Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Keeshhound posted:

Those vending machines had more character and charm.

"If you shop anywhere else, I'll have you killed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HFCS
Oct 16, 2013
This has some stuff I hadn't seen before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjt9TioKPsc

SPECIAL relates to specific jobs you can have. Building and crafting levels you just as combat would. Hostile players show up as red pings just like hostile raiders/muties would. Game tells you if it's someone who has harassed you before and you get revenge-kill bonus (amounts are probably still being adjusted). I'm no longer biting my nails nervously at this, and am actually quite excited to see what is to come.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Got my beta code in, I have got to see how this train wreck unravels. From previous experience if you're not rolling with some folks in these kinds of games you're a constant victim, and if you try to roll with someone you don't really know you'll be their cabin boy at best and eventually they'll also betray you and take all your poo poo. So I'm taking offers, who's got a team and wants me for a cabin boy?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

CrashCat posted:

Got my beta code in, I have got to see how this train wreck unravels. From previous experience if you're not rolling with some folks in these kinds of games you're a constant victim, and if you try to roll with someone you don't really know you'll be their cabin boy at best and eventually they'll also betray you and take all your poo poo. So I'm taking offers, who's got a team and wants me for a cabin boy?

Don't worry, once you get killed you can allegedly block the other player from attacking you again.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me but that's what they're saying

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
just gotta get killed 3 million times and eventually you'll run out of players that can harm you

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Zelder posted:

Don't worry, once you get killed you can allegedly block the other player from attacking you again.

That's great, if all I cared about was seeing a different face killing me and taking all my poo poo every time. If you want any foothold at all you have to be the one taking other people's poo poo or be a legitimate enough and well known enough threat that nobody touches your poo poo, that's how these games work. And in the latter case your team will invariably get bored and gently caress itself over.

So who wants a cabin boy?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

CrashCat posted:

What platform?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Zelder posted:

This is also kind of a dumb system because there will always be new players popping up in your server. There's no way they can limit it to ~30 players and not have some kind of churn as people quit playing, so whether you move to a new server or new people move into yours, more people will always be able to attack you for the first time.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
wait so how does this multiplayer stuff interact with VATS? or did that system go away at some point during fallouts 5-75 (sorry for asking i havent played them yet im waiting for a sale)

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mr Hootington posted:

What platform?
Doesn't matter to me, though I can't tell if the code restricts me or not since it just goes on Bethesda's site. I've got both Xbox and PS4 as well as an alright PC. In the unlikely event I actually like the game I could just cancel my Amazon order and order a different platform. I guess Xbox One is supposed to open first but I also expect that to be least popular.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

NofrikinfuN posted:

This is also kind of a dumb system because there will always be new players popping up in your server. There's no way they can limit it to ~30 players and not have some kind of churn as people quit playing, so whether you move to a new server or new people move into yours, more people will always be able to attack you for the first time.
I can't really reconcile it at all, the only reason for killing someone in a survival game is to take their base and/or the stuff in it. If you only get to kill someone once, that would imply that after that point either you automatically own free access to all their poo poo or you're magically cut off from all of it. If it's the latter people will just insist on killing each other as some sort of bizarre treaty ritual.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CrashCat posted:

I can't really reconcile it at all, the only reason for killing someone in a survival game is to take their base and/or the stuff in it. If you only get to kill someone once, that would imply that after that point either you automatically own free access to all their poo poo or you're magically cut off from all of it. If it's the latter people will just insist on killing each other as some sort of bizarre treaty ritual.

From what I saw in the preview, killing players just gets you some XP and caps (not even a whole lot, it looks like) and you can't loot players because they don't drop inventory on death. Unless you want to nickel and dime your XP, there's no reason to kill other players except for short-lived griefing.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

chitoryu12 posted:

From what I saw in the preview, killing players just gets you some XP and caps (not even a whole lot, it looks like) and you can't loot players because they don't drop inventory on death. Unless you want to nickel and dime your XP, there's no reason to kill other players except for short-lived griefing.
That doesn't explain anything. Nobody keeps all their poo poo on their person, it's the base that's got the built up wealth. What happens with that?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, it really seems like a system that neither type of player is going to like. At which point, dividing into PVP and PVM servers would ensure players got the experience they were looking for. PVP servers could even be positioned like a hardcore mode, letting you get looted when you die.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CrashCat posted:

That doesn't explain anything. Nobody keeps all their poo poo on their person, it's the base that's got the built up wealth. What happens with that?

You have three options:

1. If a person disables you from killing them, it also disables you from blowing up their base and taking their stuff.

2. You can't blow up their base, and if you can you can't loot anything so it's just more XP and caps.

3. If a person disables you from killing them, they can still blow up your base with impunity.

I'm going to guess 1 or 2.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Soup du Journey posted:

wait so how does this multiplayer stuff interact with VATS? or did that system go away at some point during fallouts 5-75 (sorry for asking i havent played them yet im waiting for a sale)

According to Todd:

quote:

VATS will work in real-time, it will be different but if you are not that good with shooters you can specialize your character to be good at using VATS.

So all you have to do is spec for VATS and Stealth, and become an Aimbotting Ninja Murderhobo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Soup du Journey posted:

VATS in it's old form is not in this game. Don't know if it has a new name, but in 76 the crutch mechanic is a realtime autoaim ability.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

According to Todd:

So all you have to do is spec for VATS and Stealth, and become an Aimbotting Ninja Murderhobo

Sounds like VATS builds will be obnoxious to play against on consoles and utter dogshit on PC

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dalael posted:

Please do, I'd love to see it. I actually read a bit about the mod and was really tempted until I decided to do my run at legendary, but i might add it for my normal modded game.

For those of you who likes settlements and have a gently caress ton of time to waste like I did, take some time to watch these videos (or part of them):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLNljpYE8jA Part-1
etc

I didn't watch the whole thing since they're 45min each but it really, really is impressive. The attention to detail is quite simply amazing.

Meh, I get it, but it's modded up the bung. I'm having fun with getting things to look good pretty good within the limitations in the base game. I haven't even bought any of the DLC.

NofrikinfuN posted:

The shortfalls are things like a lack of prefab pieces from a site that snap-in with your junk, or not being able to clear certain rubble that is in the way. They also were not great about scripting and dead bodies can reappear in your camps. Defend Settlement X missions are really poorly implemented and could make for some decent radiant content if they cleaned them up and maybe made them a little more interesting. (Maybe a named legendary raider/ghoul/mutant in the group?)

Figuring out how to build with the feng shui of the wastes was a big part of the appeal to me. It's what made it a bit of a puzzle, and sometimes I have to scrap my ideas and try a different approach.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

chitoryu12 posted:

You have three options:

1. If a person disables you from killing them, it also disables you from blowing up their base and taking their stuff.

2. You can't blow up their base, and if you can you can't loot anything so it's just more XP and caps.

3. If a person disables you from killing them, they can still blow up your base with impunity.

I'm going to guess 1 or 2.
Well if it's 2 then I guess I don't need to be a cabin boy, but I'd still like some folks to run around with murdering radscorpions and poo poo. Also if it's not 3 it begs the question of why to bother including the PVP at all, but I'm not a game developer...

I can't even imagine how #1 would work, you'd have to deliberately avoid contact but also lure people away somehow so that you could take all their stuff.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you can't loot bodies you probably can't loot bases, especially as you can just put your base into your back pocket and wander off.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Azhais posted:

If you can't loot bodies you probably can't loot bases, especially as you can just put your base into your back pocket and wander off.

Yeah, they initially hyped up the "Build anywhere!" feature as an expansion of the settlements, but then ruined it by saying that it's just a portable camp that you can pack up whenever you want and disappears when you log off.

Again, they're trying to mix and match genres in really weird ways without the full set of features that make these genres fun.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'm finishing Rex's quest and I can't decide whether I want him to be faster or bite harder. Both options seem to make him a bit more effective, but I'm not sure which is better. Now soliciting opinions.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Azhais posted:

Well, that's utterly bizarre. Have they never played one of the games they're trying to rip off emulate? :confused:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

Meh, I get it, but it's modded up the bung. I'm having fun with getting things to look good pretty good within the limitations in the base game. I haven't even bought any of the DLC.

Figuring out how to build with the feng shui of the wastes was a big part of the appeal to me. It's what made it a bit of a puzzle, and sometimes I have to scrap my ideas and try a different approach.

I only recently started paying attention to the settlement, but i feel that the base game + dlc just doesn't have enough stuff. Also there seems to be mods that simply make things easier to build and I kinda want those.

Just building a flat floor was a pain in the rear end for my Starlight drive n

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

StandardVC10 posted:

I'm finishing Rex's quest and I can't decide whether I want him to be faster or bite harder. Both options seem to make him a bit more effective, but I'm not sure which is better. Now soliciting opinions.

You don't want +10 DT on him via Lupa's brain?

Or are you not going anywhere near the Legion

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dalael posted:

I only recently started paying attention to the settlement, but i feel that the base game + dlc just doesn't have enough stuff. Also there seems to be mods that simply make things easier to build and I kinda want those.

Just building a flat floor was a pain in the rear end for my Starlight drive n

I'm not gonna lie, it took a while to get the knack for it, but...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

StandardVC10 posted:

Faster imo

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

CrashCat posted:

Well if it's 2 then I guess I don't need to be a cabin boy, but I'd still like some folks to run around with murdering radscorpions and poo poo. Also if it's not 3 it begs the question of why to bother including the PVP at all, but I'm not a game developer...

I can't even imagine how #1 would work, you'd have to deliberately avoid contact but also lure people away somehow so that you could take all their stuff.

I'm betting they don't want the game to turn into RUST or Ark, where you end up with this horrible grind of poopsocking resource gathering in order to have enough defenses to ward off groups with even more dudes and even more free time.

Hopefully they add a hardcore mode or something similar where you drop stuff on death and generally have to play the game more like a paranoid survival sim.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I'm betting they don't want the game to turn into RUST or Ark, where you end up with this horrible grind of poopsocking resource gathering in order to have enough defenses to ward off groups with even more dudes and even more free time.

Hopefully they add a hardcore mode or something similar where you drop stuff on death and generally have to play the game more like a paranoid survival sim.

At this point they've just announced a game that is "wandering around the skyrim map exploring one room caves without any other major plot line" and added "and occasionally swaglord69 will murder you for no well explained reason or gain but you'll just move past it and heal"

It's loss.jpg, the video game

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm expecting Fallout themed Minecraft and I'm totally okay with that.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

StandardVC10 posted:

I went with Bite harder, he's already super fast.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

HFCS posted:

This has some stuff I hadn't seen before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjt9TioKPsc

SPECIAL relates to specific jobs you can have. Building and crafting levels you just as combat would. Hostile players show up as red pings just like hostile raiders/muties would. Game tells you if it's someone who has harassed you before and you get revenge-kill bonus (amounts are probably still being adjusted). I'm no longer biting my nails nervously at this, and am actually quite excited to see what is to come.

this is a good video although he misidentified the players water meter for bleeding damage

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Dalael posted:

Please do, I'd love to see it. I actually read a bit about the mod and was really tempted until I decided to do my run at legendary, but i might add it for my normal modded game.

So here's a few screenshots from my Sanctuary Hills running SimSettlements, Rise of the Commonwealth. Sanctuary is currently Level-2, and I'm pumped to see what Level-3 looks like but it's taking about as long in game as it did to go from Level-0 to Level-2. The other places I have SimSettlements at aren't nearly this full - they're mostly Level-1 or lower.

All of this (with the exception of some lighting, turrets and workbenches I've added into more convenient locations) was generated by the blueprint file for each individual settlement. They build and expand over time, so it's a great way to save yourself the headache if you don't wanna dick around with a filing cabinet for 20 minutes trying to get the pixels lined up correctly.

Gallery: https://imgur.com/a/hlnkOyN

HFCS
Oct 16, 2013

Donovan Trip posted:

this is a good video although he misidentified the players water meter for bleeding damage

I am willing to forgive that for all the rest of the information he provided :p

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

HFCS posted:

I am willing to forgive that for all the rest of the information he provided :p

deeeefintely. I went down a rabbit hole watching all the videos he has on F76 and I honestly think 76 could be the greatest Bethesda Fallout game.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is fallout 76 gonna be on steam or are they trying to make their own game app? They don't list steam under their retailers on their site so I'm guessing its not going to be on steam.

Kinda like a red flag to me. I already have ubisoft and ea accounts but I never even reload those launchers because they have like no games on their poo poo.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 21, 2018

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

They already have an app, which is used for Legends and Shelter (but not for ESO which has its own), and with a download link to the app on the site it's likely they are going to use it. Which is great, steam can get hosed.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

CrashCat posted:

Doesn't matter to me, though I can't tell if the code restricts me or not since it just goes on Bethesda's site. I've got both Xbox and PS4 as well as an alright PC. In the unlikely event I actually like the game I could just cancel my Amazon order and order a different platform. I guess Xbox One is supposed to open first but I also expect that to be least popular.

We have about 7 of us planning on buying the game and I know 5 for sure want to mostly PvE and build. We will be playing on the PS4. Add me on there if you are playing on that platform. I'm Mr_Hootington on psn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Otacon posted:

So here's a few screenshots from my Sanctuary Hills running SimSettlements, Rise of the Commonwealth. Sanctuary is currently Level-2, and I'm pumped to see what Level-3 looks like but it's taking about as long in game as it did to go from Level-0 to Level-2. The other places I have SimSettlements at aren't nearly this full - they're mostly Level-1 or lower.

All of this (with the exception of some lighting, turrets and workbenches I've added into more convenient locations) was generated by the blueprint file for each individual settlement. They build and expand over time, so it's a great way to save yourself the headache if you don't wanna dick around with a filing cabinet for 20 minutes trying to get the pixels lined up correctly.

Gallery: https://imgur.com/a/hlnkOyN

Wow, it certainly keeps the feel of a town built using available junk. I love it! I think i'll definitely add it to my normal game. Regarding the blueprints, are there many available one or its a default thing and that's how they'll build period?