.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
be sure to tell the try hard and meimei threads how mad you are too

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
he's made the quitting post a lot, even by overwatch thread standards

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

No Wave posted:

he's made the quitting post a lot, even by overwatch thread standards

I know! But this was my biggest break away from the game and I still dislike it! I'm going to play more fun video games! Have fun if you enjoy this game!

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
See you in a few weeks. :wave:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I've found that I rarely get upset about bad matches or other people in any multiplayer game these days, if I get annoyed it's aimed at my own poor play. I really dislike feeling like I didn't contribute or that I'm repeatedly making obvious mistakes, even if no one else complains.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Ronnie posted:

See you in a few weeks. :wave:

Maybe! Mario Tennis is out in two days and that demo is what broke me of Overwatch.

Whix
Oct 2, 2008

IT GOES BOOM!

Max Awfuls posted:

I used to be plat, just like you, but then i got a sea of useless bots in my team and dropped to 2010 but climbing back. In all fairness i played drunk a bunch of times and got tilted and picked troll heroes other times but besides those times group SR was lower than the enemy team most of the time. My current resolution is to play as best i can as a dps until i get back to ranks where i can safely tank/heal knowing the dps can actually kill things.

Whix
Oct 2, 2008

IT GOES BOOM!

Kanfy posted:

I've found that I rarely get upset about bad matches or other people in any multiplayer game these days, if I get annoyed it's aimed at my own poor play. I really dislike feeling like I didn't contribute or that I'm repeatedly making obvious mistakes, even if no one else complains.

This is the right attitude, i used to get pissed when losing SR and checking it every day etc but now i just play to improve my gameplay in various aspects and don't get tilted or upset anymore. Eventually when i'm good enough i will climb. SR really comes naturally and it's usually deserved (except the 30-40% games where you actually don't have a chance because of leavers/teamcomp/ etc)

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Have the (EU) servers been this rocky for long? Haven't played since the event, but almost every MH game I find I can't connect to properly today ("Failed to connect to server") or it connects to a black screen.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 21, 2018

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I've had no issues in recent times.

E: Sounds like people are indeed having problems at the moment though.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 21, 2018

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I too am getting good at not being upset over SR losses or not getting tilted in competitive matches, but I still find it hard not to lose my cool when my team is doing something objectively dumb, like feeding.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE654wPBFs8

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I wouldn't even be mad.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Amazing.

Max Awfuls
Sep 10, 2011
The other day I was playing Brigitte and I whip shot Zarya straight into traffic in that same spot and I was wondering if if she had bubbled up would that have saved her.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Yes.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Max Awfuls posted:

The other day I was playing Brigitte and I whip shot Zarya straight into traffic in that same spot and I was wondering if if she had bubbled up would that have saved her.

You can certainly ride the cars in a Mei ice block. Don't know about Zarya.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Looks like the tease for the next hero is starting, which is looking to be the other monkey.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!
Speaking of new hero, I haven't played for a while and I just picked up a copy for my partner. She's taken a liking to Brigitte and probably won't do much experimenting with all of the characters. Is Brigitte decent for a casual player who doesn't want to aim that much? I didn't see a writeup for her in the OP. Any tips would be appreciated, too.

edit: thank you for the responses

The Sean fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 21, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Sean posted:

Any tips would be appreciated, too.

Mace to the face

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Shield-bash flippy chumps

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

monkeymonkeymonkeymonkey—nonono, other monkeymonkeymonkeymonkey

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The Sean posted:

Is Brigitte decent for a casual player who doesn't want to aim that much?

Yeah she rules :3

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Rolled into Doomfist in Mystery and had quite literally the closest of calls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGcW_C3LaOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

So because I’ve not ever played much of her until I started messing around on her in lovely situations (leavers, throwers) but Ana is pretty fun. Landing sleep darts and anti-nades is very satisfying.

However the thing I’m most impressed with is her arm strength. She’s like Uncle Rico out there.