Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Mimir posted:

i can't remember the real name of it but they've already done mazingirl z.

Don't know about statues, but there's the Mazinger Otome manga and the unrelated Robot Girls anime/mobile game.

Granted, I think Uncle Go would be waaaaay more willing to jump on that bandwagon than the corporate types at Sunrise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

HitTheTargets posted:

Don't know about statues, but there's the Mazinger Otome manga and the unrelated Robot Girls anime/mobile game.

Granted, I think Uncle Go would be waaaaay more willing to jump on that bandwagon than the corporate types at Sunrise.

You speak as though the corporate types at Sunrise wouldn't be willing to make cute girl versions of their slate of giant robots, in a world where Kantai Collection and Fate are out there printing money.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
http://sfdebris.com/videos/anime/mobilesuitgundam1.php

I don't know how many of you guys watch SF Debris videos. He usually looks at Star Trek and other SF shows, but a few years ago he did an outsider's look at War in the Pocket, and now he's done a look at 0079. Interesting viewing if you want to see someone with little exposure to the franchise dive in.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m playing Gundam Breaker 3 and I swear I just encountered a Ball stacked on top of another Ball

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Reading through background material on the OYW, I'm left with a question- is it ever explained why Zeon would gas a bunch of other colonies? Operation British I get, that at least seems like it was directly aimed at attacking the Federation military.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Taintrunner posted:

I’m playing Gundam Breaker 3 and I swear I just encountered a Ball stacked on top of another Ball

The Ball's "body" can be equipped as both a torso and a head

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Reading through background material on the OYW, I'm left with a question- is it ever explained why Zeon would gas a bunch of other colonies? Operation British I get, that at least seems like it was directly aimed at attacking the Federation military.

They felt that they couldn't count on getting the other Sides to join them, and that it was better to instead deny the Federation a bunch of resources by depopulating them instead as they didn't have the manpower needed to occupy them themselves

If we ever get some OYW stuff in Super Robot Wars again I feel it would be a great twist to have them be occupying the colonies instead due to taking advantage of the alliances Zeon usually has with Doctor Hell and other Super Robot villains by borrowing some of their mooks to hold the colonies captive

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Most of the other colonies responded to Zeon's "Freedom for Spacenoids!" rhetoric with "Uh... what? We're with the Federation."

Side 6, in a shocking display of self-preservation instinct, noticed that Zeon was really loving crazy and went "Um... we're with... nobody. We're over here. Not being part of this. WE ARE NOT INVOLVED!"

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
I've always seen it as black-and-white thinking. "These colonies won't stand unambiguously with us, so they are all the enemy!" With a heavy dose of wanting to instill fear in anyone who would otherwise think of resistance.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mr. Belpit posted:

I've always seen it as black-and-white thinking. "These colonies won't stand unambiguously with us, so they are all the enemy!" With a heavy dose of wanting to instill fear in anyone who would otherwise think of resistance.

Hell, every colony but Side 6(neutral) and Side 7(unfinished and underpopulated) was unambiguously AGAINST Zeon.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Kanos posted:

Hell, every colony but Side 6(neutral) and Side 7(unfinished and underpopulated) was unambiguously AGAINST Zeon.

I guess you could say... they didn't like taking Sides.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Mr. Belpit posted:

This is my take, with an added dose of hypocrisy from the Zabi family. Spout rhetoric about freedom, have Kycilia run the secret police.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

What's kind of sad to me is that watching 0079 there's no indication that Zeon did any such thing and it was really just an invention of later supplementary material that was adopted in to canon starting with side stories like 08th MS Team. In 0079 itself there's really just a near still image of a single colony cylinder hitting an unidentified city as the narrator talks about how humanity disgusted even itself or something if I recall. It's not even a complete image of the colony and all you can see is the bottom (or top I guess) of the colony slamming in to said unknown city. There's no indication only one colony fell and not even any indication it's fall was deliberately engineered and not just the unintended effect of a cataclysmic battle at one of the Sides. Speaking of, the only mentions of the Sides is that 4 of them were completely destroyed while most of Side 6 was destroyed and Side 7 was still only one cylinder. Again, at no point is it actually explained what happened to them, whether their destruction was deliberate or a side effect of the open hostilities between the factions or what.

I kind of like that ambiguity, and more to the point, the equivalence between the factions it implies is more in line with how I tend to think of Gundam; as a story about the shittiness of war and how it's really just about distant and greedy leaders politicking for power with everyone else caught in the crossfire. Which 0079 reinforces by having several episodes that focus on smaller enemy stories; like the Zeon foot soldiers in "Time Be Still", who were implied to be conscripted and really just wanted to go home, or Doan in "Cocoruz Doan's Island", who went AWOL after his superiors ordered him to execute some kids. It helped illustrate that there were good people on both sides caught in bad circumstances in a way I don't think later Gundam entries ever really bothered to do. There's still examples of good people on both sides, but you only really ever see them sprinkled in to the larger narrative rather than focus in on them the way 0079 did.

Later supplementary material basically pins it all on Zeon being power hungry douchebags who dropped a colony, destroyed all of the Sides and basically caused every misery in the show and it feels way too one sided. Doing that also makes some of the characters seem a bit weird. In the original Ramba Ral is this honorable enemy who doesn't care that Amuro is the enemy once he realizes because they're not on a battlefield and he just treats him as another kid, and when he realizes who he is and that the entire crew is just kids he's kind of horrified. He's only ever after the White Base because he wants to do something that will gain prestige for his team and assure them of a better life. Stuff that paints him in a sympathetic and rather humane light. Until you place that in the context of a larger story where he was part of a group that deliberately committed mass murder dozens of times over; at which point you kind of have to wonder why such a self effacing and somewhat considerate person is even part of Zeon in the first place or if he's just a schizo all along.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 20, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tsob posted:

Later supplementary material basically pins it all on Zeon being power hungry douchebags who dropped a colony, destroyed all of the Sides and basically caused every misery in the show and it feels way too one sided.

But all the stories about individual Zeon soldiers being good people still hold up. The One Year War is extremely based on WW2, and nobody would argue that there there were no good people in the German army. Like you were saying about Gundam, there were conscripts and people who went AWOL. But Nazi Germany was still a horrible monstrous country that had to be defeated. Like, Ramba Ral is an extremely obvious Rommel pastiche.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I would say that Ral is a Rommel pastiche that completely buys in to the myth of Rommel as "the good Nazi" and romanticizes the poo poo out of Rommel and, as above, his inclusion in the series becomes kind of weird when you consider him against the backdrop of a setting where he was apparently okay with mass murder. Rommel can be examined in that setting, because a lot of the myth around him is just that: myth. Ramba Ral is harder because we're not given reason to suspect he's anything other than what we're shown in the TV show or movies.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ramba Ral is a likeable character, but even wholly in the context of the original Mobile Suit Gundam he's a guy who discovers that he's fighting a bunch of children and he's been abandoned and hosed over by his superior and his response to this scenario isn't to haul back and reassess, it's to decide to go down fighting "like a soldier" and die pointlessly in a furious final attempt to destroy said children. Even when he's unambiguously and totally defeated and faced with a woman he should still have loyalty to(Sayla), he doesn't surrender, compromise, or divert from his idiotic, self-destructive path until the very end and his death is ultimately quite pathetic.

This is extremely in-line with later additions to the Zeon backstory.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

Ramba Ral is a likeable character, but even wholly in the context of the original Mobile Suit Gundam he's a guy who discovers that he's fighting a bunch of children and he's been abandoned and hosed over by his superior and his response to this scenario isn't to haul back and reassess, it's to decide to go down fighting "like a soldier" and die pointlessly in a furious final attempt to destroy said children. Even when he's unambiguously and totally defeated and faced with a woman he should still have loyalty to(Sayla), he doesn't surrender, compromise, or divert from his idiotic, self-destructive path until the very end and his death is ultimately quite pathetic.

This is extremely in-line with later additions to the Zeon backstory.

If by "furious final attempt to destroy said children" you mean jump out the side of a ship and detonate a handful of grenades without targeting anyone or anything. He was committing suicide to show them how soldier's die, not attempting to kill any of them. And he was committing suicide because he was obviously already heavily wounded considering Ryu had just shot him and he'd been standing right in front of the wall when Amuro destroyed it. Even when he gets up he's sweating, leaning heavily on one side while clutching his abdomen and struggling to walk. When Sayla asks why he's pointing a gun at her by the way, he points the gun away and stumbles over his words to the tune of "umm...no, what" and he's forced to leave her because Ryu comes charging down the corridor shooting at him. He retreats in to the secondary bridge, orders his men to go since the mission is a failure and is about to tell Hamon that he'd met Artesia there when Amuro stabs the beam spear through the wall and further hurts him, destroying any chance of doing anything more. He had no time to pull back or reassess the situation following the discovery that Artesia was on board or that the entire ship was crewed by kids and teenagers. He does tell Hamon to continue the fight before the console is destroyed, but he does so just before mentioning that Artesia is on board in a way that suggests he wants her to have that information and assess it herself (since he's obviously not going to be able to at that point) and all he tells her to do is destroy the White Base and not any of it's occupants. At no point is he ever shown as malicious towards any of the occupants or contemplative of mass murder.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Ramba sees they are all children and still goes in with his team with explosives and machine guns to kill them. They literally see the actual children making faces at them as they put the bomb on the window.

Original MSG (and the movies) contain a whole bunch of "the individual soldiers can be good, but the overall thing absolutely had to be stopped" message. If anything later stuff sometimes went too hard the other way, sometimes veering into straight up Nazi apologia. And the stuff about Zeon dropping the colony and Operation British are mentioned and described in original MSG, just not in detail during the opening narration. Zeon, from minute one of MSG, was unambiguously the bad guys that had to be stopped and certainly way worse than the Federation.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

EthanSteele posted:

And the stuff about Zeon dropping the colony and Operation British are mentioned and described in original MSG, just not in detail during the opening narration. Zeon, from minute one of MSG, was unambiguously the bad guys that had to be stopped and certainly way worse than the Federation.

Where are they described during the show or movies? The only place I can think of that it might have happened is in the novels, because there's no word about it in the animation that I can recall.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

tsob posted:

If by "furious final attempt to destroy said children" you mean jump out the side of a ship and detonate a handful of grenades without targeting anyone or anything. He was committing suicide to show them how soldier's die, not attempting to kill any of them. And he was committing suicide because he was obviously already heavily wounded considering Ryu had just shot him and he'd been standing right in front of the wall when Amuro destroyed it. Even when he gets up he's sweating, leaning heavily on one side while clutching his abdomen and struggling to walk. When Sayla asks why he's pointing a gun at her by the way, he points the gun away and stumbles over his words to the tune of "umm...no, what" and he's forced to leave her because Ryu comes charging down the corridor shooting at him. He retreats in to the secondary bridge, orders his men to go since the mission is a failure and is about to tell Hamon that he'd met Artesia there when Amuro stabs the beam spear through the wall and further hurts him, destroying any chance of doing anything more. He had no time to pull back or reassess the situation following the discovery that Artesia was on board or that the entire ship was crewed by kids and teenagers. He does tell Hamon to continue the fight before the console is destroyed, but he does so just before mentioning that Artesia is on board in a way that suggests he wants her to have that information and assess it herself (since he's obviously not going to be able to at that point) and all he tells her to do is destroy the White Base and not any of it's occupants. At no point is he ever shown as malicious towards any of the occupants or contemplative of mass murder.

There is a gap between when Ramba Ral realizes who Amuro and Fraw are and when he orders the final attack on the White Base - it's in said gap where he finds out that M'Quve has hung him out to dry. He still orders his men to assault the White Base with machine guns and try to capture it, when he had every option not to do that - this is the pull back and reassess phase. Even failing that, as Ethan says, Ral's soldiers literally see the kids on the white base as they plant their bombs and don't hesitate or stop.

Him meeting Artesia was far too late for him to change his mind about attacking, but it wasn't too late for him to change his mind about committing suicide to prove how a true soldier dies(pointlessly and stubbornly, apparently). He had the option of surrender, but he's too prideful to consider it even though he internally admits that he's been defeated.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
There's the really good scene with the Zeon supply unit that Amuro shot down (and everyone is grumpy at him for attacking a non-combat unit) and the woman who leaves White Base asks them where X City is because she can't see it anywhere and she's sure its around here somewhere and the guys respond with basically "oh, you're standing in it, it was one of the first places we nuked off the map when we first invaded"

Zeon has always been the bad one.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Forgot that Kira gets to see the Tears of Time.

Also Athrun I guess just leaves Justice to get blown up along with the rest of that place, it's not very clear.

Just started Origin and Ramba Ral certainly seems like a moral dude for a moment anyway, but from the sounds of this thread that will change quickly.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Forgot that Kira gets to see the Tears of Time.

Also Athrun I guess just leaves Justice to get blown up along with the rest of that place, it's not very clear.

Just started Origin and Ramba Ral certainly seems like a moral dude for a moment anyway, but from the sounds of this thread that will change quickly.

Origin massively overhauls how Ramba Ral fits into the story and goes out of its way to portray his actions in a better light.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kanos posted:

There is a gap between when Ramba Ral realizes who Amuro and Fraw are and when he orders the final attack on the White Base - it's in said gap where he finds out that M'Quve has hung him out to dry. He still orders his men to assault the White Base with machine guns and try to capture it, when he had every option not to do that - this is the pull back and reassess phase. Even failing that, as Ethan says, Ral's soldiers literally see the kids on the white base as they plant their bombs and don't hesitate or stop.

Amuro is a teeanger and a willing soldier so far as he knows, in a war that as several people point out is filled with underage soldiers. Killing a teenager might be regrettable, but it's a fairly common thing in war for teens to be fully committed soldiers. I don't really see why he should have cause to reassess based on the presence of two teens as soldiers on the White Base. I'm not even sure why you think he should refuse to attack the White Base because M'Quve had failed to supply him with the Doms promised. He's still a soldier at the end of the day. Also, it's worth pointing out that when one of Ramba's men sees a literal child in the window as he's planting a bomb he immediately warns her to get back and then doesn't detonate the bomb until he sees that someone is taking the child away.

https://my.mixtape.moe/glpbce.webm

Ramba himself also refuses to attack Fraw, and simply tells her to hide while constantly talking about how their objective is the secondary bridge.

https://my.mixtape.moe/bjwyye.webm

It all builds a picture of someone whose only real objective is taking the White Base out as efficiently as possible with what resources he has; not someone concerned with hurting or killing the enemy in any form.

Kanos posted:

Him meeting Artesia was far too late for him to change his mind about attacking, but it wasn't too late for him to change his mind about committing suicide to prove how a true soldier dies(pointlessly and stubbornly, apparently). He had the option of surrender, but he's too prideful to consider it even though he internally admits that he's been defeated.

I would personally agree that surrender is probably the better option, but Japan has romanticized suicide for the sake of honor until recently (including during WWII) so I think that scene may have played a little differently for the intended audience. It's also entirely probable that he knew he was dying either way given the amount of damage he'd taken (machine gun shots to the torso along with an indirect hit from a beam weapon before being thrown across a room as shrapnel filled it).

EthanSteele posted:

There's the really good scene with the Zeon supply unit that Amuro shot down (and everyone is grumpy at him for attacking a non-combat unit) and the woman who leaves White Base asks them where X City is because she can't see it anywhere and she's sure its around here somewhere and the guys respond with basically "oh, you're standing in it, it was one of the first places we nuked off the map when we first invaded"

https://my.mixtape.moe/ogjmnx.webm

I think you may be mis-remembering that scene somewhat, because there's no mention of what actually happened to St. Anges; just that it used to be where they're standing until a year ago. Unless the subs and the dub I have massively hosed up I suppose.

Kanos posted:

Origin massively overhauls how Ramba Ral fits into the story and goes out of its way to portray his actions in a better light.

I haven't read all of Origin (only the first few volumes), but I can't even really see how he'd be portrayed in a better light while still keeping him as a villain. Does he fart rainbows and give out free handjobs or something? In 0079, Ramba is very obviously an antagonist but nothing he does makes him come across as evil or villainous, nor as someone who would support the deliberate decimation of colonies and their use as weapons. And no, I don't think a willingness to attack teenagers on the other side implies someone who would gas millions.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 21, 2018

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

tsob posted:

I would say that Ral is a Rommel pastiche that completely buys in to the myth of Rommel as "the good Nazi" and romanticizes the poo poo out of Rommel ...

tbf, "Rommel the Good-Guy Nazi" was the accepted popular image of Rommel for decades, and certainly when MSG was produced. I don't think an alternate take on his legacy really caught on among non-historians until relatively recent years.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In Origin, Ral actively helps smuggle Artesia and Casval out of Side 3 and only makes his way back into the military after the Ral family is blacklisted because Dozle Zabi cared about his abilities as a soldier and not about his family ties. When the attack on Side 2 commences and Dozle confides with Ral about the gassing plan and subsequent colony drop, Ral objects on moral grounds and throws away his career in disgust before spending the rest of the movie drunk in a bar.

He's a much more heroic figure in Origin but hardly a selfless one. He has moral standards that the rest of Zeon high command piss away, but he's not about to join the Federation because he disagrees with the Zabi's genocide campaign.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arcsquad12 posted:

In Origin, Ral actively helps smuggle Artesia and Casval out of Side 3 and only makes his way back into the military after the Ral family is blacklisted because Dozle Zabi cared about his abilities as a soldier and not about his family ties. When the attack on Side 2 commences and Dozle confides with Ral about the gassing plan and subsequent colony drop, Ral objects on moral grounds and throws away his career in disgust before spending the rest of the movie drunk in a bar.

He's a much more heroic figure in Origin but hardly a selfless one. He has moral standards that the rest of Zeon high command piss away, but he's not about to join the Federation because he disagrees with the Zabi's genocide campaign.

That seems to sacrifice Dozle's character for Rals really, since Dozle in the show is portrayed as someone quite concerned with the lives of his men. When he realizes Solomon is lost he orders his wife to leave with Mineva and all her retainers then sorties in the Big Zam before ordering his two subordinates to leave that too since there's no point in them throwing away their lives as well. I don't even think it's kind of lovely to portray Dozle as someone complicit in the gassings, so much as I think Dozle manipulating Ramba to ensure he's a soldier kind of goes against how Dozle is portrayed in 0079. I don't even think Dozle in the show really has the intelligence or cunning to contemplate that kind of manipulation. That said, I also find it weird that in a retelling that fully embraces the idea that Zeon were genocidal dicks, the "heroic" villain is fully prepared to continue to side with them just so long as he can opt out of participating in their worst excesses. That seems far less heroic than anything Ral did in the show to me, not more.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 21, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dozle's motivations in Origin V are really skewed by his hosed up perception of the world. Ral's condemnation of the colony drop really gets to him and he pretty much breaks down in front of his wife. He realizes he's complicit in genocide and he can't even hold his own daughter without her being terrified of his face. It's a deeply humanizing moment for Dozle because he is aware of how wrong he is... only for him to have the wrong epiphany. He rationalizes his own guilt at killing those people as his concern for his family, casting blame against those he murdered for being too weak to defend their own families. It's pretty tragic, actually.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well, like I said, I don't find it objectionable that Dozle would participate in colony attacks that deliberately wipe them out en masse. He's so straight forward and kind of simple minded that I find it entirely plausible he'd see it as a necessary sacrifice and something he feels obligated to do for the sake of family. What I find somewhat against type for him is the idea of him manipulating his subordinates in some way, since that seems to go against the kind of guy he's portrayed as in the show.

Edit: And I suppose it's worth reiterating that I'm not really seeing how a character can be more heroic for tacitly approving of colony gassing and dropping along with genocide than they are for being willing to attack a single ship that has some teenagers on it.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 21, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I suppose if Zeon was doing that dire poo poo to try to intimidate the other colonies, it kind of shows the farcial and self-defeating nature of "do something incredibly vicious to scare the other guy into doing what you want."

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

No lie modern gundam is pretty. Origin, Unicorn, Thunderbolt are all gorgeous compared to even the stuff produced in the 2000's.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Didn't Dozle only find out about the gassing himself like right before they happened, if I recall properly that idea was entirely a Ghiren one

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

No lie modern gundam is pretty. Origin, Unicorn, Thunderbolt are all gorgeous compared to even the stuff produced in the 2000's.

Turn A and War in the Pocket still look pretty good, I think.

Honestly, the 2000s often look worse than older anime too, since they were just figuring out how to handle digital after decades of working with cell animation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
90s Gundam hits that sweet spot for me where it was just about the zenith of traditional painted cell animation. Plus the kawamoto character designs are all fantastic.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Turn A is on the whole really nice to look at, 0083 for all the hate the plot gets still looks great. Most of the 90s AU series are fine, but only have moments where you really want to look closely. SEED is a drastic downgrade honestly and 00 is alright but I'd agree they're that weird blend of digital and traditional that doesn't always mesh.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
SEED does deserve special mention for being the complete package of ugliness, though. Terrible character designs, ugly, plasticky suits, and lazy/incompetent visual direction make for a powerfully unpleasant combo even before you get into those garish digipaint colours that made all those regrettable colour schemes even more regrettable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
0083 looks great. It's just the storytelling, voice acting, characters and sound design that is terrible.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

SEED does deserve special mention for being the complete package of ugliness, though. Terrible character designs, ugly, plasticky suits, and lazy/incompetent visual direction make for a powerfully unpleasant combo even before you get into those garish digipaint colours that made all those regrettable colour schemes even more regrettable.

Don't forget the random moments of hyper gore that are completely illfitting for the art style, and just plain gross too

It's the one thing about SEED that's kept me from giving it a rewatch(as I actually really like most of the SEED robot designs), and has kept me away from Destiny more than anything, the possibility that it has more of that crap(as otherwise I'd watch it at least once to better understand it's legendary crappiness)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

tsob posted:

I haven't read all of Origin (only the first few volumes), but I can't even really see how he'd be portrayed in a better light while still keeping him as a villain. Does he fart rainbows and give out free handjobs or something? In 0079, Ramba is very obviously an antagonist but nothing he does makes him come across as evil or villainous, nor as someone who would support the deliberate decimation of colonies and their use as weapons. And no, I don't think a willingness to attack teenagers on the other side implies someone who would gas millions.

One of the main changes is that Ral's family name and his decision to help the Deikun kids effectively put him and his men at the mercy of the Zabi regime instead of leaving them as independent actors, so they don't have the ability to refuse military service under the principality. He's not a Zeon soldier because he wants to be, he's one because he's effectively got a gun to the back of himself and his men. Even then he's shown to morally object to Zeon's actions on several occasions; when Zeon is attempting to stop Dr. Minovsky from defecting, the Black Tri Stars' bloodlust causes Minovsky's death while Ral looks on in horror and orders them to stop(and is ignored), and when Dozle orders him to participate in the colony gassing Ral is shown to very openly and loudly refuse Dozle's orders to his face, which puts him and his men in jeopardy again.

Basically, while Ramba Ral in Original Gundam as an old soldier who's just following orders to the best of his ability, Origin Ral is effectively forced into working for Zeon and bridles at its lovely actions openly.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I finally got around to finishing off the second season of Iron-Blooded Orphans. I was pretty satisfied overall. It certainly took a while to get to the point and it sort of felt unnecessarily cruel at times but Iok died very slowly so I'm good with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

THE SPHERICAL COFFIN